Albergo Cesari questions

TSUmom

Thanks Slidergirl.. that sounds absolutely delicious!!

It always is. It's not a fancy place, but the food is good. When I was last there, there was a local family of 4 who came in, a tourist couple (and I mean "tourist" ;) )from the Midwest, and a group of 8 20-somethings. Yes, I talked to the tourist couple - they were at the table next to me and they were discussing how to not get "taken" by the waiter and couldn't figure out some things. I tried to be helpful and got to talking to them a little. The local family I could tell came there often.

Be sure to save a little room for their antico torta Romana! Or, if the daughter has baked something special that night, try it. They are not US-dessert sweet, but just right…

On that new website (which they have redone since May - now has English) the picture of the artichokes is just what I had - oh my. they melted in my mouth. First time I ever had artichokes that way…

Do a search on "Armando al Pantheon" and find all the good articles on them. They are well-respected in the restaurant world.

WE really enjoyed the Albergo de Cesari - perfect family run hotel and GREAT location. If you ask the hotel for a restaurant recommendation they will send you to one that sits a bit behind the hotel but we found the restaurant right next to the hotel to have the best pizza/food that we ate in Rome. Unfortunately we tried it on our last day there but I am going in March and will check it out again.

I love Cruise Critic -- we will be staying at the Albergo Cesari next year, and the info in this thread is very helpful, particularly the food tips. Our biggest hassle in a new city is figuring out where to eat, so now we are already a bit ahead. Thanks everyone!

We stayed at the Albergo Cesari for three nights this June. We loved this hotel! It was very centrally located. We walked to the Vatican with no problem. Afterwards, we were going to take a cab back, but they wanted 27 euro (or dollars. I don't remember, it was really expensive) for six people. It was not any cheaper to take two cabs, so we walked back. A little gelato helped us pass the time. It was a long day, but we survived.

We also walked to the Colosseum. This was an enjoyable stroll. I would have walked back, but my son was not feeling well, so we took a cab. That cab ride was very reasonable. I don't know if cabs are more expensive at the Vatican.

Anyway, the Albergo Cesari was wonderful. There are lots of restaurants and shops. The Trevi fountain is a couple blocks one way. The Pantheon is a block the other way. The Piazza Navona is just a little further.

The terrace was great and the breakfast was lovely. The hotel recommended the restaurant Da Francesco. It was not fancy, but lovely food and a nice outside eating area. Good pizza, too! We ate there twice.

It always is. It's not a fancy place, but the food is good. When I was last there, there was a local family of 4 who came in, a tourist couple (and I mean "tourist" ;) )from the Midwest, and a group of 8 20-somethings. Yes, I talked to the tourist couple - they were at the table next to me and they were discussing how to not get "taken" by the waiter and couldn't figure out some things. I tried to be helpful and got to talking to them a little. The local family I could tell came there often.

Be sure to save a little room for their antico torta Romana! Or, if the daughter has baked something special that night, try it. They are not US-dessert sweet, but just right…

On that new website (which they have redone since May - now has English) the picture of the artichokes is just what I had - oh my. they melted in my mouth. First time I ever had artichokes that way…

Do a search on "Armando al Pantheon" and find all the good articles on them. They are well-respected in the restaurant world.

I guess all people from the Midwest are tourists. Were you not a tourist also?;)

We stayed at the Albergo Cesari for three nights this June. We loved this hotel! It was very centrally located. We walked to the Vatican with no problem. Afterwards, we were going to take a cab back, but they wanted 27 euro (or dollars. I don't remember, it was really expensive) for six people. It was not any cheaper to take two cabs, so we walked back. A little gelato helped us pass the time. It was a long day, but we survived.

We also walked to the Colosseum. This was an enjoyable stroll. I would have walked back, but my son was not feeling well, so we took a cab. That cab ride was very reasonable. I don't know if cabs are more expensive at the Vatican.

Anyway, the Albergo Cesari was wonderful. There are lots of restaurants and shops. The Trevi fountain is a couple blocks one way. The Pantheon is a block the other way. The Piazza Navona is just a little further.

The terrace was great and the breakfast was lovely. The hotel recommended the restaurant Da Francesco. It was not fancy, but lovely food and a nice outside eating area. Good pizza, too! We ate there twice.

Thank you for this information - I am like a sponge and absorb all I can before my cruise!!

