New Pinnacle Menu

frankc98376

Claudio better be careful or he'll be looking for a new job. If he worked for me he'd be gone the same day I heard about him saying this to a customer. :eek:

One of the things he mentioned was that he was a new hire, been there a month and he hadn't met his manager. He thought that was very odd. I don't blame him!

The upside for him was that he is a huge blues fan and spent his off time dancing at the jams as late as he could every day :)

Claudio better be careful or he'll be looking for a new job. If he worked for me he'd be gone the same day I heard about him saying this to a customer. :eek:

Ditto. Claudio needs more training...... at the least.

One of the things he mentioned was that he was a new hire, been there a month and he hadn't met his manager. He thought that was very odd. I don't blame him!

The upside for him was that he is a huge blues fan and spent his off time dancing at the jams as late as he could every day :)

Really? :confused: :eek: :rolleyes:

The point is he shouldn't be talking to the pax about his job, management, working conditions, what he thinks of HAL or anything of the kind. Sounds like he could use more training about professionalism on the job instead of dancing at the jams. Why was he telling you all of this?

The point is he shouldn't be talking to the pax about his job, management, working conditions, what he thinks of HAL or anything of the kind. Sounds like he could use more training about professionalism on the job instead of dancing at the jams. Why was he telling you all of this?

It came about as I told him I had noticed him dancing on deck the night before. Now please keep in mind that the blues cruise is a favourite of many HAL staff and crew. Some will ask specifically to be on the ship. On any given evening there can be 6 or 8 officers by the bar at the pool deck. All the entertainment staff is "off" for the week and they are out in full force to see the bands. Guys in maintenance and the engine room will come up to listen to the music. Most are dancing and drinking. In uniform. Having a great time.

So I asked if he had done the blues cruise before and did he ask to be on board. That is when he told all of us at the table about not meeting his manager, which he felt was strange as a new hire. He loved the blues cruise, as he was a huge fan. But the lrbc is a full charter with almost everybody in full party mode. There is a tremendous happy vibe on board. It is nothing like a snooze cruise. Claudio, and just about every staffer I spoke with acknowledged that our charter is hard work, but great fun. This week, it would be back to a regular cruise with lots of grumpy pax. Many crew/staff are happy to talk to myself and others on our cruise and unload a bit. I can't imagine any would say anything to regular pax, especially since some obviously would like to see them fired at a drop of a hat.

A few comments from a waiter was nothing like a very senior staffer told me a couple of days earlier. I won't mention what he said, as I know it would make some of the HAL regulars very upset. Even he was happy to unload a bit without anyone judging. I just thought he was very funny :)

Edited by sun~

Waiter in PG and hadn't met his Manager? I met the PG Manager every evening and most mornings at the PG door- he was great.

I have a feeling he will be meeting his Manager very soon

Edited by frankc98376

The Pinnacle and the Tammarind have always been one of the points of differentiation on HAL. Fortunately, they haven't messed with success with the Tammarind. Unfortnately, from the reviews, it sounds as if HAL has taken away the "experience" of a fine night out at the Pinnacle. We have never gone there just for the quality of the food. Instead, we go there for the service we don't get in the MDR or on land at local fine dining. When PG servers prepared Lobster Bisque, Steak Diane and Caesar Salad tableside, you knew you were in for an incredible evening. Now it sounds as if it's "just another restaurant"....We will be on board the end of the month. We have reservations for 6 nights at the Pinnacle and will share our dining critique, although right now, I look to our Pinnacle Grill evenings with intrepidation vs. anticipation.

Edited by boze9999

Waiter in PG and hadn't met his Manager? I met the PG Manager every evening and most mornings at the PG door- he was great.

I have a feeling he will be meeting his Manager very soon

We always see the PG manager nearly every morning at breakfast and always in the evening.

Claudio isn't long for HAL.

I asked my TA and this is what he sent me. You can see that caviar is added for additional cost and that several dishes are missing (i.e. Steak Diane) but some new ones are added.

THE BEGINNING

TOMATO BROTH WITH SPICY LEMONGRASS CHICKEN

with flavors of kaffir lime and cilantro

LOBSTER BISQUE

crème fraîche and aged cognac

SHRIMP COCKTAIL

brandy horseradish cocktail sauce

CAESAR SALAD

heart of romaine, grated parmesan cheese, garlic

croutons, anchovies and house-made dressing

BEEFSTEAK TOMATO AND BASIL

sliced red onion, pesto, extra virgin

olive oil and balsamic reduction

* STEAK TARTARE

seasoned finely-chopped Double R Ranch beef

accompanied with parsley, cornichon, capers and red onion

JUMBO-LUMP CRAB CAKES

sweet chili-mustard sauce

* OSCIETRA MALOSSOL CAVIAR $45

served on ice with crème fraîche and buckwheat blini

THE GRILL

DOUBLE R RANCH STEAKS

served with your choice of hand-crafted sauce:

sun-dried tomato ° master chef ’s green peppercorn ° béarnaise ° horseradish-mustard ° hollandaise ° maitre d’ garlic butter

