LIVE from Royal Princes. 12/22!

CruisinChris

cruisin'chris,

where are you?

If your internet is anything like ours, forget being able to get on much. It was out most of the day. My son isn't happy - it died several times but it wouldn't allow him to log off. That happened to me earlier. Just a waste of money on this ship. Minutes fly by while waiting.

Speak to the Internet manager to get back any minutes lost if you were charged while the Internet failed before you signed out.

Hi Donna, Merry Christmas,

Forgot, there is a new $3.95 activation fee when you buy a plan for the internet and another $4.95 when you add more minutes. Nothing with the free platinum and elite minutes.

The $3.95 fee is not new.

The $4.95 fee is new.

Edited by caribill

As I said before, I didn't hear about the soot until after final payment and have never purchased cancel for no reason insurance. We really did want to see what the balcony was like and I truly had hoped they would fix it by now. You could have a huge party out there. I did complain and was told someone would contact me but it didn't seem to be a big deal to them. First day of a cruise is not the day to complain - they have enough other stuff going on.

Since your balcony is unusable - I honestly would try to negotiate some money back for not being able to use your balcony before you leave the ship. I honestly think it will be easier on the ship as opposed to when you get home and am dealing with the corporate office. Good luck.

Hi Donna, Merry Christmas,

Ok, this may be my last post. I feel bad that I have seem to taken over this LIVE and all I am doing is complaining. We had decided not to do Christmas cruises but I booked this and didn't tell my husband. for a year Our last one was full of rude loud people. Christmas Eve there was a table of 18 next to us (kids table of 6 was next to it) They were so loud and drunk that we could not hear each other and was not enjoyable at all. So, when they called today, I said we would like a table by the window at 8. We get down there and the table next to us had 12 people - RATS. They were loud and it got worse when the guys started to make noise by holding their breath and hitting their cheeks .:eek: They all went nuts and got louder. Next they all - kids also - wet the rims of their glasses and made more noise. The straw was when they pushed their chairs back and started juggling rolls followed by stabbing them with a knife and sticking them in wine bottles. We got up and walked out. The crew was so nice and send our food up to our cabin. Not real hot but it was excellent and much more enjoyable.

QUOTE]

Seriously? Wow, it makes me wonder what people do in public restaurants and then even scarier thought..their own home. That is out and out rude and ruins it for the whole dining room. So sorry you had to put up with those antics.

No one should have to put up with that nonsense. What's happening to Princess? Sounds like a Carnival cruise.

We're booked on the Royal for a February cruise. I've been following threads on this ship since she her first sailing and have some serious misgivings, but we'll give it a shot. However, we've already booked a HAL cruise for 2015. The demographic is more in line with us and past cruises we done on HAL have been much more civilized that what is described here.

Also, as an Elite with Princess, if I had ponied up big bucks for a balcony that was constantly subject to soot, I'd be camping down at the purser's desk until I received some satisfaction for putting up with that type of experience.

Hi Sandy,

Please don't make that your last post, I'm enjoying reading your comments both positive and negative. Dont feel bad, you didnt take this thread over, you resurrected it since Chris has never come back!

I feel bad more wrong than right is happening, but hopefully the good will outweigh the bad by the time Sunday rolls around.

If you see Dwight and Celeste, tell them hi :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T217A using Forums mobile app

Thanks Wendy,

Overslept this am and missed breakfast but there is too much food the way it is. We already are skipping desserts. It rained a couple times this morning and then there was a beautiful full rainbow and we looked toward the bow and the skies were as black as could be. We are watching our second movie of the day - love this new tv system. We did go up to find a spot by the pool - what a joke. There are a few here and there but people tell you they are saving them. There are loungers in the shade not what we want. Pools are packed with young people - same for hot tubs.

We had a talk over lunch and decided this will be our last Christmas cruise. Not our last cruise all together but just holiday ones. We will do islands resorts and that way we can scuba dive everyday. If you do these cruises with large groups, it can be a blast but when there is just two or three of you, it isn't the same and it is just the way it is. We are spending time together and that is the important thing and we are in warm weather not freezing cold with that damn white stuff on the ground.

Everyone really has been nice about the balcony issues - they just can't do anything to help. We will have to take it up with the main office when we return home.

Tonight is our first formal.

This movie is too funny - can't type and watch at the same time. Movie wins -------------

Merry Christmas everyone!!!

Sandy

May i second the request that you please keep writing on here.

What happened in the dining room was awful. I can't believe the Headwaiter didn't at least come over and ask them for some decorum!

