Status of "requested $5.00 gratuity" for suite passengers dining in Blu

Waterlily777

I would be interested in knowing what the recent experiences have been, fleet-wide, for suite passengers who choose to dine in Blu?

I have friends who just returned from the Constellation, and they were presented with bills for a $5.00 per person "requested gratuity" each night when they dined in Blu. They did not expect this. Because they wanted to dine in Blu every night, they asked if they could have their gratuities shifted over to Blu, but there didn't seem to be a simple process for this.

I thought this presenting of a bill was something that had been discontinued some time ago, so I didn't warn them about it, and I feel rather badly that they were embarrassed in this way. (They were embarrassed because they didn't know what the bill was for and felt uncomfortable having to ask questions.)

FWIW, they didn't have any trouble with availability to dine in Blu as there was available seating every night at the time they chose to dine.

I would be interested in knowing what the recent experiences have been, fleet-wide, for suite passengers who choose to dine in Blu?

I have friends who just returned from the Constellation, and they were presented with bills for a $5.00 per person "requested gratuity" each night when they dined in Blu. They did not expect this. Because they wanted to dine in Blu every night, they asked if they could have their gratuities shifted over to Blu, but there didn't seem to be a simple process for this.

I thought this presenting of a bill was something that had been discontinued some time ago, so I didn't warn them about it, and I feel rather badly that they were embarrassed in this way. (They were embarrassed because they didn't know what the bill was for and felt uncomfortable having to ask questions.

FWIW, they didn't have any trouble with availability to dine in Blu as there was available seating every night at the time they chose to dine.

We just got back from a week on Reflection. We stayed in a suite and ate in Blu just 1 time for breakfast. We were not presented with any type of bill.

Randy

We just got back from a week on Reflection. We stayed in a suite and ate in Blu just 1 time for breakfast. We were not presented with any type of bill.

Randy

There has never been a charge for suite passengers to have breakfast in Blu. The $5 discrepancy is solely regarding dinner in Blu. From reports here on Cruise Critic, it seems some ships charge suite passengers $5 to have dinner in Blu while other ships nothing.

There has never been a charge for suite passengers to have breakfast in Blu. The $5 discrepancy is solely regarding dinner in Blu. From reports here on Cruise Critic, it seems some ships charge suite passengers $5 to have dinner in Blu while other ships nothing.

I was not presented a bill at Blu for Dinner on Reflection, but I was in the PH - if that would matter or not.

The BLU restaurant was half empty due to a late call in San Juan and we stayed aboard.

Edited by cle-guy

On the Infinity this spring, we were not presented with a bill when dining in Blu in the evening. We were in a Royal Suite.

However friends of ours who dined with us from a sky suite were presented with a bill on at least one evening (Don't recall what happened subsequent evenings). This was on the TA portion of your b2b2b.

Mike

Just back from Silhouette yesterday. Ate one evening in Blu -- no problem getting a table. When we checked in with the hostess, she told us "five dollars per person was recommended."

We were not presented with a bill, but handed our card to the waiter after we finished dessert.

Just back from Silhouette yesterday. Ate one evening in Blu -- no problem getting a table. When we checked in with the hostess, she told us "five dollars per person was recommended."

We were not presented with a bill, but handed our card to the waiter after we finished dessert.

On last Silhouette Adriatic in a Suite. Some new friends asked us to dine with them in Blu. Not requested to "donate"$5.00, it was required. The Maitre d' was new and really didn't know the system. Didn't push the issue with him Off Connie today and was in AQ. Asked Alex, the Blu Matre d' if there had been a change in policy where $5.00 is now required. He told me that Suite guests were NOT required to pay $5.00.but it was requested.

On last Silhouette Adriatic in a Suite. Some new friends asked us to dine with them in Blu. Not requested to "donate"$5.00, it was required. The Maitre d' was new and really didn't know the system. Didn't push the issue with him Off Connie today and was in AQ. Asked Alex, the Blu Matre d' if there had been a change in policy where $5.00 is now required. He told me that Suite guests were NOT required to pay $5.00.but it was requested.

Even a year ago on our Silhouette TA cruise they asked Suite passengers to pay the $5.00 but didn't push the issue if they refused.

We had breakfast in Blu every morning on the Summit and dinner once. We were presented with the suggested gratuity charge that we gladly paid. Very attentive service. We tried to leave something extra at the end of the cruise but the Maitre d' declined it. That was certainly a first for us.

On Eclipse in sky suite, and we were asked for a gratuity of $5 at the end of dinner. We pointed out that all our gratuities had been pre paid as we were select dining. We paid up, and we were then were told we needed to have our tips moved to Blu. We wanted more flexibility to eat in the dining room if we wanted as it was a hassle to eat in Blu. We couldnt be guaranteed a table, we often had to wait for a table at the desk whilst aqua guests just walked in.

It seemed to me that suite guests who pay a lot for their vacation were treated a little like 2nd class citizens. I think Celebrity needs to adjust the policy on this issue.

On Eclipse in sky suite, and we were asked for a gratuity of $5 at the end of dinner. We pointed out that all our gratuities had been pre paid as we were select dining. We paid up, and we were then were told we needed to have our tips moved to Blu. We wanted more flexibility to eat in the dining room if we wanted as it was a hassle to eat in Blu. We couldnt be guaranteed a table, we often had to wait for a table at the desk whilst aqua guests just walked in.

It seemed to me that suite guests who pay a lot for their vacation were treated a little like 2nd class citizens. I think Celebrity needs to adjust the policy on this issue.

Careful, some folks may not get the British irony. ;)

Since celebrity reads this board...and since we have a spokesman for celebrity that posts information here.....wouldn't it be nice if celebrity actually had a policy on this...or if they do, then it would be nice if they told us what it is...and actually made it consistent across the fleet.

The current inconsistency is incredible!

They have a policy. It is that Suite Guests can have dinner in Blu if there is space. Please note the if there is space. For this they request a $5 gratuity per guest, which is actually very fair and reasonable if you think about it. What is inconsistent is the application of the policy. Some probably think that it is more trouble than it is worth to get the money as there are most likely the predictable screams of outrage from the affected guests. I am sure that if you aren't requested to pay the gratuity they will still let you if you ask.