Royal Princess has reported she lost power in the Med!

MR NW GUY

Hopefully it is as simple as replacing a part..

The best we can wish for was a simple failure of the part. If there's more of an underlying problem that they haven't discovered there's no guarantee that whatever caused this switchboard to fail won't happen again..

While they did send an email, they have not stated that Repairs will be done, they have used the term expect (see below from email). This does not give me a lot of confidence in what they are saying and leaving Thursday, with no Hotel or back up plan, does not bode all that well with me, as If i leave and they cancel then I am out vacation, airfare and stress, but I can not cancel, as they say I get no refund.

"and expect to complete the necessary repairs by your departure date"

I've been in this situation before and just went with it. Given that I couldn't control the situation, I just hoped for the best and prepared for the worst. All worked out in the end. Have a wonderful trip.

To the several folks who just posted, I do hope I won't disappoint you. Not all LIVES are to everyone's taste.

We received our email from Princess about an hour ago, so our packed suitcases are now locked. I warned Mike that he had better not sneak one more ounce into them. He has a habit of doing that. :(

See you all on Friday night, whether it be in person or on CC. Will start the thread asap.

See you on CC Friday, and see you in Venice on the 11th at the M&G.

Have fun in Barcelona.;)

To the several folks who just posted, I do hope I won't disappoint you. Not all LIVES are to everyone's taste.

We received our email from Princess about an hour ago, so our packed suitcases are now locked. I warned Mike that he had better not sneak one more ounce into them. He has a habit of doing that. :(

See you all on Friday night, whether it be in person or on CC. Will start the thread asap.

Have a wonderful voyage. Your LIVE is a great 'must read'!

Looking forward to meeting you on the Emerald in February.

Fair winds, following seas and plenty of electricity....

:D

Is it Friday night yet??????? :)

Im sure all of you sailing wwith me on the 27th have heard the problem will be fixed within the next 2 days.The ship is set to sail on Friday 9/27

Hopefully all the kinks with be tended to and we will all have the trip of a life time. Weather looks great with chance of showers in Rome but if we all do our rain dance it will miss us.

Everyone enjoy

Just checked... Still in Naples!

I did some quicky calculations last night and figured it would take her maybe 36 hours at 19 knots non-stop to get from Naples to Barcelona. If her expected ETA is around 6am Friday (since there are no passengers to disembark) she could tentatively leave Naples as late as 6pm local time tonight and still be in Barcelona to begin refueling and stocking the ship for the new passengers on schedule.

From CC News.

(5:10 p.m. EDT) -- Princess Cruises has announced that Royal Princess' next scheduled sailing will depart at 7 p.m. on Friday, as planned. Line spokeswoman Karen Candy tells Cruise Critic that the issues were caused by the malfunction of a circuit breaker for one of the ship's two propulsion motors.

I did some quicky calculations last night and figured it would take her maybe 36 hours at 19 knots non-stop to get from Naples to Barcelona. If her expected ETA is around 6am Friday (since there are no passengers to disembark) she could tentatively leave Naples as late as 6pm local time tonight and still be in Barcelona to begin refueling and stocking the ship for the new passengers on schedule.

That presumes they get the switchboard, if that is really the problem, repaired before leaving Naples. Their "llimping" speed of about 13kn requires about 42-44 hours. At one point it was mentioned that repairs would be continuing on the deadhead to Barcelona, which may mean slowere speeds for at least part of the transit. In any case, I hope those on the 27th cruise get going on time with a healthy ship.

The stock didn't drop over 2 points today because of bad news from the Royal it dropped because of a crummy earnings report..

It might be good time to buy either way though..

An economist would tell you just the opposite -- buy when the stock drops because of temporary consumer nervousness. Think twice about buying when the price drops due to bad fundamentals. Don't worry, it's probably not only cruisers who say to themselves, "This company is experiencing bad earnings, so it's a good time to invest!"

Hope springs eternal... ;)

Just checked... Still in Naples!

The ship is suppose to leave some time today. They said a couple of days ago passengers would disembark Tuesday and Wednesday. So the fact that it is still in Naples is fine.

Thanks Dave for doing your figuring on how long the trip to Barcelona is. I knew it would take more then one day but that is all I knew.

On my first cruise years ago, our ship(the Grand) had just came back from the Med. We were suppose to all be on board by 5pm. But delays because of weather and a Coast Guard inspection delayed us a long time. We boarded after 8pm and the ship did not sail until 1am. But after that the cruise went as planned. So even if the Royal travels slow, I think they will still be able to board her on the 27th. Of course sail away may be later then scheduled, but I don't think anyone would mind except the usually grumpy types:mad::rolleyes::).

Royal Princess Update – Sept. 24

12 pm Pacific Time

Today Royal Princess remains in Naples as passengers continue to disembark the ship and travel home. We have appreciated our passengers’ patience and understanding as they’ve waited to receive their onward travel details being arranged by our shore team. Again, we are sincerely sorry for this unexpected disruption to their vacation.

After a technical assessment of the repairs required, we are pleased to report that the next cruise, voyage 1329 departing this Friday, is planned to operate as scheduled from Barcelona. The repairs will be made as the ship sails from Naples to Barcelona.

Yeah, one guy doing the repairs while the other is holding the flashlight...:rolleyes:

Bridgecam shows Royal is Seabound, headed for Barcelona. Picture is still in port area, but hopefully she is moving.

Looking at Marine Traffic there appear to be a tug on her bow and stern, but there are two inbound boats coming into the breakwater right now.

ju3ese8a.jpg

Archived