What is Celebrity Thinking with the Century?

cruiseerf

I have many friends who work for several cruiselines in high level positions. They all say they wouldn't touch the Century for a cruise until she has a FULL ON Renovation. They all just roll their eyes to the heavens. This renovation was scheduled for 30+ days to rehaul Electrical, Air Water systems as well as adding a variety of needed upgrades to dining venues etc. Now I am told this has been cancelled and this ship is having a 5 day soft refit??? UGH, she was in bad shape 2 years ago!....I would avoid this ship like the plague. Carnival did similar with their older ships and upgrades and look at what is coming out now? That they knew their ships had dangerous possibilities......Celebrity should learn from this but is looking to the $$$.

Celebrity cruises owns this ship outright so it is a low cost ship to operate for them comparably...bringing in good revenue numbers. The ship offers some of the lowest per day pricing in the Celebrity fleet. So for people where $$ is an issue it gives them an option. For people who try it and don't like it, Celebrity as a brand takes a hit. It is probably cheaper for them to just pay the complaints out and keep the ship running...

I reviewed the schedules this year and rumours have been ripe that they are selling the Century in 2015. They just announced itinerary's which drop the century in Europe in May 2015 (Where her two sisters were sold and renovated) right before the start of the busy 2015 summer season. It appears they are not willing to renovate fully with a sale pending....

So Celebrity is going to milk the Century for as much $$$ as they can. It is a business after all. I guess if people like taking an older ship and taking risks....this is fine, and I recognize that bad things can happen anywhere. But IMHO Celebrity is making a large misstep with this and quite frankly I am disappointed they are taking the chances they are.

I also feel bad for all the people who make the wrong choices not knowing what the deal is. Ultimately, Caveat Emptor....Buyer beware.... But to Celebrity cruises I say...Shame on you.

I have many friends who work for several cruiselines in high level positions. They all say they wouldn't touch the Century for a cruise until she has a FULL ON Renovation.

For people who try it and don't like it, Celebrity as a brand takes a hit. It is probably cheaper for them to just pay the complaints out and keep the ship running...

I also feel bad for all the people who make the wrong choices not knowing what the deal is. Ultimately, Caveat Emptor....Buyer beware.... But to Celebrity cruises I say...Shame on you.

The only problem is your opinion is not borne out by other passenger reviews.

You can see that an easy majority of recent cruisers continue to rate the Century 5-star...

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/getreviews.cfm?action=ship&ShipID=15

Ratings are not dissimilar from other Celebrity ships and in fact above a number of them.

How do you know the reviews are no left by Celebrity Marketing executives? Oooh thats right...That would be against the rules... ;)

Just saying...IMHO, this boat is a barge and I wouldn't get on her if it was free. And I have cruised for close to 1000 nights on many ships...This one has all my alarms a blazing.

That said, we are all adults and we all make our beds and live with the consequences.

Safe travels to all!

Century still delivers high rankings among the fleet. I was very satiesfied two weeks ago and would choose, in the future, the Century over S-Class even without drydock. Simply because it is not crowded as the latest ships.

And I think this works out well for Celebrity. There are plenty of new, glitzy ships in their fleet. But a minority, who is willing to pay, appreciates the comfort on Century.

Edited by SoBe2010

Nothing like a bit of pomposity on Christmas Eve. Its your opinion and mine is different. But thanks for the warning about the 'risks'. Unfortunately, I dont have 'high level friends' anywhere that can give advice on matters such as this.

I guess I'll just have to live dangerously and keep enjoying Century while she's still around...

I got off the Century about 4 weeks ago after having been on for 30 days (B2B 15 night Hawaii cruises).

I will admit that the Century is not in as good shape as the Reflection, but it is in better shape than the Millennium.

I know that they were having MANY problems with water leaks. Don't know if they replaced all the piping or what but my Concierge cabin had so much water pressure I could not use it all. I was amazed that a ship that makes its own water would have 5 times the water usage from the shower as my shower at home:confused:

The service on the Century is the best in the fleet. The ship has the best staff to passenger ratio in the fleet.

As for the pricing, Celebrity charges what they can get. The cost per day that I paid was SIGNIFICANTLY higher than what Celebrity is now charging for all of their Solstice class Caribbean cruises.

