Is "Pick Your Perk" coming back? (Returning Aug 30th)

Richiebaseball

Reporting back... I am dealing with a popular online TA, C--C--, in booking a 7-day Bermuda cruise on the Summit next June. The perks for a veranda room (we have 8181, Yea!) are, from Celebrity, the Classic Drink package using Pick your Perk. From the TA, we are getting: upgrade to Premium drink pkg for me and DH, free gratuities for 2, and free soda packages for 3 kids in cabin.

BUT, we were told we could not take advantage of FB $100 OBC offer because the perks from the online TA are somehow connected to Celebrity such that the perks from the online TA ARE another perk in Celebrity's eyes. Thus, since the FB OBC is combinable with only one other offer, we cannot get it.

What do you all think? Should I push it by calling Captains Club (would they even talk to me)? I am happy with the perks we have, but I hate to leave money on the table if not necessary.

What should I put on google to get the popular online TA C--C--? Thanks

Reporting back... I am dealing with a popular online TA, C--C--, in booking a 7-day Bermuda cruise on the Summit next June. The perks for a veranda room (we have 8181, Yea!) are, from Celebrity, the Classic Drink package using Pick your Perk. From the TA, we are getting: upgrade to Premium drink pkg for me and DH, free gratuities for 2, and free soda packages for 3 kids in cabin.

BUT, we were told we could not take advantage of FB $100 OBC offer because the perks from the online TA are somehow connected to Celebrity such that the perks from the online TA ARE another perk in Celebrity's eyes. Thus, since the FB OBC is combinable with only one other offer, we cannot get it.

What do you all think? Should I push it by calling Captains Club (would they even talk to me)? I am happy with the perks we have, but I hate to leave money on the table if not necessary.

Similar situation to you with same travel agency - I discussed the FB OBC with the travel agent and she claimed that they the TA had given us a lot and this FB promo would come out of their commission; she also told me that as platinum on RCCL we would not get any standing in Captains Club unless we were Diamond(which I was 99.9% sure was false).

I phoned Celebrity and Platinum does transfer over to Captain's Club Select. The agent at Celebrity also told me off the record that the $100 FB or Twitter bonus does not come out of the travel agent's commission. Logically, why should it - Celebrity is doing this to increase its social media standing which in turn helps with their search engine rankings and gives them a basis to viral market in the future.

If people have liked and followed them don't get the bonus they will unlike and unfollow them and leave a nasty comment which defeats the whole effort Celebrity is making of getting more likes and followers.

I dislike TA's who get the sale and then say things without really knowing the facts to just blow you off.

Again the Celebrity agent off the record said that all the travel agent has to do is phone Celebrity and ask for STP4 for FB or STP5 for Twitter to be put on our reservation and that is it -- and we get the $100 OBC and doesn't cost the TA anything.

I will keep trying with our TA to get this $100 OBC and keep you posted.

No you can't combine the two. We had applied the Captains Club Savings Certificate to our sailing, but when we called to get the PYP (beverage package) we had to give up the savings certificate ($125.00) but we felt it was worth it to get the PYP.

Similar situation to you with same travel agency - I discussed the FB OBC with the travel agent and she claimed that they the TA had given us a lot and this FB promo would come out of their commission; she also told me that as platinum on RCCL we would not get any standing in Captains Club unless we were Diamond(which I was 99.9% sure was false).

I phoned Celebrity and Platinum does transfer over to Captain's Club Select. The agent at Celebrity also told me off the record that the $100 FB or Twitter bonus does not come out of the travel agent's commission. Logically, why should it - Celebrity is doing this to increase its social media standing which in turn helps with their search engine rankings and gives them a basis to viral market in the future.

If people have liked and followed them don't get the bonus they will unlike and unfollow them and leave a nasty comment which defeats the whole effort Celebrity is making of getting more likes and followers.

I dislike TA's who get the sale and then say things without really knowing the facts to just blow you off.

Again the Celebrity agent off the record said that all the travel agent has to do is phone Celebrity and ask for STP4 for FB or STP5 for Twitter to be put on our reservation and that is it -- and we get the $100 OBC and doesn't cost the TA anything.

I will keep trying with our TA to get this $100 OBC and keep you posted.

Well, I think it is moot since the offered "expired" August 31st (although maybe that just means you had to book by August 31st). I do think we are getting good perks from this TA (_ru_on), but I am not familiar with this "under-the-table" kind of arrangement (between Celebrity and online TA).

I used to use an AmEX agent who was truly great, but we didn't get any perks from her, just a $100 AmEx credit, but even that is no longer the policy. So...I've tried a couple "big-box" and online TAs. You do get better perks/OBC, but it is a lot more hassle. Please let me know how it turns out for you.

Not moot at all, we met the requirements for the sale -- the time frame of August 15 to 31 refers to when the cruise must be purchased. So if you purchased at 11:55 pm online on August 31 - you would still qualify as clearly the TA would not be able to follow through and phone Celebrity asking them to add the OBC Code to the reservation at that time.

Again, not allowing people who followed them or liked them would backfire in Celebrity's face and potentially do more damage to their social media presence than good. I work in Social Media so I know what of I peak so Celebrity will have some leeway I would imagine if you met the basic criteria of the sale.

