passports

kaverb

When people talk about a passport copy they mean a copy of the pages that have the passport number, picture, signature, and other data.

A copy cannot be used as a passport. It is only useful as a memory aid should one need to report a lost/stolen passport and/or seek a replacement or emergency travel documentation.

I generally keep such a copy in the cabin safe in case something happens to my passport when I'm ashore.

We leave our passports safely stored in our safe and carry photo copies of the main page with us at all times unless specifically required to carry them as a few countries do. If you are worried about missing the ship and not having your real passport, any reputable cruise line will check your safe to see if they are there and give them to the port representative who will hand them to you when you finally arrive. I have occasionally read on these forums about people who have lost or had their passports stolen while ashore, but I have NEVER heard of a single person left behind without their passport. Passports are a valuable commodity on the black market and can bring in several thousand dollars to the thief.

We leave our passports safely stored in our safe and carry photo copies of the main page with us at all times unless specifically required to carry them as a few countries do. If you are worried about missing the ship and not having your real passport, any reputable cruise line will check your safe to see if they are there and give them to the port representative who will hand them to you when you finally arrive. I have occasionally read on these forums about people who have lost or had their passports stolen while ashore, but I have NEVER heard of a single person left behind without their passport. Passports are a valuable commodity on the black market and can bring in several thousand dollars to the thief.

How many people on these boards have reported missing a sailing? That may account in part for the lack of reports by people left behind without a passport.

It is true that there are reputable postings on CC about the practices by some cruise lines regarding removing passports from cabin safes and handing them to the port agent before sailing. I'm not sure I would go so far as to say that any reputable cruise line does this. Certainly I'm not aware of a single cruise line that actually posts this in their FAQ. Nor am I aware of a single cruise line that recommends leaving passports in safes in foreign ports of call.

Passports do get stolen, more get lost or damaged. It's why one must take extra care with the document. They are valuable. But far less valuable today than they used to be simply because they are much harder to alter.

How many people on these boards have reported missing a sailing? That may account in part for the lack of reports by people left behind without a passport.

It is true that there are reputable postings on CC about the practices by some cruise lines regarding removing passports from cabin safes and handing them to the port agent before sailing. I'm not sure I would go so far as to say that any reputable cruise line does this. Certainly I'm not aware of a single cruise line that actually posts this in their FAQ. Nor am I aware of a single cruise line that recommends leaving passports in safes in foreign ports of call.

Passports do get stolen, more get lost or damaged. It's why one must take extra care with the document. They are valuable. But far less valuable today than they used to be simply because they are much harder to alter.

This a fine example of one of the greatest benefits of Cruise Critic - there is always some know-it-all who out there who out of an unwavering sense of duty will jump to your rescue and point out just how wrong you are for making such a foolish comment. Ahhh, the blessings of internet anonymity. :rolleyes:

Yes, we "all" make copies of the main page of the passport. But, be sure to also copy the signature page and any visa pages needed on your trip. The copy really doesn't do much but give peace of mind that you have your info with you.

If it's lost/stolen, you still have to make your way to a city that has a US Embassy or Consulate to get the replacement - many time, that is NOT your cruise port...

This a fine example of one of the greatest benefits of Cruise Critic - there is always some know-it-all who out there who out of an unwavering sense of duty will jump to your rescue and point out just how wrong you are for making such a foolish comment. Ahhh, the blessings of internet anonymity. :rolleyes:

I am uncertain of your meaning: Do you doubt the statement that lines do not retrieve passports from the safes of passengers who miss the ship; or do you doubt the apparently common belief that lines do retrieve such passports and give them to a port agent?

Any information regarding a reliable source on this matter would be appreciated. While any passenger who missed his ship and thought to contact the port agent and thereby got his passport would surely be thankful, I cannot help thinking that lines would be concerned about possible liability for entering a passenger's safe without authorization, and might prefer to let a late passenger simply deal with the effects of his carelessness.

I am uncertain of your meaning: Do you doubt the statement that lines do not retrieve passports from the safes of passengers who miss the ship; or do you doubt the apparently common belief that lines do retrieve such passports and give them to a port agent?