I currently have over 100 future cruise days booked on the Century and am VERY HAPPY with the ship:)

How do you know the reviews are no left by Celebrity Marketing executives? Oooh thats right...That would be against the rules... ;)

How do you know that it is only Century's ratings that are left by executives?

Otherwise the ratings are all broadly similar for their ships so that means that there's still no major difference between them, including that Century is not at the bottom.

Unless you think that none of them are genuine passenger ratings, and CC only permit Celebrity executives to post.

In which case, I would leave you to your conspiracies...

Why do you even care? Someone tells you they don't like a ship so you feel you have to come on here and let everyone know that you are avoiding her like the plague and no one else should cruise her either?

Century was on our first ship with X and on the strength of our two cruises on her we decided to take the Solstice. I still find that Murano on Century is one of the best restaurants we ever dined out. I respect your opinion that you do not like the ship for the various reasons you listed but it was not our experience thought the ship was great. I will be saddened to see her go which looks like it might happen but if she does we will have fond memories of her.

Edited by dfishner

We were on the Century earlier this year. Yes, she is an older ship and can use some work, but I would sail on her again right now. We love her and think she is still VERY sea worthy. The crew is outstanding, thanks for your advice, but it is far from good enough to stop me from sailing her again in the future. And NO I DO NOT work for the cruise line. Have a great holiday

I wonder if the OP was trying to put people off booking Century so the prices of upcoming cruises would go down and he/she could jump in and pick up a bargain. Now, there's a conspiracy theory for you.....

Is it possible that the all the fake positive reviews the OP is insinuating about were generated by the same group that some believe faked the moon landings in the late 60's and early 70's? :p:rolleyes:

WAIT!!!! Is it possible that the OP is here to try to drive people to Princess's Ocean and Pacific ships by painting the final months of the Century so dark. :p (Oooh thats right...That would be against the rules...)

moonhoax.jpg

Edited by A Sixth?

We spent 11 days on the last Alaska cruise of the season in September 13. I was a little anxious having read various comments on these boards. In the event the ship was super. As I said in my review it does not have all the bells and whistles of the S Class but it was comfortable , clean, the crew were great and we had a super holiday. Having sailed on both the Galaxy and the Mercury in the past and more recently the Independence of the Seas I have to say we prefer this size of ship.

It is so nice we all have choices.:D Feel bad for people who sail her?:eek:

If you don't like a ship then don't sail it, but in my opinion, there is no

reason to feel bad for anyone.:eek: Wrong choice? That would just

be your opinion, correct?

Since you seem to hate the ship so much then by all means, don't

sail her. (since you said you would not step on her again for free).

Looks like there are people who still enjoy her though:).....they have

actually posted about their recent cruises and had a great time. In my

opinion, she is still a great ship and much more than "a barge".

She was my first ship over 10 years ago and I am going on her in

February again and look forward to it very much. I agree with Dfishner

and will be sad to see her go.

Edited by Lois R

How do you know that it is only Century's ratings that are left by executives?

Otherwise the ratings are all broadly similar for their ships so that means that there's still no major difference between them, including that Century is not at the bottom.

Unless you think that none of them are genuine passenger ratings, and CC only permit Celebrity executives to post.

In which case, I would leave you to your conspiracies...

Touche'!!

Don't know why the OP is doing this as I don't believe he has actually been on this ship so how can he comment on it?? So what if he knows "High Level" people!! they probably haven't been on her either! I sailed on her back in February to Hawaii for 15 nights and she looked to be in great shape to me and met all her obligations and ports of call on time. Of course she is old, but you have to expect that going in. But she looked great for her age!!

What the heck is going on with these recent threads on Celebrity. I mainly post here, but do read the other cruise forums, and boy are things getting wacky over here.

I realize Celebrity made a big change in the Capt Club program and a number of posters have come up with creative ways that they should get more points than they got, such as getting points for cruises they were thinking about taking, or for cruises they'd like to take but don't exist. But a whole thread on how poor (and unsafe??) a particular ship is that the OP never cruised on???

Got it.

I went outside last night, but the Moon is only 3/4th Gibbous - not Full.