I'll also second Corals suggestion that you try to get some satisfaction about your balcony while on the ship.

Just saw your post - what movie are you watching?

Edited by chamima

I'll also second Corals suggestion that you try to get some satisfaction about your balcony while on the ship.

Just saw your post - what movie are you watching?

Identity Thief

The purser said they would give us another cabin but the ship is sold out.

I have gotten over being upset. (although - the internet is driving me crazy). Our expectations were just too high. My suggestion is to make these OS a different category - not a suite - no suite perks - lower the price and people would love them. We are coming back to the Royal in a month and that one is just to have fun with some great friends. Tomorrow and Thursday we are going scuba diving and I'm really looking forward to that.

Wonder when Santa will show up? I bet there are some excited kids around.

Suns back - I'm off

Identity Thief

The purser said they would give us another cabin but the ship is sold out.

I have gotten over being upset. (although - the internet is driving me crazy). Our expectations were just too high. My suggestion is to make these OS a different category - not a suite - no suite perks - lower the price and people would love them. We are coming back to the Royal in a month and that one is just to have fun with some great friends. Tomorrow and Thursday we are going scuba diving and I'm really looking forward to that.

Wonder when Santa will show up? I bet there are some excited kids around.

Suns back - I'm off

I wholeheartedly agree. I found the OS to be a colossal waste of money. Before getting off the ship I had a look at a PH suite. It may have been a tad smaller, but I thought the space was much better used.....:):):)

Bob

Edited by Woobstr112G

Hello Compozer-

Hope your cruise is going well.

A note about cancel for any reason insurance.

We had Platinum Princess insurance and thought we could cancel for any reason.

Yes, we could cancel, but fare would not be refunded. It would be credited toward a future cruise.

It would have been refunded if it had been for a medical reason.

I suggest to anyone who has this coverage to check the fine print.

Happy holidays!

Hi Compozer,

So sorry to hear you're having such a bad time on the ship and that your balcony and suite are a disaster. And I've never cruised during Christmas, always the first week after Thanksgiving for me, so I can imagine the chaos it creates with the demographic those cruises attract.

I also had Ileana as a waitress, twice in fact, once at my first dinner in Crown Grill and on Turn Around Day at Alfredo's, and she is indeed a sweetheart. My waiters name in Crown Grill was Ond, and he was a great guy as well.

As for the internet issues, I'm still amazed that I was able to download so many pictures to Flickr, do sereral huge updates a day including those pictures, and never had any issues with it at all. I wonder if the type of device being used to access the ships internet matters? I had no problems with my iPhone, but on laptops and tablets I heard that the connectivity was slower.

Hope to hear more from you, whether the shows and food venues are to your liking, and what your sea days after St. Martin are like.

Hope things get better for you!

David

We were on the 18 day TA on Royal and have it booked for March and October.Other than balcony soot issues and center staircases,which did not impact us,I found the positives far outweighed the negatives on this ship.The really good new things were the TV's with expanded movies and stations,dramatically improved Horizon Court,new menu in Alfredos and the intranet.Just our opinion but we would sail Royal or Regal over a grand class ship anytime.

It definitely is a 'to each his own' opinion, but I do agree with you. As another member had mentioned in a previous review the Grand-class had become boring and dated, and Princess had turned into a big Yawn Factor. There are a lot of things to really like about Royal Princess, but if huge balconies, ballroom dancing, and tiered aft pools are more important then they have a dozen ships to pick from. My next cruise, and any future cruise with Princess, will be only on the Royal-class ships. If not for that, I'd be sailing with Celebrity Cruises.

I am not going to mention anymore negative things (well one other). It seems like people only want to hear the positives since they go nuts thanking everyone for posting POSITIVE.

It is always interesting reading about the things that others enjoy, dislike, are impressed with, and are disappointed in, especially from those experiencing it first hand. I hope you continue to post your thoughts regardless of what they are. I know in the months preceding my cruise it really helped reset my expectations, and I'm thankful for all the reviews and Live threads that came before me, with all of the good, bad, and ugly.

Merry Christmas Sandy!!!!

Hope the day is filled with fun and sun. :)

Hi Susan,

Merry Christmas.

Had two SUPER dives the morning. Made up for some of the stuff that has been going on. Just cleaning up our gear and we are off into town.

Beautiful day.

Merry Christmas everyone.

Sandy

Sandy I'm glad the two of you have had some great dives. I'm sure it is a different experience than what you have been learning with at home. So glad that has worked out for you.