I guess all people from the Midwest are tourists. Were you not a tourist also?;)

I was a solo traveler. The "tourist" in quotes was to imply they were doing some of those stereotypical things - had tour books out at the table, talking about how to avoid getting ripped off at this restaurant ("remember George, tell the guy we don't want bread, we want tap water"), complaining about saying the pasta isn't like what they get at home, "George" was wearing a Tshirt from Yellowstone National Park to dinner…

There is a difference between a traveler and a tourist - do a search on it. :)

I was a solo traveler. The "tourist" in quotes was to imply they were doing some of those stereotypical things - had tour books out at the table, talking about how to avoid getting ripped off at this restaurant ("remember George, tell the guy we don't want bread, we want tap water"), complaining about saying the pasta isn't like what they get at home, "George" was wearing a Tshirt from Yellowstone National Park to dinner…

There is a difference between a traveler and a tourist - do a search on it. :)

My concern was the comment about the Midwest. I would hate to stereotype anyone from the Midwest or New York or L.A. or Rome. I did a search, as you suggested, and there does not seem to be consensus between who is a traveler and who is a tourist. This might be a good topic for Cruise Critic. I don't think being a tourist is necessarily a bad thing.

I did a search, as you suggested, and there does not seem to be consensus between who is a traveler and who is a tourist. This might be a good topic for Cruise Critic. I don't think being a tourist is necessarily a bad thing.

This discussion has taken place on Cruise Critic from time to time. As you suggest, there is no consensus.

It can be difficult, as a "day tripper" in most ports, to experience places more like a temporary local (a Rick Steves' term) than as a tourist. But there are things I try to do:

• Avoid large tours if possible and sightsee on your own using local transportation. Some of the more amusing and interesting memories I have came about as a result of riding a bus in Rome or the tram in Istanbul or the quirkly old Circumvesuviana train in Naples.
  • Eat in local restaurants and stay in local hotels -- I avoid places like McDonalds and Marriott if at all possible in favor of a more original experience.
  • Don't spend so much time rushing from place to place that you forget to stop and "live in the moment."
  • Try to abide by local customs -- For example, if it is the custom not to tip, I don't go in with my American mentality and decide I "need" to tip anyway. Doing so is disrespectful to local patrons because after a while we Americans change the expectations about tipping. And please, wear appropriate clothing into any place of worship!
  • Above all, I try not to go to a place with the mentality that everyone is there to rip me off or take advantage of me.

This discussion has taken place on Cruise Critic from time to time. As you suggest, there is no consensus.

It can be difficult, as a "day tripper" in most ports, to experience places more like a temporary local (a Rick Steves' term) than as a tourist. But there are things I try to do:

• Avoid large tours if possible and sightsee on your own using local transportation. Some of the more amusing and interesting memories I have came about as a result of riding a bus in Rome or the tram in Istanbul or the quirkly old Circumvesuviana train in Naples.
  • Eat in local restaurants and stay in local hotels -- I avoid places like McDonalds and Marriott if at all possible in favor of a more original experience.
  • Don't spend so much time rushing from place to place that you forget to stop and "live in the moment."
  • Try to abide by local customs -- For example, if it is the custom not to tip, I don't go in with my American mentality and decide I "need" to tip anyway. Doing so is disrespectful to local patrons because after a while we Americans change the expectations about tipping. And please, wear appropriate clothing into any place of worship!
  • Above all, I try not to go to a place with the mentality that everyone is there to rip me off or take advantage of me.

Excellent advice!

My concern was the comment about the Midwest. I would hate to stereotype anyone from the Midwest or New York or L.A. or Rome. I did a search, as you suggested, and there does not seem to be consensus between who is a traveler and who is a tourist. This might be a good topic for Cruise Critic. I don't think being a tourist is necessarily a bad thing.

Well, the couple was from the Midwest…;) I had a little conversation with them. Everyone complains about guys wearing Tshirts to the MDR on cruises as inappropriate. Well, this guy and his Yellowstone Tshirt in a nice Roman trattoria...

Agree with cruisemom42 (no surprise there). If you only have 6 hours in a place, it's tough to do. But, don't try to pack every "must see" into that time. To me, it's a little like not seeing the forest for the trees. There's nothing wrong with being a tourist. But, don't be the stereotypical tourist…

I like to try to stay at non-chain hotels, but sometimes my employee discounts are too good to pass up in order to stay at some really nice hotels!

Edited by slidergirl

I have reserved my room with the Albergo Cesari!! Three nights in May of 2015 and I got a 7% discount for the 3 night stay. I had an immediate email reply from them giving me info about the hotel and our stay and the rates for an airport to hotel transfer for three. I am excited and it is 18 months away still!!

I have reserved my room with the Albergo Cesari!! Three nights in May of 2015 and I got a 7% discount for the 3 night stay. I had an immediate email reply from them giving me info about the hotel and our stay and the rates for an airport to hotel transfer for three. I am excited and it is 18 months away still!!

Have you ever thought of renting an apartment? We just did that last month for 3 nights in the Camp Di Fiori area. It was almost 600 sq ft which was so nice as most hotel rooms in europe are so small. We paid 100 euro's a night and will do the same on the next trip to Rome. Just loved the fealing of being a local. Our apt even came with a lap top computer with wifi for our personel use. If you are interested and want any info email me LARRY.BLACKWELL@FERGUSON.COMM.

