Status of "requested $5.00 gratuity" for suite passengers dining in Blu

Waterlily777

We are in an ss1 on March 2nd for Silhouette with Select Dining in MDR. We will try out Blu for 5 bucks each. I am not counting on being in there every night and it doesn't sound like I would want to be.

Wait till you try it. ;):D

Does the MDR have Escargot and French Onion Soup as an every night offering? They were great fallback appetizer options, they were both terrific. It is the first time that I have ever had Onion Soup that tasted as good as it did in France.

We just got off the Connie today and were told very clearly upon arrival at the host stand that dinner in Blu, as a non AQ suite suite guest, would be a $5 fee per person. We did have to go have a drink in Cellar Masters for 20 minutes one night to wait for a table. Our experience, on the Connie, as a non AQ suite guests was before 7:30pm and after 8:30pm getting seated in Blu was no issue. We never had to wait for a table at breakfast.

Well worth it. Our food in Blu was way better than the $35 a person Tuscan Grille.

Unfortunately, the only meal we ate in the MDR was our last night. Is a 1/4" thick rib-eye actually still a steak or is it luncheon meat at that point? Even my wife, who hasn't eat red meat in over three decades, was laughing at how ridiculous it looked.

Edited by Pecs ado rojo

On Eclipse in sky suite, and we were asked for a gratuity of $5 at the end of dinner. We pointed out that all our gratuities had been pre paid as we were select dining. We paid up, and we were then were told we needed to have our tips moved to Blu. We wanted more flexibility to eat in the dining room if we wanted as it was a hassle to eat in Blu. We couldnt be guaranteed a table, we often had to wait for a table at the desk whilst aqua guests just walked in.

It seemed to me that suite guests who pay a lot for their vacation were treated a little like 2nd class citizens. I think Celebrity needs to adjust the policy on this issue.

I find it interesting that Celebrity waited until the end of the meal to inform the quests there was a $5 per person gratuity.

So if I am in the Penthouse and have paid $1000 per person per day I have to pay an extra $5 to eat in Blu? I am sorry but I find that ABSURD.

Wait till you try it. ;):D

I may like it, true...or I may not. I know there are several veteran Celebrity cruisers on this board that don't care for it, like Bighaired Texan.

My point is that I don't plan on getting bent out of shape about it one way or the other. I'll look at Blu as if it were a specialty restaurant like Bistro on 5 (as far as any charge associated with it).

I think the complication, as far as the cruise line is concerned, is the allocation of tips. Suite passengers are not guaranteed access to dinner at Blu, so their tips are allocated to the MDR. To me, it seems like there should be some simple way of having the allocated tips follow the passenger via the cabin card, but who knows what else is involved.

Bottom line is that there is a specified group of people who have paid for AQ benefits, and there is limited space in the Blu dining room...so those who have paid for it (AQ) get seated first. That part makes sense.

Are the specialty restaurants and Bistro on Five free for suite guests?

I did warn you Tony.

Actually ALL suite guests get one or two free specialty restaurant visits for free depending on the length of the cruise.

Maybe they should add a free Blu visit so suite guests can "try before they buy".

I find it interesting that Celebrity waited until the end of the meal to inform the quests there was a $5 per person gratuity.

So if I am in the Penthouse and have paid $1000 per person per day I have to pay an extra $5 to eat in Blu? I am sorry but I find that ABSURD.

Blu is set up as a restaurant exclusive for Aqua Class passengers. Those in suites can dine there for $5 if space is available. It has nothing to do with how much a person paid for their cabin. How is that absurd?

Monica

Bottom line is that there is a specified group of people who have paid for AQ benefits, and there is limited space in the Blu dining room...so those who have paid for it (AQ) get seated first. That part makes sense.

Unfortunately there were a few times where my friends and I (in Aqua Class) waited longer than usual for a table in Blu. We found out later that the suite guests were being seated when they arrived. Yes, I'm sure there were a few empty seats, but when there are just a few left, they should remain empty so those of us in AQ don't have to wait. I see no problem seating a suite guest if Blu is wide open. One time we waited 45 minutes.

Monica

The issue that I believe exists with passengers not assigned to Blu but who take advantage of dining in Blu is that the gratuities are assigned to the MDR.

Originally suite passengers were required to pay the $5 cover charge but then general practice ignored the fee.

On Constellation recently, a passenger in a suite commented to us that they were given a chit to sign for the $5 fee.

