Unable to access posters' previous posts/posting history....

elena7seas

There may be a thread on this somewhere, but sorry, I can't find it via the search function.

What has happened to the ability to see a poster's previous posts (posting history), by clicking on the poster's Cruise Critic name (beside the avatar). Has this function been deleted, or is there a new way to access it?

I haven't been able to access the posting history in over a week, and there have been other changes in the way this forum functions, including formatting your text when posting to a thread.

Are others experiencing this, or do I have something going on with my computer? I can't access some pages of Celebrity's website either, but I just assumed that was part of the same old, same old. I am running Explorer 11 and don't seem to be having any problems outside of Cruise Critic. I have emptied my cache, rebooted my system, and can't figure out what to do next.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Are you signed in....

No, you can't post if you're not signed in. I just logged out and tried it. I thought perhaps logging out and logging back in might clear some cookies I don't know about, but I still can't access any posts, not even my own previous posts.

I just tried it on your name and it works ok for me

Although isn't that a little bit like stalking

Stalking? I don't think so. :)

I use the feature primarily to check back on my previous posts, and any replies that came after. I also use it sometimes to find previous posts from some of our CC members, to see if an answer had been provided to a particular question that they had posted about earlier. I find it a very handy navigational tool and it saves me a lot of time scrolling back through a multitude of threads to locate a previous topic.

• Administrators

Hi Elena7seas:

Can I ask you if you've recently updated your browser and what exact browser and version you are using?

Thanks,

Laura

Elena, this has been happening to me for many months now.......

Laura, I had emailed you a long time ago about this....there have been

specific threads I know I started and was trying to find information

on one of them before my last cruise. I could not even pull it up when

clicking on "threads started".

I don't consider it stalking either..sometimes there is good information

someone posted about a specific topic....not sure why that would be

an issue if you know who posted the information and you want to find

it.

I don't consider it stalking either..sometimes there is good information

someone posted about a specific topic....not sure why that would be

an issue if you know who posted the information and you want to find

it.

Well,it looks like we have different opinions. Data protection is very important to many people. In some threads, for example roll calls people provide details about themselves, which actually should be seen only by those in the roll call. Now, I am learning in this thread that every body, could just have access to your data:( Maybe there should be something similar to facebook, in which every body indicates who shall have access to the posters history. It could be optional and maybe this is something the moderators could think about.

Well,it looks like we have different opinions. Data protection is very important to many people. In some threads, for example roll calls people provide details about themselves, which actually should be seen only by those in the roll call. Now, I am learning in this thread that every body, could just have access to your data:( Maybe there should be something similar to facebook, in which every body indicates who shall have access to the posters history. It could be optional and maybe this is something the moderators could think about.

Just like a lot of us (we all have different opinions about lots of things).

But I should be able to find a thread I started and that should not be

an issue for anyone. The system didn't allow me to even find that one.

As for FB....I don't use it.

I agree, why do you want to see other posters history?:confused:

Here's another example for you. During and following Host Andy's recent cruise aboard the Eclipse, which I'll be sailing on for the first time in February, he published a large number of posts on a thread full of other posts that were mostly questions to Andy or "thank you notes" which were of no direct interest to me. It was far quicker and easier for me to sort the wheat from the chaff by going to his history and having only his posts to read. There was also a specific question that I had asked, and I found the answer instantly rather than having to wade through page after page of a long thread.

Consider it like a book's index or reference pages, or the board's search function: just another tool to find information quickly and easily.

Have to disagree on this. What is posted here is not private data, it's a message board, that's all. I have searched on Google about certain aspects of cruising, & more often than not, links to posts on these boards are in the forefront of the responses. If you are concerned about privacy, you should not post on a public forum. Frankly, I don't see the harm, but that's just me.

Cruise Critic is an open and very public forum. You should never post any information here that you aren't comfortable with having the whole world know. Not only is the information available to any CC member, but a Google search will make it readily accessible to everyone on the internet. A search on my CC name and "Cruise Critic" returns 49 pages (!) of results in Google. Roll calls are handled a bit differently, but remember, anyone can sign up as a member of CC and access posts there.

Bottom line is that before you start posting any information on the Internet, you have got to know and understand the consequences. We spend a lot of time and effort now trying to make kids safe online and have them understand the potential pitfalls, but there are many adults who are relatively new users of the Internet who have never received the benefit of any training, which is very unfortunate.