I have friends in high level positions at the Comedy Club and I asked them if they were sending writers over to try out new material - nope.

I have friends in high level positions at the NSA and I asked them to check if the posts on the Century Review board were by Celebrity Marketing Execs, and they reported back that no, the seven 5+ and eleven 5-star reviews were by actual people, but the one 1-star review was submitted by someone who had been in Sing-Sing for the past 10 years and was still there. Go figure. You'd think that guy would appreciate even a poor cruise ship on their furlough days off.

Oh well, I'll just keep looking for more recommendations from people who's opinions aren't swayed by actual knowledge and experience

Den

What the heck is going on with these recent threads on Celebrity. I mainly post here, but do read the other cruise forums, and boy are things getting wacky over here.

I realize Celebrity made a big change in the Capt Club program and a number of posters have come up with creative ways that they should get more points than they got, such as getting points for cruises they were thinking about taking, or for cruises they'd like to take but don't exist. But a whole thread on how poor (and unsafe??) a particular ship is that the OP never cruised on???

Got it.

I went outside last night, but the Moon is only 3/4th Gibbous - not Full.

I have friends in high level positions at the Comedy Club and I asked them if they were sending writers over to try out new material - nope.

I have friends in high level positions at the NSA and I asked them to check if the posts on the Century Review board were by Celebrity Marketing Execs, and they reported back that no, the seven 5+ and eleven 5-star reviews were by actual people, but the one 1-star review was submitted by someone who had been in Sing-Sing for the past 10 years and was still there. Go figure. You'd think that guy would appreciate even a poor cruise ship on their furlough days off.

Oh well, I'll just keep looking for more recommendations from people who's opinions aren't swayed by actual knowledge and experience

Den

Dennny, you always make us laugh. We will be on Infinity around the British Isles also, sorry not at the same time. Would love to meet you

I've never been on Century so I cannot comment on its condition.

But I was Jesuit educated so I feel qualified to address the logic in the original post. To suggest that the shortening of a dry dock that was primarily geared to "Solsticizing" Century (something clearly now abandoned) equates to safety at sea issues that Carnival might have experienced is just illogical - perhaps even shameful. I am not saying that the carpets might not be worn , the decor dated, etc.. I don't know if it is or not, but that's not the same thing as to suggest that she's unsafe.

Rumors are rife about her fate but NONE of them have ever suggested that Century will be really SOLD. The only ex-Celebrity ship that is truly gone outside the family is Meridien - and she's really gone. Instead, like her sisters, Mercury and Galaxy and Horizon and Zenith before them, she'll likely be transferred to another RCI brand like TUI, Pullmantur, Croisieres de France, or even Azamara. It is not in anyone's interest to abuse this ship before it leaves the Celebrity fleet.

First of all -- Denny, it's so good to see you back on the X boards -- you've been missed!

But, a couple of questions for the OP:

-- Have you ever been on Century?

-- If not, how can you accurately advise people whether or not to sail on her?

Personal experience: DH and I cruised to Hawaii on Century, in the spring of 2012. Yes, I noticed that she is an older ship. And yes, there were some wear-and-tear issues: clouded windows in the forward lounge, ratty and dated carpeting throughout the ship, etc. It's also sad that they took out the T-pool, during her last major dry-dock. The lack of any indoor pool/hot-tub is a definite draw-back on colder sailings. And, yes, she only has one specialty restaurant (Murano).

All that being said, I did not hesitate to book a b2b on Century for this February. Sure, I'm hoping that they will spruce the old girl up a little during her dry-dock. But, that's not even a deciding factor. She's a classy old ship, with a great crew. On our Century cruise, we had some of the best service and food that we've ever had on X. Like anyone else, I can appreciate "bells and whistles" -- but, I don't cruise for them. And, from the looks of our February Century roll-calls -- it appears that I'm in some pretty good company! :cool:

Edited by wwcruisers

Just saying...IMHO, this boat is a barge and I wouldn't get on her if it was free. And I have cruised for close to 1000 nights on many ships...This one has all my alarms a blazing.

That said, we are all adults and we all make our beds and live with the consequences.

Safe travels to all!