I went to Guest relations afterwards and asked about the fee and I was told that yes, it was the official policy. I followed up with a question to the Maitre'd and he said that no, there is not a cover charge. :confused:

I still do not know that when a cabin number is given and entered at the entrance to Blu, whether a gratuity is then assigned for the staff in Blu and removed from the MDR.

My guess is that suite guests who are served in Blu do not pay the wait staff for their service unless they are tipped separately, their automatic gratuity still assigned to the MDR waiter for their assigned table.

I would appreciate any post from someone who has received a clear response about automatic tips being assigned to Blu if they are in a suite.

The issue that I believe exists with passengers not assigned to Blu but who take advantage of dining in Blu is that the gratuities are assigned to the MDR.

Originally suite passengers were required to pay the $5 cover charge but then general practice ignored the fee.

On Constellation recently, a passenger in a suite commented to us that they were given a chit to sign for the $5 fee.

I went to Guest relations afterwards and asked about the fee and I was told that yes, it was the official policy. I followed up with a question to the Maitre'd and he said that no, there is not a cover charge. :confused:

I still do not know that when a cabin number is given and entered at the entrance to Blu, whether a gratuity is then assigned for the staff in Blu and removed from the MDR.

My guess is that suite guests who are served in Blu do not pay the wait staff for their service unless they are tipped separately, their automatic gratuity still assigned to the MDR waiter for their assigned table.

I would appreciate any post from someone who has received a clear response about automatic tips being assigned to Blu if they are in a suite.

One RM and 2 Maitre 'ds told me that about a year ago Celebrity changed the system for allocating tips. Under the old system tips were assigned for the cruise to either the MDR or Blu depending where you were assigned. The change enabled Celebrity to assign tips on a daily basis depending where one dined. I was in a Suite for a cruiseabout the time of the change and wanted to switch to Blu. The Maitre 'd told me that my pre paid gratuties could be shifted to Blu.No problem doing that. No doubt there remains confusion from ship to ship and Maitre 'd to Maitre 'd on the policy resulting in consistent inconsistency.

There is no "issue"....there is a policy..irrespective of what you think it should be and/or why. Celebrity should just be consistent instead of this ridiculous "ships can do what they like" situation. Either charge everyone in suites the $5 or don't charge anyone....clearly a lack of senior management actually managing customer experience...

... we often had to wait for a table at the desk whilst aqua guests just walked in.

It seemed to me that suite guests who pay a lot for their vacation were treated a little like 2nd class citizens. I think Celebrity needs to adjust the policy on this issue.

Blu is a perk for Aqua Class guests; it is their assigned restaurant. Sorry, if you felt treated like a 2nd class citizen because of that :rolleyes:

Blu is a perk for Aqua Class guests; it is their assigned restaurant. Sorry, if you felt treated like a 2nd class citizen because of that :rolleyes:

The problem here is not whether or not AQ passengers believe Suite passengers should or shouldn't have access to Blu; that's already been established by Celebrity since day one. The issue is the inconsistency of whether the $5 fee still exists or has been eliminated.

The problem here is not whether or not AQ passengers believe Suite passengers should or shouldn't have access to Blu; that's already been established by Celebrity since day one. The issue is the inconsistency of whether the $5 fee still exists or has been eliminated.

Point taken; however, I was responding to this particular poster's comment that as suite guests they couldn't be guaranteed a table in Blu while Aqua Class guests "just walked in."

I agree 100% that Celebrity should either stick with the $5 fee or disband it.

What I don't get is all the hubbub over $10 a meal for a couple, that can afford a suite to begin with, for a much better dining experience. That would be a single glass of wine for one of us in a restaurant back home.

While the host stand made it clear it was $5 charge our butler did say the fee was optional. I can see the need for Celebrity to clarify the rules on multiple levels.

Having stayed in the Penthouse on 2 occasions, I understand BLU is not intended for me, it's for Aqua. I find it nice that they will try to accommodate me if there is room, and have no issue paying the $5 cover/gratuity (do we know if it is cover charge or gratuity for sure? either way...) any more than paying $5 in Bistro or $45 for Tuscan or whatever.

I don't think that staying in the penthouse means "I own the ship anything I want is mine".

What I don't get is all the hubbub over $10 a meal for a couple, that can afford a suite to begin with, for a much better dining experience. That would be a single glass of wine for one of us in a restaurant back home.

While the host stand made it clear it was $5 charge our butler did say the fee was optional. I can see the need for Celebrity to clarify the rules on multiple levels.

