Smokers

brian_uk

I fully realize that the OP presented a legitimate question that needed an answer from those that know........and I am glad that our experienced travelers answered it. However, when I saw the title of the thread, I must admit, I gave out a big "groan".......like, "oh no, here we go again with another smoking thread!"...:rolleyes:

In all my travels, I have never encountered smoking on a tour bus or van, or airport / car rental shuttles for that matter. Once or twice, some time ago, I seem to recall a taxi driver smoking, but I asked him to stop.

I would not hesitate to ask someone to refrain from smoking in a tour bus or van.

what's next? 4th hand smoke where you sit next to someone who sat next to some one who smelled like smoke?

How about 5th hand smoke? That would be if you sat next to someone who sat next to someone who passed someone on the street who was smoking.

Where does it end??? Why don't we just outlaw cigs all together and be done with it? Oh, i forgot the millions of tax dollars that would be lost. That's why. I'm all for non-smoking, but geeze, where do you draw the line?

bravo!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

like like like

To avoid any doubt I am not concerned about anybody smoking on the bus/van journey as I have never seen this anywhere on my travels.....BUT it is those that smoke at every stop and the smell lingers on their person.

I am also talking about tours organised by CC Members at various Ports.

I appreciate your input.

Brian

To avoid any doubt I am not concerned about anybody smoking on the bus/van journey as I have never seen this anywhere on my travels.....BUT it is those that smoke at every stop and the smell lingers on their person.

I appreciate your input.

Brian

I seriously doubt you have any control over people smoking during the tour and carrying residual scent of it on their person/breath.

You likely would be happiest arranging a private tour in a vehicle reserved for you and those of your choosing.

It is not reasonable IMO to expect any tour director to be able to guarantee you no smokers will be a part of your tour group.

I agree the smell is unpleasant and I stood in line the other day at a cash register behind a man who carried the smell of smoke on his clothes/himself so strongly it truly was offensive. I had to step out of the line rather than remain behind him.

What's next? 4th hand smoke where you sit next to someone who sat next to some one who smelled like smoke?

How about 5th hand smoke? That would be if you sat next to someone who sat next to someone who passed someone on the street who was smoking.

Where does it end??? Why don't we just outlaw cigs all together and be done with it? Oh, I forgot the millions of tax dollars that would be lost. That's why. I'm all for non-smoking, but geeze, where do you draw the line?

Yeah and what about sitting next to someone who is drenched in perfume, which I'm hightly alergic to.

Bravo HamOp, and a great question, where does it end, where do we draw the line? What has happened to us where there is no tolerance. We really have become a me-me society.

I appreciate your input.

Brian

So again I will ask. If smokers tell you they do plan on having a cigarette at excursion stops, (at a reasonable distance from the bus or van where no one would have to walk through first-hand smoke), exactly what is the remedy for your problem that you would expect smokers to honor? A limited # of stops where smoking would be allowed off the bus? No stops where smoking would be allowed off the bus? Who would enforce this? CC members who organize tours are to forbid smokers to participate in the tour?

Since you brought up your problem I'm sure you do have a solution in mind and hope you will share it

I agree. It's called third hand smoke, and it is very noticeable to non-smokers who are in close proximity to smokers, regardless of whether they are actively smoking or not. And definitely not a pleasant odor by any means.

Not trying to be controversial, but there is scientific evidence that third hand smoke also poses a danger to other people's health.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/third-hand-smoke/AN01985

I get offended by the old people who wear cheap perfume more than someone who has smoke on them.

Since you brought up your problem I'm sure you do have a solution in mind and hope you will share it

He can choose not to participate in the CC roll call group tour. Easy.

His question was how to go about asking' date=' so he has the information on which to make a reasoned decision. [/color']

Let's not make more out of the post than it requires.

I draw the line at the exact spot where someone's right to smoke interferes with my right to breathe clean air :D

OP is talking about a smell on someone's body he doesn't like, not inhaling cigarette smoke. He could just as easily be talking about perfume, garlic breath, shampoo/soap odors, sweat, or hair spray and objecting to people with those on their body being around him. As someone else said, where does it stop? I agree that a private tour would be best. ;)

OP is talking about a smell on someone's body he doesn't like, not inhaling cigarette smoke. He could just as easily be talking about perfume, garlic breath, shampoo/soap odors, sweat, or hair spray and objecting to people with those on their body being around him. As someone else said, where does it stop? I agree that a private tour would be best. ;)

I agree , i understand people have allergies, and sensitivities to smoke and odors . But if you are that much of a hot house orchid that every little scent will bother you , you are best to go on your own.

I agree , i understand people have allergies, and sensitivities to smoke and odors . But if you are that much of a hot house orchid that every little scent will bother you , you are best to go on your own.

"Hot House Orchid" I love it!:D:D

What an apt description......

