Help me understand why are "fees" higher on X?

tofubeast

I fully acknowledge this is kind of a dumb question, but I am curious regardless.

I compared two cruises and went with similar pricing (cabin location) and the EXACT ports and week/year. I also notice X was higher for similar cruise etc... vs. Princess and HAL.

Carnival $2754 +166.99 (8 night cruise)

NCCF (Port Charges) Included in price: $229.00/person. Prices are per person/double occupancy and exclude taxes and fees of $166.99 (estimated).

Celebrity (S-class) $2758 +242.18 (7 night cruise)

NCCF (Port Charges) Included in price: $235.00/person. Prices are per person/double occupancy and exclude taxes and fees of $242.18 (estimated).

What makes up the fee? Inquiring minds want to know. So do procrastinating minds bored at work. ;)

I fully acknowledge this is kind of a dumb question, but I am curious regardless.

I compared two cruises and went with similar pricing (cabin location) and the EXACT ports and week/year. I also notice X was higher for similar cruise etc... vs. Princess and HAL.

NCCF (Port Charges) Included in price: $229.00/person. Prices are per person/double occupancy and exclude taxes and fees of $166.99 (estimated).

NCCF (Port Charges) Included in price: $235.00/person. Prices are per person/double occupancy and exclude taxes and fees of $242.18 (estimated).

What makes up the fee? Inquiring minds want to know. So do procrastinating minds bored at work. ;)

Don't know if size of ship counts or not....might be...or maybe every line has different agreements with the ports.....but boy if I was debating that comparison there would be NO question which I would choose, and it would NOT be the less expensive of the two....

What are the ports, the ships, and the length of time in the ports? Some charges may be per passenger, some by ship length or tonnage, some are hourly, some may be negotiated with the port authorities.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

So many different reasons, but cruises are not just about the bottom line...I also know which one I would not hesitate to pick! If money is your most important criteria, go with the cheapest price. The ships are all different in many aspects.

I booked a Baltic cruise onboard Celebrity this past May/June on a cruise. So far, the cruise has gone up over $1,000 pp. That doesn't count the OBC or the levels extended to us. However, I have noticed each time that this cruise has gone up in price, and am surprised that it keeps up this pace. Sure, I'm feeling great, but where is the ceiling and what's the real cause...I am just happy that I belong to a site that keeps track of these things for me so that I can make a good decision.:confused::D

Look at the difference in port charges for Bermuda between X and NCL. NCL last year was way higher for the same time period. Port charges may be based on the size of the ship.

Plus taxes and fees have origin to do with how much you paid for your cruise. Everyone pays the same no matter what cabin they're in.

As for the difference in the price of a cruise it depends on perceived value, what they offer and what people are willing to pay.

Another possible difference in port charges could be if one ship was docking, and the other was tendering. Also, the ports may have gotten sophisticated enough to have a demand pricing algorithm, like the cruise lines where the price varies depending on the current demand.

What are the ports, the ships, and the length of time in the ports? Some charges may be per passenger, some by ship length or tonnage, some are hourly, some may be negotiated with the port authorities.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

It's the Seattle to Alaska RT cruise.

And yes, I went with X.

The itinerary's would have to be identical to compare these two cruises. Each port charges a different amount.

PORT TAXES AND FEES These are the taxes and fees charged by the various government and port authorities at the ports where your ship calls, the cruise line passes these fees along to the passengers. These typically cover the cost of docking and use of the port facilities; "parking fees" for your ship if you will. And certain government authorities impose a "head tax" on cruise passengers, which is used to maintain and improve the ports infrastructure.

http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/before/cost.cfm

I've noticed different TAs listing different port charges and fees for the same cruise. I've noticed changes in port charges and fees for the same cruiseas price adjustments are made in the base price of the cruise. I've come to believe that the fees are sometimes "hidden" in the total price so that you might think that one agency is charging less for the cabin. The only way to really compare the price is by looking at the bottom line. How they get there is not really a factor for me. The "real value" of a cruise is the "value to you". Some lines would never be a value to me since they don't fulfill my desires as a cruiser. The difference in a few hundred dollars might make a difference in my selection of cabin, but not cruise. If I find a cruise I like at a price I can afford, I book. I'm not concerned how the cruise line or TA gets to the final price.

Archived