Good reason why the staff don't always enforce it. Why get all the grief that would obviously come for 10 dollars?

Having stayed in the Penthouse on 2 occasions, I understand BLU is not intended for me, it's for Aqua. I find it nice that they will try to accommodate me if there is room, and have no issue paying the $5 cover/gratuity (do we know if it is cover charge or gratuity for sure? either way...) any more than paying $5 in Bistro or $45 for Tuscan or whatever.

I don't think that staying in the penthouse means "I own the ship anything I want is mine".

You won't get anywhere with an attitude like that. Next thing you know the Maitre d' won't want to charge you 10 dollars.

On Eclipse in sky suite, and we were asked for a gratuity of $5 at the end of dinner. We pointed out that all our gratuities had been pre paid as we were select dining. We paid up, and we were then were told we needed to have our tips moved to Blu. We wanted more flexibility to eat in the dining room if we wanted as it was a hassle to eat in Blu. We couldnt be guaranteed a table, we often had to wait for a table at the desk whilst aqua guests just walked in.

Ack! Enough with the Blu Envy.

We paid for Aqua Class, and we are entitled to be seated first. We earned that right! If suite passengers continue to overcrowd Blu, we must howl in protest until the policy is changed, perhaps capriciously, mid-cruise.

Please. Stand aside and let us Aqua-leets pass, noses in the air.

Actually ALL suite guests get one or two free specialty restaurant visits for free depending on the length of the cruise.

Maybe they should add a free Blu visit so suite guests can "try before they buy".

If you read the fine print the free specialty restaurant visits are only on Solstice class ship. I found this out on the Summit this year in a sky suite.

:mad:

Royal Princess, 10/18/14 Canada/NE, HAL 56 days, RCCL 104 points, NCL 28 days, Princess 214 days, Royal 14 days, Cunard 49 days, Celebrity 570 points

I had an interesting experience regarding this subject on my Infinity cruise in September. I had originally booked in AQ but upgraded to a Sky Suite due to the fact that I require an accessible cabin and the powers that be at Celebrity did not have the forethought to retrofit any of the AQ cabins during the solsticization. By the way, on a previous cruise I was told by reservations, that Celebrity has a policy on the books whereby, if you require a handicapped accessible cabin and there is not one available in the category in which you are booked, they will upgrade you to the next higher category at no additional cost. Well when I booked my September 2013 cruise roundtrip from Harwich England, I made the reservationist aware of this (she had never heard of the policy). In checking with her supervisor, she found out that this policy only applies to sailing which begin and end at a U.S. port. This being the case, I was forced to upgrade to a Sky Suite (albeit at a very modest up charge). However, prior to upgrading I had already prepaid my gratuities. When I made it clear to reservations that I intended to eat in Blu for breakfast and dinner, they advised me that this should not present a problem and just to speak to the Maitre D' at Blu on embarkation. I did so and advised them of my situation. While we were given a gratuity slip a the end of each dinner, the amount of the 5.00 per person per day gratuity was reversed on our final statement.

On last Silhouette Adriatic in a Suite. Some new friends asked us to dine with them in Blu. Not requested to "donate"$5.00, it was required. The Maitre d' was new and really didn't know the system. Didn't push the issue with him Off Connie today and was in AQ. Asked Alex, the Blu Matre d' if there had been a change in policy where $5.00 is now required. He told me that Suite guests were NOT required to pay $5.00.but it was requested.

We were on Connie for 27 days in Nov - Dec in a CS. The first time we went into Blue, Alex asked for our cabin number which we provided. He said "You're at table 207 downstairs at 8:30". Our response was "We know, we'd like to eat in Blue tonight, might you have a table?" His response was "Yes, but there is a $5.00 charge per person". He provided our server a slip and we were presented a bill to sign at the end of the night. Not too much optional about it but we sort of knew the policy and didn't really care. We ate in blue for dinner maybe a total of 6 times over the 27 days. Service varried. Once we got poor (very poor) service and we reduced the gratuity to $8 by crossing off the $10 and writing in $8. Somewhere about half way through Alex stopped providing the cards to the server and we stopped getting the checks.

The bottom line is we feel there should be a way to shift the gratuity if they are going to offer it as a benefit (based of course on availability), however, we also feel the dinning room wait staff shouldn't be penalized if we don't eat there, but these are gratuities, and not part of pay, right?

Happy Sailing,

Jenna