Major changes at Carnival Corp!

indokiwi

Just because Mr Kruse is now over seeing a few more areas under the Carnival umbrella does not mean that things are going to change for the consumer/passengers. In all honesty I see absolutely nothing changing. Princess will be Princess same has HAL will remain the same as it is now. Mr Kruse was CEO of Seabourn as well as HAL and there were no over lapping of policies and or combining of cruise credits. The only similarity was their booking engine and Up Sell offers (which btw were not nearly as good a HAL's) Princess shares the same booking engine and internal computer system that HAL and Seabourn use. It was actually Princess's to begin with. Many things that we see Princess doing was done first by them and HAL followed. I do not expect to be a single change other than Mr Kruse will have more people under him to handle the day to day management activities. And he will probably be flying to California a lot more often. Don't expect there to be in sharing between the cruise lines.

Too funny right after I posted the above I received an email that was address from Stein Kruse. I received this because of my occupation.

This is a portion of the letter. Please note the last paragraph!!

Today a series of announcements were made by Carnival Corporation & plc, reflecting several new strategies to accelerate the strengthening of our brands and create further positive momentum in the marketplace.

As announced, I will become CEO of Princess Cruises and Holland America–Princess Alaska land operations, in addition to my current role as CEO, Holland America Line and Chairman, Seabourn. These changes will become effective December 1, 2013.

Also announced today was the appointment of Jan Swartz to President, Princess Cruises. I am looking forward to furthering our collective support of our valued travel partners, in collaboration with Jan and her colleague Richard Meadows, President, Seabourn and EVP Marketing, Sales & Guest Programs, Holland America Line.

As we all share a common desire to exceed our guests’ expectations, I want to reassure you that all of our brands have a unique and special place in the market, and they will remain as independent brands. There is absolutely no intention of combining brands. All have a great reputation and history, loyal guests and the potential for further growth and success and we are excited for the future.

Does every post have to end up talking about wine policies?

Talk about redundant:eek:

Of course:D. Is there a thread dedicated to wine policies only right now? I'm still trying to get caught up from holidays so I might have missed it. We might forget otherwise;).

Just because Mr Kruse is now over seeing a few more areas under the Carnival umbrella does not mean that things are going to change for the consumer/passengers. In all honesty I see absolutely nothing changing. Princess will be Princess same has HAL will remain the same as it is now. Mr Kruse was CEO of Seabourn as well as HAL and there were no over lapping of policies and or combining of cruise credits. The only similarity was their booking engine and Up Sell offers (which btw were not nearly as good a HAL's) Princess shares the same booking engine and internal computer system that HAL and Seabourn use. It was actually Princess's to begin with. Many things that we see Princess doing was done first by them and HAL followed. I do not expect to be a single change other than Mr Kruse will have more people under him to handle the day to day management activities. And he will probably be flying to California a lot more often. Don't expect there to be in sharing between the cruise lines.

Too funny right after I posted the above I received an email that was address from Stein Kruse. I received this because of my occupation.

Today a series of announcements were made by Carnival Corporation & plc, reflecting several new strategies to accelerate the strengthening of our brands and create further positive momentum in the marketplace.

As announced, I will become CEO of Princess Cruises and Holland America–Princess Alaska land operations, in addition to my current role as CEO, Holland America Line and Chairman, Seabourn. These changes will become effective December 1, 2013.

Also announced today was the appointment of Jan Swartz to President, Princess Cruises. I am looking forward to furthering our collective support of our valued travel partners, in collaboration with Jan and her colleague Richard Meadows, President, Seabourn and EVP Marketing, Sales & Guest Programs, Holland America Line.

As we all share a common desire to exceed our guests’ expectations, I want to reassure you that all of our brands have a unique and special place in the market, and they will remain as independent brands. There is absolutely no intention of combining brands. All have a great reputation and history, loyal guests and the potential for further growth and success and we are excited for the future.

Lisa - Thank you for your two posts. You said it so much better than I was going to attempt to say it. What they are doing is not uncommon at all in big business. I never thought any changes would be made that "we" would see. Changes will be behind the scenes (combining resources, etc).

Where does Cunard fit into this scheme?

Cunard actually falls under Carnival UK, headed by David Dingle. They are based in Southampton England at Carnival's 2nd major headquarters, called "Carnival House". The same is true of P&O. Princess Cruises in California is responsible for North American sales, marketing, and reservations for Cunard, but they have no say in the day to day operation of the brand or how it's managed. Think of Princess as a general sales agent (GSA) for Cunard in the US.

Both Cunard and P&O recently had their own shake ups. The President of Cunard (Peter Shanks) and Managing Director of P&O (Carol Marlow) were both let go after years of service for Carnival. Their positions will not be filled, and instead the highest ranking executive at both brands will be a Marketing Director. In addition, there will be something called an "Insight Director" who will cover both brands.