* 7OZ. PETITE FILET MIGNON

* 10 OZ. FILET MIGNON

* 23 OZ. PORTERHOUSE

* 12 OZ NEW YORK STRIP STEAK

* 18 OZ. BONE-IN RIB EYE STEAK

* GRILLED COLORADO LAMB CHOPS

spiced apple chutney, fresh mint sauce

* DOUBLE-CUT KUROBUTA PORK CHOP

marinated in rosemary, garlic and pepper vinegar with scallions

ROASTED JIDORI CHICKEN WITH PORCINI MUSHROOMS

cider vinegar jus, forbiden rice cake with quinoa and apricot, mâche salad and toasted pistachio nuts

SEAFOOD

* BROILED ALASKAN KING SALMON

with lemon garlic herb splash

KING CRAB LEGS $20

your choice steamed or broiled served with drawn butter

* CEDAR PLANKED PACIFIC HALIBUT WITH SHRIMP SCAMPI

roasted garlic and cilantro butter

WEST COAST STYLE SEAFOOD CIOPPINO

tomato braised clams, mussels, shrimp, Alaskan crab and halibut

THE VEGETARIAN INTRIGUE

BAKED-STUFFED EGGPLANT

ragoût of zucchini, onion, eggplant and tomato on creamy polenta

WILD MUSHROOM RAVIOLI

in pesto cream sauce

ROASTED PUMPKIN RISOTTO

mascarpone cheese and Swiss chard

SHAREABLE SIDES

wilted spinach - sautéed mushrooms - baby carrots - grilled asparagus

Brussels sprouts with Parmesan and pancetta - classic whipped potatoes - shoestring fries with truffle aïoli

INDIVIDUAL SIDE

jumbo baked Idaho potato

Holland America Line only serves sustainable seafood

THE FINALE

NOT-SO-CLASSIC BAKED ALASKA

Ben and Jerry’s Cherry Garcia ice cream with Bing cherries jubilee

WARM GRAND MARNIER CHOCOLATE VOLCANO CAKE

the ultimate chocolate experience

PINNACLE SOUFFLÉ

vanilla soufflé with base of mixed berry compote and finished with molten Drambuie cream truffle

LEMON-BRÛLÉE TART

blueberry whipped cream

CREAMY HOMEMADE RASPBERRY CHEESECAKE

served with fresh berries

FRESH BERRIES

with a Sabayon sauce

PREMIUM ICE CREAM AND SORBET

DAILY CHEESE PLATE

May we have your permission to post this on the halfacts.com website please?

We have had requests for the PG, Tamarind lunch & dinner menus & the Canaletto menu.

I had the Caesar salad on Saturday on the NA. It was nothing special. It was in a Parmesan formed bowl (kinda cool) but only a couple of small leaves of romaine lettuce with what tasted like bottled dressing on a bit of the lettuce. Marginally better than the crap Caesar salad that is served in the MDR. Not up to good restaurant quality though.

Th tomato soup with lemongrass and chicken is almost identical to the chicken pho soup in the Tamarind. Just a different colour. It was really good.

We were very disappointed with the food at the PG on Saturday. Service was ok. Claudio the waiter told us he had only been with HAL one month and wasn't that impressed with management.

I hope that no one from HAL management has read this comment! :eek:

<snip>

CAESAR SALAD

heart of romaine, grated parmesan cheese, garlic

croutons, anchovies and house-made dressing

<snip>

How can they describe caesar salad on the menu as quoted above and then serve what has been reported here? No one would expect to be served what they are now preparing and serving? Reactions must be very funny when people see what is brought to them. :eek:

How can they describe caesar salad on the menu as quoted above and then serve what has been reported here? No one would expect to be served what they are now preparing and serving? Reactions must be very funny when people see what is brought to them. :eek:

I imagine HAL would say you are getting those Caesar ingredients as stated on the menu, just a different presentation. It sounds like you are getting a lot less salad in a different unappealing form and that's what diners don't like, which I completely understand.

I imagine HAL would say you are getting those Caesar ingredients as stated on the menu, just a different presentation. It sounds like you are getting a lot less salad in a different unappealing form and that's what diners don't like, which I completely understand.

I didn't see any mention of anchiove or heart of romaine in what guests are now served. I read about a single romaine lettuce leaf and what tasted like bottled dressing? The menu mentions parmesan but doesn't indicate it isn't the shredded or shaved most would expect. It does not mention a small parmesan cup in which the single piece of lettuce sits. :confused:

IMO, anyone reading the menu description that has not been forewarned is going to be very surprised at what is served them and I think many of us here have the same impression. That is not the best way to please a guest. I have not read any enthusiasm for this version of salad.

