Royal Princess has reported she lost power in the Med!

MR NW GUY

Can you tell how fast she is traveling? Curious if they are at full power as Princess has not given any update as to whether issue is resolved or not. We leave for Barcelona in 6 hours.
I have been following her progress on Marine Traffic and she has been going around 16 knots since she left Naples.

Hope it lives up to your expectations - sadly it did not meet ours!!!
What were your expectations that weren't met?

Everyone has different expectations when boarding a ship and you can have two people on the same ship at the same time with polar opposite experiences. It would be very helpful to know what you expected and how the Royal Princess failed to meet those expectations.

To answer some questions : The atrium is gorgeous! The noise level never bothered me, but I personally prefer having the bands in the Wheelhouse and Explorers Lounges. The entertainment on the ship was great, especially the production shows. The new technology they have for stage effects is amazing. Food in the Symphony Dining room was excellent as was services. Finally,

the lack of a central staircase was a problem for me and many others with mid ship cabins. Did I have a great time? Yes!! Would I go back on this ship? Probably not. Ttg

I have been following her progress on Marine Traffic and she has been going around 16 knots since she left Naples.

I have been seeing 15.4 to 16 knots, but I have the feeling this is more of a timing issue than a speed problem. Marine Traffic dot com shows her arriving Barcelona at 6 AM Barcelona time, and am guessing that is when they have the personnel to help move her into place.

I DO plan to have my flashlight handy during our cruise starting tomorrow, though.

Ann

To answer some questions : The atrium is gorgeous! The noise level never bothered me, but I personally prefer having the bands in the Wheelhouse and Explorers Lounges. The entertainment on the ship was great, especially the production shows. The new technology they have for stage effects is amazing. Food in the Symphony Dining room was excellent as was services. Finally,

the lack of a central staircase was a problem for me and many others with mid ship cabins. Did I have a great time? Yes!! Would I go back on this ship? Probably not. Ttg

We are currently booked on her for a short Caribbean cruise (at an exorbitant price in an aft deluxe) as a tack-on after a longer cruise just to see what she's like.

I keep reading this same statement (see above in red) which is REALLY making me question our decision!

I can't wait to read Pia's take on her this coming week!!!!

We are currently booked on her for a short Caribbean cruise (at an exorbitant price in an aft deluxe) as a tack-on after a longer cruise just to see what she's like.

I keep reading this same statement (see above in red) which is REALLY making me question our decision!

What's wrong with having a great time, even if you don't do it again :confused: Pia's having computer problems and may not be able to do a "Live" :eek: Hope others on the TA will post their thoughts/impressions.

Just got back from 10 days of sailing (sometimes floating) on the Royal Princess. Spent the last 30 hours traveling back to Los Angeles from Naples. I will make this very brief since I am extremely tired. The first seven days went off without a hitch, other then some real design flaws on the ship, no promenade, no mid aft staircase, etc...

As far as the dining, I thought this was the highlight of the trip. Our waiter James, and his assistant Marlo did a great job, as did Carlos there supervisor. After day 7 it went downhill after trying to leave Mykonos, Greece. They had an anchor problem, which could of cause all the future electrical problems by burning up this motor. Anyways, I had to cut my vacation short, but felt that Princess had our safety as there highest priority. They also, put there best foot forward by giving us a 100% refund, and an additional 25% of our total for this cruise that could be applied on any additional cruises. I hope the Sept 27 cruise goes off without a hitch, and this great vessel has many more memories from there cruise customers.

Hmmmm..... who'da thought?

I will make this post brief and post a report later. Jet lag, no sleep, and the motion sensation still present-we are feeling pretty bad-like we were run over or something.

Dino Sagani was the Captain on this cruise and did an exceptional job- you could tell on Monday night- one of his last announcements, that he was exhausted (could tell it in his voice). The crew was outstanding and did everything they could to make everyone comfortable. They kept most of the entertainment going, full dining menus, etc on Monday and Tuesday.

This was our 9th cruise with Princess and will not be our last-totally impressed on how the whole issue was handled. Things happen, it was an adventure.

More later...when the fog lifts!

Kathy

What were your expectations that weren't met?

Everyone has different expectations when boarding a ship and you can have two people on the same ship at the same time with polar opposite experiences. It would be very helpful to know what you expected and how the Royal Princess failed to meet those expectations.

Isn't that the truth:D:rolleyes:

My expectations are to have a wonderful vacation - it's not 100% the cruiseline or ship that can make that happen but mostly up to me and how I react to situations that happen along the way of life or a specific vacation.

After all the threads on the Royal no-one should be boarding the ship and shocked at balcony size, lack of center stairs etc unless they live in an igloo.

Of course this is JMO:rolleyes:

I will make this post brief and post a report later. Jet lag, no sleep, and the motion sensation still present-we are feeling pretty bad-like we were run over or something.

