Black, black and more black!!!!

CruzyMary

I will do a review afterwards. I am also writing a blog and with the help of others on the roll call, going to do a "Live" account on the Cunard forum.

A World Voyage has been a dream of mine for many years and I can't believe it is less than three weeks away!

WONDERFUL. Just saw that Porthopper is going also. So excited to see and read EVERYTHING (I am sure a lot of people are).

Porthopper.....very MUCH looking forward to seeing your ensembles on this cruise. Always soooo beautiful.

I hope you both have an amazing time.....

Somehow I think you meant :roll eyes: instead of :). But no worries. I'm definitely NOT into knowing fashions. I just know what I like and I've stuck with it. Sorry - no pictures of me, even in "look at me" standout style. When you travel solo, it's hard to take a picture of yourself :D

Remember the post you did of your LBD with the black boots and the skull scarf? One of my favorite outfits! I REALLY wanted that scarf! Take that LBD, and you can dress it up with accessories to make it shine on formal night as a cocktail-length outfit. My "night out in Rome" outfit looked just like that, but my boots were different (a little higher engineer-style). I have a thin silver belt that I added to that outfit. It's not a photo of me, but if you go to http://www.garnethill.com and click on the Eileen Fisher Washable Wool Scoop-neck Dress, the two photos there are exactly how I've worn my dress in winter (with the black leggings and tall boots) and summer (with the engineer boots). Just add accessories...

As for the "Look at me" standout - some posters here said they explicitly wear bright color to stand out. I honestly don't care to standout, I'd rather blend. If you look at some of the "post a picture of yourself in your formal" postings, you'll see a good number of photos in the "what not to wear" category ;) I'd repost the posting #s, but I don't want to blatantly call out any individuals...;)

Oh no! I meant this :cool:. Just bought a new tablet for my up coming cruise. I am still trying to figure out how to use it :D.

Take care.

M

I look a bit washed out in black so try to find other colors. Oh yeah, and I have two golden retrievers and wearing black is not usually my best option. (and no, there is NO way to keep the hair off the clothes and out of the suitcase.)

Oh no! I meant this :cool:. Just bought a new tablet for my up coming cruise. I am still trying to figure out how to use it :D.

Take care.

M

I bought a tablet (an iPad Mini) just before my big trip back in May. It opened up a ton of new options while traveling. Lots of cool apps to use. Did you get a version that you can buy a SIM card when traveling to get 3G/4G access or just wifi? Have fun with it! I'm still learning about it, too.

I'm a PIB and proud of it… (People in Black) :D

Take care.

M

Marie, you will love cruising with a tablet. I have brought mine with me for the last 3 cruises and it has been awesome. I have the iPad 2 and bought the Brookstone keypad/cover to go with it (bright pink of course). I am able to use it to write my reviews while on the ship. I also use it for email, facebook, cc, and an e-reader. You will love it! :D

As for black dresses, well I have bought 2 LBD's this year. And while I like the versatility of the garments, they will never be my go to's on land or sea. For decades I was obese, still 7 pounds overweight but working on that. I always wore black or dark brown in hopes of camouflaging my body. Yes, I know now that I was fooling myself. Anywho, this year I have worked my butt off changing my entire lifestyle to healthy eating, portion control, and exercise. I go for vibrant colors because they look good on me and most importantly they make me feel good about myself. Not all of us that wear bright colors are doing it to be noticed.

Lisa

http://www.terijon.com/productimages/prodimg/magnifier/36017.jpg

Not sure if the link will work but this is one of the dresses I'm wearing on my Anniversary cruise over Valentine's Day. Color - mint green over white lace in the Caribbean. I usually wear black thinking that at 56 that it is the most age appropriate choice and then I realized that color makes me happy - and life is short so I say to wear what makes you feel GOOD!! This dress is very flattering on and I'm not worried about attention - I'm hoping to have my husband's ;)

I'm short 5'2 so I have to spent a lot money to have everything altered to fit (taken up through the shoulders and shortened) - fit is important. While I'll also be wearing a very figure flattering, black - Tadashi Shoji gown - among others, (red :eek: and navy) - I think the "fashion police" need to worry about themselves and spend less time judging others. Just my opinion.

