Honey Stung Chicken

Ladysilver

I don't understand why so many people love the Honey Stung Chicken. After reading about it several times on the RC threads, I was really excited about trying it. I finally did try it last week on our Navigator cruise. It was horrible. Reminded me of hospital or school food. A flat, breaded, pattie of processed meat. As I was eating some of it, all I could think about was "Are you kidding me?" Gross.........:p:p:p

I don't understand why so many people love the Honey Stung Chicken. After reading about it several times on the RC threads, I was really excited about trying it. I finally did try it last week on our Navigator cruise. It was horrible. Reminded me of hospital or school food. A flat, breaded, pattie of processed meat. As I was eating some of it, all I could think about was "Are you kidding me?" Gross.........:p:p:p

I agree - it was one of those things that I had to try on my RCL cruise last February based on so many people on these boards raving about it. I found it okay - not bad but not great.

I once read a review on the Carnival board from someone who regularly cruised Royal but was trying Carnival for a change. She gave "points" for each thing - one of them being embarkation lunch. On Carnival she had the fresh made Mongolian wok - she gave the point the Royal because "carnival didn't have honey stung chicken on the embarkation buffet". Sorry, but I'd take Mongolian wok anyday over that chicken patty!

And it was also on the room service menu so technically, you can get it any day you want on the cruise.

Much of the attraction of Honey Stung Chicken is the fact that it's only served on embarkation day, so it means the cruise is just starting.

Exactly. I don't see it as anything more than that. It's a symbol your cruise has started. :)

Its ok. What I really miss are the chicken drumettes that use to be available through room service. A few plates of those really hit the spot while relaxing on my balcony after a night of partying!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

It reminded me of frozen food appetizers you'd make out of a bag for watching a football game, or vaguely like something you'd find on a cheap Asian buffet; fried chicken with kind of a gloppy sauce. It was certainly not worth the hype around it. But if it gets people into "I'm on a cruise" mindset that's cool with me.

To me it is a tradition and means my cruise has officially begun. Is it the best food I ever ate, no, but it can be quite tasty. To the OP, everyone has different tastes and just because you do not like something does not mean that everyone else shares your opinion. There are so many things to eat on the ship and because you do not like the Honey Stung Chicken means there is more for the rest of us who like it.

I hated it too.. even after adjusting my expectations when the recipe 'changed'

To me it is a tradition and means my cruise has officially begun. Is it the best food I ever ate, no, but it can be quite tasty. To the OP, everyone has different tastes and just because you do not like something does not mean that everyone else shares your opinion. There are so many things to eat on the ship and because you do not like the Honey Stung Chicken means there is more for the rest of us who like it.

You're welcome to it! :D

The honey stung chicken can vary greatly. The majority of the time it is cooked to perfection... juicy white meat nicely breaded.

However, it can be overcooked or sitting out to long, in which case it loses its tastiness.

Exactly right, that's why I always take 2 pieces.

I agree! The CCL Mongolian Wok is very good!

The CCL Mongolian Wok is just a fancy term for regular Chinese stir fry. You don't get to pick your choice of seasonings and sauces like you would in a restaurant that specializes in Mongolian cuisine; and the meats and veggies were limited. Plus, the food was cooked in a wok, not on top of an "authentic" Mongolian grill. IMHO, the CCL version didn't even come close!

The CCL Mongolian Wok is just a fancy term for regular Chinese stir fry. You don't get to pick your choice of seasonings and sauces like you would in a restaurant that specializes in Mongolian cuisine; and the meats and veggies were limited. Plus, the food was cooked in a wok, not on top of an "authentic" Mongolian grill. IMHO, the CCL version didn't even come close!

Interesting, since I had a choice of sauces on my last CCL cruise...

If you're expecting authentic Mongolian cuisine at the Lido Buffett you're probably setting yourself up for disappointment. IMHO it is very enjoyable and the perpetually long lines seem to suggest others agree.

It reminds me of the Grimm Fairytale " The Emperor's New Clothes"...Thanks for being that little kid......:)