Enchantment Of The Seas Sail-Away-Sep 2, 2013

aliaschief

Sometimes real life gets in the way of our hobbies. Not sure if I'll make the next one. It's the Fire Department meeting night. I may stay home until after the sailaway and then head for the (6PM) meeting. I can watch from the fire house but there's no sound on my computer there.

Great picture, Copper. They show an animation of the process but I've never seen so much detail. That's a really wide dry dock.

Roy

That drydock is at Verolme in Rotterdam, the Netherlands! The Dutch and the Sea, you know; makes me proud to be a former Dutchman:)

Here's some more of your water wings on her;)

Sportsandmainpool.jpg

dam I missed it - what can I say - I have a bundle of trouble who is taking up a lot of time today and really pushing my buttons;) oh well, puppy is still alive so hopefully things will be better and I will be able to catch the next one.

Really nice pics Copper and Roy!:D

For a minute I thought you had a new human baby:eek:

That drydock is at Verolme in Rotterdam, the Netherlands! The Dutch and the Sea, you know; makes me proud to be a former Dutchman:)

Here's some more of your water wings on her;)

Sportsandmainpool.jpg

And well you should be. Here's one more, and yes that is snow. Enchantment will never see that again.winter.jpg?w=700&h=

I couldn't figure out what was going on! I missed it - had lots of errands before we go down to the States this weekend. I'm back in my "boot" because no one seems to be able to figure out what is going on with my leg. So everything takes me twice as long. I'm going to have fun shopping!

For a minute I thought you had a new human baby:eek:

LOL - a baby would be easier - they have diapers:D:D and sleep more too.

No, just a new puppy - finally adding to the household after losing our mountain dog over a year ago.

LOL - a baby would be easier - they have diapers:D:D and sleep more too.

No, just a new puppy - finally adding to the household after losing our mountain dog over a year ago.

Well, enjoy! Losing a beloved pet sucks, big time! Driving my police K-9 to the vet to be put down was the longest drive in my life:(

Well, enjoy! Losing a beloved pet sucks, big time! Driving my police K-9 to the vet to be put down was the longest drive in my life:(

I so hear you on that one - I try to think of not having put him down (or my other animals whose time came) - but sending him over the rainbow bridge- pretty sure you would know the poem - he's just there waiting for you to cross.

a cyber hug to you - we never forget them - and they will always live in our hearts.

I seem to be confused all around. A baby? A dog?

It's worse than a baby or a dog (babies grow up and dogs have bladders than can hold their business). It's a dam puppy.

Posted pics earlier on this thread on the first Sail a way with the Chief's permission;)

I so hear you on that one - I try to think of not having put him down (or my other animals whose time came) - but sending him over the rainbow bridge- pretty sure you would know the poem - he's just there waiting for you to cross.

a cyber hug to you - we never forget them - and they will always live in our hearts.

Likewise!

Now Im really confused. Then there's the RCCL on HAL

:D yeah that cut in half interloper...

This actually started as a sailaway trial-run for the new season that should start pretty soon. We kind of wandered off track here and there.:)

The man on the Right looks like Captain Lee from the TV Reality Show on Bravo called Below Deck!!!!

[ATTACH]285667[/ATTACH]

COULD that be Captain Lee? Do you know who it is John?

Joanie

Joanie, John may or not know who it is, but it is Hotel Director Michael Landry. I sailed with him on my last Enchantment (and I'm pretty sure it will be my last given Enchantment's planned itineraries) cruise and found him a top notch hotel director.

Roy

Or better yet

Huge Cruise Ship is Cut in Half and Enlarged

Senior executives at Royal Caribbean had a dilemma. The short term demand for cruises was growing rapidly, and with cruise ships running at full capacity, the cruise line couldn't take as many customers as it wanted, essentially leaving easy profits on a table. One option was to order new ships, but new ships generally take few years to build and cost a fortune. The other option, which was never tried before, was to take one of their ships, cut it in half at the middle, and enlarge it by adding a new block of rooms.

At the end, the management decided to take the second option and chose Enchantment of the Seas - a huge 12-story, 916 ft ship - for overhaul and for adding extra passenger capacity.

The enlargement process was done in 3 stages. During the first stage, circular saws and torches were used to cut the ship. The construction crew cut through pretty much everything, including the outer hull (which was made from steel), the inner hull (which was constructed to be absolutely watertight), the ventilation system as well as thousands of cables and pipes. That whole process took two days, and when it was done, one could see a narrow line of light that traveled from the top of the ship all the way to the bottom.

During the second stage, the engineers moved the two sections of the ship away from each other and positioned a large 2,500 ton, 73-foot section with 151 furnished rooms between them. In the third and final stage of the process, the construction crew reattached all the pipes, cables and everything else that was cut, thereby uniting the 3 pieces of the enlarged ship.

At the end of this process, the cruise ship grew from 916 feet to 990 feet. It cost Royal Caribbean about $60 million to complete the enlargement and currently the Enchantment of the Seas is able to enchant 300 additional vacationers on each of its journeys.

2715554820_29b8eed09f_o.jpg

Cruise ship on shipyard before being cut

2715554840_bb633b3865_o.jpg

Cruise ship has been cut and moved apart

2715554868_fa1d34498a_o.jpg

Re-attachment of the ship is about to begin

2780355482_190a768699_o.jpg

2779498631_bd031fb4a7_b.jpg

bedankt!!

I can't help but wonder if, after cutting a ship in half and adding a section plop in the middle, if the whole thing is as robust as it was before the cutting.

You'd think those point would be weak links. I wonder what continuous stress on those points does to the ship. :confused:'

we really are getting off track here.....:D

bedankt!!

I can't help but wonder if, after cutting a ship in half and adding a section plop in the middle, if the whole thing is as robust as it was before the cutting.

You'd think those point would be weak links. I wonder what continuous stress on those points does to the ship. :confused:'

I agree. I hope they have never cut any of our dam ships in half!

Archived