Class distinction on Celebrity

jocelysue

Like someone said....once on board the ship nobody knows your cabin number nor what level of points you have and who cares anyway. As for "Aqua Class"...I am not able to see any "prestige" in booking it and those who do, book it by choice and those of us who don't also book other cabins by choice. Don't let comments here sway your opinion of Celebrity. I don't think you will be disappointed. Enjoy your cruise!

AND one of the poolside bars reserved only for them.

Which bar? I thought I had hit every one of them on my last four cruises, and none I found were off limits to this non-Aqua class passenger. I'd hate to have missed one - it would break my unblemished record! :D

Edited by fortinweb

Learned a lot from this thread, the 1st is that few seem to know much about X and it's various cabin category levels and what they include.

One gets more when one pays more be it on a cruise, a resort, hotel, plane or what ever.

How Elitist is Business Class on a plane, why do they get access to airport lounges for free? Others pay a surcharge for the privilege to use the Lounges and then the majority sit in the airport and wonder why bother.

We just finished a 35 day X cruise in an AC1 cabin. Guess what you pay more to be on the 11th deck then a 9th deck cabin in Aqua class. .

When you are in AC you get lots of perks that regular cruisers and "Elites" don't get because you pay for them.

Many have commented that they think AC is not worth the money, that is their choice.

Check the menu's out and you will see things like soft shell crab as an appetizer or Halibut in Blu but the same night Tilapia is served in the MDR. It is what it is.

We were offered an upgrade to a Suite mid deck 6, we would have got a Butler if we had but preferred our aft cabin.

You pay for a suite you get different perks like VIP or a Butler as you paid more it is that simple.

You pay prepaid gratuities and you are entitled to Select dining and you can not remove the charge at the end of the cruise.

Those who are enraptured by Elite status can get over it since with the new points overhaul Captain's Club has finally acknowledge that X values CC, AC and Suites over the loyal Elites that sail inside.

The more the cost of your cabin category the more points you get.

They would rather fill a Suite or AC and sail with an empty inside. It is basic economics it is why they are in business.

Yes staff treat all the same with utmost respect and professionalism.

If you think the best room stewards are working on deck 3 or the best waiters are in the buffet you need to take time to pause and consider.

New cruisers to X that want to sail inside will now have to live on board to get to Elite Plus.

Celebrity is our favorite line regardless of the cabin category but the more you pay the more you get. It is your choice.

Edited by baldercash

Quite surprised at some of the posts I've read on this thread. 'class distinction' is something we have never come across on Celebrity, and the only thing we have experienced is different levels of added benefits within the loyalty scheme.

We have always had fantastic food in the main dining room, and we have used both the select dining restaurants and Blu, and found them all excellent.

I really don't think you can take as gospel what is written by a very small percentage of cruisers on forums such as this. You need to experience a cruise line yourself and then you can form you own opinions. Forums are an excellent source of info and tips, but peoples perception of standards (or lack of) are just that - their own opinion.

Every cruise line has loyalty clubs, and they all offer different 'perks' for loyal customers. Just because you may not be in their top tier, doesn't mean that your experience will lack anything because of this. So you don't get coupons for free drinks, free internet or laundry? In the big picture, surely that can't ruin your holiday?

Celebrity delivers on every level for us - I'm sure you won't be disappointed and will have a fantastic time.

Lou

It is very hard to read a persons voice, but I am reading some voices as quite combative.

I am re posting the OP's question in the hope we can all get back on track and put aside one upmanship.

Cheers, h.

distinction on Celebrity

Thiss will be our first cruise on Celebrity and I'm beginning to have more & more misgivings about our choice.

We are well-seasoned travelleres and cruisers who have enjoyed wonderful expériences. Howerver, reading the Celebrity board, there seems to be ever so much more snobbiness and class distinction on the line.

For example, on HAL,every cabin received Elemis products and a housecoat.Fresh orange juice was available for free to everyone in the morning.If one had a suite, the was a pricate reception room with concierge services but that was about all the distinction there was. Didn't seem to matter how many stars one had either.

On the X board, I see fellow passengers making distinctions between those who are higher up on the Captain's Club scale and those who are not. . There also seems to be a distinction between those who cruise Solstice class and those who cruise Millenium . So many little things that enhance class feeling: stools on balcony, privileged seating in theatre, etc.

For those who feel like flaming me, it's your call. Of course we could have chosen another line that we know and are comfortable with, but DH & I like to experience something different and X does have a good reputation

. Plus the date, price and itinerary suited us. Plus we do like fixed seating and formal evenings.

