New Pinnacle Menu

frankc98376

The PG has DEFINITELY gone downhill. I posted about this in my review of the Noordam (Jan. 6-17). Tableside Steak Dianne, caesars Salad, lobster Bisque, and Baked Alaska Flambe are no longer offered. This was what made the PG an intimate, special place. And while the steaks are still good, they are 40% of the entree items.

Also the extra price gouging by offering Alaska King crab Legs for a $20 surcharge or Caviar for a $45 surcharge is insulting. Such a shame.

The lobster bisque is on the new Pinnacle menu. I was very sad to see the steak Diane go and the tableside caesar salad. I didn't get a survey, I will probably email HAL. I did tell them at the Pinnacle. I sure lots of folks have been complaining.

The lobster bisque is on the new Pinnacle menu. I was very sad to see the steak Diane go and the tableside caesar salad. I didn't get a survey, I will probably email HAL. I did tell them at the Pinnacle. I sure lots of folks have been complaining.

End of cruise surveys are no longer distributed on the ship.

We receive them by e-mail a few days after we return home.

When did you sail on HAL?

The surveys were sent to us via e-mail a couple of days after we got home from our Nieuw Amsterdam cruise in November.

YEs, the Lobster Bisque is still on the menu but it is no longer served tableside. In the past , the waiter/waitress would wheel out the little cart with a bowl with a few lobster chunks in it; then he or she would take the carafe with the hot bisque, pour this into your bowl ( with a bit of a flair) and serve it to you with a smile and say " Here is your Lobster Bisque Sir. Enjoy!"

Does all this extra effort make for a better tasting lobster bisque? No....but it is what makes the PG special! Tableside preparation and serving of food is an art and the wait staff in the PG actually have to train and earn the position. And they did it well in the past. Makes for an enjoyable meal. Just sad it has disappeared. Also, lobster tails are off the menu although I am sure HAL/CArnival could be persuaded to add them back on the menu....for a surcharge on top of the surcharge of course!:D

YEs, the Lobster Bisque is still on the menu but it is no longer served tableside. In the past , the waiter/waitress would wheel out the little cart with a bowl with a few lobster chunks in it; then he or she would take the carafe with the hot bisque, pour this into your bowl ( with a bit of a flair) and serve it to you with a smile and say " Here is your Lobster Bisque Sir. Enjoy!"

Does all this extra effort make for a better tasting lobster bisque? No....but it is what makes the PG special! Tableside preparation and serving of food is an art and the wait staff in the PG actually have to train and earn the position. And they did it well in the past. Makes for an enjoyable meal. Just sad it has disappeared. Also, lobster tails are off the menu although I am sure HAL/CArnival could be persuaded to add them back on the menu....for a surcharge on top of the surcharge of course!:D

Tableside presentations take time. I wonder if they are reducing staff in the PG as a cost cutting measure?

Why not try the Pinnacle and see if you like the new menu?

You never know until you try it.

I agree.

Food is so subjective it would be a shame for people to not even try Pinnacle once for themselves to see if their tastes are satisfied. Just because someone writes here they didn't like something does not mean you won't. ;)

Tableside presentations take time. I wonder if they are reducing staff in the PG as a cost cutting measure?

From what I saw on the Westerdam, PG was not understaffed.

Particularly for the breakfast seating, there was much standing around doing little. Each of the stewards seemed to have a very specific task: i.e. pour coffee, pastry tray duty. take order, serve the food, etc. Did not result in better or friendly service, IMO.

When did you sail on HAL?

The surveys were sent to us via e-mail a couple of days after we got home from our Nieuw Amsterdam cruise in November.

January 19-26 2014, last week on the Nieuw Amsterdam on the legendary rhythm and blues cruise.

Still no survey yet.

The word FB for our group was mainly disappointed in

PG, one guy liked it. Certainly more sad faces than happy. Such a shame. We took our first time cruiser/ blues cruise virgin friends with us. I had hoped the food would have been up to the old standard. They definitely liked Tamarind better.

January 19-26 2014, last week on the Nieuw Amsterdam on the legendary rhythm and blues cruise.

Still no survey yet.

The word FB for our group was mainly disappointed in

PG, one guy liked it. Certainly more sad faces than happy. Such a shame. We took our first time cruiser/ blues cruise virgin friends with us. I had hoped the food would have been up to the old standard. They definitely liked Tamarind better.

Thank you

I wonder if people on Charters get the surveys -- just a thought.

Maybe you should call Ship Services and ask about this.

