Gratuities

bushy tail

It's been a long, long time since HAL moved from the "Tipping not Required" to the Hotel Service Charge.

My memory (perhaps faulty by now) is that during that change-over, the discussion was part of the Disembarkation Talk.

It's been a long, long time since HAL moved from the "Tipping not Required" to the Hotel Service Charge.

My memory (perhaps faulty by now) is that during that change-over, the discussion was part of the Disembarkation Talk.

That change over happened soon after I started cruising, and the details were explained during the disembarkation talk. Your memory serves you well, Ruth.

Somehow, I think that the people who remove the service charge don't care if their names are posted on a list somewhere. They just don't want to pay it, and I bet a lot of them don't tip individuals either.:(

Probably very true. And, BTW, GOOD LUCK WITH THEIR LUGGAGE when they disembark the ship!!!

That is my memory as well, Ruth. :)

You have it right....... as usual.

Probably very true. And, BTW, GOOD LUCK WITH THEIR LUGGAGE when they disembark the ship!!!

I am not condoning removing the HSC but I think this is a ridiculous suggestion. I do not believe ANY retribution would be taken OR PERMITTED due to a cruisers tipping habits.

Scott & Karen

I am not condoning removing the HSC but I think this is a ridiculous suggestion. I do not believe ANY retribution would be taken OR PERMITTED due to a cruisers tipping habits.

Scott & Karen

Of course it wouldn't be permitted, but I wouldn't be the least surprised to find that it has happened. It could be as subtle as removing the color/number tag so that it doesn't get placed correctly in the baggage claim area.

Luggage belonging to nasty passengers at airport check-in counters has been known to "go astray".

Edited by catl331

We just finished our 7 day cruise today and wasn't even aware that you could remove the tipping charge... Personally I don't mind paying it... We ended up tipping certain people above and beyond because of such wonderful service.

Well, for me. the (daily) HSC, (tips), put in place by HAL works for me without having to "generously tip on top of that" & "add extra tips" works for me! :) But then again, I'm not one to look for bragging rights! ;)

Gee, what a surprise!!

Edited by kjw869

Of course it wouldn't be permitted, but I wouldn't be the least surprised to find that it has happened. It could be as subtle as removing the color/number tag so that it doesn't get placed correctly in the baggage claim area.

Luggage belonging to nasty passengers at airport check-in counters has been known to "go astray".

I like to think that the HAL crews are more professional than that. It comes down to a simple two wrongs don't make a right.

Going to ask here instead of starting a new thread. We'll be on the 4 day Eurodam sailing in December, I am considering reserving a pool cabana for one day. I think $30 is very reasonable. Is there a tip added to that automatically for the staff that service the cabana? Or just tip cash at the end of the day?

Going to ask here instead of starting a new thread. We'll be on the 4 day Eurodam sailing in December, I am considering reserving a pool cabana for one day. I think $30 is very reasonable. Is there a tip added to that automatically for the staff that service the cabana? Or just tip cash at the end of the day?

When we had our poolside cabana the attendant was a member of the regular bar staff and they receive their tips from the 15% added onto the cost of drinks. We had the cabana for the length of the cruise and gave an extra tip at the end for looking after us.

On another note, the chances of being able to rent a pool cabana for a day once you get aboard might not be good. They only open them up for day purchase if they have not been pre booked for the length of cruise. They are quite popular on Caribbean cruises.

When we had our poolside cabana the attendant was a member of the regular bar staff and they receive their tips from the 15% added onto the cost of drinks. We had the cabana for the length of the cruise and gave an extra tip at the end for looking after us.

On another note, the chances of being able to rent a pool cabana for a day once you get aboard might not be good. They only open them up for day purchase if they have not been pre booked for the length of cruise. They are quite popular on Caribbean cruises.

Thanks. I know there is a chance not to get one for just a day but I'll chance it, not sure if better or worse chance with the shorter cruise...although right now we might only get off at HMC so maybe I should check for entire cruise.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, I need to go one step further(first timer here). When I booked my cruise my TA advised me to include grats in the purchase of the ticket. Disney charges $60/ea for this. So, technically, I haven't even boarded yet but I've already given a $180 tip. I'm fine with that as long as my trip goes well. My question is, since I've already been charged grats will I be billed a "HSC" in addition at the end of my cruise?

You cannot pay in advance the qrats per say, but I suppose you could by depositing the "grats" money in the on board account in advance. You could then say you paid them in advance. The debit would be there when they apply the Hotel Service Charge.

Hi

I went down to front desk late afternoon the last day before we got to LT Lauerdale Nov 8-18 cruise. There were quite a number of people there to remove the hotel charge. I went down to get something.

Mary

Its time HAl just add this to the fare.

Hi

I went down to front desk late afternoon the last day before we got to LT Lauerdale Nov 8-18 cruise. There were quite a number of people there to remove the hotel charge. I went down to get something.

Mary

Its time HAl just add this to the fare.

That is sad to read what you observed' date=' Watson's aunt. It would really bother me to witness people removing the HSC. I agree - HAL should include it as a line item that cannot be removed or increase the cruise fares enough to cover it.[/quote']

We have witnessed on quite a few cruises people standing in line at the front desk on the last couple of days of the cruise to sign the form to remove the Hotel Service Charge.

And it happened again on our recent cruise. We went to the front desk to donate to the Supertyphoone Red Cross and it was mobbed again.

Very sad.

Ok, I need to go one step further(first timer here). When I booked my cruise my TA advised me to include grats in the purchase of the ticket. Disney charges $60/ea for this. So, technically, I haven't even boarded yet but I've already given a $180 tip. I'm fine with that as long as my trip goes well. My question is, since I've already been charged grats will I be billed a "HSC" in addition at the end of my cruise?

AFFire, this is a HAL forum. As each cruise line has its own policies on when and how much to pay, you would be better served asking the question on the Disney forum:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=167

I hope that you enjoy your cruise!

That is sad to read what you observed, Watson's aunt. It would really bother me to witness people removing the HSC. I agree - HAL should include it as a line item that cannot be removed or increase the cruise fares enough to cover it.

It could have been the people who had no air conditioning throughout the cruise and were upset with lack of remedial response. Not the right way to deal with it, but when it is called a "Hotel Service Charge" they might not have considered that it goes to the crew, especially if they were new cruisers.