Royal Princess has reported she lost power in the Med!

MR NW GUY

I judge a company by how well it performs AND how well it rectifies problems. I sailed on the Disney Fantasy last year. Lovely cruise - had a great time. However, I was not impressed with the photography services onboard. I discovered I had been severely overcharged despite initial assurances to the contrary. Disney was swift and effective. It credited my huge difference back to me on the spot, then allowed me to select a dozen more photographs at no charge. Needless to say, I was happy. I came away from that potentially negative experience loving Disney even more. Bad experiences made right are just has important as good experiences - IMHO.

It's called service recovery, and Disney excels at this! That's one reason that they have so many repeat customers at their theme parks and on their cruise ships.

I've been on cruises with problems on a variety of cruise lines, some major, some minor. Everything from not having a working toilet for 8 days of a 10-day cruise, a cabin steward walking into my cabin at 11:15pm (knowing I was alone) without knocking, a cabin steward tell me on embarkation day that she was far too busy to help me and she might see me the next day, etc. To me, problems do not make or break a cruise. It's the people I'm with or meet, the places I go, the sights I see, and my overall experience on the cruise. Have I cruised those ships and/or lines again? Yes.

We've been on 35 cruises on a variety of cruise lines (mainly Princess) and always had a wonderful time. I have to say, though, that if we didn't have a working toilet for 80% of the cruise or a cabin steward who told me she was too busy to help me and might be able to the next day, that would definitely influence the way I perceived the cruise, especially the former. A working toilet is a necessity as far as I'm concerned.

We've been on 35 cruises on a variety of cruise lines (mainly Princess) and always had a wonderful time. I have to say, though, that if we didn't have a working toilet for 80% of the cruise or a cabin steward who told me she was too busy to help me and might be able to the next day, that would definitely influence the way I perceived the cruise, especially the former. A working toilet is a necessity as far as I'm concerned.
You're right. However, it was a very port-intensive cruise and I was onboard only to sleep those eight days. They would temporarily repair it so I wasn't totally without a working toilet. Plus, IMHO, a lot depends on how the cruise line responds. Princess gave me a huge credit towards a future cruise... enough to almost pay for a 12-night cruise. In contrast, on Celebrity, I didn't have a working toilet for three full days (all sea days) and their only response was, "You, too?" That was the sum total of their customer service.

We were also on the Sept 15 sailing of the Royal and can not say enough good things about Princess and the way they handled the cruise cancellation. With 2 days notice they managed to make travel arrangements for almost 4,000 people. Life aboard the Royal went on with very few disruptions. The staff bent over backward to make us happy. All departments on board managed to work miracles. Amazing, just amazing.

We heard some grumbling from people who just wanted to fixate on the negatives but we had so, SO many wonderful positives that completely overshadowed any inconveniences. When everything was going well we considered it one of our best cruises. When things started to go wrong we STILL considered it one of our best cruises.

joan

We were also on the Sept 15 sailing of the Royal and can not say enough good things about Princess and the way they handled the cruise cancellation. With 2 days notice they managed to make travel arrangements for almost 4,000 people. Life aboard the Royal went on with very few disruptions. The staff bent over backward to make us happy. All departments on board managed to work miracles. Amazing, just amazing.

We heard some grumbling from people who just wanted to fixate on the negatives but we had so, SO many wonderful positives that completely overshadowed any inconveniences. When everything was going well we considered it one of our best cruises. When things started to go wrong we STILL considered it one of our best cruises.

joan

For those who booked air independently did Princess fly them home also or did they only assist in changing non-Princess air reservations?

Happy to hear that things went as smooth as possible & hope to not have similar problems crossing the pond in October. ;)

For those who booked air independently did Princess fly them home also or did they only assist in changing non-Princess air reservations?

Happy to hear that things went as smooth as possible & hope to not have similar problems crossing the pond in October. ;)

Princess flew everyone home at company expense. If you did not like the arrangements Princess made, you could opt out but then you were on your own, at your expense. We had planned a 3 day post cruise stay in Barcelona but Princess flew us home via Rome to Istanbul to Chicago. If we had opted to get to Barcelona on our own, we would have had to make all our own travel plans and pay for it. For us it was so much easier to just go with what Princess had arranged. We'll get to Barcelona another day.

joan

Thanks for your post. It is nice to hear that you enjoyed your cruise despite the cancellation. :)

Princess flew everyone home at company expense. If you did not like the arrangements Princess made, you could opt out but then you were on your own, at your expense. We had planned a 3 day post cruise stay in Barcelona but Princess flew us home via Rome to Istanbul to Chicago. If we had opted to get to Barcelona on our own, we would have had to make all our own travel plans and pay for it. For us it was so much easier to just go with what Princess had arranged. We'll get to Barcelona another day.

Just curious, did you have post-cruise arrangements in Barcelona that you had pre-paid? We have booked tours in Barcelona before and had to pay deposits which were non-refundable. If you had prepaid, nonrefundable expenses did Princess reimburse you for those?

Thanks & I would have done the same thing.

I am looking forward to seeing and meeting the literally hundreds of people on our roll call. THAT's why I'm even on this cruise.

Pam:

Although I'm not on the roll call (DW is, however), I am looking forward to meeting you. I have been reading your posts for what seems like many years, from back when you were Pam in MA.

Ira

Just curious, did you have post-cruise arrangements in Barcelona that you had pre-paid? We have booked tours in Barcelona before and had to pay deposits which were non-refundable. If you had prepaid, nonrefundable expenses did Princess reimburse you for those?

