Vouchers are here to stay

cruising teacher

Your daughter will have exactly the same benefits and access as you. We had the same situation with my husband: I was Elite and it was his first cruise. He got coupons for Internet, laundry, and had access to Elite happy hour and breakfast.

Thank you. I thought I had read this somewhere but couldn't locate it. I will keep my fingers crossed that they do not change this procedure prior to our sailing.

Your daughter will have exactly the same benefits and access as you. We had the same situation with my husband: I was Elite and it was his first cruise. He got coupons for Internet, laundry, and had access to Elite happy hour and breakfast.

Thank you. I thought I had read this somewhere but couldn't locate it. I will keep my fingers crossed that they do not change this procedure prior to our sailing.

Does your daughter have share the same family household thus has the same address as yourself? If so then she gets Elite status with all it's benefits as a result of you having that status as that can be passed on to all family member in the same household. IMO that is what happened with Trouble T's sponse. I believe you will need to call the Capt's Club to have her signed up as Elite before your cruise so that she will be have that status on your cruise.

Odd to see that they wouldn't allow you to get a can of soda? (someone mentioned they weren't giving a full can on the infinity?). Soda is worth much less than 8.00.

I thought it was odd too, but that's what they were doing. We were only able to get full cans the first two days. They were doing a lot of funky things on the Infinity.

My opinion:

If they want to make this a REAL perk they should offer the vouchers to be used at ANY BAR at ANY TIME. Many folks don't find the hours specified on the vouchers convenient. For us the vouchers go unused becasue they are generally valid only during the time we are dressing and getting ready for dinner.

Takes you 3 hours to get ready for dinner?:confused: :)

Edited by Christine Frances

If they have the voucher program on Summit when we are there, are I will do what someone else did. We already have the Classic Pkg for free, so I will just ask for unopened beer with my vouchers to take back to the cabin to have later and use my free bev pkg for drinks in the lounge.

I thought it was odd too, but that's what they were doing. We were only able to get full cans the first two days. They were doing a lot of funky things on the Infinity.

That's very odd Linda. If they are offering vouchers on our Eclipse sailing, I sure hope they are not doing the same. I will be sure to report my observations on my Live From thread. Rumor has it they are not offering vouchers on this sailing, though I've been unable (so far) to obtain confirmation.

My opinion:

If they want to make this a REAL perk they should offer the vouchers to be used at ANY BAR at ANY TIME. Many folks don't find the hours specified on the vouchers convenient. For us the vouchers go unused becasue they are generally valid only during the time we are dressing and getting ready for dinner.

Celebrity would not want to cannabilize their own revenue from drinks outside those voucher hours. From a revenue perspective, they would be silly to.

My last cruise was in Feb. on Summit. The next one is this Jan. on Silhouette, so maybe there will be vouchers. However, I don't drink much and neither do my friends. My cabinmate is eligible to go with me, but not the others. I may just play it by ear and see what the situation is.

I usually order one mixed drink at dinner and so does my SIL. Occasionally I'll get something at poolside. I do get drinks when they are free at Captain's Club functions, but have learned the hard way to beware the white sangria. The waiters kept filling up my glass while I was talking and I didn't realize how much I'd had. :eek:

That's very odd Linda. If they are offering vouchers on our Eclipse sailing, I sure hope they are not doing the same. I will be sure to report my observations on my Live From thread. Rumor has it they are not offering vouchers on this sailing, though I've been unable (so far) to obtain confirmation.

If they are using vouchers on your cruise, they now notify you prior to the cruise. If you haven't had any emails from celebrity, you won't have vouchers.

There was still a lounge on Summit where hors d'oeuvres were served that was reserved for Elites- they just gave the tickets.

But I wanted to point out that as in my review, the staff made it politely clear that the vouchers have value. We had the drink package so the first week we just tossed them out, but we gave them to favourite staff members once we found out they had value to staff members. Definitely give them to someone if you don't wish to use them yourself.

I, for one, am not happy with the vouchers, and the restrictions that accompany them.