So perhaps I'm feeling misconceptions and my apprehensions are not well- founded. Please let us know if X is class-oriented or not. Thanks

Edited by middlehaitch

"There also seems to be a distinction between those who cruise Solstice class and those who cruise Millenium .

So perhaps I'm feeling misconceptions and my apprehensions are not well- founded. Please let us know if X is class-oriented or not. Thanks"

What is this distinction between those who cruise M class as opposed to S class and there is still the Century which is the last of her class? Then there is the Journey which only a limited number have sailed.

I have never encountered any X cruiser who denigrates the other class of X ships all have their advantages and limitations.

Some of our finest cruise memories were from cruising on Zenith and Horizon both long gone.

Were did you get this impression I have not seen it represented on any threads?

This whole discussion is a bit silly IMHO. The first two cruises I ever took - 1st on Carnival and 2nd on Celebrity - I never knew about reward programs and perks for suites, etc. Didn't know about cocktail parties that I wasn't invited to - never looked at the color of someone's card. It was the age of cruise innocence for me. :o And in my ignorance - I had wonderful cruises!

Then by accident I discovered cruise critic and became enlightened. :confused: I have learned so much from CC with mostly wonderful people sharing their knowledge but I have also come to know and sometimes desire those same perks that others often speak of :cool: Human nature. Class distinction is only if YOU see it that way.

Thiss will be our first cruise on Celebrity and I'm beginning to have more & more misgivings about our choice.

We are well-seasoned travelleres and cruisers who have enjoyed wonderful expériences. Howerver, reading the Celebrity board, there seems to be ever so much more snobbiness and class distinction on the line.

For example, on HAL,every cabin received Elemis products and a housecoat.Fresh orange juice was available for free to everyone in the morning.If one had a suite, the was a pricate reception room with concierge services but that was about all the distinction there was. Didn't seem to matter how many stars one had either.

On the X board, I see fellow passengers making distinctions between those who are higher up on the Captain's Club scale and those who are not. . There also seems to be a distinction between those who cruise Solstice class and those who cruise Millenium . So many little things that enhance class feeling: stools on balcony, privileged seating in theatre, etc.

For those who feel like flaming me, it's your call. Of course we could have chosen another line that we know and are comfortable with, but DH & I like to experience something different and X does have a good reputation

. Plus the date, price and itinerary suited us. Plus we do like fixed seating and formal evenings.

So perhaps I'm feeling misconceptions and my apprehensions are not well- founded. Please let us know if X is class-oriented or not. Thanks

I don't find Celebrity cruises to have class distinctions. All the cruise lines suites offer more if you are willing to pay more for a suite.

As for being elite, it is not like people wear it on their sleeves. We find Celebrity cruisers to be well traveled, well educated and the vast majority not burdened with pomposity.

The issue isn't whether Elites act entitled (although that would make it worse). The real issue is that Celebrity is leading the way back to the Titantic-style class system on cruises. As food in the MDR continues to decline in quality, those poor souls in regular cabins with non-elite status are rapidly becoming Steerage Class. This will be self-defeating, as that is most likely the entry point for new customers. If they feel that Celebrity really isn't any better than the basic cruise line they have been using, they'll go back and never try Celebrity again.

I notice from your signature that you've only sailed on Celebrity once.

I am an 'elite' Princess cruiser about to undertake my first Celebrity cruise. Princess issues 'elite' people with a black card which many people like to wear around their necks. I don't. I've seen people pushing past the queue waiting to disembark at a port saying, make way, we're elite. I've also heard them ranting at crew proclaiming their status. They are certainly around. The advantage of being 'elite' on Princess is free laundry - as much as you want. I also am apprehensive that cruise lines are returning to the 'class system'. Cunard had the Queens Room where we common people couldn't go. Willl be interesting to see how Celebrity operates - I know there is a lounge we common people can't use, also the Persian Garden I think. At least on Princess there are no areas closed off to everyone and if it is obvious to me that Celebrity is doing this...this will be my last trip. But I WILL have a fun time, I can assure you.

If Michael's Club is the lounge referenced, I've not paid attention whether it's always closed to 'common' people or not. As for Persian Gardens, as others have posted, you can access it for a fee or book an AQ cabin if it's really important to use it.

From our 1st Celebrity cruise in a low category veranda to our most recent experience in a Sky Suite (thanks to a great GTY price!), , I've never felt inferior to any other cruiser aboard based on my cabin # or Captain's Club level! I anticipate the same excellent service on our next cruise, which is booked in an OV cabin!

Edited by TMLAalum

Well, this thread turned into Just what the OP was worried about didn't it (rhetorical question)?

'Nuff said.

Cheers, h.

