Things being Discontinued the Fall?

SilvertoGold

Many of us would miss that A LOT.

No HAL cruise is complete for me until we hear Love In Any Language.

Hope you are mistaken...... :(

You are not kidding...it chokes me up every time!! (Maybe because that means the cruise is ending...)

For the longest time, I went to the Disembarkation Talk not because I needed to hear how to leave the ship (have no fear, they will get you off), but to hear the song Love In Any Language.

Eventually, I realized that I don't have to sit through the talk, just show up when the crew is gathering for the farewell walk and the song. And so, that is exactly what I do now.

I would miss it terribly if I didn't get the warm & fuzzies from it at the end of every cruise. :(

One way that HAL could cut costs would be doing away with all of the extra perks for ALL of their loyal customers and making everyone equal. No more special cocktail parties or meals. No more medals like kids get for winning the 100 yard dash in 5th grade. No more free laundry, The list goes on and on. I know because I too get it! Those that love HAL and have cruised many times will still return. New cruisers could be offered more bang for their buck, and everyone could enjoy everything without seeing all of the snooty old timers walking around the ship thinking how much better they are than everyone else and comparing who's list of past cruises is bigger than the other guys. What a wonderful world it would be.

On one level, it would seem strange to get less loyalty recognition as a repeat cruise customer than I get from my supermarket! On the other hand, I'd gladly forego the lunch and tile if it meant bringing back the "real" Adagio, but that's not gonna happen anyway.

...everyone could enjoy everything without seeing all of the snooty old timers walking around the ship thinking how much better they are than everyone else and comparing who's list of past cruises is bigger than the other guys...

My my, we are a bit touchy, aren't we. I think this tells more about the writer than the people being spoken about.

Scott & Karen

I'm the oddball here. I'm not a fan of "love in any language". It's just too much. I won't miss it at all, not that I've gone to a disembarkation talk lately.

You are not the only oddball here.

We haven't listened to "Love In Any Language" in years.

And we don't miss it.

The last time we went to a disembarkation talk was back in the early 90's.

One way that HAL could cut costs would be doing away with all of the extra perks for ALL of their loyal customers and making everyone equal. No more special cocktail parties or meals. No more medals like kids get for winning the 100 yard dash in 5th grade. No more free laundry, The list goes on and on. I know because I too get it! Those that love HAL and have cruised many times will still return. New cruisers could be offered more bang for their buck, and everyone could enjoy everything without seeing all of the snooty old timers walking around the ship thinking how much better they are than everyone else and comparing who's list of past cruises is bigger than the other guys. What a wonderful world it would be.

Interesting post.

The Mariner Society is a marketing program, pure and simple. It is one more way to compete for one cruise line to compete with others.

"Snooty old timers"? Hmm. We haven't met any of those yet. But we have met some really nice "high" Mariners, very self-effacing, great story tellers, super table companions. It is about personality, not how many days!

One thing HAL could do to reduce cost and save the environment is update their mailing list.

Until recently, we were in our last house for over 10 years. Throughout that time we rec'd multiple, duplicate mailings addressed to

-me

-DW

-oddly enough DW AND the previous home owner (do they know something that I don't)

-the previous owner and his spouse

This went on for just shy of 11 years. The new owner is probably still receiving three copies of each mailer....and putting them directly into the recycle bin as we did.

We do not miss the attention.

They should discontinue this process or lack thereof.

We called twice. First time nothing happened....the stuff just kept coming.

The second time I hung up after 15 plus minutes on hold.

Perhaps it is contracted out. Don't care anymore because we moved.

Many of us would miss that A LOT.

No HAL cruise is complete for me until we hear Love In Any Language.

Hope you are mistaken...... :(

No, definitely going to be no more :( Unless they decide to perform in in one of the cast shows but since there is no more Disembarkation Talk, no more Love in Any Language as well.

You are not the only oddball here.

We haven't listened to "Love In Any Language" in years.

And we don't miss it.

The last time we went to a disembarkation talk was back in the early 90's.

No need to go to Disembarkation Talk.

They play it again and again on the TV. I listen to Love In Any Language when I am packing. Sometimes I even listen to it twice. :eek: :cool: :D

No, definitely going to be no more :( Unless they decide to perform in in one of the cast shows but since there is no more Disembarkation Talk, no more Love in Any Language as well.

They could play a tape of the song while we are all disembarking the ship.

I'm the oddball here. I'm not a fan of "love in any language". It's just too much. I won't miss it at all, not that I've gone to a disembarkation talk lately.

I also can't stand that "performance." It comes across to me (yes, to me--maybe not to you [that's a general "you"]) as stilted and fake. And I have other things to do on the last day of my cruise than attend all or part of the disembarkation shakedown, er, talk.

I also can't stand that "performance." It comes across to me (yes, to me--maybe not to you [that's a general "you"]) as stilted and fake. And I have other things to do on the last day of my cruise than attend all or part of the disembarkation shakedown, er, talk.

