Oceania 2015 World Cruise

Andy

I got the E Mail today, the trip is just great however the part that stops me is I could never digest all of those great places in such a short time, there is just so much to see! I know for Oceania this is a big undertaking and I am very happy it is working out well, for those who go have a great time as I know you will, and for the ships officers good luck as there are lots of strange ports, it's a lot different than going NY to Bermuda each week!!

Also, the repeating menus might get old after a couple of months.

We have done 21 days and 25 and they do repeat more often than one might expect.

Although on Nautica in March they did have some lovely new items and the selections from Jacques and Red Ginger are a nice addition to the GDR.

Mo

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Maybe this is one of those special cases where the Cancellation penalty should be higher & kick in earlier Eg 270 days out :confused:

Some people may just book the cruise to get the cabin they want then cancel part of the cruise when the segments open up in Sept

Just guessing on that scenario

Congratulations to those that have the time, money & inclination to do the cruise :)

Lyn

We thought about doing that on one of our recent bookings on Oceania.

We had booked back-to-back cruises and got a significant discount for doing so. We booked a B2 veranda on Nautica (same room for both legs), got prepaid gratuities, reduced deposit etc. Our schedule changed and we asked if we could cancel the second leg and retain our room on the first - they said no dice. They viewed it as a single booking - we would have to cancel the entire itinerary and rebook. Unfortunately, the only option available was a C2 Outside so we cancelled the whole thing. They're very inflexible.

Steve

I absolutely would go bonkers on a ship the size of Insignia for 180 days (although some would say I already am bonkers).

I posted on another thread that my wife and I agreed that one of us would smother the other in their sleep after being in a cabin that long together.

I told her she would have no worry, because I would probably die from the food after the second month. :cool:

I could not be on ANY ship for that long -- big or small.

This could meet the very definition of "cabin fever."

I know there is a lot of excitement now -- and rightfully so -- but we all know about buyer's remorse. A little more careful thought may change some minds. It is really quite a commitment. I think it really will be interesting to see how many folks want this type of experience.

I for one hope that will not let folks book the whole cruise as a placeholder for getting a particular segment -- although if they change the booking on the day the segments open, their same cabin will be available.

We thought about doing that on one of our recent bookings on Oceania.

We had booked back-to-back cruises and got a significant discount for doing so. We booked a B2 veranda on Nautica (same room for both legs), got prepaid gratuities, reduced deposit etc. Our schedule changed and we asked if we could cancel the second leg and retain our room on the first - they said no dice. They viewed it as a single booking - we would have to cancel the entire itinerary and rebook. Unfortunately, the only option available was a C2 Outside so we cancelled the whole thing. They're very inflexible.

Steve

Did you deal direct with Oceania??

Seems odd you could not cancel 1 of the cruises...you would lose the B2B discount but you should be able to keep the cabin :confused::confused:

I guess I have never cancelled the 2nd leg of a B2B that I can recall

but I have added the 2nd cruise & my TA managed to get me the same cabin for both cruises but timing is everything in those cases

. Just think how boring the special rest would be as the menu never changes.

I could not agree more.

On our 21 day cruise by the time we had our 4th trip to the specialties, it got old. For 180 days they would not be that special.

Maybe they will do something different for the world cruise -- add mre specials etc. Could be done.

"Some people may just book the cruise to get the cabin they want then cancel part of the cruise when the segments open up in Sept

Just guessing on that scenario"

I don't think that would be possible, most catagories are waitlisted for the full world cruise and the people on the waitlist would move into position before individual cancellations of World cruise bookings would be opened to segmenters and when the segment offerings are offered on September 17 there will undoubtably be others waitlisted for most catagories on the segments as well so people pulling such shenanigans would likely find them selves far down on the segment waitlist and likely without a cabin for the World Cruise or its segments.