To restrict their time allotment to between 5 and 7 pm make them worthless to me, and I've told C&A so. To have free drinks 1 1/2 to 2 hours prior to dinner time is not optimal. I was also told by them that they cannot change the times they are valid. (X is the one making the up the rules so who else could change them??) Strange, if X wanted to make them a real benefit for those at the late MDR sitting, they would extend the time to at least 8 pm. Otherwise, this is just PR and not a real benefit. (RCI is able to offer this benefit between 5 to 8:30pm and it doesn't seem to be a problem for them??)

Just my take on it.

tnt

I, for one, am not happy with the vouchers, and the restrictions that accompany them.

To restrict their time allotment to between 5 and 7 pm make them worthless to me, and I've told C&A so. To have free drinks 1 1/2 to 2 hours prior to dinner time is not optimal. I was also told by them that they cannot change the times they are valid. (X is the one making the up the rules so who else could change them??) Strange, if X wanted to make them a real benefit for those at the late MDR sitting, they would extend the time to at least 8 pm. Otherwise, this is just PR and not a real benefit. (RCI is able to offer this benefit between 5 to 8:30pm and it doesn't seem to be a problem for them??)

Just my take on it.

tnt

Totally agree, ending the vouchers at 7:00pm makes them of limited use for late diners. Being a Diamond on RCCL, we enjoy a few drinks before dinner between 7:00 - 8:00pm.

Totally agree, ending the vouchers at 7:00pm makes them of limited use for late diners. Being a Diamond on RCCL, we enjoy a few drinks before dinner between 7:00 - 8:00pm.

As I recall, that is only house wine and a 25% reduction in the cost of a cocktail. Also, I believe that Diamond plus is better.

Talking about whining about something they are giving away :rolleyes:

If you do not like Celebrity system, go back to RCCL

It was drinks in a lounge from 5 to 7 , or vouches 5-7 that has not change

I would rather see them give Elites a 50% discount of the classic/ premium package as a perk

Just my take on it.

tnt

Sorry you feel that way, but the elite cocktail hour times have been in place for well over a year. If it were hurting their business, my guess is that they would have realized it by now and changed. If you prefer the total perk package on RCL, then you should certainly make your decision appropriately.

Edited by ghstudio

Actually on RCL - if the ship has a Diamond Lounge, you go get drinks and they are open longer for Happy Hour. A few of the older ones have not been retrofitted yet, but are scheduled to get the lounges when they go into dry dock. Also the hours are longer on RCL. However they are also trying vouchers on cruises with tons of Diamond and higher members.

We were on the Summit in September and had the vouchers and it worked well for us.

Sorry you feel that way, but the elite hour times have been in place for well over a year. If it were hurting their business, my guess is that they would have realized it by now and changed. If you prefer the total perk package on RCL, then you should certainly make your decision appropriately.

I understand what you are saying, and have been doing so as a rule. Just happens the cruise next year on X is a better fit than anything RCI has, (and the Millennium class PS are our favorites at sea).

My comment, if you will, is that X touts this as a wonderful perk for Elites and a reward for loyalty to X. And while it is to some, my guess is that the reason it has not hurt their bottom line is that not all the Elites find the HH times convenient, (and X realizes this, too late starting time for early diners, too early cut off time for late diners). If they were to expand the HH times, then it could be utilized by more cruisers, and considered a real perk for many more Elites, but would more likely than not affect their bottom line.

A balancing act for the cruise line to be sure.

Happy Cruising,

tnt

We have had many great evenings socializing at the Elite Cocktail parties and it was always a great venue to meet other cruise lovers and make new friends. Although the vouchers are a great benefit, we will still miss those daily social events.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

We have had many great evenings socializing at the Elite Cocktail parties and it was always a great venue to meet other cruise lovers and make new friends. Although the vouchers are a great benefit, we will still miss those daily social events.

Hank

So does that mean this is definitely in place for all cruises? I want the Elite event!

So does that mean this is definitely in place for all cruises? I want the Elite event!

Our post was reacting to other posts in this thread. We also hope it's not true as we are loyal patrons of the daily Elite parties. On our next X cruise (in 2 weeks) we have the drink package....but still would attend many of the daily cocktail parties to socialize.

Hank

We pay for the drinks package so it isn't the drink that entices us - it is meeting others and having a lovely chat etc. If it changes to vouchers I would be very disappointed as I can have a drink anywhere on the ship I want to with the drink package. Enjoy going to the Elite event in the evenings.