Not sure if the link will work but this is one of the dresses I'm wearing on my Anniversary cruise over Valentine's Day. Color - mint green over white lace in the Caribbean. I usually wear black thinking that at 56 that it is the most age appropriate choice and then I realized that color makes me happy - and life is short so I say to wear what makes you feel GOOD!! This dress is very flattering on and I'm not worried about attention - I'm hoping to have my husband's ;)

I'm short 5'2 so I have to spent a lot money to have everything altered to fit (taken up through the shoulders and shortened) - fit is important. While I'll also be wearing a very figure flattering, black - Tadashi Shoji gown - among others, (red :eek: and navy) - I think the "fashion police" need to worry about themselves and spend less time judging others. Just my opinion.

Hi, that is a LOVELY dress:) and as for wearing color? I am in your

age group.....I will be 56 in March. I see NOTHING wrong with wearing

color.....so go for it:D......I do have black dresses in my closet but

I have red, raspberry, and blue as well:D

OMG Jane...LOVE LOVE LOVE that dress.

Thank you! It was a splurge but it is my 20th Anniversary and probably the last time I'll got "full out" - lol. The black Tadashi Shoji is flattering and I'll save it for later in the cruise incase I gain a few pounds. I'm also wearing a very pretty navy gown that reminds me of the dresses from Downton Abby.

I rarely see women in gowns that don't fit or aren't in a current style - while I don't like to wear tight clothes - some people do and I don't judge, life is too short. It is fun to come here and talk fashion but I'm not a fan of anyone that thinks they are the expert how the rest of us should be dressing.

I love your dress and the color is fantastic! And a big 'ol AMEN on the fashion police comment. :D

Lisa

I think the "fashion police" need to worry about themselves and spend less time judging others. Just my opinion.

Whoa, hang on a minute! I only responded to the thread because of all the comments about "not wanting to be a sea of black" and so on. It is not only the wearers of colors that are being judged but apparently only "we" are the fashion police? :rolleyes:

Why not just let everyone express their opinion on the subject? Everyone has one and just because we do not agree doesn't make anyone the fashion police. I'm really tired of that phrase being trotted out every time someone doesn't agree with someone' else's opinion.

As you can see in the quote below, even those who like wearing color (and I have nothing against it, it's just not really my style), have said they can have trouble finding appropriate dresses.

So let's let this thread remain a discussion and not become a bashing. There are enough of those threads on other boards.

It does get a bit difficult at times to find nice looking, reasonably priced, colorful formal wear that is age appropriate and doesn't look like a teenagers prom dress..

Edited by cruisemom42

Whoa, hang on a minute! I only responded to the thread because of all the comments about "not wanting to be a sea of black" and so on. It is not only the wearers of colors that are being judged but apparently only "we" are the fashion police? :rolleyes:

Why not just let everyone express their opinion on the subject? Everyone has one and just because we do not agree doesn't make anyone the fashion police. I'm really tired of that phrase being trotted out every time someone doesn't agree with someone' else's opinion.

As you can see in the quote below, even those who like wearing color (and I have nothing against it, it's just not really my style), have said they can have trouble finding appropriate dresses.

So let's let this thread remain a discussion and not become a bashing. There are enough of those threads on other boards.

I'm not trying to bash anyone but the term "fashion police" certainly comes to mind when one reads this statement

"If you look at some of the "post a picture of yourself in your formal" postings, you'll see a good number of photos in the "what not to wear" category I'd repost the posting #s, but I don't want to blatantly call out any individuals..."

Just saying . . . .

Edited by Jane2357

I'm not trying to bash anyone but the term "fashion police" certainly comes to mind when one reads this statement

"If you look at some of the "post a picture of yourself in your formal" postings, you'll see a good number of photos in the "what not to wear" category I'd repost the posting #s, but I don't want to blatantly call out any individuals..."

Just saying . . . .

I think we can all agree that there have been some missteps posted. Fortunately we've all been polite and either followed mothers advice about saying nothing if you can't be nice or have found something to compliment--jewelry or color, etc. a member of the fashion police would actually call them out in it. That's the difference IMHO.

Autocorrect responsible for most typos...

Just saying . . . .