Wow. I am researching for our March 2015 vacation. . . .cool that you were able to book this & check it off as done!

I may have to make up my mind sooner than I realized! LOL

Wow. I am researching for our March 2015 vacation. . . .cool that you were able to book this & check it off as done!

I may have to make up my mind sooner than I realized! LOL

I am definitely a planner and I have a checklist of what needs to be booked. I try to get as many things done early if possible. Right now I am working with a company on transportation and tours. My DH is just the opposite, I just ask him his opinion and he always agrees. If it was not for me he would just fly over and not have a plan....I can't be like that:o

I am definitely a planner and I have a checklist of what needs to be booked. I try to get as many things done early if possible. Right now I am working with a company on transportation and tours. My DH is just the opposite, I just ask him his opinion and he always agrees. If it was not for me he would just fly over and not have a plan....I can't be like that:o

I'm an early planner/researcher too. I have a few hotels in Rome bookmarked as "maybes", The Albergo Cesari being one of them. But generally hotels do not book further out than 330 days. I'm not familiar with Italy (it will be our first trip there), so I didn't realize they offer bookings further out than that.

I LOVE checking things off as done. It makes it more real for me.

Looks like a great location.

I'm an early planner/researcher too. I have a few hotels in Rome bookmarked as "maybes", The Albergo Cesari being one of them. But generally hotels do not book further out than 330 days. I'm not familiar with Italy (it will be our first trip there), so I didn't realize they offer bookings further out than that.

I LOVE checking things off as done. It makes it more real for me.

Looks like a great location.

I did not know I could book this far out either and when I did a price check and it allowed me to use 2015 I was surprised. This is our first time travelling to Europe and I assumed it was like the US and I would have to wait until 330 days.

I did not know I could book this far out either and when I did a price check and it allowed me to use 2015 I was surprised. This is our first time travelling to Europe and I assumed it was like the US and I would have to wait until 330 days.

Usually rooms are not available that far in advance on hotel websites, but if you contact the hotel personally (via email) they can often make your reservation for you.

For those of you making reservations far in advance, I would recommend looking at the rate once in a while to check the price. The rate dropped when I checked it a few months ago 30 euro so I emailed albergo and they updated my reservation. It has since tripled in rate. Im assuming its because i have a quad room reserved and there are only a few of them.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Seems there are a few of us that are going to give the Albergo Cesari a try! You really can't beat the price and location so I just booked it. Going to stay 3 days post cruise so we got the discount too :D

I promise to come back and post pictures and a quick review in early November 2014!

I am also considering Albergo Cesari for a pre-cruise night with our family of four. Glad some have had good experiences. When delving deep into the mediocre reviews on TA, you find a lot of Americans questioning how clean the bathrooms are and how friendly the staff is. So I am hesitating to book it.

And does anyone else find it a bit disconcerting that some hotels offer a 5% discount to guests who write a TA review or "Like" them on Facebook. Albergo Cesari does as does Hotel Campo de Fiori. Just makes you wonder whether the positive reviews are really warranted.

Don't want to pay the price for Albergo del Senato and while we liked our terrace rooms at Residenza Coronari i Canali in 2012, carrying our big luggage upstairs was a pain.

Edited by lovestx

I am also considering Albergo Cesari for a pre-cruise night with our family of four. Glad some have had good experiences. When delving deep into the mediocre reviews on TA, you find a lot of Americans questioning how clean the bathrooms are and how friendly the staff is. So I am hesitating to book it.

And does anyone else find it a bit disconcerting that some hotels offer a 5% discount to guests who write a TA review or "Like" them on Facebook. Albergo Cesari does as does Hotel Campo de Fiori. Just makes you wonder whether the positive reviews are really warranted.

Don't want to pay the price for Albergo del Senato and while we liked our terrace rooms at Residenza Coronari i Canali in 2012, carrying our big luggage upstairs was a pain.

The "discount" is available to anyone, the amount of the discount is based on how many days you stay. You don't have to write a review.

I take TA reviews with a grain of salt. Some people just cannot be pleased no matter what. People also tend to write a review only when they have a negative experience only, so the whole thing is skewed.

European hotels are smaller and different than US hotels and if you plan on staying in a small, historic, boutique hotel, than you must adjust one's expectation going in. For me, a clean room is always expected because there is no excuse for that, but tiny rooms, beds, bathrooms, power that shuts off when I leave the room and hard beds are the what I expect in Europe (in my experience).

I see you have a family of four like I do. I found it very hard to find a hotel that will accommodate four in one room, so I was very pleased to find that not only did Albergo have a superior location, wifi and breakfast, it had quad rooms at a decent price. Like I said on a previous post, my rate has more than doubled, so I wouldn't wait too long for a quad room because of supply and demand.