Getting Carnival Credit for Mariner Society

Spectre777

Hello everyone. My wife and I just booked our first cruise on HAL. We have cruised with Carnival before and have past VIFP numbers. I've heard there's a way to get credit for being a past guest so when we show up for our HAL cruise, we get the welcome back perks. Does anyone know how to do that?

I'm sorry if this has been answered somewhere else. I did search the forums for a while without coming up with anything promising. The Carnival and HAL websites don't seem to answer that question, and my scatterbrained and comically unprepared but lovable travel agent wasn't much help either.

Please and thank you.

Dave

Your last sentence blew my suggestion right out of the water---I was going to suggest you ask your TA to check with Seattle to be sure they have you listed as a past Carnival Corporation passenger.

But don't get your hopes up that your status will get you much. You should be credited as a 1* Mariner, but with 0 days sailed. Your days sailed is only credited on HAL ships for purposes of most perqs.

You should qualify to have embarkation lunch in the dining room, and should be issued an invitation to the Mariners' Brunch, and get the tile. That's about it for perqs due you.

Thanks Ruth. I suppose I could call Holland America. I just didn't want to sign up for a new Mariner Number and then find out I needed to do something with my Carnival number first.

And yes, I realize it isn't much for perks, but hey, it's nice having the title. :)

Create an account on the HAL site, which will allow you to book excursions, etc. When you 'go to your account', if they have you as a CCL past cruiser you will see one 'star' atop the symbol for the Mariners. If it isn't there you can contact the Mariner Society via email and they will get it taken care of.

HA continues to offer their frequent cruisers one of the worst set of perks in the entire industry. Even as 4 star Mariners we get little to crow about (although free laundry is nice on long cruises). If perks matter then one should cruise Celebrity.

Hank

I had sailed on Princess prior to my first HAL cruise. I called customer service at HAL, and they credited me as a one star mariner. That was enough to get an invite to the MDR upon embarkation. I was happy with that.

As an aside, we did spend enough on our first cruise to come very close to making two star mariner. I like that on-board spending counts toward your days credit.:)

If you have sailed with any of the Carnival Family of Ships (Costa, Cunard, Princess, Carnival, Seabourn and HAL), you get benefit of any repeater discounts on all the lines but the days you accumulated on other cruise lines only credit to your repeater program on that cruise line.

You will have a Mariner number and will be eligible for embarkation lunch in MDR but the days earned on other cruise lines, stay only on that cruise line.

I called HAL and gave them the spill about having cruised with Carnival many times and asked since they were a sister ship if it would account for anything on HAL as far as the Mariner Society, I was quickly told "NO" sorry...:( oh well...

All the HAL days that I had counted for a big zip when I sailed with Carnival.

Even though HAL and Carnival are under CCL, they are different operations.

That said… on my last cruise I sailed with Mariner status, and a friend wanted to sail with me. When I spoke to the HAL Rep about their rates, etc., he asked me their name and because they were Carnival past passengers he accessed all of their information and they were able to get the same rates, invitations, etc.

The days sailed only count toward the days sailed with each line, but other than that they benefited, and I thought it was a good, fair deal. We all were very happy and had a good time.

Just my 2 cents… Don't worry about the days sailed credits, etc., in the end it doesn't add up to too much anyway. But it helped our cruise experience, and I'm sure it will you too. Just give them your info and be happy with what you get, even if all it does is help you book more easily. As long as it gets you on board and at sea!

Goto the HAL website and pretend to book a cruise. When you get to the point where they ask for your Mariner number, check for them to look it up. You will probably find you already have one. I started to get HAL mailings with a Mariner # after my second Carnival cruise, in 2007. I didn't sail HAL until 2009. When I booked our Nieuw Amsterdam cruise for 2012, it was the first HAL cruise for my sister, but she already had Mariner #, either from her one Carnival cruise, or our Princess and Cunard cruises. EM

• 4 years later...

We sail only on HAL so have no idea what perks the other lines offer. However, I have to say that we are happy with the perks given to 4* Mariners. Priority boarding is nice, as is priority tendering.

50% off at the specialty restaurants is a nice perk when we sail on ships with the Tamarind. That means a discount on the Pinnacle Grill, Canaletto and Tarmarind.

50% off on specialty coffees is appreciated, too.

Our favorite perk is the FREE LAUNDRY. Yes, it only costs $49 per week for unlimited laundry outside of Europe, but it's great to pack less and pay less!

We are not drinkers, so we do not take advantage of 50% off on wine packages, but know many who do.

We'd happily take more perks, but enjoy what we do get! As for sailing other lines with better reward programs, we like the product HAL offers, so we stay put.

Compared with RCCL and Celebrity/ Azamara, the perks are indeed pitifull. Elite on X gives you free daily drinks, laundry, internet etc.

All HAL gives you are reductions on additional fee items we are not interested in anyhow, like speciality restaurants and overpriced wines.

• 5 years later...

rccl give a diamond plus 4 free drinks a day regardless of time of day, celebrity give elite status 3 free drinks a day after 5pm to 7pm only, and NOT on embarkation day. rccl has the best perks across the board. they transfer status not days. diamond plus equals elite.

1 hour ago, drewski1 said:

rccl give a diamond plus 4 free drinks a day regardless of time of day, celebrity give elite status 3 free drinks a day after 5pm to 7pm only, and NOT on embarkation day. rccl has the best perks across the board. they transfer status not days. diamond plus equals elite.

Boy you must have gone to a lot of work to bump a 5 year old thread.  😂  There are more up to date ones to discuss on 😉 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

On 5/13/2018 at 11:37 PM, ithaca gal said:

We'd happily take more perks, but enjoy what we do get! As for sailing other lines with better reward programs, we like the product HAL offers, so we stay put.

I echo your comment. I liken HAL to a Buick. It's not a Beemer or a Merc or a Lexus or even a Cadillac, but Buick suits DW & me just fine.

• Thanks 1

It's always surprised me that whatever status one builds up on HAL doesn't count for anything (ok, let's say virtually nothing) on HAL's "sister" lines. I understand that each line's program is different, but wouldn't you think that the marketing folks and the bean counters would get together and figure out a way each line's loyalty program could complement the others'?

3 hours ago, kazu said:

Boy you must have gone to a lot of work to bump a 5 year old thread.  😂  There are more up to date ones to discuss on 😉 

A 10-year old thread. It started in November 2013. The last post prior to the current bump was 5 years ago. 
But who's counting. 

• Haha 3