Oceania 2015 World Cruise

Andy

For the cost of pet boarding (5 dogs) we could send them on their own cruise.. $100/day x 180 =18K :( or buy my house sitter a new car.

I vote for sending the dogs on their own cruise (with me as a chaperon) :D

OK I for one is really enthused with this itin!!! If at all possible we will be the ones booking the full 180 days. Several of the segments have been on our wish list for awhile so why not do the whole thing in one shot!!! THE BEST RETIREMENT PRESENT EVER!!!!!!

Love all of the overnight stays in so many of the major ports. And don't mind losing an hour for each time zone since there are still lots of lazy sea days to make up for it.

OK I for one is really enthused with this itin!!! If at all possible we will be the ones booking the full 180 days. Several of the segments have been on our wish list for awhile so why not do the whole thing in one shot!!! THE BEST RETIREMENT PRESENT EVER!!!!!!

Love all of the overnight stays in so many of the major ports. And don't mind losing an hour for each time zone since there are still lots of lazy sea days to make up for it.

Cathi, you are among many..I am surprised how many people want to take the whole trip!!

Jancruz1

Cathi, you are among many..I am surprised how many people want to take the whole trip!!

Jancruz1

Jan - I'm not surprised. DH took one look at the itin and figured instead of 12 long flights to do 6 different cruises, we could take a short hop to Miami and cruise the itin of all 6 other cruises. Won't be going for any of the suites but a base balcony is doable. Nice that Oceania will look after all the visa's for us too.

Cathi

As part of the medical end of this cruise, people should consider their prescription needs. Around here, the Medicare/BC folk keep a very tight rein on the number of days they will set up pills in advance. (Can't even begin to imagine what it would be for things like insulin!)

When we went to NZ/Australia (Regatta) and were gone for 3 weeks, our doctors had to contact the insurer to get an adequate supply issued by the local pharmacy. Plus we had to have doctor certified lists of meds for NZ. (The most recent trip to Alaska, had me short by one day on one medication, but I decided it wasn't worth the hassle and refilled it 2 days ago after getting home.)

And don't count on being able to get meds in or into certain other countries. When working for a major US corp in Brazil, and having to overstay his planned itinerary by 2 weeks (exceeding the packed extras we had planned), it was an unbelievable hassle for me, the doc, the corp, to get a package of medicine into the country for my husband, and then up to Manaus, where he was.

This can probably be worked around, but docs today have so much excess paperwork, they just loove :rolleyes: these special requests. :eek:

Re Shining Clem: you bring up an important point regarding medications.

We've been away from home in foreign countries for 4 months at a time. I had no trouble obtaining meds to cover us for that length of time from our insurance carrier. But our meds are fairly straight forward and don't require refrigeration. AND I'm talking about a 4 months supply, not 6.

Prospective pax on this GREAT journey could have a conversation with their insurance carrier and their MD. Perhaps all that would be needed is a brief statement including dates of travel by the physician on either office letterhead or on an Rx form.

I think in a lot of cases the problem would not be the doctor giving a prescription for the time but the insurance paying for it. Worst case just pay fot it out of pocket.

To clarify: the statement written by the physician on a prescription form or on office letterhead would be an "appeal" to the insurance company for their consideration to cover the cost for 6 months of medication so the insuree would have enough meds for their cruise.

As long as the person has insurance coverage for the 6 months that they're away, there is a good chance that their meds would be covered.

It's worth a try anyway. It doesn't take long for the physician to write a few lines. I guess if you can afford to take a 180 day cruise around the world you can pay out of pocket but you shouldn't have to if you have Rx insurance coverage.

I received my brochure yesterday and stayed preoccupied with it all day. I love FDRs introduction--once again Oceania is setting the bar for the industry by offering the most exciting luxury World Cruise ever. Like Cathi, I love the overnights and the itinerary.

One of the things I've learned taking 35-day cruises is at the end, I am ready to keep going! After 35-days, friendships have formed, trivia teams are defined, and the crew and passengers are in a comfortable routing.

My only "problem" with this itinerary is I have a son going into his sophomore year of high school and my only option is to take him or leave him (can't leave him that long), but over the last 48-hours I've seriously considered "home schooling" him for a semester of his Junior year at sea. I loved his company from Capetown to Singapore and despite his age I enjoy traveling with him. Ten years from the cruise I'm sure both of us would remember it as one of the highlights of our life.

The other factor is cost and time away from work. Not sure I can manage 6-months away. Most of my business happens in 4th quarter, so there is a small chance I can make it work. If I can't afford the cruise and time away I just hope that Oceania offers this again after my son graduates and I am at least "semi" retired so I can do it. There is no question in my mind that if I could take this, I would, and there is no certainty that this cruise will happen again. Calling it the "cruise-of-a-lifetime" doesn't do it justice!

I'm excited for those of you who know you can go!

Jack - Sure hope you can work something out. It would be wonderful to cruise with you again. Sounds a like a plan to home school your son. Besides he will learn so much more about the "real" world on a trip like this. He might miss his friends although if you book the full trip there is "free" internet!!!!

Thanks, Cathi. It would be great to cruise with you again too. And I agree. He would learn much about the "real" world on this trip. He still talks about our Oceania trip to Burma. It was eye opening and an amazing place to go. I was excited to see that it is on this itinerary.