I have to agree. I'm also not a fan of the napkin swirling ritual in the MDR either. Wish that would go too.

On another thread Lisa noted that there are a "few things that are going away this fall, one I think will shock everyone"

This really made me sit up and take notice and think!

Anyone have any ideas, bets?

I suggest the Disembarkation Talk, mostly because that would shock me.

Otherwise, but not in the shocking category, the Captain's Reception, end of cruise questionaires, day of the week elevator mats.

Any ideas about what HAL has planned?

(1) Future cruise deposit availability

(2) Shareholder credits

Either of those going away would SHOCK me.

:rolleyes: Maybe the shock is bringing back the Lido trays? Oh those were the days ... remember those posts!

(1) Future cruise deposit availability

(2) Shareholder credits

Either of those going away would SHOCK me.

:rolleyes: Maybe the shock is bringing back the Lido trays? Oh those were the days ... remember those posts!

Good suggestions, but not great changes!

Lido trays.....I remember well. Seems that most are surviving without them!

I have to agree. I'm also not a fan of the napkin swirling ritual in the MDR either. Wish that would go too.

I totally agree. There is such an emphasis on using Purell to help eliminate germs and then they have people wave dirty napkins around just before dessert. Why??

You guys are wasting your time. Go to the Princess boards. Their wine policy was similar to HAL. Now, passengers are charged for the wine brought on, except for 1 bottle pp. In some cases, the bottles were taken and stamped (when brought on) and then delivered, after their onboard accounts were charged. They pay $15 per bottle. I hope HAL has the decency to not charge more than that, like the $18 they currently charge for corkage.

This policy is for wine consumed anywhere on the ship.

Mark my word....this is going to be it. All of those people who drank their wine around the ship ruined it for all of us. Of course, people like that will be the last to truly feel any responsibility for this change. I hope I can eat my words, but if Princess is doing this, you know HAL will follow!! Actually, HAL could disallow all wine --hope that doesn't happen!

if hal discontinues, cuts-back, reduces, or whatever much more, it will become 'ocean village,' and we'll be cleaning our own bathrooms and making our own beds; maybe bringing our own food onboard -- for a food fee, of course. all of this is leading somewhere folks, a little nibble at a time. you can bet the people at hal have a 'long-term plan.' lord knows, i hate it all; it is a torture for me to see the cruise line i once loved for its style, elegance, dining, and service slowly go down the drain. awful, but i suppose inevitable.

if hal discontinues, cuts-back, reduces, or whatever much more, it will become 'ocean village,' and we'll be cleaning our own bathrooms and making our own beds; maybe bringing our own food onboard -- for a food fee, of course. all of this is leading somewhere folks, a little nibble at a time. you can bet the people at hal have a 'long-term plan.' lord knows, i hate it all; it is a torture for me to see the cruise line i once loved for its style, elegance, dining, and service slowly go down the drain. awful, but i suppose inevitable.

HAL is not what it once was because it would cost more to provide that level of service/food etc. Those are facts---plain and simple. That has been discussed here over and over. That is why those who can afford it sail on luxury/lite lines.

For what we pay for our cabins, we could sail any cruise line we wish.

We sail only HAL so blanket statements about those who pay more going elsewhere are too generalized. Some of us recognize the changes at HAL but elect to continue sailing the cruise line we love with the officers/crew/staff who are so special.

For what we pay for our cabins, we could sail any cruise line we wish.

We sail only HAL so blanket statements about those who pay more going elsewhere are too generalized. Some of us recognize the changes at HAL but elect to continue sailing the cruise line we love with the officers/crew/staff who are so special.

The people going elsewhere are those who are unhappy. You are obviously still satisfied. You are able to live with and overlook the changes. If people want the HAL of old, they are not going to get it by complaining on CC. All the cruiselines have changed in the 35 years we've been cruising. The luxury lines keep raising their prices and people keep paying, since that is what they want. If HAL raised rates, people balk. It will never happen.

I am a little confused....what I meant was the luxury lines have what HAL did have, back in the day. For what we are paying for our upcoming Prinsendam cruise, it would be cheaper to sail on Regent. Especially if the wine policy changes!

The people going elsewhere are those who are unhappy. You are obviously still satisfied. You are able to live with and overlook the changes. If people want the HAL of old, they are not going to get it by complaining on CC. All the cruiselines have changed in the 35 years we've been cruising. The luxury lines keep raising their prices and people keep paying, since that is what they want. If HAL raised rates, people balk. It will never happen.

I am a little confused....what I meant was the luxury lines have what HAL did have, back in the day. For what we are paying for our upcoming Prinsendam cruise, it would be cheaper to sail on Regent. Especially if the wine policy changes!

Good post.

Generally, HAL has to compete with standard lines, not the premium and luxury ones, so they can't very well raise pricing much.

As you note, the Prinsendam does compete with premium/luxury lines in many ways.

Archived