Dino Sagani was the Captain on this cruise and did an exceptional job- you could tell on Monday night- one of his last announcements, that he was exhausted (could tell it in his voice). The crew was outstanding and did everything they could to make everyone comfortable. They kept most of the entertainment going, full dining menus, etc on Monday and Tuesday.

This was our 9th cruise with Princess and will not be our last-totally impressed on how the whole issue was handled. Things happen, it was an adventure.

More later...when the fog lifts!

Kathy

It's how they deal with things that go wrong that re-enforce my loyalty to Princess.

Did I have a great time? Yes!! Would I go back on this ship? Probably not.

What's wrong with having a great time, even if you don't do it again :confused:

That's actually a fascinating philosophical question that defies a concrete or uniform answer. And part of the dilemma comes from having choices that you perceive to be superior. I'll try to come up with an example:

Let's say that you are given the choice of opening one of two doors that are before you. You have had this choice 5 times before, and each time you chose Door #2 and each time you did you entered a room to find a great party going on. You had a marvelous time, and when it was time to leave, someone handed you $100 as you departed. The sixth time that you are given this choice, you select Door #1. And this time, you enter a room and there is a party going on. You have a really good time and enjoy yourself, but just not quite as much as the parties that you experienced when you chose Door #2. And as you leave this party, someone hands you $50.

After coming back out of Door #1, someone asks you how you liked it. You say: "It was really fun, and I got $50 to boot. But given the choice again, I wouldn't select that door and instead would stick with Door #2." This does not mean that you didn't enjoy yourself. Instead it means that you are more comfortable with a different choice and would always prefer the alternative.

So now, someone with a time machine comes along and offers you the opportunity to go back in time and change your selection. It would not be irrational to say "no", if one values the change of scenery and difference in experiences as being worth more than the hard-to-measure "fun factor", plus the additional $50. It also would not be irrational to say "yes", because in changing your selection, you will have more fun and come away with more money. Either choice can be justified.

So if it is rational for a person who has already made a choice to go back in time and change their selection, then it is equally rational for a person who has not yet made their election to not want to do something that they suspect will be fun, provided, of course, that they are confronted with an option that they perceive to be more enjoyable or profitable. If one had unlimited resources, then the change of scenery might be worthwhile, even if one knows that changing scenery will net them less fun and/or profit. But if one has limited resources, (as most of us do), then we attempt to maximize our fun and profit and may very well elect not to do something, even if we suspect we will like it, if that means passing up an opportunity to do something else that we think we will enjoy more. Of course, if the alternative to doing something that would be moderately fun and moderatley profitable is to do nothing, then it would make sense to pursue the fun and profit. Viewing this in terms of a typical cruiser, if your choice is a somewhat enjoyable cruise versus nothing, then take the cruise. If the choice is spending your limited resources on a somewhat enjoyable cruise, or saving your money for one that you suspect would be more fun, then it is not irrational to do the latter.

We are also booked on her for a short Maiden Caribbean cruise as a tack-on after the longer Maiden TA cruise. Fortunately, when we booked the price was reasonable. But, from everything I have read, I am pretty sure I will be making the same statement outlined in red. We already cancelled a TA next Spring on the Royal in favor of one on the Emerald. More for itinerary than concern about the ship. We also have a TA booked next fall on the Emerald, so the issue won't even come up until we start looking at cruises for 2015. Unfortunately, with all the discussion about the Royal on this board, I lost my excitement for these upcoming cruises long ago. I am thinking that will change once we actually get aboard.

The Royal also lost power for about 20 minutes on my July 29 voyage. This happened at around 2 or 3 am when most passengers were sleeping. My husband woke up as the room's emergency light was shining right on his face and there was no way to turn it off. Once we realized the ship was eerily silent as well he quickly got dressed and headed out to the elevator area where he found a functioning telephone (ours did not work). The purser's desk confirmed the ship had lost power but that they were in the process of restoring it. Our room (mini-suite) started to get very warm even in this short period of time, so it would have been unbearable not to have A/C for several hours during the day.

There must have been other times on and off when this happened? I sailed on the Ruby during her maiden season and do not recall experiencing this. I hope they identify the root cause(s) and get her fixed once and for all.

Hi All

Mrs Shogun has asked if we could cancel our Royal cruise next year, while it is a nice ship with many good new features, she feels it is not the ship for us,

the Royal is a 5 star floating hotel and spa which is very nice for those looking for this,

but she wants a cruise ship, one were you can see the sea, feel the wind in your face hear the noise of the waves etc

so looks like we could be moving to the Ruby.

She does think the Royal is a great ship for doing a TA on, I expect many will enjoy the TA crossing and will book the Regal or the Royal again,

but they will be selective in what cruise they book, and our next TA will most likely be on the Royal.

yours Shogun

What's wrong with having a great time, even if you don't do it again :confused: Pia's having computer problems and may not be able to do a "Live" :eek: Hope others on the TA will post their thoughts/impressions.

What's wrong for me is that I have yet to take a cruise where I've said that.

We've gone on about 30 cruises and we ALWAYS (at least so far) end them by saying we would LOVE to do them again (given the time and the money!)