What all this means I don't know. But there sure has been a lot of shaking up at Carnival Corp. as of late.

Ernie

While they will not be combining brands, when you have one person with the ultimate control over these brands we will see his philosophy and management style spread to his new areas of influence. I can't say that I'm terribly impressed with the way HAL is currently run. Their land based customer service and their lack of consistency in regards to policy from ship to ship are two glaring examples that leap to mind.

While they will not be combining brands, when you have one person with the ultimate control over these brands we will see his philosophy and management style spread to his new areas of influence. I can't say that I'm terribly impressed with the way HAL is currently run. Their land based customer service and their lack of consistency in regards to policy from ship to ship are two glaring examples that leap to mind.

While I find Lisa's words reassuring it sounds too much like the stuff I heard when I wrote HAL on the wine policy (sorry but when I wrote I got the same standard answer before anyone complains about me bringing up the wine policy, when you spend over nearly 60 days on HAL in one year and get the 'standard' response it is quite clear that your business is not valued - and I did not even say what category we were in at full price in all but a 7day cruise:rolleyes:)

I share your concerns. I have been on the Seabourn threads and see concerns there as well. Let's hope common sense prevails and the clue in to offering discounts if you book early rather than giving it away at the end.

Hopefully the new top dog gets the picture - we can only hope.

Edited by kazu

Hal could learn something from Princess. I've done quite a few cruises on Princess and they never struggle in the MDR like HAL does.

Amen. We just did our first Princess cruise, and found the MDR experience significantly superior to our last couple of HAL sailings -- in food quality, presentation, and especially service.

While I find Lisa's words reassuring it sounds too much like the stuff I heard when I wrote HAL on the wine policy (sorry but when I wrote I got the same standard answer before anyone complains about me bringing up the wine policy, when you spend over nearly 60 days on HAL in one year and get the 'standard' response it is quite clear that your business is not valued - and I did not even say what category we were in at full price in all but a 7day cruise:rolleyes:)

I share your concerns. I have been on the Seabourn threads and see concerns there as well. Let's hope common sense prevails and the clue in to offering discounts if you book early rather than giving it away at the end.

Hopefully the new top dog gets the picture - we can only hope.

Jacqui - You know that 99% of the time I agree with your posts. This is not directed at you alone, but to all the others who also complained about their "standard response" when sending HAL letters protesting the new wine policy. From the news release I will quote: "The newly created Holland America Group operates 41 cruise ships with over 36,000 employees worldwide who annually deliver 25 million passenger cruise days." Honestly, how does anyone who has worked in business expect Mr. Kruse to write a personal response to you when he will have the responsibilities listed above. It's just not going to happen. ;) Ok - off my soapbox.

It is too bad in a way. HAL could use a darn good shake up at the senior management level. They might try listening to customers. And spend more money to maintain their ships.

Perhaps he was promoted because of his cost cutting actions. It is the bottom line that counts. If this is the case, watch out Princess.

Edited by iancal

There was a time when each ship was essentially its own company. Chefs had a budget, captain had a budget, etc. A chef could do whatever he wanted and take money from other budgets under his to do special things.

Those days are long gone as every decision is dictated by Seattle. These moves continue centralizing control. Whether that is good or bad depends on your perspective and your position.

It is too bad in a way. HAL could use a darn good shake up at the senior management level. They might try listening to customers. And spend more money to maintain their ships.

Perhaps he was promoted because of his cost cutting actions. It is the bottom line that counts. If this is the case, watch out Princess.

Princess' nosedive has been jarring in the past 5 years. We were loyal to them (iirc 12 cruises) but no more. Even my beloved Island is a no go (although it is my favorite designed ship I've ever been on).

Jacqui - You know that 99% of the time I agree with your posts. This is not directed at you alone, but to all the others who also complained about their "standard response" when sending HAL letters protesting the new wine policy. From the news release I will quote: "The newly created Holland America Group operates 41 cruise ships with over 36,000 employees worldwide who annually deliver 25 million passenger cruise days." Honestly, how does anyone who has worked in business expect Mr. Kruse to write a personal response to you when he will have the responsibilities listed above. It's just not going to happen. ;) Ok - off my soapbox.

I do so agree with you, however - on the diabolical way the new wine policy was rolled out, the buck stops with Stein Kruse. Whichever bright sparks were responsible for that, he should have fired them immediately and done some PR damage control. So this is the general attitude, I guess, that he will take with him to his new position.

I do so agree with you, however - on the diabolical way the new wine policy was rolled out, the buck stops with Stein Kruse. Whichever bright sparks were responsible for that, he should have fired them immediately and done some PR damage control. So this is the general attitude, I guess, that he will take with him to his new position.

I can't argue with what you have said Startwin. I think you need to hope he does know of the unhappiness of some passengers about the new policy ... and that his staff has not protected him from the number of communications.