Dare to take a peek?

TipsyT

I spend way too much time here looking at pictures of food and menus. Thinking about what are the yummiest foods to order on board and what I'm going to put on my "Must Eat" list for the next cruise. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE to look at those pictures and dream about those meals. It's one of the pleasures of the pre-cruise gear up. But...

If Princess would ever make the nutritional info for their menu items available (calories, fat grams, sodium, carbs, etc.) would you dare to look? Would it change the way you order your meals?

I'm thinking there would be a lot of these faces in the MDR: :eek::eek::eek:

TipsyT (not sure I'd be brave enough to take a peek)

I might peek. Remember, Princess does label the items that are lower in calories, salt and fat on the menus, which does help.

My attitude is that as long as you're not crazy, a little indulgence on vacation is OK. No need to fret over anything by counting calories.

And don;t forget to exercise. Even if it is a little, it certainly goes a long way to dispel any guilt.....;)

Nope!! We did a 28 day cruise that had me really concerned about gaining weight. I ate whatever I wanted, walked every morning, took the stairs everywhere. Outcome....gained 2 pounds. They disappeared the following week.

Eat, drink and be merry!!

Denise

I would not pay attention to it. Some cruises I really watch what I eat and some I eat anything I want. I have a good idea of what calorie counts would be and how shocking they can be. I do look at some of the calorie counts on menus in restaurants in my area and it can be astonishing that a plate of pasta for instance can be over 2000 calories.:eek:

If Princess would ever make the nutritional info for their menu items available (calories, fat grams, sodium, carbs, etc.) would you dare to look? Would it change the way you order your meals?

I would look and I know I would think twice and sometimes change what I was ordering. However, in the last 4 cruises we've taken, we've both lost weight. We are much more active on vacation than we are at home in our sedentary jobs.

I don't want to know--I'm sure it is shocking for some foods--and wouldn't look. I try to eat sensibly most of the time at home, but on a cruise I eat what I want, without being ridiculous, and don't worry about it.

I also don't want to see the menus ahead of time--spoils the fun for me.

I eat anything I want on a cruise, but I find that, because of all the walking, I only gain 3 to 4 pounds and that's from the saline in the water.:)

It's not the saline in the water, it's the salt the kitchen adds to everything on the menu.

But if you go back to your regular eating/exercise routine when you get home, those cruise pounds will melt right off. Your body has a "set weight" which it will strive to maintain; short indulgences -- even a 7 day cruise -- don't change the set point, so your metabolism will be your friend when you get home.

It's not the saline in the water, it's the salt the kitchen adds to everything on the menu.

But if you go back to your regular eating/exercise routine when you get home, those cruise pounds will melt right off. Your body has a "set weight" which it will strive to maintain; short indulgences -- even a 7 day cruise -- don't change the set point, so your metabolism will be your friend when you get home.

Yay!!!:D

Hell NO!:eek: First of all I don't need the cruise lines or restaurants to post the nutritional information to tell me what the content of the food is. I think everyone knows exactly what they are eating and like me choose to ignore it while on vacation. Those with health issues know what they have to do as well. We don't have the luxury of being able to cruise that often so we look forward to eating what we are not able to at home. If we were like others who are on the ship weeks and months at a time that would be a different story because too much of a good thing isn't good and we would probably get tired of constantly eating all of that rich food.

I spend way too much time here looking at pictures of food and menus. Thinking about what are the yummiest foods to order on board and what I'm going to put on my "Must Eat" list for the next cruise. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE to look at those pictures and dream about those meals. It's one of the pleasures of the pre-cruise gear up. But...

I'm thinking there would be a lot of these faces in the MDR: :eek::eek::eek:

TipsyT (not sure I'd be brave enough to take a peek)

The only thing I'd like to know for sure is the sodium content because if left to his own devices, my DH will sodium his blood pressure into the stratosphere, which sends us to the ER...again. I'm thinking of forcing the issue by putting a low salt proviso in his cruise personalizer. He will get mad even though he knows I'm right!

Would not peek. I diet all year long for this one chance to indulge. :D:D:D

Me too. I specifically will lose 10 lbs so when I gain weight on the cruise, I will be right back to where I was instead of 10 lbs heavier than I am now.

Yes, I would take a peek if they posted the nutritional numbers, however, wouldn't change my mind on ordering the creme brulee or lobster bisque, as these are 2 of only a few dishes that I indulge myself. I'm in the exercise room or jogging the track at least 2 hrs a day while onboard, so I normally break even when I get home. My husband, who never gains weight normally, is always 5 - 8 lbs heavier when we get home. Of course, when I go to the gym, he's heading back to the cabin for another nap :D. Also by the 4th day, I'm getting really, really sick of food. That's when we begin skipping the MDR and just picking up food here and there for the rest of the trip.

Yes, I would take a peek if they posted the nutritional numbers, however, wouldn't change my mind on ordering the creme brulee or lobster bisque, as these are 2 of only a few dishes that I indulge myself. I'm in the exercise room or jogging the track at least 2 hrs a day while onboard, so I normally break even when I get home. My husband, who never gains weight normally, is always 5 - 8 lbs heavier when we get home. Of course, when I go to the gym, he's heading back to the cabin for another nap :D. Also by the 4th day, I'm getting really, really sick of food. That's when we begin skipping the MDR and just picking up food here and there for the rest of the trip.

THEY HAVE LOBSTER BISQUE?????? :eek: Guess I need to add that to my "Must have" list. Thanks. :D

Archived