I am scheduled for Century next April and the roll call is FULL of past pax who have sailed her before and cannot wait to get on her again. furthermore I am looking at recent reviews ( not just on cc)) and for the most part she has gotten more positive than negative reviews in all categories,

you don't have to get on her, that leaves more room for the rest of us.

I've had four Century cruises this year (56 days total = 15 + 15 + 15 + 11). The ship is older and it does have some minor cosmetic issues that I certainly didn't observe on a much newer Solstice-class ship for another 15-day cruise this year.

I enjoy the smaller size of the Century compared to the jumbo Solstice-class ships, and I am not put off by some of the minor appearance issues. I would certainly sail on the Century again if it was free! :D

We recently did the Century to Hawaii and I would do this ship again. I do not like the elevator arrangement on the Solstice class ships especially if you are in an aft cabin. I would prefer the Century for a long cruise.

Royal Princess, 10/18/14 Canada/NE, HAL 56 days, RCCL 104 points, NCL 28 days, Princess 214 days, Royal 14 days, Cunard 49 days, Celebrity 570 points

I have many friends who work for several cruiselines in high level positions. They all say they wouldn't touch the Century for a cruise until she has a FULL ON Renovation. They all just roll their eyes to the heavens. This renovation was scheduled for 30+ days to rehaul Electrical, Air Water systems as well as adding a variety of needed upgrades to dining venues etc. Now I am told this has been cancelled and this ship is having a 5 day soft refit??? UGH, she was in bad shape 2 years ago!....I would avoid this ship like the plague. Carnival did similar with their older ships and upgrades and look at what is coming out now? That they knew their ships had dangerous possibilities......Celebrity should learn from this but is looking to the $$$.

Celebrity cruises owns this ship outright so it is a low cost ship to operate for them comparably...bringing in good revenue numbers. The ship offers some of the lowest per day pricing in the Celebrity fleet. So for people where $$ is an issue it gives them an option. For people who try it and don't like it, Celebrity as a brand takes a hit. It is probably cheaper for them to just pay the complaints out and keep the ship running...

I reviewed the schedules this year and rumours have been ripe that they are selling the Century in 2015. They just announced itinerary's which drop the century in Europe in May 2015 (Where her two sisters were sold and renovated) right before the start of the busy 2015 summer season. It appears they are not willing to renovate fully with a sale pending....

So Celebrity is going to milk the Century for as much $$$ as they can. It is a business after all. I guess if people like taking an older ship and taking risks....this is fine, and I recognize that bad things can happen anywhere. But IMHO Celebrity is making a large misstep with this and quite frankly I am disappointed they are taking the chances they are.

I'm afraid you are totally misinformed. Century is a wonderful ship with the best service and food. We did our 3rd with Century in November. Who's opinion are you making this assessment on? I would rebook in a heartbeat. Well, different strokes for different folks. Perhaps an opinion of those who have actually sailed on the Century might be a better indicator that some of your high level so-called experts. I'm appalled at your statement regarding the condition of the Celebrity Century. I am not biased toward Celebrity as I distribute my sailings as the itineraries fit my schedules. But the Century is a wonderful ship.

our 3rd time in 14 months....Is she older??? YES....is she looking a little worn>>>>YES....IMHO... Do I still love the ship ......yes!!!

I'm not sure what will "happen to her"....and I'm not sure that anyone else here knows either???? :D BUT....am I scheduled to sail with her again...YES....for the T/P next September '14.

TBH....the carpet in our stateroom was "thread-bare"...as it was the 2 times before this last cruise....TBH...there were "huge" chunks of "faux" wood missing from the corners of cabinets etc. in the stateroom! TBH...they did "refresh" the balcony rail while we were on board!

TBH...I think this is the first and only "Brunch" that I thought was not great...we are talking very, very tiny 'shrimp" ...placed in a very, very, tiny cup....and most of the other items were WAY over cooked/cooled and pretty bad!!!!

Will I still sail this ship...yes...because I like the up-coming T/P and the CC people that will be on-board....

Does this mean I like what I see on board every day??? NO....and I do hope that in this "short" re-hab...something happens to make the carpet/bedding/etc look better!

Time will tell....but I'll be on board...no matter what happens!!!! LuAnn