Pretty much if I were to be asked what my favorite cruise was it would be the most recent.

The sentiment "Nice but not again" just sounds so lukewarm. :(

Hi All

I think Princess is doing what it should and covering all out comes,

if she did breakdown, a tug would still get her to Barcelona on time,

no big news head lines, if she was to drift for an hour head lines,

it could also be a port safety requirement if ship not 100%

it might not get permission to sail, but with a tug it gets to sail.

yours Shogun

It's how they deal with things that go wrong that re-enforce my loyalty to Princess.

Oh, dear...I hate to think that this is necessary -- to have to reinforce one's loyalty not on what goes right, but on how the line deals with things that go wrong? We have not so far had anything go wrong on a cruise, so my satisfaction with a line has solely to do with how right things went! I hope that never has to change.

That's actually a fascinating philosophical question that defies a concrete or uniform answer. And part of the dilemma comes from having choices that you perceive to be superior. I'll try to come up with an example:

Let's say that you are given the choice of opening one of two doors that are before you. You have had this choice 5 times before, and each time you chose Door #2 and each time you did you entered a room to find a great party going on. You had a marvelous time, and when it was time to leave, someone handed you $100 as you departed. The sixth time that you are given this choice, you select Door #1. And this time, you enter a room and there is a party going on. You have a really good time and enjoy yourself, but just not quite as much as the parties that you experienced when you chose Door #2. And as you leave this party, someone hands you $50.

After coming back out of Door #1, someone asks you how you liked it. You say: "It was really fun, and I got $50 to boot. But given the choice again, I wouldn't select that door and instead would stick with Door #2." This does not mean that you didn't enjoy yourself. Instead it means that you are more comfortable with a different choice and would always prefer the alternative.

So now, someone with a time machine comes along and offers you the opportunity to go back in time and change your selection. It would not be irrational to say "no", if one values the change of scenery and difference in experiences as being worth more than the hard-to-measure "fun factor", plus the additional $50. It also would not be irrational to say "yes", because in changing your selection, you will have more fun and come away with more money. Either choice can be justified.

So if it is rational for a person who has already made a choice to go back in time and change their selection, then it is equally rational for a person who has not yet made their election to not want to do something that they suspect will be fun, provided, of course, that they are confronted with an option that they perceive to be more enjoyable or profitable. If one had unlimited resources, then the change of scenery might be worthwhile, even if one knows that changing scenery will net them less fun and/or profit. But if one has limited resources, (as most of us do), then we attempt to maximize our fun and profit and may very well elect not to do something, even if we suspect we will like it, if that means passing up an opportunity to do something else that we think we will enjoy more. Of course, if the alternative to doing something that would be moderately fun and moderatley profitable is to do nothing, then it would make sense to pursue the fun and profit. Viewing this in terms of a typical cruiser, if your choice is a somewhat enjoyable cruise versus nothing, then take the cruise. If the choice is spending your limited resources on a somewhat enjoyable cruise, or saving your money for one that you suspect would be more fun, then it is not irrational to do the latter.

So, to summarize: :) " Did I have a great time? Yes!! Would I go back on this ship? Probably not." Ttg (FirstStateCruiser)

So, to summarize: :) " Did I have a great time? Yes!! Would I go back on this ship? Probably not." Ttg (FirstStateCruiser)
Exactly how I felt after my Celebrity cruise. Did I have a good time? Yes. Would I cruise Celebrity again? Doubtful.

I've been on cruises with problems on a variety of cruise lines, some major, some minor. Everything from not having a working toilet for 8 days of a 10-day cruise, a cabin steward walking into my cabin at 11:15pm (knowing I was alone) without knocking, a cabin steward tell me on embarkation day that she was far too busy to help me and she might see me the next day, etc. To me, problems do not make or break a cruise. It's the people I'm with or meet, the places I go, the sights I see, and my overall experience on the cruise. Have I cruised those ships and/or lines again? Yes.

Design "flaws" are actually subjective. I have a mid-ship cabin on the Royal in less than two weeks and I doubt I'll care whether there aren't any mid-ship stairs. I'll adjust and not worry about it. Nothing I can do so I'm not going to get uptight about the "lack" of stairs. I enjoy the promenade on other ships but to be honest, Princess has very few true promenade decks. Most are too narrow and don't have chairs or loungers, or they go up or down steps.

I am looking forward to seeing and meeting the literally hundreds of people on our roll call. THAT's why I'm even on this cruise.

I judge a company by how well it performs AND how well it rectifies problems. I sailed on the Disney Fantasy last year. Lovely cruise - had a great time. However, I was not impressed with the photography services onboard. I discovered I had been severely overcharged despite initial assurances to the contrary. Disney was swift and effective. It credited my huge difference back to me on the spot, then allowed me to select a dozen more photographs at no charge. Needless to say, I was happy. I came away from that potentially negative experience loving Disney even more. Bad experiences made right are just has important as good experiences - IMHO.

Archived