Last Night Luggage on Celebrity

Bleon9

We are sailing on the Summit in October and would like to know if we can keep our luggage in our cabin on the last night so after breakfast we can disembark without waiting. My sister said she was able to do this on RCL and Carnival.

This is called Self Disembarking.

You need to be able to move your luggage without assistance and it is not appropriate for those with mobility issues.

A few days before the end of the cruise you will receive a form in your stateroom where you will specify your disembarkation preferences.

Choose Self Disembark and you will be among the first off the ship, with all your luggage.

We are sailing on the Summit in October and would like to know if we can keep our luggage in our cabin on the last night so after breakfast we can disembark without waiting. My sister said she was able to do this on RCL and Carnival.

Indeed you can with self disembarkation. Looks like we are sailing on the same cruise :-) I might opt for that option this go round too since there's no need to wait around as I live in NJ.

Don't you still have to wait in line at customs? I don't see how this saves any time.

It saves a lot of time. Can't speak to any of the Celebrity ships as we're booked on Reflection after a hiatus of 12 yrs from Celebrity; however, with HA we sailed last Apr. with another couple who could not self-disembark as we could. Couple rented separate car to go down & return. We were at a car rental by 8:30; they did not get to a car rental until 10:30.

They spent a long time waiting for their "color" to be called and an even longer time in line. By contrast, we were on our way home while they were still sitting around on the ship.

Self disembarkation can be challenging to say the least. It does allow you off the ship early BUT you do have to maintain your luggage through the ship. That might entail crowded elevators and corridors and the possibility of using the stairs. At the very least you cannot use the escalator in the terminal IF you do not have one free hand. There will be crew members to guide you to the, usually, one elevator when you disembark.

It really takes the joy out of a wonderful cruise. We have done it once and that was more than enough.

Self disembarkation can be challenging to say the least. It does allow you off the ship early BUT you do have to maintain your luggage through the ship. That might entail crowded elevators and corridors and the possibility of using the stairs. At the very least you cannot use the escalator in the terminal IF you do not have one free hand. There will be crew members to guide you to the, usually, one elevator when you disembark.

It really takes the joy out of a wonderful cruise. We have done it once and that was more than enough.

After 15 cruises, we've learned to pack light. DH has 1 carry-on, I have 1 carry-on, and we're good to go. Any more in hand than that, and yes, self-disembarkation could be a nightmare.

Keep in mind that in New Jersey, you also have to lift your luggage onto the shuttle bus that takes you to the terminal. So be prepared to move your suitcases down one or more flights of stairs on the ship, and onto the shuttle. This is definitely not an option for those who need assistance in any way, as there will be none.

After 15 cruises, we've learned to pack light. DH has 1 carry-on, I have 1 carry-on, and we're good to go. Any more in hand than that, and yes, self-disembarkation could be a nightmare.

I can't even imagine a carry on for each one of us :eek:...especially with a 12 night cruise and 5 night cruise tour, along with 3 formal nights. :confused:

I've read about the self disembarkation and was actually considering it. Our transfers are all pre-arranged and paid for. Probably isn't a good idea with 2 28" bags plus 2 carry on bags.

Yes, carry ons are fine.

Squeezing large suitcases amongst the crowds isn't fun for you and not fair to others.

Don't you still have to wait in line at customs? I don't see how this saves any time.

The process doesn't really save time except for looking for your luggage however they usually do the self disembarkation first so it can be helpful for some. You still go through customes.

I can't even imagine a carry on for each one of us :eek:...especially with a 12 night cruise and 5 night cruise tour, along with 3 formal nights. :confused:

I've read about the self disembarkation and was actually considering it. Our transfers are all pre-arranged and paid for. Probably isn't a good idea with 2 28" bags plus 2 carry on bags.

I agree, even on a one week cruise we each need a 28" bag, plus our LL Bean Rolling Duffle bag, plus 2 carry ons. What are we doing wrong??

Self Disembark on our last Summit cruise in May was also limited to the first 150 people that signed up. We've never done it as we never seem to be able to travel light - what's the fun in taking a cruise if you can't change 3 - 4 times a day?

Totally concur!!!!

Keep in mind that in New Jersey, you also have to lift your luggage onto the shuttle bus that takes you to the terminal. So be prepared to move your suitcases down one or more flights of stairs on the ship, and onto the shuttle. This is definitely not an option for those who need assistance in any way, as there will be none.

It is not a good option for anyone. If you only have one bag it is reasonable as long as if is the size of a carry on. There are stairs, ramps and long walks. It is also difficult trying to handle many bags getting on and off a bus that is overcrowded and has no place for luggage. It is much easier to have the bags delivered to the holding area.

We just got off the Silhouette and were given the option of taking off our own luggage. They said that in order to do that we'd need to leave the ship between 6:00 and 6:30 AM. Not sure what they'd do if you tried to leave after that point.

As others have said, if your bags are small and you are capable of carrying them then it's not a bad option, but if they are large and you need help don't even think about it.

My wife and I always do self-disembarkment, have never found it tedious and have found that it saves time. One time we did not do self-disembarkment as we had a late flight; by the time we left the ship lines were horrendously long and then it took some time to find out suitcases. So long as you are fit enough to be able to manage your luggage it is as easy as pie.

Next week, we are on Century in Alaska. Due to scheduling, it appears that the second formal night will be Saturday. I appears to me that unless I pack the tux into my carry-on, I will have to keep my luggage Saturday night, making self disembarkation mandatory. I'm hoping to repeat Gonzo70's experience!

What I REALLY want to tell you is "Don't do it. It is hell. The most horrible experience ever!" But that would only be selfish because we LOVE to and would like to keep the lines short. ;)

A large suitcase is no larger than some of the large people trying to maneuver their way off the ship, so as long as you don't need assistance and can lift your bags on your own, it is a breeze!

Like RickT we disembarked Silhouette yesterday. The process was unbelievably slick. We were due off at 8:00; had a quick breakfast in the MDR; were called at 7:50; strolled off carrying our hand baggage to find our bags in a small numbered line; found our driver and were in the car by 8:00. When it works as smoothly as that there seems no need to self disembark.

We've done 10 night w/3formal nights with 2 carry-ons. It's possible. Coordinate. Investigate packing tips. I roll everything---learned how to do it from an Oprah show, probably 15 years ago, maybe longer than that. It's amazing how many clothes can be packed with this method. My evening clothes go in last, packed with dry cleaners bags. Very few wrinkles.

The other day I saw a youtube which showed how to pack for a 30-day vacation using only a carry-on. You might try doing a search for that video. Very creative. However, if you're going to be on a land tour I'd never try that method, but it would be perfect for a cruise/resort vacation. You'll understand why when you see the video.

The OP question is about being on the Summit in Oct. They didn't say what port they will be disembarking in but it will probably be NJ. This is a port where you have to board a shuttle to get from the ship to the terminal where you go thru customs. It is not the same as in other ports. It is not easy trying to go down the ships ramp, and then struggle with your luggage while moving along in line to board the bus to the terminal. When you get on the bus there is no storage area and people will be standing in the aisles. It is very conjested and crowded. You then have to get off the bus and walk a considerable distance to the luggage pick up area where they will have porters if you need them. There are no porters until you get there. You then have to walk further to go thru customs.

It doesn't matter how easy it was in other ports NJ is completely different. We have done the self disembarkation in many ports but would not attempt it in NJ.

We can beat this until the cows home. The OP will realize what the problems will be when they arrive to board the ship and see what the hassle will be on the shuttle. They can then make their decision if they want to attempt it.

If they are in San Juan then it will be different.

Archived