Jamie! Merry Christmas to you too. Can't believe it was two years ago we were on the Crown Christmas cruise. Seems like a long time ago right now. Hope you are having a great time with your family also.

Hi Jamie,

Merry Christmas.

Yes, Susan, it seems like ages ago.

We are suppose to be casting off but they have been calling for two passengers and we want to get going. There is a rock on the west side of the island just around the bend that looks like a dive flag when the setting sun hits it and I'm afraid we are going to miss it.

We have been having fun watching two of the yachts having water balloon fights They tried to get us but came up a little short. (one was heading out). They were having a blast but they really should be required to go pick them up. I don't like to see that stuff floating in the water.

What a SAD day. We start our way back to FLL. I love sea days and am thrilled I don't have to get a wake up call for two days. Wasn't sure how long it was going to take today for our taxi ride to meet up with the dive boat. Hell, I don't even get up at 6:30 at home and then I have to jump in the water. Didn't even get coffee - no heads on the boat. We did two great dives. The seas were rolling and you didn't need to step off the boat to get in the water - the waves almost took us off the swim platform. We saw three good size sharks on the second dive. As we were heading up for our safety stop, one came right towards us - I could see the whites of his eyes:eek: then he turned off. And the dive boat dropped us off at the water taxi dock aright next to the ship and we really appreciated not having to find a taxi back. The current was so strong even 55 feet down that I really worked up an appetite and was dead tired.

For the first time in five years we went to the Horizon Court for lunch. It was GREAT!!!!! Food everywhere you looked and it was delicious. I ate way too much. The neat part was that the tables are so far apart - so much nicer than the MDR. The crew is so friendly and helpful.

We still haven't made it to a show or anything. We are movie people so have been watching many. This is so much nicer than the DVD's they use to give you. And now every cabin can enjoy them.

The Allure of the Seas was docked next to us and they pulled out just as we got pulled in the last of our lines. Everyone was yelling and waving at us. My son wondered if they got free drinks because they were so rowdy. And they went NUTS as the Love Boat theme played. Pacific Princess departed five minutes before.

I like the concierge lounge BUT people are handing their cards to friends and family members so the food goes fast. The people in the balcony next to us along with other family members are always there. I imagine it is worse because of Christmas and the large family groups traveling together. Mom and dad get the suite and the kids and grandkids are in cabins close to them. The girls are very helpful and very friendly. My only complaint is that they don't have regular coffee, just the specialty ones in the machines. The girl told me to make an espresso and add hot water. Not very good.

Our internet is terrible in our cabin and not available at all in our bedroom (normally my favorite spot) but if we go down there, it is much better. There is a cable hanging from the ceiling just outside our door so maybe it will improve in the near future.

Still haven't been able to get any loungers by the pool. I guess we need to go up early in the morning but that isn't going to happen.

We ate in the MDR the last two nights and have had great service.

It isn't even 9 yet but I think it is time to go to bed.

Take care,

Sandy

Sandy:

Glad you hear you had such a good day and great dives.

The internet thing really is ridiculous. Here this is a new ship and with the technology now, they could have done better. The Allure and Oasis have great internet from what I've been told and look at the size of those ships! So Princess dropped the ball on this one I think. We have read so many complaints on this it seems.

We don't go to the Horizon Court either, but it sounds like it is quite good on this ship. Glad you liked it and had a good lunch.

Too bad about the concierge area. Nobody had written much about this area, so I wondered if it was a worthwhile area. When we did that HAL cruise we went to their concierge lounge and thought it was the biggest waste of time. I didn't see the draw it had for people at all.

Enjoy your last 2 sea days. Will think of you Sunday when the ship comes in knowing we are so close to you here in Florida, but won't be able to see you.

The internet thing really is ridiculous. Here this is a new ship and with the technology now, they could have done better. The Allure and Oasis have great internet from what I've been told and look at the size of those ships! So Princess dropped the ball on this one I think. We have read so many complaints on this it seems.

On my Med/TA the internet on my iPhone was the best I've experienced at sea but others didn't even get Wi-Fi in their cabins. There were techs working on the system however this should have been done during construction. Techies tell me that meteorological conditions & location can affect satellite access which may be why I had great internet & there are so many complaints in the Caribbean.

I'm merely speculating but my internet in the Med/TA on the Royal Princess was noticeable better than on other Princess ships.

Hi Susan,

I was wrong about the time - forgot my computer didn't update the clock this last time and all of a sudden I am wide awake.

