Miami- do we HAVE to go early and get a hotel?

coffeeaddiction12345

I've cruised before but always from close enough to home that air travel was not necessary.

I'm planning for a Jan cruise, and am wondering if going the day before is 'required', of if we can hop off a flight at 11am and get right to the port for a 4pm depature? I hadn't thought of getting a hotel and had planned to take a flight the day of- bad idea?

No, it is not "required", but it is good common sense. Frequently, in the winter travel season, it is not always possible to just "hop off" a plane. Storms, missed connections, mechanical delays and so many other possible issues make flying in at least the day before a cruise the far smarter thing to do. Call the cost of the hotel room good insurance.

If you said you have a nonstop in June from your home airport, I'd say okay. However as stated, air travel in January/winter months is always contingent on weather. Not just at your home airport, but anywhere in the states can affect other airports and connections.

Choice is yours. Everything can go smoothly,and normally does or you could have problems. (delays,missed flight connections etc. For me, leaving a day early takes some of the worry out of precruise packing.

Plenty of people fly in the day of their cruises, and make them just fine. In life there are NO guarantees.

Coming in a day early hedges your bets and success of making your cruise. The later you arrive, the fewer, if any further options; you will have to make your cruise.

It's up to you, how you wish to proceed.

I would never fly in the day of the cruise...there are just way too many things that can go wrong. Why stress yourself out while you're on vacation by flying in the day of the cruise :confused:

There are hotels that provide shuttle transport to the port

What we especially enjoy.. that after early rising at home, airport "stuff", the 3 1/2 hour flight, transport to the hotel etc...we really enjoy having the rest of the day to relax and be fresh and energetic for our first day on the ship. Rather than dragging thru the first night's dinner and anxious for bed after a day of travel.

...if we can hop off a flight at 11am and get right to the port for a 4pm departure?

In addition to the good advice already given, you should remember that a 4:00 departure means you must be checked in and onboard no later than 90 minutes prior - 2:30 pm. With a hopeful 11 am arrival you have very little wiggle room (read: none) if something goes wrong. Just food for thought.

We have done a same day arrival many times but on a redeye from LAX-FLL arriving much earlier than your 11:00am..Not everyone has the option of pre-cruise day/days. Only you can determine your comfort zone..Best of luck.

Do not fly in the day of the cruise. There is too much that can go wrong and you could miss the ship.

Yes, fly in a day or more earlier and enjoy the good weather of Florida before you begin your cruise.

What can go wrong.

Flight cancellation or delay due to:

Weather

Aircraft Maintenance

Insufficient Flight Personnel

Shut down of airport due to security breach

Shut down of airline due to computer glitch

Security breach on airplane

FAA Technical Glitch

Regional shutdown due to security issue

Delay of incoming flight

These are things that I have experienced in my years of flying and much more.

So, without a doubt I would always fly in early.

Keith

Our first cruise we flew in to Tampa the day of the cruise. Due to delays and the long line to check in at the port we found out the port was closed and the ship was in a different location where we had to take a shuttle to so we didn't get on the ship until almost 3pm. We were so exhausted and hungry that we were almost sick when we got to our room. Needless to say, we didn't really enjoy that first day. I vowed never to do that again. We always fly in the day before and stay and relax at a hotel. Just takes away a lot of the stress and makes your first day on the ship more enjoyable.

Our first cruise we flew in to Tampa the day of the cruise. Due to delays and the long line to check in at the port we found out the port was closed and the ship was in a different location where we had to take a shuttle to so we didn't get on the ship until almost 3pm. We were so exhausted and hungry that we were almost sick when we got to our room. Needless to say, we didn't really enjoy that first day. I vowed never to do that again. We always fly in the day before and stay and relax at a hotel. Just takes away a lot of the stress and makes your first day on the ship more enjoyable.

BahamaDD- Hello from Anderson :)

I agree, on our honeymoon cruise in Oct 2011, we had limited vacation days and were planning on flying into Tampa the day of. After really thinking about it, we took the latest flight out the eve before. Thank goodness we did as our SW flt from Indy was sent back to the terminal for a malfunction and we were told if they could not get it repaired the flight would be cancelled. After an hour of sitting on the hot plane, the issue was resolved, but I can't help to think what if that would have been the day of the cruise ????