1-800-541-1576

We were on the Noordam Jan 6-Jan 27 cruise.The cruise was great,except the Pinnacle Grill.We booked the Pinnacle for five dinners before we left home.The first dinner,I ordered the 10 oz filet and my wife ordered the sirloin,we couldn't cut the meat.Maybe the steak knives were at fault..almost butter knives..5 small shrimp that were limp,baked potato half the size we are used to.I also got the crablegs,which were only $10 because we are 4 star..which were good......next dinner I got the lamb chops which were good,wife got the chicken,which was good....next dinner I tried the porterhouse,which again I could not cut and wife got the chicken which was under cooked...this time crab legs were not on the menu..limp shrimp cocktail,not chilled,small portion sides..cancelled the last 2 dinners.The manager,George,is not HAL material..staff was very good .If this was a restaurant on land,it would close within a month

Edited by fivechip

A new law does not permit tableside preparations any longer due to health risks. In December we dined at the PG on night 1 and they were still doing everything tableside, the next night, it all stopped. That's when we were told they had to follow the new ruling by the federal government.

Wow! This is surely not an encouragement to dine at the Pinacle on our upcoming February 17th three week sail on the Noordam... it has always been our pleasure to visit there at least three or four times on a voyage but it sounds very discouraging when some or all of our menu favourites seem to be disappearing. Perhaps they have now really gone too far in altering or eliminating some of the optional extra-pay pleasures of that dining room. Coupled with that extremely short-sighted, and frankly quite stupid approach to their new wine policy, perhaps it is truly time to look elsewhere for the spending of our travel dollar.

A new law does not permit tableside preparations any longer due to health risks. In December we dined at the PG on night 1 and they were still doing everything tableside, the next night, it all stopped. That's when we were told they had to follow the new ruling by the federal government.

Interesting.

This is the first time I have read of new government regs that bar cruise ships from tableside food preparation. NOT that I doubt your comment, as I don't. Wonder why it took so long for it to be mentioned.

Thanks for the information.

FWIW this is blatantly false/a lie. There is no such U.S. Federal law.

Now that is an interesting statement. Can you please provide a link to anything about this...such as a reference to this "new ruling."

Hank

Interesting.

This is the first time I have read of new government regs that bar cruise ships from tableside food preparation. NOT that I doubt your comment, as I don't. Wonder why it took so long for it to be mentioned.

Thanks for the information.

When the big Silversea mess happened with hiding food in crew quarters the news channels all pointed out the the US could only inspect and offer guidance. They could not force a foreign flag vessel to do anything.

From the CNN story about the failed inspection:

"According to the CDC final report, its inspectors poured chlorine liquid over the discarded food on board the Silver Shadow to prevent any of it from being re-used. Other than a promise to correct actions that led to the problems, the owners of the ship were not fined, nor was the ship stopped from proceeding on its scheduled trip along Alaska's Inland Passage to Juneau.

That's because the CDC has no authority to correct any of the issues. The CDC's Vessel Sanitation Program employs inspectors from the U.S. Public Health Service and, even though it's a considered a regulatory program, it only has the authority to ask the cruise line to correct its actions."

I've seen Flight Attendants use "FAA Regulations" many times to enforce something that I know for a fact is not prohibited by the FAA. I'm sure it's easier for a Pinnacle Manager to say that table side service is now illegal than to say that the company stopped it to save money. Most will not argue or be angry if they believe it is "law".

When the big Silversea mess happened with hiding food in crew quarters the news channels all pointed out the the US could only inspect and offer guidance. They could not force a foreign flag vessel to do anything.

From the CNN story about the failed inspection:

"According to the CDC final report, its inspectors poured chlorine liquid over the discarded food on board the Silver Shadow to prevent any of it from being re-used. Other than a promise to correct actions that led to the problems, the owners of the ship were not fined, nor was the ship stopped from proceeding on its scheduled trip along Alaska's Inland Passage to Juneau.

That's because the CDC has no authority to correct any of the issues. The CDC's Vessel Sanitation Program employs inspectors from the U.S. Public Health Service and, even though it's a considered a regulatory program, it only has the authority to ask the cruise line to correct its actions."

I've seen Flight Attendants use "FAA Regulations" many times to enforce something that I know for a fact is not prohibited by the FAA. I'm sure it's easier for a Pinnacle Manager to say that table side service is now illegal than to say that the company stopped it to save money. Most will not argue or be angry if they believe it is "law".

If a cable news station reported it, how would we question it's accuracy? :D :)

I had forgotten about the Silverseas thing until you just reminded us. :eek: What a short memory I seem to have these days. Sigh......

I have never heard of this law either.

We need some proof.

I wonder if that new law will effect the table preparation of meals in the US restaurant on the Celebrity Infinity. Probably will not get an answer here, but they prepared a great lobster meal at our table last June. Would be a real shame if it there is such a law, of course if there are real health issues I guess the law is necessary.

I wonder if that new law will effect the table preparation of meals in the US restaurant on the Celebrity Infinity. Probably will not get an answer here, but they prepared a great lobster meal at our table last June. Would be a real shame if it there is such a law, of course if there are real health issues I guess the law is necessary.

If you look up Murano on their site you see a picture of a waiter and a flambe pan table side. Good question to ask on their board though