I had some trepidation with booking with this Travel Agent as we have been told by others who have used them their customer service is not the best. We were told if you know what you want and you are sure you are going they are good but if you need any help or changes to the reservation be wary as it might be a struggle. On their special sales (not the regular sales they have every week) they do give out very good OBCs and perks but they have a $100 per person cancellation charges so it is a trade off and if the prices on the cruise fall drastically your OBC's and beverage deals may not look so good.

I will cut the TAslack because this weeks labor day sale is good and they are very busy, but the TA should not provide information to clients without being 100% certain that the info is accurate.

All they have to do is call Celebrity with the code STP4 or STP5 and add it to the reservation with no financial penalty to them. In my mind that is just basic customer service.

I have 4 cruises planned including a TA next Fall and these perks will not work for any of them. Sad.

Did the TA say why the promotion wouldn't work? It worked for my Alaskan cruise next year but the price also went up 50pp. Obviously - $100 total was worth it for us to get the Classic Beverage Package. Maybe the price went up since you have to pay the prevailing rate? Did your TA give you any other information?

I have 4 cruises planned including a TA next Fall and these perks will not work for any of them. Sad.

Pick Your Perk (not the FB/Twitter promo) should apply to your celebrity century caribbean cruise - check your price vs the current rate and if it's a good deal to you, call your TA back.

You do get better perks/OBC [when using a TA], but it is a lot more hassle. Please let me know how it turns out for you.

This is exactly why DH and I have decided to go through X directly rather than using a TA. We like the comfort of having what feels like more control over our reservation. Dealing with the people at X seems to be an easier task than trying to get a TA to get on the ball after you've made your reservation.

My ILs are traveling on the same cruise next year (Arctic Circle), but insisted on going through a TA to book the cruise because my FIL felt the $100 OBC would be worth it. When the PYP came out, we called X and within a few minutes got a $300 pp fare reduction, the PYP we decided on (the drink package), PLUS the $100 Facebook OBC added within just a few minutes. No hassle, no fuss, no I'll call you back later (maybe) to let you know what I could find out.

When my FIL called, he got the fare reduction, but he's not sure whether he was able to get the PYP deal or the Facebook credit because the TA had to call X to see what he could do. Forget all that . . . I want to have direct control over negotiating my travel. I also know that if one agent at X can't/won't give a deal like the PYP to those who have been booked for a while, I can call back and there is a good chance that the next one will give it to me.

All things being equal, you may get some perk from a TA that you're not going to get from X. But, for me, not having to deal with a middle man in my travel arrangements is worth the trade.

This is exactly why DH and I have decided to go through X directly rather than using a TA. We like the comfort of having what feels like more control over our reservation. Dealing with the people at X seems to be an easier task than trying to get a TA to get on the ball after you've made your reservation.

My ILs are traveling on the same cruise next year (Arctic Circle), but insisted on going through a TA to book the cruise because my FIL felt the $100 OBC would be worth it. When the PYP came out, we called X and within a few minutes got a $300 pp fare reduction, the PYP we decided on (the drink package), PLUS the $100 Facebook OBC added within just a few minutes. No hassle, no fuss, no I'll call you back later (maybe) to let you know what I could find out.

When my FIL called, he got the fare reduction, but he's not sure whether he was able to get the PYP deal or the Facebook credit because the TA had to call X to see what he could do. Forget all that . . . I want to have direct control over negotiating my travel. I also know that if one agent at X can't/won't give a deal like the PYP to those who have been booked for a while, I can call back and there is a good chance that the next one will give it to me.

All things being equal, you may get some perk from a TA that you're not going to get from X. But, for me, not having to deal with a middle man in my travel arrangements is worth the trade.

Well my TA did get both the pyp and upgraded it to premium(we paid the upgrade fee) and after three calls to x finally got the Facebook applied. I had a confirmation showing every line item (we bought dining Package too)

Well anyhow she got an email yesterday saying the FB promo was not combinable and has been removed. New confirmation show obc line item gone. She is going to call today to try to get it back but I am not too hopeful. So anyhow I guess even if you have it in writing the powers that be can take it away :(

I am with you. We have three cruises booked with my TA and lately she hasn't been very responsive. I think I would prefer going directly through Celebrity in the future. I am also considering moving the three cruises back to Celebrity directly. Anybody know if this would be a problem? I used a very popular brand credit card TA.

Sounds like your TA needs a .............. push. :rolleyes:

Your TA won't go the extra mile for you to add the FB $100 OBC to your sailing. Too much of an effort....

I sent the TA an email as we just got our cruise booking number and we are in the midst of being transferred to the Customer Service Agent assigned to us from the Agent who we booked with. Standard operating procedure with this TA evidently, not optimal, but we will see.

I emailed because of the transition and I want to document everything. I intend to follow up tomorrow by phone.

The issue the TA is claiming that the FB is not combinable from Celebrity's perspective because it is part of a group booking, it seems that TA had a lower rate because of the Group Booking and that with PYP is considered to be two offers making the booking not eligible for the FB offer.

The Facebook offer did expire on Aug. 31, as the post from Celebrity says. However, my TA just told me today that we're getting it. (I asked her about it last Friday but apparently she wasn't able to get through to Celebrity until today.) So a good TA might be able to wangle it. In any case, it doesn't hurt to ask.

Archived