Cruise Critic is an open and very public forum. You should never post any information here that you aren't comfortable with having the whole world know. Not only is the information available to any CC member, but a Google search will make it readily accessible to everyone on the internet. A search on my CC name and "Cruise Critic" returns 49 pages (!) of results in Google. Roll calls are handled a bit differently, but remember, anyone can sign up as a member of CC and access posts there.

Bottom line is that before you start posting any information on the Internet, you have got to know and understand the consequences. We spend a lot of time and effort now trying to make kids safe online and have them understand the potential pitfalls, but there are many adults who are relatively new users of the Internet who have never received the benefit of any training, which is very unfortunate.

Thank you for your post. You have very good points about the internet. I am aware of most of them but I am always learning. When we register at cruise critic, they ask us what info shall other cruise critic members have access to it about us. May be one of the categories can be "posts history"?or maybe there should be something like "who should see your posts history?" and answers like " everybody", only " friends" ," nobody without my consent".

Of course there are just ideas:)

I am running Explorer 11 and don't seem to be having any problems outside of Cruise Critic. I have emptied my cache, rebooted my system, and can't figure out what to do next.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Sorry, elena7seas, I got caught up in the side issue and never answered your initial question. A lot of people are experiencing problems with IE 11, but the fix is apparently quite simple: just go to the cog wheel in the top right of the browser and click "compatibility view settings" then add the CC, Celebrity or other websites giving you recent problems.

I take no credit for this fix, as I'm running Chrome on a Mac, but it has been mentioned on several other threads.

Good luck!

Edited by Fouremco

Thank you for your post. You have very good points about the internet. I am aware of most of them but I am always learning. When we register at cruise critic, they ask us what info shall other cruise critic members have access to it about us. May be one of the categories can be "posts history"?or maybe there should be something like "who should see your posts history?" and answers like " everybody", only " friends" ," nobody without my consent".

I always consider that everything I post on the Internet is in the public domain - indeed, is not the point of a message board to publicly share information? Thus, I never post any information I do not want to be made public - no personal email, no cabin number, no personal pictures, etc. Details about travel plans are relatively safe, in that you really would have to be very stawker-ish indeed to identify someone from the hundreds on a flight or hotel or thousands on a ship.

I will often check someone's posts when they are asking a question about flights to see what their travel dates are, so that any advice I give is as accurate as possible - easy to do if they've posted on their roll-call.

To the OP: working fine for me here on Internet Explorer.

There is a recent HAL thread that you might find interesting to read. Lots and lots of good security tips and suggestions, far broader than the thread title suggests. While I think that some might be a bit too much, it's always better to err on the side of caution.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1945874

There is a recent HAL thread that you might find interesting to read. Lots and lots of good security tips and suggestions, far broader than the thread title suggests. While I think that some might be a bit too much, it's always better to err on the side of caution.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1945874

Thanks once more. The thread was very informative!

Here's another example for you. During and following Host Andy's recent cruise aboard the Eclipse, which I'll be sailing on for the first time in February, he published a large number of posts on a thread full of other posts that were mostly questions to Andy or "thank you notes" which were of no direct interest to me. It was far quicker and easier for me to sort the wheat from the chaff by going to his history and having only his posts to read. There was also a specific question that I had asked, and I found the answer instantly rather than having to wade through page after page of a long thread.

Consider it like a book's index or reference pages, or the board's search function: just another tool to find information quickly and easily.

Excellent example on one of the reasons for researching past posts. I use this feature often, not to gain personal information on the poster, but rather the subject matter I'm currently researching.

With regard to my own posts, if I'm willing to share my thoughts/comments on a public forum such as this, why then would I have a problem if someone accesses this information at a later date and time?

Edited by BEAV
Spelling. Correcting "pubic" to read "public" !!!!

Excellent example on one of the reasons for researching past posts. I use this feature often, not to gain personal information on the poster, but rather the subject matter I'm currently researching.

With regard to my own posts, if I'm willing to share my thoughts/comments on a public forum such as this, why then would I have a problem if someone accesses this information at a later date and time?

Thank you Beav. You said it better than I did. I don't think stalking

has anything to do with finding a previous post in order to gain

information about a topic either.

Edited by Lois R

I agree! Once on the internet forever on the internet!