Any information regarding a reliable source on this matter would be appreciated. While any passenger who missed his ship and thought to contact the port agent and thereby got his passport would surely be thankful, I cannot help thinking that lines would be concerned about possible liability for entering a passenger's safe without authorization, and might prefer to let a late passenger simply deal with the effects of his carelessness.

Being late is not always due to the carelessness of a passenger. Transportation breakdowns, injury requiring medical attention, road closures, strikes, riots, changing weather conditions, etc., are all situations that can occur at anytime to anybody to cause them to miss the ship. All would be out of the control of the passenger, and not due to their carelessness.

I am convinced that cruise lines WILL search your safe for passports if you are going to miss the ship. I am a believer, not a doubter like the person I was responding to. Although this has not happened to us, we shared a table with a couple who lived through the experience of missing their ship on a previous cruise. They told us they arrived about a half hour after the ship had sailed due to a road closure while on a private tour in the Med. They and another couple were given their passports by the port representative, and the tour company - I believe it was Rome In Limo who they booked with - assisted them in getting to the next port.

It is my belief that the cruise lines would be more concerned about helping a passenger than being fearful of liability concerns. After all, they already have the right to enter any safe if they have a significant reason to do so. The stateroom and the safe in it are their property, after all. However, I doubt they would open a safe for any other reason than to provide assistance to the passenger - an act that I personally would be grateful for.

Being late is not always due to the carelessness of a passenger. Transportation breakdowns, injury requiring medical attention, road closures, strikes, riots, changing weather conditions, etc., are all situations that can occur at anytime to anybody to cause them to miss the ship. All would be out of the control of the passenger, and not due to their carelessness.

I am convinced that cruise lines WILL search your safe for passports if you are going to miss the ship. I am a believer, not a doubter like the person I was responding to. Although this has not happened to us, we shared a table with a couple who lived through the experience of missing their ship on a previous cruise. They told us they arrived about a half hour after the ship had sailed due to a road closure while on a private tour in the Med. They and another couple were given their passports by the port representative, and the tour company - I believe it was Rome In Limo who they booked with - assisted them in getting to the next port.

It is my belief that the cruise lines would be more concerned about helping a passenger than being fearful of liability concerns. After all, they already have the right to enter any safe if they have a significant reason to do so. The stateroom and the safe in it are their property, after all. However, I doubt they would open a safe for any other reason than to provide assistance to the passenger - an act that I personally would be grateful for.

I know that a lot of people share your belief that ship's personnel will enter the safe of people who miss a departure from a port of call. What I find extraordinary is that no one can refer to any cruise line's advising of such a policy. Perhaps they might not want to let people know there is a "safety net", but it does seem strange that the only references to such a policy is someone having heard from someone else that it was done.

What I am asking is: can anyone steer me to some reliable source, not just having heard from someone who heard from someone else that ship's personnel actually do that?

I know that a lot of people share your belief that ship's personnel will enter the safe of people who miss a departure from a port of call. What I find extraordinary is that no one can refer to any cruise line's advising of such a policy. Perhaps they might not want to let people know there is a "safety net", but it does seem strange that the only references to such a policy is someone having heard from someone else that it was done.

What I am asking is: can anyone steer me to some reliable source, not just having heard from someone who heard from someone else that ship's personnel actually do that?

I have managed ships for 11 different cruise line companies in my career, ranging from mass market to luxury brands.

Until about 10 years ago, we rarely got involved with passenger cabin safes - unless they were defective. But over the past decade, many things have changed.

In many countries today - especially in the Med and in Asia - cruise lines are not allowed to leave passengers behind for any reason, unless the passengers are carrying their passports with them.

If passengers are about to miss the ship, the first thing we do is take a security guard to their cabin and search for passports. This includes opening the safe to see of the passports are there. If the passports are found in the cabin, they are assigned to the port agent, who takes care of visa paperwork and is responsible to get the passengers back to together with their passports.

We do this in almost every port these days.

Why don't the cruise lines tell you this in their FAQs?

Why should we? It only affects a tiny fraction of 1% of our passengers.

We also do not tell you that we track all your onboard purchases and report them to US Customs.

I have managed ships for 11 different cruise line companies in my career, ranging from mass market to luxury brands.

Until about 10 years ago, we rarely got involved with passenger cabin safes - unless they were defective. But over the past decade, many things have changed.