OP, even if you have to take a very late flight and grab a hotel room for a few hours sleep, do it, just for peace of mind.

:)

Do not fly in the day of the cruise. There is too much that can go wrong and you could miss the ship.

Yes, fly in a day or more earlier and enjoy the good weather of Florida before you begin your cruise.

What can go wrong.

Weather

Aircraft Maintenance

FAA Technical Glitch

Delay of incoming flight

Keith

Yikes :eek:...Please post your future flight plans so we can all avoid the bad luck you seem to have....DBIL is a captain with a major carrier and in all his years of flight he hasn't had the ratio of bad experiences you've had. ;):D

Yikes :eek:...Please post your future flight plans so we can all avoid the bad luck you seem to have....DBIL is a captain with a major carrier and in all his years of flight he hasn't had the ratio of bad experiences you've had. ;):D

It's not bad luck. And I never said how often I flew.

But I easily flew on 100 flights a year and likely more.

So, it might only happen 5% of the time, but if you are the lucky one and you are on that flight the day of the cruise you miss the ship. It's just not worth the risk.

Keith

Wow, no offense but that was a bit of a low blow, even with the smiley faces. I think most, if not all of us have experienced some delay with airlines. My DBIL is a Firefighter Captain and although he is alive and well on the job to this day, it doesn't mean he hasn't experienced his fair share of "stuff" over the years. Right?

I think you are in the minority when you say it's fine to fly in on cruise day. Most of us would not. Hopefully you will not experience a delay such as Keith mentioned but honestly, you always say people cannot always get away a day early. I say most often, they can and perhaps just don't want to use a vacation day to do so.

It's not bad luck. And I never said how often I flew.

But I easily flew on 100 flights a year and likely more.

So, it might only happen 5% of the time, but if you are the lucky one and you are on that flight the day of the cruise you miss the ship. It's just not worth the risk.

Keith

Keith - my husband (before retirement) was a top level frequent flyer with United Airlines and he has experienced all of your list. I only flew/fly occasionally and have experienced at least half of them (including when United's computer system went down for more than 6 hours in June 2012 and our entire family of 8 was delayed a day getting to Italy and it would have been more if DH wasn't Global Services and at the head of the line to be taken care of). We always fly in at least a day early.

FWIW....

Last September I was flying to Vancouver, BC for a repo cruise that was sailing Saturday afternoon. We left early Friday morning from Detroit with a change of planes in Minneapolis. Our flight in Minneapolis was delayed due to a "communication problem". Long story short....we were due to land in Vancouver at 1pm their time and didn't arrive until 1100 pm! 10 hours late!

I was OK because we had only planned on a bit of sightseeing Friday afternoon, but some of the people who were on the same flight were running around like crazy because their cruise was sailing that day at 400 pm! :eek: Part of me felt horrible for them but a part of me also thought "should have planned for something like this"! Was it worth the $200 extra I paid for the hotel room? You betcha!!

So, do you HAVE to fly in a day early? Nope! But I know I wouldn't take the chance!

Having worked for an airline for 6 years prior to my current role as a travel agent, do yourself a favor and come in the night before.

I've been the gate agent rebooking tons of cruise passengers that were trying to get to Fort Lauderdale day of their cruise....no available flight options to get them there before the ship. They either spent alot of money booking plane tickets to meet up with the ship at next port or cancelled their trip altogether.

Don't put yourself in a position where this could potentially happen to you. :)

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Forums mobile app

What can go wrong.

Weather

Aircraft Maintenance

FAA Technical Glitch

Delay of incoming flight

Keith

For years I was a platinum preferred Dividend Miles Flyer with US Airways and I have on occasion experienced everything on your list in one WEEK.

Great advice as always Keith.

I have done it both ways. I agree with most that if you can come in the day before so much the better. However reality is sometimes it is just not possible. My opinion is if it is a direct flight and you get in before noon the risk is greatly reduced.

Archived