We did have post cruise plans to spend 3 days in Barcelona. Luckily, our hotel was not prepaid and I was able to email them and cancel our reservations once we got our travel plans from Princess and realized we would not be going to Barcelona. We did buy travel insurance and I am now gathering the necessary documents to recoup the fees we had to pay American Airlines to cancel our homebound flights and redeposit the miles we used for those. The Travel Guard representative I spoke with this afternoon interpreted our policy in a way that would deny us any compensation because our trip was more than 50% complete when the "mechanical interruption" occurred. I pointed out that the policy specifically mentions "trip interruption: return air" as a coverage but she said that was also covered under the 50% rule. Huh?? Has anyone had any similar experience?

I forgot to add that we had booked a half day tour with Barcelona Day Tours with some others from our Roll Call. We were going to be picked up at the ship, do the tour then dropped off at our respective hotel. Without emailing them, BDT emailed me to let me know they were aware that our cruise was being cancelled in Naples so they were canceling our tour and would automatically refund the deposits we had paid. I thought that was quite nice of them to be on top of the situation.

.......We did buy travel insurance and I am now gathering the necessary documents to recoup the fees we had to pay American Airlines to cancel our homebound flights and redeposit the miles we used for those. The Travel Guard representative I spoke with this afternoon interpreted our policy in a way that would deny us any compensation because our trip was more than 50% complete when the "mechanical interruption" occurred. I pointed out that the policy specifically mentions "trip interruption: return air" as a coverage but she said that was also covered under the 50% rule. Huh?? Has anyone had any similar experience?

No similar experience, but... You got to redeposit the air miles used. Even though there was a fee you still had your airfare home paid by Princess. To me I would say "so what" if the fee isn't reimbursed by the insurance, you still come out ahead to my thinking. Air miles restored, airfare paid and the fee from the airlines has to be less than the airfare home, yes?? Just a different point of view. Hopefully you still get the fee reimbursed, but, if not, still not a bad deal IMHO.

Has anyone else noticed that there is a tug in the shadow of the Royal Princess, the Fairmount Alpine. Its heading to Barcelona too with an ETA of 07:00.

That's not normal in my opinion.

I'm not sure if it's just coincidence or not. I had been reading an article where Fairmount Alpine had just finished a job from Dubai to Livorno. I had been watching Royal Princess prior to her approach to the Strait of Bonafacio where the tug was actually out in front until after the transit, then fell behind. They seem to have cruised about the same speeds.

Here is Royal Princess current position at 5:18am Barcelona time:

9960250583_c06597094c_o.jpg

Pam:

Although I'm not on the roll call (DW is, however), I am looking forward to meeting you. I have been reading your posts for what seems like many years, from back when you were Pam in MA.

Thanks. :) That goes back six years after I moved 3,000 with four cats, mumbling to myself, "What the he** am I doing?" :) See you onboard!

Thanks. :) That goes back six years after I moved 3,000 with four cats, mumbling to myself, "What the he** am I doing?" :) See you onboard!

OMG...it's late here and I initially read that as "moved with 3,000 four cats". :eek: I'm sure glad I re-read the post ...

Have a great trip and we're all looking forward to your live reports.

BTW, what would you do with 3,004 cats when you go traveling anyway ... ;)

What's wrong with having a great time, even if you don't do it again :confused: Pia's having computer problems and may not be able to do a "Live" :eek: Hope others on the TA will post their thoughts/impressions.

Looks like the LIVE thread is a 'Go' now, with the help of Craig who aided in fixing Pia's computer.

THANKS Pia and THANKS Craig!!! :D

Exactly how I felt after my Celebrity cruise. Did I have a good time? Yes. Would I cruise Celebrity again? Doubtful.

That exactly how I felt after several superb cruises on Celebrity and RCI, then a really disappointing cruise this past December on Ruby Princess. I even contacted my TA from St. Thomas with an email regarding cancelling my cruise on Royal Princess. I guess I'll know if Princess is for me after I finish this little B2B in December, or whether it's back to Celebrity Cruises again.

That exactly how I felt after several superb cruises on Celebrity and RCI, then a really disappointing cruise this past December on Ruby Princess. I even contacted my TA from St. Thomas with an email regarding cancelling my cruise on Royal Princess. I guess I'll know if Princess is for me after I finish this little B2B in December, or whether it's back to Celebrity Cruises again.

Would be interested to hear what made your cruise on the Ruby disappointing. I loved my cruise on her, and thought she was a fabulous ship.

Karen

Looks like the LIVE thread is a 'Go' now, with the help of Craig who aided in fixing Pia's computer.

THANKS Pia and THANKS Craig!!! :D

Do you have the link to share? Can't wait to hear their thoughts. David, wanted to tell you I lost my beloved 19 year old cat Maxie two nights ago. I know we have had a few conversations about our loves. It was awful. Ended up at a ER vet with her which I hope never to see again. If my cruise was leaving any earlier then 11/17 I don't know that I would be up for it.

Gracie,

My sympathy on your loss. I have a dog, and have lost a few over the years and it is heartbreaking. Go walk on the beach...it is therapeutic...and the weather is glorious.

Looking forward to the LIVE thread. Bon Voyage!!

Carole

Thanks yes, it is beautiful here today. Hoping to get a little Vitamin D therapy at Barefoot Pool this afternoon.

Archived