2 Day RCI cruise questions

hebbie67

I'm planning to introduce my sister to cruising with a 2 day RCI cruise. Can anyone advise me please whether there will be a formal night on a 2 day RCI cruise? Or smart casual? Also, is there likely to be theatre shows?

Any other differences between a 2 nighter and a 'regular' cruise would also be greatly received.

Many thanks

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

My suggestion... forget the 2 day... and do at least a 4 day!! On a two day you spend more time getting ready... getting on... then getting ready to get off. 2 days isn't even enough to really explore the ship. If she has any type of "sea sickness" 2 days, she'll just be feeling better... and never realize it just lasts a little while (most of the time). And... if she's one of the .999% that hate cruising... it's only 4 days out of her life...

Our first cruise was 7 days... and we've never looked back...

Wishing you fair winds and calm seas!!

My suggestion... forget the 2 day... and do at least a 4 day!! On a two day you spend more time getting ready... getting on... then getting ready to get off. 2 days isn't even enough to really explore the ship. If she has any type of "sea sickness" 2 days, she'll just be feeling better... and never realize it just lasts a little while (most of the time). And... if she's one of the .999% that hate cruising... it's only 4 days out of her life...

Agreed!!!!

Much too short IMO. You don't even get a chance to relax and enjoy the ship. Can't imagine there would be a formal night as the first night is spent waiting for luggage and unpacking while the second would be spent packing - ugh.

Well said

AGREE!!

Safe travels

Sea Ya

Our first was a four-day. We didn't really get hooked until our third cruise. Our first a 4-day, second a 10 or 11 day.

We got hooked on our third cruise, a 7 day. We returned to a 3-day after my bad bout of vertigo, just to see if I still could cruise. We'd booked the 14-day Hawaii, and were checking to see if the vertigo would be a problem before our 14-day cruise.

It's such a hassle embarking and deembarking, I'd say book a 7 day. So, she has some fun between days of hassle. All that said, our table mates on our three day cruise said they actually preferred short cruises. If you're flying in, definitely pick a longer cruise.

Thanks for all the replies & thoughts.

Unfortunately time & money dictate and we're committed to the 2 nighter. Would still like to hear from anyone who has done a 2 nighter to find the answers to my original questions though.

Many thanks for all your help.

Unfortunately time & money dictate and we're committed to the 2 nighter. Would still like to hear from anyone who has done a 2 nighter to find the answers to my original questions though.

See you onboard this sailing. We're also doing this to introduce family and friends to cruising. Sorry can't answer your questions though, these are things I'd like to know too.

To all the other posters, although I agree having sailed on many RCI cruises that 2 nights is not ideal, unfortunately the choice of short cruises from the UK are severely limited, even 4 nighters are few and far between. However, we will make the most of embarking early on day 1 to give family and friends the opportunity to explore the ship. Have dinner on day 1, enjoy a relaxing day on day 2 and have a family birthday celebration dinner on day 2 before returning to Southampton. So it will be a good 'taster' IMHO.

Typically, the first night is never formal because some people may not have received their bags, and the last night is never formal because people are packing their bags. That doesn't really leave a night.

Since you're only packing for 2 nights do a carry on and forget checking your luggage at the pier. This will save you time and money. Board as early as possible and go to your cabin to drop off your carry on if the cabin is ready. then go for lunch. Check to see if the dining room is open for lunch or only the buffet. Get a window table if available and enjoy a leisure lunch and view. There will probably be a show so get there early enough to get seats. Just don't rush things, you won't get a full experience but you will get a feel for cruising and can decide if you want to do it again. Sometimes we have to enjoy what we have ( 2 nights) and not lust for what we don't have.

I did a couple of 2 night cruises... and neither had a formal night. Smart casual was the dress for both evenings. With that said, call or email Royal and ask... We did do a 2 night, but it was a 'special' occasion -- new ship -- prelaunch cruise.... and the first night was a big party and formal, the second night was also dress... but this was out of the ordinary. On all the 2 nights we just took carry-on luggage.

I know you'll enjoy yourself... :) I hope your 1st timers can't wait to book another cruise!!!

Our first was a four-day. We didn't really get hooked until our third cruise. Our first a 4-day, second a 10 or 11 day.

We got hooked on our third cruise, a 7 day. We returned to a 3-day after my bad bout of vertigo, just to see if I still could cruise. We'd booked the 14-day Hawaii, and were checking to see if the vertigo would be a problem before our 14-day cruise.

It's such a hassle embarking and deembarking, I'd say book a 7 day. So, she has some fun between days of hassle. All that said, our table mates on our three day cruise said they actually preferred short cruises. If you're flying in, definitely pick a longer cruise.

I'm curious to know whether the cruise affected your vertigo. My son had a terrible bout last year causing him to be admitted to hospital. As a result, he is very nervous to try a cruise.

I've often wondered about the passenger demographics on a short cruise out of the UK... are they treated like a booze cruise?
Certainly hope not, don't want our friends and family to get the wrong idea. To me a 'booze' cruise is more like the 'mini cruise' we did over the Bank Holiday with P&O Ferries.

I used to do 2 night pre-inaugurals. Do I prefer 12 night or even 7 nights? Of course, but I will take any length.

The 2 nights were fun, and enough to make you a cruiseaholic. If there's a possibility of sea sickness, meclizine works well for me. Should be as available as it is in the US. Just take whatever you use early in the day and I take another around 5pm.

Pack half of what you think you'll need and have a wonderful time.

Thanks All once again

Peteukmcr - totally agree with why your doing the 2 nighter too and the booze cruise comment! My sister is teetotal and whilst I do like a drink I'm now at the age where I can't stand the hangovers so know my limits!!

Not surprised about no formal nights - sad, but smart casual is good enough. Glad to hear about the theatre shows too.

On our last family cruise we carried off our luggage on departure, so had already planned to do this with my sister to save time. We usually get together each summer for one night away so are really used to maximising our time! Planning to do the Paris trip on day 2 as she's never been - we can catch up on sleep on the coach!

Couldn't see a roll call for this cruise but will look at other 2 day ones - thanks, great idea. Will also look to start one for this cruise.

Thanks

Archived