Space Ratio of our ships.

I wonder what our best space ratio ship is in Australian waters? I didn't realise how easy it was to work out. Dawn Princess came out at 38 so that's not too shabby. Voyager is 44.

Space ratio

DOES the size of a ship really matter and

how are they actually measured? As with

most things in life the importance of such

an issue is always personal.

A small boutique vessel providing an

intimate cruise experience is preferred by

some but for others, a large floating resort

with loads of activities is a better option.

Ships are measured by their Gross

Registered Tonnage or GRT. On one hand

you may think the GRT of any vessel is not

a factor when discussing options with your

clients however, read on.

The GRT is not actually the physical

weight of a ship - it indicates the total

enclosed volume.

Once you are armed with the GRT of

a ship, your next mission is to find the

passenger capacity. Capacity is measured

based on two persons in each cabin

despite the fact that a ship can actually

carry more passengers than what the

capacity indicates based on triple and

quad share cabins.

Once you have the GRT and the capacity

of a ship, you have the ability to really

show off to your clients by giving them the

passenger to space ratio of the ship they

are traveling on. The passenger to space

ratio is simply the GRT divided by the

passenger capacity.

For example, a ship with a GRT of

70,000 that can carry 2,000 guests has

a passenger to space ratio of 35. You

guessed it – the higher the number you

come up with, the more “elbow room” per

passenger on board.

As a general rule, a passenger to space

ratio of less than 10 is cramped, 10 to 20 is

still quite confined, 20 to 30 is OK, 30 to 50

is quite spacious and 50+ is the ultimate!

http://archive.traveldaily.com.au/tdarchive/CW/2013/Nov13/cw141113.pdf

Edited by silverwillow

I wonder what our best space ratio ship is in Australian waters? I didn't realise how easy it was to work out. Dawn Princess came out at 38 so that's not too shabby. Voyager is 44.

http://archive.traveldaily.com.au/tdarchive/CW/2013/Nov13/cw141113.pdf

I don't think the calculation used, based on 2 passengers per cabin, would necessarily be accurate on ships which have converted a higher number of cabins to four berth, than average.

You would need to know how many passengers were in each 4 berth cabin to obtain an accurate figure.

This in not unlike discussing/arguing about how many angels can dance on the head of a pin!!

The GRT is not actually the physical weight of a ship - it indicates the total

enclosed volume.

On all ships there are many areas containing "enclosed volume" which cannot be accessed by passengers. Some have more than others . eg That huge atrium "thingie" in Radiance traversing several decks, is not usable by passengers at all.

Barry

Right so the configuration of the ship also matters.

I believe so -- it isn't just a matter of dividing the GRT by passenger numbers and hence saying that ship A will feel more comfortable (space-wise) than ship B. Also, the way we use ship space is personal -- I just love the Dome on Pac Dawn -- but hardly ever use it (work that one out!! :) ) In practice, I am more of a "back of Deck 12 kind of man" -- behind the Buffet :) That's where my wife will find me if we get separated ( or if I can escape for long enough )

Barry

Got to be carful of ratios and tonnage. They are useful figures though.

Take ships like Crown, Emerald, Ruby and Caribbean Princess and Ventura and Azura. I would never sail on any of those ships again due to their excessive passenger capacity over the original Grand class. Just slap on an extra deck with 700+ more passengers and you get a 90's designed ships frame catering to over 3,300 passengers only designed for 2,600.

Take into consideration Celebrity Solstice class are larger than the Crown class Princess ships yet Princess carries more passengers. No prizes for working out which ships are more crowded there.

QM2 another ship. 150,000tons and 2,600 average passenger capacity. Compare that to the 138,000ton 3,100 passenger Voyager of the Seas class.

For a rough guide you can check out the ships on the KroozCams site. For each ship they have a ship facts section and that gives a space ratio.

http://www.kroooz-cams.com/

When Pacific Dawn and Jewel were first launched they had excellent space ratios.....then P&O refitted the twin cabins and turned them into Quads.:eek:

For a rough guide you can check out the ships on the KroozCams site. For each ship they have a ship facts section and that gives a space ratio.

http://www.kroooz-cams.com/

When Pacific Dawn and Jewel were first launched they had excellent space ratios.....then P&O refitted the twin cabins and turned them into Quads.:eek:

David I was on last cruise of Regal Princess, LA to Sydney in August/Sept 2007, we had carpenters on board from NZ working on the cabins before she was actually refitted in Singapore as Pacific Dawn. Regal Princess carried 1590 pax, no 4 berths. As Pacific Dawn she carries 2060 I believe, those 'friendly four' cabins making the number up. Trouble is the public areas, e.g. lounges, decks, showroom, MDR and buffet are impacted upon by those extra 400 odd pax.

Thanks for the link David. I remember once someone mentioning space ratios , I just nodded inferring understanding but my mind was blank. This post reminded me and I found the link very informative. Now to find someone next month on the Diamond and dazzle them with my space ratio knowledge ( and look for the blank expression on their faces)

All good information and points of view. Personally, the only times I ever feel crowded on board is when trying to get on or off the ship, port days especially (seems to always have queues) and occasionally at a buffet lunch.:D

Like joining the masses to get one's sticker for one's shorex or fighting for a drink at the Captains Cocktail parties of which we no longer attend, been there, done that, got the T shirt, LOL.

Edited by NSWP

Thanks for the link David. I remember once someone mentioning space ratios , I just nodded inferring understanding but my mind was blank. This post reminded me and I found the link very informative. Now to find someone next month on the Diamond and dazzle them with my space ratio knowledge ( and look for the blank expression on their faces)

Is this known as trainspotting, cruise style?

It is a bit misleading I think because, as Barry pointed out GRT (or GT as it is now termed) is the cubic capacity of enclosed space on board a ship and not it's weight.

Ships, like Voyager of the Seas as mentioned by the OP passenger space ratio looks artificially better than some other ships of a similar size due to the huge fully enclosed swimming pool and atrium. If this pool was unenclosed then it would not be included in the calculation but would still be available for passenger's usage.

Thus, ships with more open deck space are penalised in this system. You guys work out for yourself if this calculation is helpful but I am doubtful.

Like joining the masses to get one's sticker for one's shorex or fighting for a drink at the Captains Cocktail parties of which we no longer attend, been there, done that, got the T shirt, LOL.

Yes, these events are becoming more tedious with every cruise. :D