I don't know if the lounge is worth it or not. I don't like the fact that the food just sits there - yes there is a sneeze guard but I'd rather see a cover over the food because some things dry out. There also is no place to put dirty dishes so people just set them on the top tray. The girl called for dinner reservations but I really could have done that myself since so many times were already booked that she had to keep asking me if one time or another was ok. Probably easier to do it myself. The Star was great when they had the one lounge available for suites only on the last morning and they even kept the snack and coffee filled. That was a nice perk. I have a feeling that people are going to try to get their families into the lounge on Sunday morning and there really are not that many chairs.

Yes, we will be so close to you. If this was only our cruise in February, we could meet up since we will be heading to the boat show in Miami.

Forgot to mention that it rained sometime while I was taking a nap this afternoon and did clear up so people could be outside for sailaway but it probably screwed up a few afternoon excursions. Our balcony was soaked but at least it washed away the ash. It has rained more this cruise than any I remember.

What a SAD day. We start our way back to FLL. I love sea days and am thrilled I don't have to get a wake up call for two days. Wasn't sure how long it was going to take today for our taxi ride to meet up with the dive boat. Hell, I don't even get up at 6:30 at home and then I have to jump in the water. Didn't even get coffee - no heads on the boat. We did two great dives. The seas were rolling and you didn't need to step off the boat to get in the water - the waves almost took us off the swim platform. We saw three good size sharks on the second dive. As we were heading up for our safety stop, one came right towards us - I could see the whites of his eyes:eek: then he turned off. And the dive boat dropped us off at the water taxi dock aright next to the ship and we really appreciated not having to find a taxi back. The current was so strong even 55 feet down that I really worked up an appetite and was dead tired.

For the first time in five years we went to the Horizon Court for lunch. It was GREAT!!!!! Food everywhere you looked and it was delicious. I ate way too much. The neat part was that the tables are so far apart - so much nicer than the MDR. The crew is so friendly and helpful.

We still haven't made it to a show or anything. We are movie people so have been watching many. This is so much nicer than the DVD's they use to give you. And now every cabin can enjoy them.

The Allure of the Seas was docked next to us and they pulled out just as we got pulled in the last of our lines. Everyone was yelling and waving at us. My son wondered if they got free drinks because they were so rowdy. And they went NUTS as the Love Boat theme played. Pacific Princess departed five minutes before.

I like the concierge lounge BUT people are handing their cards to friends and family members so the food goes fast. The people in the balcony next to us along with other family members are always there. I imagine it is worse because of Christmas and the large family groups traveling together. Mom and dad get the suite and the kids and grandkids are in cabins close to them. The girls are very helpful and very friendly. My only complaint is that they don't have regular coffee, just the specialty ones in the machines. The girl told me to make an espresso and add hot water. Not very good.

Our internet is terrible in our cabin and not available at all in our bedroom (normally my favorite spot) but if we go down there, it is much better. There is a cable hanging from the ceiling just outside our door so maybe it will improve in the near future.

Still haven't been able to get any loungers by the pool. I guess we need to go up early in the morning but that isn't going to happen.

We ate in the MDR the last two nights and have had great service.

It isn't even 9 yet but I think it is time to go to bed.

Take care,

Sandy

Loved seeing the Allure take off next to us all lit up two weeks ago. We got some great pictures!

I had an inside cabin in the front of the Royal and my internet was fine, I was able to connect in my room without an issue. Funny how drastically it changes from room to room!

Enjoy your last two days at sea!

Loved seeing the Allure take off next to us all lit up two weeks ago. We got some great pictures!

I had an inside cabin in the front of the Royal and my internet was fine, I was able to connect in my room without an issue. Funny how drastically it changes from room to room!

Enjoy your last two days at sea!

Yes, It really was neat. And their crew with huge hand waving at us.

Our steward just told me that the ship changed internet companies. He said the service is also terrible in the crew quarters.

We finally toured the ship after breakfast. We miss being able to go out and look over the bow. Boy, we don't like the layout at all - just like others have said. I hate having to walk thru lounges and the Horizon Court to get around. Don't think we will book it again. We do have our February cruise on her but that will be it. We all like different things so I guess it is good that they offer different things for different people. It would be a boring world if we all like the same things.

The only place that is crowded is the pool areas otherwise you would never guess their are so many people on board. No tan for us this time - our dermatologist will be happy. Now she just says "where were you this time?"

Seas are pretty calm today. It is a beautiful sunny day.

Have a good day.