Upgrade – Yeah or Nay

Rosefloater

Currently have E729 on Golden. Just received upgrade email to D325.

We picked E729 because it is the last mini before the aft and it we will still get some aft view. We’re not too concerned about being over the Vista Lounge especially since we aren’t over the stage and don't go to bed early. We have been in aft area cabins before so we know about any movement.

Should we take D325 or not?

TIA

I wouldn't. You are in the nicest, most quiet areas of cabins. And your balcony is covered. I have sailed on the Golden and can't quite remember but I think Dolphin deck has the uncovered balconies? I wouldn't cruise anywhere without at least a partially covered balcony.

There's no way I'd take an "upgrade" to Dolphin deck. Period. The cabin you've selected is quiet, private, covered, and IMHO, much better. I was once upgraded from a standard balcony to a mid-ship mini-suite and hated the location.

You won't hear anything from the Vista Lounge if you stay in E729.

b238 to B428

Ok for all you more experienced then me. My original booking on the Golden is for B238 and they want to move me to B428. Thoughts?

From a BE to a BA -- that's not a bad upgrade, but I think I'd first check to see if there are any BEs available on Caribe and ask to keep your category and just switch to one of those instead. I'd rather have the larger balcony than a midship cabin. Frankly, I don't really like midship much; I prefer the aft or even forward. Another thing to think about is that B428 is right at the elevator lobby. Chances are you'll hear some chit-chat and maybe the odd elevator ding when it's quiet. Wouldn't bother me but some might balk at that.

Absolutly NOT especially since I'm a few cabins up from you :D Closer to the water means a better view and maybe some refreshing sea spray. The covered Mini is the best. How much space do two people need on a balcony? Dolphin deck balconies are bigger but not covered.

We picked E729 because it is the last mini before the aft and it we will still get some aft view. We’re not too concerned about being over the Vista Lounge especially since we aren’t over the stage and don't go to bed early. We have been in aft area cabins before so we know about any movement.

Should we take D325 or not?

TIA

Rosefloater, stay where you are! D325 is an upgrade in name only. E729 is the best mini on the ship; I ought to know--I've had it twice.

b238 to B428

Ok for all you more experienced then me. My original booking on the Golden is for B238 and they want to move me to B428. Thoughts?

madjohn, I would take B428; it's a better, more central location. Other than that, no difference.

• 2 months later...

Don't know if you have already cruised but in case not ...don't do it. I think E729 on the Golden is probably the most sought after room on the whole ship. Anything on the Dolphin deck would be a downgrade. The only room I would switch out for if I was in room E729 is a full suite.

If you know that you want to stay in that cabin, you should have the booking marked NO UPGRADE. Princess can change you without asking you.

We have asked our TA to mark our 2015 booking "no upgrade" because of what we have read on these boards, but there seems to be some confusion. Is there a special place on the booking where this should be marked, do you know? I don't think our TA has ever heard of this before. Thank you!

I'm traveling with Rosefloater and we have decided to stay in our original cabin.

Thanks.:)

SadieN and Rosefloater:

How do you guys manage to get upgrades? Which cruise will you be on this time? Will we be seeing you this weekend?

Renee

I would take the upgrade - prefer to be forward and I don't think the covered balcony such an advantage. The only thing that E729 has going for it is the fact that it's at the end of the hallway and so traffic would be at a minimum...otherwise I don't think aft or covered is all that...

SadieN and Rosefloater:

How do you guys manage to get upgrades? Which cruise will you be on this time? Will we be seeing you this weekend?

Renee

They like us?:) ;)

Really, no idea why we got called twice.

We decided that you now will have competition for the window suites.

I'm with DH in New Orleans right now. Going on a B2B on the Carnival Conquest. Back to reality in an OV, lol

Next Princess cruise will be the 10day on the Sapphire March 1.

It was wonderful to sail with you.

Sharon

I would take the upgrade - prefer to be forward and I don't think the covered balcony such an advantage. The only thing that E729 has going for it is the fact that it's at the end of the hallway and so traffic would be at a minimum...otherwise I don't think aft or covered is all that...

I'm the third in the cabin with Rosefloater. We declined the upgrade to the mini on Dolphin. The Thursday before the cruise we accepted an upgrade to a full suite on the Sun Deck.

Archived