Random thoughts from the O penthouse

cruz chic

Just a few random thoughts. Dinner was good last night. Service was very good except for the wine steward. It makes me nuts when they are standing with a napkin over their arm but will not come over to the table. One of my dining companions filled my wine glass for me. They don't seem to care.

Had brekie in the Pinnacle. I had no idea you could get hot food at breakfast ;). I also didn't have to ask for a coffee refill 10 times.

I was in and out of there in a half hour.

They had the suite m&g last night. The staff did not mingle at all which was disappointing. Maybe that's the usual.

My cabin stewards joe and kamal are awesome! I want for nothing. For those that have never stayed in anything but suites I just want to say that this is a world apart from the cheap seats.

I remember a poster Tamosol (?) saying she set off the alarm by cooking some toast. I bought a cheap gel pack to nuke to put on my knee. Put it into the microwave for 50 seconds (as per the instructions) and went to powder my nose. When I came out and the alarm was going. I'm lucky the get pack didn't burst. The micro looks like something from the 50's so I thought it would be wimpy. It's not.

Surfergirle, you will not be able to go naked in the hot tub. Where the hot tub is butts out and you are in plain view of several cabins.

Did pretty good on the exercising today. Managed to do 5 laps and 20 min on the exercise bike. After that I had a little incident.. I got my fingers wedged between the elevator and the wall. Don't ask. Thankfully I didn't break anything. Iced it and took some meds. If I'm lucky it will prevent me from eating ;).

It's very rocky today. Tonight is formal night.

Internet is very slow so don't be surprised if I don't post for a while.

Service has been great in the MDR except for the wine service. I get addressed by name in open dining so they must advise the waiter somehow. Wine service is not good. Tonight the steward was too busy taking pics and making origami. That's annoying.

[quote name=lorekauf;39616040

Surfergirle' date=' you will not be able to go naked in the hot tub. Where the hot tub is butts out and you are in plain view of several cabins.

.[/quote]

Hey hun! So glad to hear from you and that you made it safe and all is well!

I have shown DH your post and he came back with "aww shucks" ... No nakkies in the PH! LOL.

I won the bet i get PF Changs this week lol.

Have fun and i hope the weather holds up for you!

Bless you and your travels.

Thanks for reporting from the O Penthouse.

Is Sebastian still the Manager of the Pinnacle Grill?

Am sorry to read of the lack of wine service, we had an excellent wine steward at Christmas/New Year on the Oosterdam.

Did your luggage safely arrive in the PH before departure?

Thanks Lorene for checking in.

I set off the fire alarm in the PS when I went to make a couple of bagels. The "Wheelhouse" and Neptune Lounge called to check out everything. Two men even came from the wheelhouse to inspect the toaster. It was fine but the pantry itself was too hot and that caused the alarm to go off.

I don't like the idea that the wine stewards just stand around and basically do nothing.

Thanks for reporting from the O Penthouse.

Is Sebastian still the Manager of the Pinnacle Grill?

Am sorry to read of the lack of wine service, we had an excellent wine steward at Christmas/New Year on the Oosterdam.

Did your luggage safely arrive in the PH before departure?

Got an email from Sebastiaan- no longer on O- sounds like he is heading to X

bought a cheap gel pack to nuke to put on my knee. Put it into the microwave for 50 seconds (as per the instructions) and went to powder my nose. When I came out and the alarm was going. I'm lucky the get pack didn't burst. The micro looks like something from the 50's so I thought it would be wimpy.

We learned the hard way too. That square box is an industrial microwave which takes one half the time as a consumer microwave.

Hi, Lorene! Happy to "see" you checking in, and glad some things are special for you. Take care of that hand!

No sense "hoping" the wine service improves. Tonight, when you enter the dining room, why not stop and ask the Manager if a wine steward can be assigned to your table tonight? "I know you were busy last night, but it was a shame my table was overlooked." ;)

Hi, Lorene! Happy to "see" you checking in, and glad some things are special for you. Take care of that hand!

No sense "hoping" the wine service improves. Tonight, when you enter the dining room, why not stop and ask the Manager if a wine steward can be assigned to your table tonight? "I know you were busy last night, but it was a shame my table was overlooked." ;)

What a beautiful way to do it - you are truly skilled Ruth:)

Hi, Lorene - looking forward to seeing you on Saturday - I forgot to mention, I'm 70+ and white-haired! Will try to do a recce today to see if I can get inside the port area. You used to be able to, but I don't know if you can anymore. We'll find you somehow!

Yup, the service and attention to detail are worlds apart ....

Thanks for the update :)

I have been lurking for months and have learned a lot. thank you.

What are the cheap cabins and how is the service different?

Yup, the service and attention to detail are worlds apart ....

Thanks for the update :)

Not necessarily so. Sailed solo on Zaandam in 2012 in a "D" category cabin. Cabin service excellent.

Sailed Neptune Suite in 2013 on Zudiderdam. Cabin service was just so-so. I'm not really impressed the the suites on the Vista ships. Much prefer them on S" class. Just because you pay more for your cabin doesn't mean better service.

To clarify when I'm talking about the cheap seats I mean a balcony or lower.

I don't know what the change is but the service just seems a bit off today. I think they had about 4 waiters in the pinnacle and they couldn't keep up to the approx 25 people. I just don't understand why they struggle so much. Cabin service is slow today to. I'm out fairly early and I'm in and out of the cabin so I like it to be done pretty quickly. No such luck today.

Weather continues to be fairly good. It was very rocky yesterday so I'm happy to report that has calmed down.*This morning it was cloudy and foggy but right now it's very pleasant. I'm out on the balcony with pants and a long sleeved shirt and it's very pleasant for me but I'm a Canuck ;). It's so beautiful and peaceful here.

Finally got into the hot tub on the deck. It's more like a bathtub in that you fill and drain yourself. It doesn't stay hot. I don't think I'll likely get into it again but you never know. It's the fist time I've been submerged in water since my surgery on June 24 (knee) and it was difficult to get in and out. I seem to be able to exercise within reason ok but there are so many things I still struggle with.

Filled in the comment card about the wine service. My guess is that it will be good tonight and be back to the same old tomorrow. I have open dining.

We'll be in Juneau tomorrow. Can't wait for land and less peeps ;). I'm doing whale watching in the afternoon and maybe a little shopping in the morning.

Dinner service was good again tonight. The food has been quite good. I don't feel the need to do any specialty restaurants.

Archived