american express

leonardray

if I am getting free internet and gratuities why should I use my platinum amex

• $300 per stateroom shipboard credit, or two-category upgrade (depending on ship, category booked and availability)

• Additional exclusive amenities unique to each cruise line
  • 1 extra Membership Rewards® point on each dollar you spend per booking

Depends on how you want to use your MR points - hopefully not for Sky Pesos :D

I've given up on my Amex Plat (especially as it won't get me into AA AC after next March) - I have no use for either Delta or BA.

YMMV

Amex is starting their own chain of airport lounges. This may make Platinum even better than lounges that are going missing.

http://thecenturionlounge.com/

There are only two so far but haven't had the opportunity to visit one yet. A high school classmate of mine (CIA Grad) is the executive chef at the DFW location, so hoping to have the opportunity to stop in.

We'll be changing at DFW for out-bound and in-bound Boston-Seattle flights in July. Since we will not be able to get into the Admirals Club, we might try the Centurion Lounge (looks and sounds great). Only draw back is that I believe it is in Terminal D.

One other thing to consider is that the annual $200 airline fee reimbursement covers daily Airline Club passes. I am not sure that the arrangement might cover the Admirals Club, however.

I think I got a brochure. We have a Centurion card and I have been seriously thinking of cancelling it as the airlines don't want to upgrade to First, so we just buy it, and it has only worked in a couple of hotels for a better room. The $2,500 fee just doesn't cut it.

I was in the Dallas Amex Lounge last month and it's worth taking the sky train no matter what terminal you're in. Best lounge I've been in save for First Class Cathay Pacific, Virgin and Lufthansa.

Also you Priority Pass with access to lounges all over, $200 airline credit each year, free global entry, etc so there are lots of benefits that make thaw card worth it to me.

We stumbled upon the Centurian lounge in Las Vegas... makes the Delta lounge look like a bus station waiting room. Good healthy food, great wine, COCKTAILS developed by a mixologist, great chairs, bed-like lounges for a nap. We had about 3 hours to kill - I didn't want to leave to board the plane!

Except when you get free gratuities, etc from the ship, you don't get the America Express goodie---my understanding is you don't get both. I don't really understand why and you should get both but you won't.

Rick

It cannot be combined with a group promotion - it is one or the other - but we did receive it along with the offer we booked which included gratuities.

Considering that these "Amex" lounges are only (currently) at DFW and LAS (never fly to LAS) - this alone would not make me keep this card.

The OBC is usually a "problem" for one reason or another and I have little use for MR points. Just cannot justify the annual fee.

Currently I am very happy with a combination of Sapphire, MP Explorer and SPG cards.

As always, YMMV

Edited by Paulchili

I am getting the free internet and prepaid gratuities from Oceania, AND the $300 OBC and wine tasting from Amex for using my platinum card. At least, that's what my contract says...

Mine too :)

I am getting the free internet and prepaid gratuities from Oceania, AND the $300 OBC and wine tasting from Amex for using my platinum card. At least, that's what my contract says...

I believe that the policy is that one cannot duplicate promotional benefits coming from Amex and the Cruise Line.

So, for example, Amex OBC's are not combine-able with promotional OBC's.

Edited by JimandStan

I believe that the policy is that one cannot duplicate promotional benefits coming from Amex and the Cruise Line.

So, for example, Amex OBC's are not combine-able with promotional OBC's.

Benefits also vary from cruise line to cruise line.

For example, on Princess you have to book above balcony to get Amex OBC.

Edited by Paulchili

Benefits also vary from cruise line to cruise line.

For example, on Princess you have to book above balcony to get Amex OBC.

And on Celebrity you can't combine anything with any other diddly thing. Which I why I'm monitoring the Oceania forum more than Celebrity...

I was in the Dallas Amex Lounge last month and it's worth taking the sky train no matter what terminal you're in. Best lounge I've been in save for First Class Cathay Pacific, Virgin and Lufthansa.

Also you Priority Pass with access to lounges all over, $200 airline credit each year, free global entry, etc so there are lots of benefits that make thaw card worth it to me.

I have Platium AE and Priority Plus only gets one in, the other costs $27, unless I want to pay another $450 for hubby.

I have Platium AE and Priority Plus only gets one in, the other costs $27, unless I want to pay another $450 for hubby.

You're right, the PP on AMEX Plt is an individual benefit and any guests cost extra. But you don't need a new, separate, Platinum account for DH.

You can get an additional (second) card in his name, on the same Platinum AMEX account, for $175. Then you can get another Priority Pass membership for him with that second card (this works for additional Platinum cards, not additional Gold cards).