"Some people may just book the cruise to get the cabin they want then cancel part of the cruise when the segments open up in Sept

Just guessing on that scenario"

I don't think that would be possible, most catagories are waitlisted for the full world cruise and the people on the waitlist would move into position before individual cancellations of World cruise bookings would be opened to segmenters and when the segment offerings are offered on September 17 there will undoubtably be others waitlisted for most catagories on the segments as well so people pulling such shenanigans would likely find them selves far down on the segment waitlist and likely without a cabin for the World Cruise or its segments.

Well I guess if the ship is fully booked then no need for segments to be offered

Time will tell how it works out

Sounds like more people can do a 6mth cruise than anticipated

Well I guess if the ship is fully booked then no need for segments to be offered

Time will tell how it works out

Sounds like more people can do a 6mth cruise than anticipated

If you go on line to Oceania all categories are open.

At 5:30am (Pacific time)this morning (July 17) my travel agent was unable to book any of the 6 Owners suites because they were already taken,she was only able to join the waitlists for those suites at that time so Oceania definately hasn't updated their public Computer listings.

We had our booking in just after 8 Am this morning. Our agent checked again around 2:30 this afternoon and all categories were listed as either sold out or waitlisted.

We are not worried about repeating menus but more about repeating shows. If the ship is full or near full of full w/c passengers repeating any shows after each segment would result in an empty lounge before long.

Good luck to everyone who is going on the 180 day cruise including friends of ours. We were hoping to do one of the segments but at the rate that this cruise is booking, I doubt if there will be any cabins left.

I too, couldn't be away for such a long time. Not only would we miss our family and friends but being away from our home and garden would be catastrophic. Also, I know that we couldn't spend 180 days on that size ship. We love them dearly but I think 50 days would be our limit.

Jennie

We had our booking in just after 8 Am this morning. Our agent checked again around 2:30 this afternoon and all categories were listed as either sold out or waitlisted.

We are not worried about repeating menus but more about repeating shows. If the ship is full or near full of full w/c passengers repeating any shows after each segment would result in an empty lounge before long.

When we were last on Oceania, on the Nautica, there weren't any shows at night. Only our Cruise Director sang a few times but nothing like the shows as seen on the other cruise lines.

Has Oceania changed and are now doing proper shows?

Jennie

It was really crazy this morning at 8am! Even the rez agents couldn't believe how quickly availability was changing.

Right now... OS, VS are waitlisted. PH1-3 Sold out. A1 one cabin A2 decent, A3 gty only, B1 and 2 sold out, C1 one cabin..... C2 and D Sold out, E waitlist F and G waitlist.

Deposits are due by July 24.... so we'll see what happens then......

I've haven't seen anything this crazy since QE2's final voyage opened up for sale.

It was really crazy this morning at 8am! Even the rez agents couldn't believe how quickly availability was changing.

Right now... OS, VS are waitlisted. PH1-3 Sold out. A1 one cabin A2 decent, A3 gty only, B1 and 2 sold out, C1 one cabin..... C2 and D Sold out, E waitlist F and G waitlist.

I've haven't seen anything this crazy since QE2's final voyage opened up for sale.

Now that's in accordance with what my TA said!!

Deposits have not yet been paid on the reservations --

Question??? For the 180 day sailing do they have a certain number of cabins up for grabs ie 350 pax or is the whole ship booked at 684 pax? Way unbelievable to me to comprehend a sell out on day 1 for 684 pax.

I have sailed the "R" ships and I do not think I could do 180 days even in a PH..way too close for me. And the more we eat the closer it will become:D

However, I do wish those sailing on this incredible journey , a wonderful lifetime experience.

[quote=Waynetor;39177418

We are not worried about repeating menus but more about repeating shows.

Cannot resist, sorry.

I don't want to see most of the shows once!

No one should book this cruise for the entertainment.

Question??? For the 180 day sailing do they have a certain number of cabins up for grabs ie 350 pax or is the whole ship booked at 684 pax? Way unbelievable to me to comprehend a sell out on day 1 for 684 pax.

I too wondered about that. The cost aside, I have trouble believing that 684 people have the time and stamina to be on a small ship for 180 days.

But, as hard as it is to believe, I have been wrong before (once) :D