Dollar or Reals in Brazil

Anna201213

I do have a guide booked in Rio for next December who said that he does want to be paid in cash in dollars. I was quite surprised. Our guides in other Brazilian ports want reis.

Even if they take US dollars, the local vendors will have to figure out the exchange rate and you will not get a favorable rate.

Taxis and many restaurants and the majority of stores will expect to be paid in the local currency.

The wholesale international exchange rate is now 2.26 reais for 1 US dollar.There is a not insignificant delta in the buy and sell rates of reais and US dollars. For example, if a Brasilian wants to buy dollars (to travel) he will have to pay about 2.33 reais, but if you are trading your dollars for reais you will get about 2.18 per dollar. Locals who intend to travel will want to be paid in dollars to save the expense of purchasing them later on.

Ries all the way. Spent a week in Rio last x-mas and you'll want cash. Most places take credit cards, but still - get some ries. Have fun in Rio - it's a fantastic city and can't wait to go back some day!

Thanks for the replies. I will bring reis in cash and can't wait visiting Rio. Everyday I check weather in Rio and Buenos Aires and there is 10 degrees between is it the same during december

Remember your best exchange rates will be at an ATM at the airport or in Rio. ;)

Thanks for the replies. I will bring reis in cash and can't wait visiting Rio. Everyday I check weather in Rio and Buenos Aires and there is 10 degrees between is it the same during december

For the record, as pointed out by Evita - the currency is Real - plural REAIS (not reis); and you will definitely need them in Rio.

Archived