Apparently, people missed the "sarcasm" icons…

Not a fashion policeman, and I did say I was stating JMHO… some of the dresses are indeed nice, but just aren't necessarily appropriately tailored to the person. It's not an age-appropriate thing, either. And, again, we aren't bashing color - some people stated they indeed wear color to stand out.

Bowing out since I apparently can't please everyone:(

Absolutely stunning dress - it was worth a splurge. I agree that color makes me happy. In fact, as this thread has evolved, I realized that I have very little black in my closet but almost everything I have falls into the formal/informal category.

Apparently, people missed the "sarcasm" icons…

Not a fashion policeman, and I did say I was stating JMHO… some of the dresses are indeed nice, but just aren't necessarily appropriately tailored to the person. It's not an age-appropriate thing, either. And, again, we aren't bashing color - some people stated they indeed wear color to stand out.

Bowing out since I apparently can't please everyone:(

If I mis-understood the tone of the comment then I apologize and certainly do want anyone to bow out. As women, aren't we hard enough on ourselves - I'm just trying to point out that we need to be sensitive to all, not judging based on what we feel is correct - some like it tight, some like black others will go for red - as long as we feel beautiful then I believe that we all ARE!

If I mis-understood the tone of the comment then I apologize and certainly do want anyone to bow out. As women, aren't we hard enough on ourselves - I'm just trying to point out that we need to be sensitive to all, not judging based on what we feel is correct - some like it tight, some like black others will go for red - as long as we feel beautiful then I believe that we all ARE!

In my opinion most of us should be harder on ourselves. I don't believe in "settling" and giving up is not an option.

Autocorrect responsible for most typos...

In my opinion most of us should be harder on ourselves. I don't believe in "settling" and giving up is not an option.

Who is talking about "settling" or "giving up"? I haven't given up at my age trying my best to look as nice as possible but I do NOT believe that women need to be harder on themselves and I disagree with the judgmental ideals that others try to foist up us. YOU want to be harder on yourself - go right ahead but I'm of the belief that we can all be our best selves without competition or comparison. I've spent my entire life trying to live to standards to please OTHERS - now I please myself.

Who is talking about "settling" or "giving up"? I haven't given up at my age trying my best to look as nice as possible but I do NOT believe that women need to be harder on themselves and I disagree with the judgmental ideals that others try to foist up us. YOU want to be harder on yourself - go right ahead but I'm of the belief that we can all be our best selves without competition or comparison. I've spent my entire life trying to live to standards to please OTHERS - now I please myself.

I wholehearted agree! Thanks for saying exactly what I was thinking too!

Happy holidays everyone,

KK

I don't think anyone is settling. I wear what looks good on me and what I like. My favorite color is orange. My Mom's favorite color is lime green. I have inherited a love of color :)

All that matters is that we are happy with our own clothing choices. If you love black, then wear it proudly.

I'm taking 2 gowns for our New Years cruise, one red and one purple. I am taking 4 other dresses, black, black & beige, a blue silver & black, and my "cruise dress" a very old (vintage) multi color tropical that I just love the cut of. I'll wear silver sandals with the gowns and black slides with the other dresses so not too many shoes to pack.

I do have black gowns but they are not going this time.

Mary Lou

Edited by CHEZMARYLOU

About 90% of wardrobe is black, I'd say the other 10% is either some shade of grey, or blue. It just makes my life easier, I do add the occasional splash of color with different color scarves, but honestly most of those are grey or black too!

That said, I love the dress that Jane posted, absolutely gorgeous :)

Love the conversation! I agree with all that pointed out that the most important thing is to feel good about what you are wearing - regardless of the color! I did note a Sea of Black but should have also added that I was in the company of 1,000 women who looked and appeared to feel pretty spectacular!

I'm taking 2 gowns for our New Years cruise, one red and one purple. I am taking 4 other dresses, black, black & beige, a blue silver & black, and my "cruise dress" a very old (vintage) multi color tropical that I just love the cut of. I'll wear silver sandals with the gowns and black slides with the other dresses so not too many shoes to pack.

I do have black gowns but they are not going this time.

Mary Lou

Hi Mary Lou:).....I LOVE PURPLE!:D

correct.. there are lots of women wearing black that blend in because they don't know how to wear black.. then their are the few that wear black and do know how to wear black and have that WOW factor and certainly don't blend in.

Boy oh boy...I would love to see a picture of you in black :).