Southwest Flights through April 6, 2014

Buffalofirsttimer4

Don't fly Southwest often. But, do their fares go up/down similar to Delta and others? In other words, if a leg from Houston to Vegas was $332 three days ago and is now $380, is there a possibility it will change as other airlines do?

Possible? Yes, absolutely. Prices on ALL airlines go up and down.

Predictable, as to exactly when, how often or how much? Nope, it's based primarily on supply and demand.

I always compare other lines with SW, as there are real advantages to booking with them. No checked bag fees, and no change fees. If you see a lower fare after you've booked and want to re-book, not only do they not charge you for changing, you can put the difference in your account and have up to a year to use it.

Roz

Anyone know when SW will open flights up beyond April 6? I'm cruising May 6-10, 2014 on a Pacific Coastal, and the "good" flights and fares on other airlines are already in short supply, not to mention hotels.

Roz

Roz, I believe I read that they will open October 26. That seems a long way off, but that's my memory.

I'm paying attention, too, as I want to book for the next open period.

Thanks, Ruth. My Zuiderdam Coastal collides with Mother's Day weekend, so it's a somewhat busy week for flying. That's also the start of college graduations, so it's a double whammy. This is the 3rd year in a row I'm doing this particular cruise, so I've learned I have to jump on the airfare as soon as it's available.

Roz

Thanks Zach. I must live in an area where Southwest fares are more than others. Never have seen bargains or flights without stops/changes from where I live.

Remember: Southwest is not the be-all, end-all in "bargain" flights for everyone, everywhere. It's the Southwest Myth ;) Be sure to check flights and rates for all airlines out of your local airport!!!

Good point, Slidergirl. What happens for some of us, depending on what city you live in, is that SW is the dominant carrier, so there may not be much choice.

Roz

Well, there's always choice. I live in a city where Southwest is, by far, the largest carrier. I barely ever fly them, and still get everywhere I need to go.

Dates and cities?

Minneapolis mid-March, departing on a cruise either 15th or 16th.

You can book right now on Delta for $239 round trip. (Or as someone else said, Jet Blue for a few dollars less.) The Delta isn't nonstop (not sure about the Jet Blue), but frankly at those prices I'd be booking one or the other ASAP instead of waiting around worrying about what Southwest's price MIGHT be.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Forums mobile app

Remember: Southwest is not the be-all, end-all in "bargain" flights for everyone, everywhere. It's the Southwest Myth ;) Be sure to check flights and rates for all airlines out of your local airport!!!

Southwest has the only "big" planes flying out of my airport. All the rest are "baby planes", where the wings flap up and down. No thanks.

Southwest goes where I want to go, and takes me there in relative comfort. I luv Southwest! :D

Southwest has the only "big" planes flying out of my airport. All the rest are "baby planes", where the wings flap up and down. No thanks.
Sorry, but I'm gonna have to challenge that.

I'm assuming that you are talking about Providence (PVD). I'll use the airline I'm most familiar with: Delta flies both A319 (126 pax) and A320 (150 pax) from PVD and those aircraft are actually wider than the 737. They also operate MD-88s (149 pax), which are only 5 across, but with a similar passenger load to the smaller WN 737s. The WN 737 ranges from 122 pax to 175, with the bulk of their fleet under 150

I haven't checked UA and US, but I would think they would also have mainline service. Yes, there is a strong RJ presence at PVD, but let's not toss "only" when it isn't so.

Of course, your choosing to fly from PVD in your backyard rather than travel the 60 miles to Logan (BOS) also impacts your flight options and choices. Many more "big planes" at BOS. But your choice.

Yes! I can finally look at airfare for our spring break cruise! So sick of Delta, etc wanting $800 per person :mad:

Dates and cities?

Minneapolis mid-March. Would depart on a cruise the 15th or 16th. Prefer to fly in day before to ease the stress!

You can book now for a lot less than $800. You still don't say where you prefer to fly INTO, but I'll assume you're talking about a Caribbean cruise. As an example, right now you can book Delta from MSP into Miami for $443, arriving 3/14 on a nonstop, (a day before any Sat-Sat cruise) and returning 3/22. (connection at DTW on the return, $505 for nonstop both ways).

If you haven't settled on a particular cruise, consider flights into Orlando, Tampa, Ft. Lauderdale, Miami or Jacksonville. For a savings of several hundred per person, it might even be worth flying into, say, Jacksonville for a cruise out of Port C, or Orlando for a cruise out of Ft. L. Even with rental car between cities and a hotel night, you'd save a bunch.

I don't roll the dice anymore with WN if I have to do a connection. I've had a few times where the connecting was already pretty full from it's origin. The pickings for a seat were very slim for even the first few "B" holders, only middle seats:(

If you go with WN, I'd pay the extra for the non stops!

You can book now for a lot less than $800. You still don't say where you prefer to fly INTO, but I'll assume you're talking about a Caribbean cruise. As an example, right now you can book Delta from MSP into Miami for $443, arriving 3/14 on a nonstop, (a day before any Sat-Sat cruise) and returning 3/22. (connection at DTW on the return, $505 for nonstop both ways).

If you haven't settled on a particular cruise, consider flights into Orlando, Tampa, Ft. Lauderdale, Miami or Jacksonville. For a savings of several hundred per person, it might even be worth flying into, say, Jacksonville for a cruise out of Port C, or Orlando for a cruise out of Ft. L. Even with rental car between cities and a hotel night, you'd save a bunch.

Sorry we are looking at a 7 night Caribbean out of Florida or even Galveston. I prefer to fly nonstop during that time of year because of possible bad weather (at least on the departure flight to the cruise). Thanks for all your help.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Forums mobile app

Finally booked some flights! There was a short window today where I could buy flight down for 186.00 and back for 138.00. Happy with the price but would like better times so gonna keep watch.

Can anyone tell me, if I find another flight with better times do I book it and then cancel the original flight? How will they know to credit my account or charge me more? Exactly what do you do to change a flight?

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks, Ruth. My Zuiderdam Coastal collides with Mother's Day weekend, so it's a somewhat busy week for flying. That's also the start of college graduations, so it's a double whammy. This is the 3rd year in a row I'm doing this particular cruise, so I've learned I have to jump on the airfare as soon as it's available.

Roz

Okay how odd I was looking for the next release dates for Southwest(taking our son and his family on Allure) and I see your post. Why is it odd to me? Have a great day. ROZ (that's me also Roz):)

Archived