In many countries today - especially in the Med and in Asia - cruise lines are not allowed to leave passengers behind for any reason, unless the passengers are carrying their passports with them.

If passengers are about to miss the ship, the first thing we do is take a security guard to their cabin and search for passports. This includes opening the safe to see of the passports are there. If the passports are found in the cabin, they are assigned to the port agent, who takes care of visa paperwork and is responsible to get the passengers back to together with their passports.

We also do not tell you that we track all your onboard purchases and report them to US Customs.

If, in fact, the ship could not "... leave passengers behind for any reason, unless the passengers are carrying their passports...", what would the ship do if they were unable to find the passport? Would they just assume that the passenger had their passport, and ignore the posdibility that it had been well hidden.

I'm sorry if I sound skeptical - but the lack of ANY verifying information is grounds for doubt. After all, Bruce, you are just one more anonymous poster. I am not calling you untruthful --- but I am simply repeating my request that someone-- anyone--- give us some reliable source. With all the information on all the sites maintained by all the cruise lines it seems strange that there is no sign of any documentation.

If, in fact, the ship could not "... leave passengers behind for any reason, unless the passengers are carrying their passports...", what would the ship do if they were unable to find the passport? Would they just assume that the passenger had their passport, and ignore the posdibility that it had been well hidden.

I'm sorry if I sound skeptical - but the lack of ANY verifying information is grounds for doubt. After all, Bruce, you are just one more anonymous poster. I am not calling you untruthful --- but I am simply repeating my request that someone-- anyone--- give us some reliable source. With all the information on all the sites maintained by all the cruise lines it seems strange that there is no sign of any documentation.

I have read enough first-person accounts here that I believe it.

Why would a cruise line advertise this? In my mind, it would only encourage people to be less mindful of getting back to the ship on time and it puts staff to extra trouble to retrieve the passports and get them to the port agent quickly.

Another idea - if you don't want to worry about carrying hard topics - take a picture with your phone and keep it filed / always with you. I keep a copy on my phone, have them backed up to the Cloud, and also have several key folks that have copies (the same folks that have copies of wills, etc).

Thank you! If some people can't believe someone with your credentials, who the heck can they believe?

I've got a terrific idea! On your next cruise, leave your passport in your safe and then deliberately miss the ship and find out for yourself first hand. Then come back here and report exactly what happened.

On the other hand, never mind. You would just be one more anonymous poster without ANY verifiable information, so there would be grounds to doubt yourself and you probably wouldn't believe your own experience. Gotta have it in writing from the cruise line to make it true, right? :D;)

I've got a terrific idea! On your next cruise, leave your passport in your safe and then deliberately miss the ship and find out for yourself first hand. Then come back here and report exactly what happened.

On the other hand, never mind. You would just be one more anonymous poster without ANY verifiable information, so there would be grounds to doubt yourself and you probably wouldn't believe your own experience. Gotta have it in writing from the cruise line to make it true, right? :D;)

Sorry that it offends you for me to simply ask for information. What we have is a number of second hand reports from people who have heard that it is done- and one (anonymous) poster who - apparently credibly - states that it is cruise line policy.

But, since it is your idea, why don't you leave your passport in your safe and then miss the ship -- then you would have the comfort of knowing that you are right?

Sorry that it offends you for me to simply ask for information. What we have is a number of second hand reports from people who have heard that it is done- and one (anonymous) poster who - apparently credibly - states that it is cruise line policy.

But, since it is your idea, why don't you leave your passport in your safe and then miss the ship -- then you would have the comfort of knowing that you are right?

Hey, ease up there, friend. I was being satirical. Didn't you notice the :D and the ;) ?

But all joking aside, and since I'm apparently now on your list of bad guys, let me play devil's advocate and ask this question: Since you won't take anyone's word because for you anything they say will be second hand reports that should be treated with suspicion, what EXACTLY will convince you that this is indeed what occurs? Why do you doubt this so much? Are you such a pessimist that you won't believe anyone?

As for me, I don't need to have it happen to me to believe it. I have enough faith in people's honest reporting of their experiences, and the cruise line's interest in being customer friendly, to feel confident that what these anonymous commentators are telling us is actually correct.

Archived