11441265264_cafcb979c0_o.gif

Preview, Classic, Select, Elite, Elite+, and Zenith members all.

Yes it did. The thread started out fine then a few people got defensive and took over debating the perks and their status. It was clear people were saying it is only a few people who throw their status around but most do not yet a few with status got offended and jumped all over those statements. Didn't make sense to me...both were saying the same thing but the defensive status-holders sounded pretty entitled in their responses which actually justifies the OP's original perception.

We just attained Elite status. This has to do with how many cruises you have taken. We usually sail in inside cabins, but we are able to get various benefits because of our cruise loyalty. When you are out of your cabin, no one knows if you are sailing in a suite or inside cabin, or somewhere in between. You will be treated with respect if you treat others with respect. We have enjoyed sailing on Celebrity because of their superior service, food, ambiance, and the beautiful ships. Enjoy yourselves.

Don't suite guests get little business cards? We got them once when in a suite and just saved them as a souvenir, but we've been handed these little cards by other passengers who were in suites. Thought it was rather "over the top" which is why we didn't use ours.

Edited by Kellie Poodle

"There also seems to be a distinction between those who cruise Solstice class and those who cruise Millenium .

So perhaps I'm feeling misconceptions and my apprehensions are not well- founded. Please let us know if X is class-oriented or not. Thanks"

What is this distinction between those who cruise M class as opposed to S class and there is still the Century which is the last of her class? Then there is the Journey which only a limited number have sailed.

I have never encountered any X cruiser who denigrates the other class of X ships all have their advantages and limitations.

Some of our finest cruise memories were from cruising on Zenith and Horizon both long gone.

Were did you get this impression I have not seen it represented on any threads?

We cruise M class because we like the smaller ships. We also cruised Century.

I guess that's just a little distinction?:rolleyes:

Yes it did. The thread started out fine then a few people got defensive and took over debating the perks and their status. It was clear people were saying it is only a few people who throw their status around but most do not yet a few with status got offended and jumped all over those statements. Didn't make sense to me...both were saying the same thing but the defensive status-holders sounded pretty entitled in their responses which actually justifies the OP's original perception.

Just because you or anyone else says something here in cyberspace, doesn't make it true. I went back and read every post on this thread and find none of what you just pontificated about. If you're referring to me, every comment about my status or number of Celebrity cruises was to put my comments into perspective. I cannot say I have seen, not seen, experienced or not experienced something without putting my knowledge of Celebrity cruises into perspective. Many people, like myself, here on CC are well seasoned cruisers and have to put our comments into perspective. If that makes you or anyone else feel inferior, maybe your should reread the comments and give us the benefit of the doubt. Very few here are trying to impress others. It's very easy to lie about the number of cruises or Captain's Club points, so what's the point in that? And to make a blanket statement that people cruising in inside staterooms are more down to earth is just a crazy statement. Of course some of us will push back on that.

Edited by SHill64

So therefore I have no right to post?

No, you have the right to post, but it's irresponsible of you to post your opinion on the MDR food or what people are being made to feel like in the lower staterooms based on ONE Celebrity cruise. Get it?

Don't suite guests get little business cards? We got them once when in a suite and just saved them as a souvenir, but we've been handed these little cards by other passengers who were in suites. Thought it was rather "over the top" which is why we didn't use ours.

I think Celebrity does or did those business cards for those passengers to give to people they meet onboard. It's all about one's attitude that makes something pretentous or not. My wife & I have our own personal cards we give out on vacations for people we meet.

Shaun

No, you have the right to post, but it's irresponsible of you to post your opinion on the MDR food or what people are being made to feel like in the lower staterooms based on ONE Celebrity cruise. Get it?

No, I don't get it. OP was asking how it would feel as a new Celebrity cruiser. Frankly, I think I have a better perspective on that than you do, since you were a new Celebrity cruiser a long time ago.

I have never seen any class distinctions on any of my Celebrity cruises. Now, on here, that is a whole different story, which by the way is a very small percentage of Celebrity's customers. On the ship, you might run into that one off serial braggart who has to tell everyone one that they are in a suite or the top tier of the Captain's Club, but it is very unlikely.

You will have a great time on your cruise, I've met so many lovely people over my years of cruising, actually that is one of the reasons I continue to cruise.

As food in the MDR continues to decline in quality

Ok, explain to me how you got this from one Celebrity cruise. What do you have to compare it to? Your second Celebrity cruise? :confused:

those poor souls in regular cabins with non-elite status are rapidly becoming Steerage Class.

Who told you they feel like this?

I think you have to remember that the Captains Club was just revamped and people are going to talk about it. I am on Silhouette now and other than special lines for Suites and ZEnith members you don't even know who is who.