Bonaire ? what to do there

We went snorkeling with Woodwind and it was one of the most well-run tours we have been on: http://www.woodwindbonaire.com/

We spent more time in the water than any other snorkel tour and it was quite informative. Good drinks, too!

The port area is very quaint and easily walkable with good restaurants/bars and shops. We were there in December and there was a fantastic craft market in the square right outside the port - not sure if it is there ordinarily or not.

We loved Bonaire and thought our time in port was much too short.

We went snorkeling with Woodwind and it was one of the most well-run tours we have been on: http://www.woodwindbonaire.com/

2nd vote for the Woodwind. One of the best tours ever been on anywher in the world. In the water close to two hours, very attentive staff, professional and personable crew, photographer took a ton of photos and the cd was only $25. Nice catamaran with a nice sail out to the reef and back, unimited beer/water/juice plus a lunch served... all for $50! Definitely a top value.

You have to book on-line, extremely easy and reliable. When I was planning my trip a few months in advance the captain hinlesf emailed me back to confirm things. I easily found the booth right in front of the pier as promised.

Can't say enough good things, a great excursion and we swam with a few turtles that just so happened to show up for us :D

Here are actual photos of my group and excursion from the CD I have. I am not the guy with the turtle but I do have a bunch of personal shots he took of me diving.

DSC05345.jpg.648d6471b3fa7f5ce834ae9613366361.jpg

DSCN9950.jpg.3a6cb783c41d8e807ccf3b7639bbe4d1.jpg

DSCN9981.jpg.838e5519526f23c440c0a3eb7480fa75.jpg

DSCN9993.jpg.3480e53173769eadcba16ac0b2b531d9.jpg

DSCN9996.jpg.7a552d3b5beec65dec79f0947b25f754.jpg

We were there back in 2010. only docked for 1/2 a day.

We had a good walkabout as others have said the port is small and quaint.

I searched for suggestions and the best one was for a snorkel just along from the dock. When we exit the gates turn left and carry on past the shops.

i think at the very end is a beach not very big though, we did not get that far. Before you get there you will come across several piers. We had read these are excellent snorkelling spots and i can agree they were the water was so clear and there were lots of fish. I'd love to show you some pictures but as our water case for our camera was in a suitcase that got delayed, we couldn't take any. When we got out of the water a local lady came over to talk to us. She said she swims there ever day the water was so nice. She also gave us a couple of shells she had just found, i still have them.

I do agree with another post you do need water shoes as the ground was quite sharp. My husband will agree to that as his shoes were in that suitcase with the water case and the half of our snorkel gear.

My other fav thing there was the Del Sol shop, i fell in love with the colour changing nail varnish from there.

Julia

Bonaire is a diving mecca, so you may want to try Discover Scuba if the ship offers it. You don't have to be licensed to do this. Since the beaches all around the island are part of a park, you can walk into the sea and coral anywhere and dive, best shore diving spot in the Caribbean. Be sure and look sharp whether you snorkel or dive, it's a great spot for Seahorses, but they are extremely hard to spot they are so good at disguising themselves. Look like coral branches. This is a desert island not a tropical island, very rocky with lots of cactus and thorny things. I could never get used to all the pencil cactus fencing people have around their houses...but it sure discourages burglary:D

Unless it has changed in 2 years...ABSOLUTELY NOTHING, unless you are big into diving and scuba. It is one of the best places to do that as the water is so beautiful and they have some amazing reefs (or so I have been told).

We sailed there on Princess a couple years ago and we were honestly only off the boat about 45 minutes TOTAL! You can tell they are working to try and get this port ready for cruise traffic, but it wasn't at that stage when we arrived. The shops were quite pitiful. The only thing we bought there was some sea salt scrubs for myself.

Last spring onboard at the buffet a worker bringing in food trays was coughing in what he thought was secret...so, without appearing to be nasty...how do we report a sick crew member? Or do we just let it pass?

Edited by TurtleL

lol There are a few other things to do if you rent scooters or a car, you can drive around the whole island in 30 minutes or so, but there are spots of interest like the flamingos, the donkeys and the iguanas. There are big salt ponds, I collected salt from those. If you snorkel, there are tarpon there that are practically pets...one was Charlie over at Dive Buddy diving. He follows you around like a big dog. They are so beautiful and they are big...6 ft!

There were lots of these:

15f3fhz.jpg But no beaches to speak of, all chunks of coral.

Edited by BecciBoo

The best snorkeling I have ever done - anywhere! the water is crystal clear as there is no natural run off. We also went to the craft market near the ship. I bought a beautiful handmade natural shell necklace and matching earrings. I wish our next cruise included Bonaire as a port of call. We will be going to Aruba and Curacao, but not Bonaire.:(

If you aren't into snorkeling or diving a short island tour may be nice to see the natural salt flats and flamingos. I don't think there is much else there.

Last spring onboard at the buffet a worker bringing in food trays was coughing in what he thought was secret...so, without appearing to be nasty...how do we report a sick crew member? Or do we just let it pass?

Maybe you should post this to a more appropriate thread? It has little to nothing to do with Bonaire.

If you take the ship's excursion, be sure to bring enough water for yourself because they only take you there and bring you back (that may have changed by now). They take you to an island called Klein Bonaire, which is across the bay, and the snorkeling or diving is spectacular. As you can probably tell, the private excursions are on top of many lists. You will probably find more information on the port pages. Klein Bonaire doesn't look like much of an island, but the water is amazing. Hope you have fun.:p

Edited by LarryL

When we went to Bonaire, we used Compass Bonaire. We had about 10 on the boat and they were very good. One of them was in the water with us the whole time. Took the hand of some of us to show us things. We had snacks and beverages, beer and soda.

If you take the ship's excursion, be sure to bring enough water for yourself because they only take you there and bring you back (that may have changed by now). They take you to an island called Klein Bonaire, which is across the bay, and the snorkeling or diving is spectacular. As you can probably tell, the private excursions are on top of many lists. You will probably find more information on the port pages. Klein Bonaire doesn't look like much of an island, but the water is amazing. Hope you have fun.:p

We took the water taxi over to Klein Bonaire, nothing but sand beach and bushes but the fish etc. was terrific. This was a diving trip not a cruise though. At the time no cruise ships stopped there but that Scientology ship, we kept saying "O there's Tom Cruise":D

Traveled with my sister who is not a snorkeler. We did a glass bottom boat to Klein Bonaire island. Saw so many fish and turtles. Never thought we would see so much without getting in the water! They were a young company just starting out and were located at the pier where we docked.