Amazing where a simple question can take you.

To answer a few points raised.

1. We have taken a number of Cruises and normally limit private tours to no more than 6 people and we would ask whether anyone is a smoker. We can then make a choice.

2. I would agree that certain perfumes can affect others (not me, although I have my favorites) and things like garlic can also be unpleasant.

3. One objector raised the point of stale perfume on old people....but I do not see what age has to do with it !

4. Yes we can organise small private tours but in this case were looking at joining a larger group hence my question.

5. This was a personal question and answers were needed to get a general view but as usual there are those that just like to be argumentative.

Thank you all.

Brian

Dont forget to ask whether there will be any obese people who may infringe upon your seating area. And also about anyone who drinks alcohol as sitting next to them while they reek of booze is very unpleasant. And dont forget about whether any small children who may make noise will be on your tour.

1. We have taken a number of Cruises and normally limit private tours to no more than 6 people and we would ask whether anyone is a smoker. We can then make a choice.

2. I would agree that certain perfumes can affect others (not me, although I have my favorites) and things like garlic can also be unpleasant.

3. One objector raised the point of stale perfume on old people....but I do not see what age has to do with it !

4. Yes we can organise small private tours but in this case were looking at joining a larger group hence my question.

5. This was a personal question and answers were needed to get a general view but as usual there are those that just like to be argumentative.

Thank you all.

Brian

Brian,

If you think some of the replies were argumentative, you really need to read some of the other posts that deal with the subject.

This thread was a love fest by comparison.:)

To the OP - So what if one of your tablemates in the MDR (if you do traditional dining sitting w/others) is a smoker? Hope you're not sitting next to me because I have a cigarette just before dinner and have been known to step out during dinner when service is running slow between courses. YIKES! Oh the humanity!

Dont forget to ask whether there will be any obese people who may infringe upon your seating area. And also about anyone who drinks alcohol as sitting next to them while they reek of booze is very unpleasant. And dont forget about whether any small children who may make noise will be on your tour.

Classic!! Bravo....

To the OP - So what if one of your tablemates in the MDR (if you do traditional dining sitting w/others) is a smoker? Hope you're not sitting next to me because I have a cigarette just before dinner and have been known to step out during dinner when service is running slow between courses. YIKES! Oh the humanity!

Not to mention many of the stewards smoke. A few cruises ago, we had a cabin steward who we could tell smoked. It didn't bother us, it's was his right.

I have to say that I am amazed at this thread.

I have booked a lot of private tours in my time and never has anyone asked how many smokers were on the van/Mercedes/whatever.

If we had a smoker or two they discreetly disappeared to a section to have their puff and came back. There was no pollution and, no , no one smelled it in the van that I am aware of and yes, I have a very sharp nose.

I would far rather have a good travelling companion who happened to smoke and was considerate (and they are on tours - they are very cognizant) than others that I have not put on tours deliberately because they are demanding, etc.

Good manners and good company win the day for me anytime.

I've never asked if they smoke - don't care - as an experienced traveller will not impose on others.

As a recent tour guide said to me - some people are tourists and some are travellers - Travellers go with the flow and know how to make the best of things.

OP - do yourself a favour and travel with travellers and not tourists - don't worry about their habits - those that do are few and those that do will be very thoughtful on the private tours:D

JMO - but sorry I couldn't help but to say it:o

and if you are going in larger group there are no guarantees about anything

If you have a smoker, whatever and the odour bothers you ask to change seats. If you are going on a large bus instead of a small private van I wouldn't worry as the smells of some buses will probably eliminate it for you :)

Thank you all.

Brian

Yes you have been pounced on, but in fairness, Brian, you have to admit there are no guarantees in life - anyone is entitled to do whatever is legal, whether it be have a smoke during a pit stop, wear perfume, eat garlic or not wear a deodorant:( If you want to avoid the risk of being in a bus or van with someone who smells of cigarette smoke, then your option is to arrange a private tour for yourself and companion(s).

As one of the people on the Roll Calls who is habitually organizing private tours as I love to do it - AND the wife aka travelin' buddy aka best friend of 43 years who is a smoker (actually the pipe smoker that Startwin mentioned :-) , I feel qualified to put my two cents in.

Brian, for the answer to your question - if you were to ask me if any one on the private tour that I had so lovingly arranged (because I really do like doing that) had any smokers on it, I would not feel you were being politically 'uncorrect' & I wouldn't mind you asking.

I would just simply tell you that you could book or not depending on how you feel, but my husband was a smoker & would indeed be very considerate in smoking away from the bus on the various stops. And then I would suggest, very nicely, that you may want to book a private tour by yourself if the lingering smell of smoke offended you. Or, to go back on the roll call and find someone else organizing a specific non-smokers tour. But, no, I wouldn't mind if you asked me that. :-)

Archived