Jack - Sure hope you can work something out. It would be wonderful to cruise with you again. Sounds a like a plan to home school your son. Besides he will learn so much more about the "real" world on a trip like this. He might miss his friends although if you book the full trip there is "free" internet!!!!
Edited by JackfromWA

As part of the medical end of this cruise, people should consider their prescription needs. Around here, the Medicare/BC folk keep a very tight rein on the number of days they will set up pills in advance. (Can't even begin to imagine what it would be for things like insulin!)

Luckily, here in Ontario, so far, we've been able to get a "vacation supply" of prescription meds of up to 6 months to take to Florida in the winter. This worked both for our insurer, and now for medicare, now that we're both over 65 (prescription drugs are free after 65 here.)

My longest cruise has been 14 days so far--a WC used to attract me, but I think it would be too long for me (and too expensive!)

To clarify: the statement written by the physician on a prescription form or on office letterhead would be an "appeal" to the insurance company for their consideration to cover the cost for 6 months of medication so the insuree would have enough meds for their cruise.

As long as the person has insurance coverage for the 6 months that they're away, there is a good chance that their meds would be covered.

It's worth a try anyway. It doesn't take long for the physician to write a few lines. I guess if you can afford to take a 180 day cruise around the world you can pay out of pocket but you shouldn't have to if you have Rx insurance coverage.

Did a 115 nite World Cruise this year and had the same concerns over Meds since we are only allowed a 90 day supply by our insurance. Both DW and I started early buying refills after only 2 months which was the allowed refill time and ended up with about a 150 day supply.

Simply plan ahead about a year early or so and the 180 day supply is easily achieved. As for meds requiring refrigeration, cruised with several people needing to refrigerate their meds and they kept some in their room refrigerator and the balance was easily kept in the medical center where they could draw it out.

Also read about another World Cruise a few years ago where people planned on refilling their meds in India where the meds were identical to what they bought in the states and no prescription needed. Not sure we would go this route but, others did on that WC and everything seemed to work out well.

Dave, you wrote -

DW and I started early buying refills after only 2 months which was the allowed refill time and ended up with about a 150 day supply.

We used to be able to do that, but NYS has changed things and one can't renew in advance now either. And the previously unnamed major X corp. changed their coverage & carrier to retirees. Currently we are supposed to be able to get a 90 day supply, but all the local pharmacies dole things out in 30 day allotments. It's a PITA for patients, docs, etc. Some people with other coverages are still forced to do mail order, which for some reason can be filled for 90 days. Every year or two the rules change, and every week one of us is going to the drug store.

Imagine that! TX more liberal than NY! :confused: :D The point I think we are both trying to make, is people should look into this aspect well ahead of time. Who's not to say one's needs, dosages, might not change in the course of 6 months?

The cruise is a lovely idea, which stretches the imagination! (And being Oceania, maybe the waistline too!)

Well Clem, would like to say that Texas is more reasonable than New York and leave out the politics. Actually my DW can also only get 30 day supply from the local pharmacy and then has to order thru Medco now Express Scripts and they are all over the country with orders coming from various places. Really don't think it is state law, it is simply explaining things to the company and asking for the meds sooner based on not being able to order them later or simply telling them that we are going on an extended vacation and need our meds. They were glad to help.

By the way, I am on a Medicare Advantage plan which doesn't have mail order but, has the clinic Pharmacy or a local Food Store Pharmacy as their preferred pharmacy and I did the same as my DW and had no problem accumulating the necessary meds. Pretty sure this should work anywhere in the country and the Insurance Company if shown a copy of the itinerary should simply authorize the necessary meds. After all, much cheaper for them to provide the meds than to pay for hospitalization or doctor's visits. Both our insurances provide coverage throughout the world.

Thanks for the comments and yes, whatever you do, pre plan as am sure the ship's doctor won't have everyones necessary meds.

would like to say that Texas is more reasonable than New York and leave out the politics.

The last week being a prime example. :rolleyes:

At any rate we will not have to worry about collecting meds for a 6 month trip, unless we win the Powerball. :cool: Hope some can work the finances & logistics to take advantage of this opportunity - maybe even you.

The Clem-ster sends you a play bow and a tail wag -

I find it kind of humorous that they are offering first class air to full world cruisers. Considering that the cruise begins and ends in Miami, that's not much of a perk for North American guests.

And only to US customers departing from one of the listed hubs. For us poor Europeans there is no flight included :(

Jancruz1

We do! It is difficult to find a World Cruise (which we are planning to do) that covers both the Far East and Australia.

We do! It is difficult to find a World Cruise (which we are planning to do) that covers both the Far East and Australia.

Funny thing there is already a roll call thread and you can't even book it yet!!!!!

Bliksembe - we had looked at several cruises that did the Aussie portion and one that did the portion that includes Borneo & Manila but also wanted the Capetown to Singapore. Now it's all in one!!! The only thing I'd change is to skip Togo & Benin for going further down Brazil - at least to Rio!!

My one thought is it's a shame that this world cruise is not on the Marina or Riviera. Over the course of six months it would be nice to have a couple more restaurants to choose from. I understand of course that it would be hard to sell 1250 berths for that long a time. Just thinking out loud I guess.

My one thought is it's a shame that this world cruise is not on the Marina or Riviera. Over the course of six months it would be nice to have a couple more restaurants to choose from. I understand of course that it would be hard to sell 1250 berths for that long a time. Just thinking out loud I guess.

If they are going to sell the cruise in segments what difference would it make :confused:

Possible docking at some of the smaller ports would be an issue with Marina and Riviera.