Edited by sail7seas

I stand corrected Sail - the desserts aren't on that I can see. groan.

Thanks, Kazu.

The menu you posted above has the desserts.

I don't know about the one with the link provided.

Edited by sail7seas

I didn't see any mention of anchoive or heart of romaine in what guests are now served. I read about a single romaine lettuce leaf and what tasted like bottled dressing? The menu mentions parmesan but doesn't indicate it isn't the shredded or shaved most would expect. It does not mention a small parmesan cup in which the single piece of lettuce sits. :confused:

IMO, anyone reading the menu description that has not been forewarned is going to be very surprised at what is served them and I think many of us here have the same impression. That is not the best way to please a guest. I have not read any enthusiasm for this version of salad.

I didn't say I would like Caesar served this way or that this new presentation is acceptable. Only meant that HAL would defend the menu and what was served, saying you got what the menu said- a heart of romaine leaf, 'grated' parm which is what the menu says, dressing (which I'm pretty they would say was made in-house and not bottled; poster thought it was bottled but didn't really know for sure), and a crouton- just as the menu states. Anchovies are usually optional as the diner wishes, so we don't really know if they were available or not if a pax wanted anchovies.

Edited by peaches from georgia

I didn't say I would like Caesar served this way or that this new presentation is acceptable. Only meant that HAL would defend the menu and what was served, saying you got what the menu said- a heart of romaine leaf, 'grated' parm which is what the menu says, dressing (which I'm pretty they would say was made in-house and not bottled; poster thought it was bottled but didn't really know for sure), and a crouton- just as the menu states. Anchovies are usually optional as the diner wishes, so we don't really know if they were available or not if a pax wanted anchovies.

If that was served to me, I would send it back.

That is not a caesar salad by anyone's definition.

It's a cutesy combination of some of the typical ingredients but it is not a caesar salad.

Once anyone at the table has to send back a course, the experience is lessened to varying degrees. It can be totally ruined depending how well or poorly it is handled.

I didn't see any mention of anchiove or heart of romaine in what guests are now served. I read about a single romaine lettuce leaf and what tasted like bottled dressing? The menu mentions parmesan but doesn't indicate it isn't the shredded or shaved most would expect. It does not mention a small parmesan cup in which the single piece of lettuce sits. :confused:

Sail, trust me I was shocked to get this, we were just starting to talk about the new menu when I left for our New Years cruise. I actually started laughing when they brought it to me and said.. Seriously this is the Salad :eek:

The other thing on the menu that is shocking is the "Sharable Sides"...they are all now about 1/4 of what they use to be and certainly not share able. That needs to be removed from the menu. Tom was served 5 very tiny Baby carrots with the leaves still on them. they were one bite each. I ordered the mushrooms and they were much smaller than in the past again about a one bite for each mushroom and there were 4 if I remember right. Then of course they never said the baked potato was to share but it was definitely a very small potato that Tom ordered. Nothing like they use to be in the Pinnacle :( I do not mind having the sides be smaller but don't put it on the menu they are sharable it is so misleading.

Every time I read about the recent changes to Pinnacle Grill I get disheartened. :( Dining at PG (and at Tamarind on the Signature-class ships) was our way of trying to create a quasi-Oceania dining experience on a HAL ship at a HAL price. Much of the time we could -- and did -- do that, but it sounds like that may not be the case in the future.

I haven't experienced the changes personally yet so am only going by what others have posted.

As I said previously we are going to have dinner in the PG our first night on May. If we aren't happy or disappointed we won't hesitate to ask the Concierge to credit us back the rest of the nights we pre-booked. I'm thinking we could get our Explore 4 Pinnacle changed to Canaletto- if not, oh well.

Edited by frankc98376

If that was served to me, I would send it back.

That is not a caesar salad by anyone's definition.

It's a cutesy combination of some of the typical ingredients but it is not a caesar salad.

Once anyone at the table has to send back a course, the experience is lessened to varying degrees. It can be totally ruined depending how well or poorly it is handled.

I wonder if you request in advance that it be prepared in the traditional manner, if they would do it? I am not asking for table-side preparation, they can do it back in the kitchen.

I wonder if you request in advance that it be prepared in the traditional manner, if they would do it? I am not asking for table-side preparation, they can do it back in the kitchen.

I tend to think likely no.

If they do it for one guest and others at neighboring tables see it, how many others would request this 'non-menu' item? Who would rather their cute little cup vs a real caesar salad? :D

But....... hopefully someone will request it and will let us know if they are successful.