Fashion Jewellery

GrummanTiger

Hello, I was told that silver jewellery was a bad idea on a cruise.. So am I limited to either Gold or "Fun" jewellery???

Wear whatever jewelery you would like to wear. I leave my sentimental and expensive jewelery at home except for my engagement and wedding rings. I bring a mix of silver and costume jewelery mostly myself.

Is a male I will admit to wearing at least one necklace per day. Making it, is a hobby of mine, if gold matches what I am wearing, fine, if it does not, silver, will usually fill the void.

A quick tip, most jewellery can be washed in vodka, BUT NOT pearl. ammolite, and opal.

john

Don't wear it in salt water, which can include the pools.

Gold is impervious to most solvents, but silver is quite reactive. Silver can also be eroded by the chlorine in fresh water pools.

There have been random posting/urban legends of women getting earrings ripped off their ears, necklaces yanked off them, especially in the Caribbean ports…

:)Any self-respecting thief would prefer gold which traditionally runs about 50 times the price of silver.

There have been random posting/urban legends of women getting earrings ripped off their ears, necklaces yanked off them, especially in the Caribbean ports…

Too true. At most ports I wear a wedding band, and a $7.00 watch.

john

Let me add, very random. I have been to the Caribbean on many cruises and land vacations as DH has family on several islands. I have never had a problem. OP, if this is the reason for your concern, wear whatever you are comfortable not losing.

The reason I was asking is that I have purchased some VERY nice silver jewellery. When I was showing it off around where I work, I was told it was NOT A GOOD IDEA to wear silver around salt water.

I don't want to ruin it, but I only bought it for THE CRUISE. If it does get discoloured, can it be fixed??

Thanks for all the answers!! :)

The reason I was asking is that I have purchased some VERY nice silver jewellery. When I was showing it off around where I work, I was told it was NOT A GOOD IDEA to wear silver around salt water.

I don't want to ruin it, but I only bought it for THE CRUISE. If it does get discoloured, can it be fixed??

Thanks for all the answers!! :)

I wear mostly silver jewelry and have never had it discolor on a cruise. I don't typically wear it while swimming though.

Autocorrect responsible for most typos...

I wouldn't wear it in the ocean, obviously, otherwise I've never had any problems wearing silver near salt water. Remember that on many cruise lines the pools are salt water also.

I don't wear my expensive jewelry on shore for safety reasons, in many ports, and of course not when swimming.

Some mineral baths/hotsprings will immediately tarnish silver. Had that happen at a spa with a little silver ring I was wearing. It did eventually come back to it's normal silver color after a lot of polishing.

I always wear silver studs in my ears when I go out in the ocean - I've never had them tarnish/turn color.

I've always thought the "ripping the earrings" thing was urban legend. I've seen it repeated here on CC a few times…

The only person I've ever known first hand who had jewelry (almost) ripped off their person was a former neighbor. She and her husband were on one of the old Red Birds on the MTA 6 train. A guy reached through the open window and grabbed her gold necklace. Her husband then grabbed his wrist, and as the train began to move, a life or death game of chicken ensued. The thief finally let go of the necklace just before he would have run out of platform to run along, and my friend's husband reluctantly let go of his arm. The necklace remained intact around my very shaken friend. She didn't stop wearing it though.

That was right here in the good ole' US of A.

Edited by ducklite