Noro Virus Outbreak on Xmas Cruise? Sun Princess

Zanny

I have discovered a product that is wonderful for getting rid of tummy bugs. Activated Charcoal Powder. Just dissolve a teaspoon in a glass of water, yes the water will go black. Just sip it. Activated Charcoal will pick up any bugs in your system and take it out. My daughter and myself have both recently been sick with stomach bugs, and took the powder. It worked.

I purchased the powder from a health food store.

http://www.charcoalremedies.com/vomiting

Thanks for that we have used gastro lite in the past lucky only once with my husband, but I will buy the charcoal powder too, like it when it is natural.

I have discovered a product that is wonderful for getting rid of tummy bugs. Activated Charcoal Powder. Just dissolve a teaspoon in a glass of water, yes the water will go black. Just sip it. Activated Charcoal will pick up any bugs in your system and take it out. My daughter and myself have both recently been sick with stomach bugs, and took the powder. It worked.

I purchased the powder from a health food store.

http://www.charcoalremedies.com/vomiting

I think that is an old remedy - an oldie but a goodie. :)

Stair rails, toilet door handles and the buffet are the main sources of contamination .

Avoid using stair rails or use a paper towel . Use a paper towel when exiting toilets after washing your hands to open the door . Holland America & Oceania encourage this and have special waste bins by the doors.

In the buffet tongs ONLY for all self service food, and use hand sanitizers at all food venue entrances. Oceania have NO self service in their buffets, and Holland America there is no self service for the first two days of each cruise.

Admonish politely any pax who coughs and splutters in the buffet near food, and ditto any pax who self serves food with their fingers .

Cruises with high numbers of ankle biters are the greatest risk of outbreak of noro virus.

Edited by kuldalai

I always take Gastro Health while I'm on board, keeps the gut healthy. Always go back to your cabin to use the bathroom. Never stop the vomiting or diarrhoea with medication. It's the bodies natural way of getting rid of the bug you have caught. Taking anti-emetics & anti-diarrhoea meds retain the bugs in the body therefore making the virus last longer than it should.

Cruises with high numbers of ankle biters are the greatest risk of outbreak of noro virus.

I don't doubt you at all -- but I have never heard of this anywhere else or considered it myself. Do you have any reference to this claim??

I have a bit of a "theory" myself - that Novovirus is more likely to become virulent in places where people vomit - eg at sea, in old people's homes where people are sick. Children do also vomit quite a bit.

Barry

I don't doubt you at all -- but I have never heard of this anywhere else or considered it myself. Do you have any reference to this claim??

I have a bit of a "theory" myself - that Novovirus is more likely to become virulent in places where people vomit - eg at sea, in old people's homes where people are sick. Children do also vomit quite a bit.

Barry

Probably talking about the hygiene standards of both young and old people Barry, you know ye olde non washing of the mitts spreads the virus, like on Arcadia last year, the Ship's Surgeon had 600 cases of it on the 3 months World cruise, I was a victim, confined to cabin for 5 days. Antibiotics will not cure ye olde Noro.

Edited by NSWP

Barry

No reference, but I was astonished one day on Rhapsody when I saw a child drop a ice cream cone, only to pick it up, get another one from the dispenser and then put the one off the floor back......

Makes you think.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I once saw a kid pick up a plate at the start of the buffet, rub her hands all over it, then put it back and pick up another one. Mother said nothing. After they walked away, I nicely pointed it out to the buffet attendant who hadn't seen what happened and asked her to put the plate in for washing.

Stair rails, toilet door handles and the buffet are the main sources of contamination .

Avoid using stair rails or use a paper towel . Use a paper towel when exiting toilets after washing your hands to open the door . Holland America & Oceania encourage this and have special waste bins by the doors.

P&O Australia and Princess also have these by the doors in their public toilets. P&O are particularly strict with the hand sanitiser. On our last cruise to PNG there were ALWAYS two crew members at the MDR doors with sanitiser bottles actually putting it on your hands as you went in.

Does Glen 20 kill Noro Virus? I always take it and spray away the previous occupants from my cabin. I have never had Noro but there was an out break on the Solstice on our Syd to Honolulu cruise and our daughter had it. They quarantined her but not us which surprised me.

Anyway a nurse told me all the sanitisers they use don't even kill Noro and it's better to be washing your hands. Given this information could there be people who should be washing their grubby hands but are too lazy thinking they will just use the hand sanitisers and that will do the trick. hmm gross. :rolleyes:

Anyway a nurse told me all the sanitisers they use don't even kill Noro and it's better to be washing your hands. Given this information could there be people who should be washing their grubby hands but are too lazy thinking they will just use the hand sanitisers and that will do the trick. hmm gross. :rolleyes:

It's true - alcohol-based sanitisers do not kill norovirus. Soap and water is the best. Last year we bought online an alcohol-free product called Hands First which was produced by a cruiser for the purpose. It is great. If you're interested just google Hands First.

I agree - we used to call it "flu" now it has to have a fancy name, and an origin - could be anyone on the ship - they probably came on fine, and were sick a few days in. Cannot blame them. They did not mean to spread it to everyone - trouble is, by the time you get fever and throw up, you have already spread it around.

There was an outbreak on Allure in March, and we were delayed because they deep cleaned the ship before we boarded.

Why some get it and others do not - unfortunate luck of the draw.

Never can find the actual source, guarantee not all will report it and stay in their room. They do not want to dissapoint the rest of their group, and probably are in denial - " will not be sick on my vacation"! Maybe if I just get off the ship for a bit - feeling it is a bit of motion sickness. By that time, they have been in 1/3 of the public areas, and touched/shared a lot of airspace.

All you can do it try your best to be healthy before you board, and pray it does not catch you!!

Think people that go overboard with the hand sanitizers are more apt to have a bad immune system, and more apt to get it.

Happy Healthy Travels!!!

I agree - we used to call it "flu" now it has to have a fancy name, and an origin - could be anyone on the ship - they probably came on fine, and were sick a few days in. Cannot blame them. They did not mean to spread it to everyone - trouble is, by the time you get fever and throw up, you have already spread it around.

There was an outbreak on Allure in March, and we were delayed because they deep cleaned the ship before we boarded.

Why some get it and others do not - unfortunate luck of the draw.

Never can find the actual source, guarantee not all will report it and stay in their room. They do not want to dissapoint the rest of their group, and probably are in denial - " will not be sick on my vacation"! Maybe if I just get off the ship for a bit - feeling it is a bit of motion sickness. By that time, they have been in 1/3 of the public areas, and touched/shared a lot of airspace.

All you can do it try your best to be healthy before you board, and pray it does not catch you!!

Think people that go overboard with the hand sanitizers are more apt to have a bad immune system, and more apt to get it.

Happy Healthy Travels!!!

You are most likely right that the contagious period is well before the symptoms hit you which is why it is difficult to contain. As for being sanitized ruining immune systems, that is doubtful.:D

I use the stairs and the toilet oin our cabin.

Didnt stop a pop up bar tender getting stroppy on the Pacific apearl a few weeks ago when I asked for a replacement Corona as he used his fingers to put the lime in the neck of the bottle.

I use the stairs and the toilet oin our cabin.

Didnt stop a pop up bar tender getting stroppy on the Pacific apearl a few weeks ago when I asked for a replacement Corona as he used his fingers to put the lime in the neck of the bottle.

really, that is poor form from the staff, they should know better.:D

I have another theory!!! :)

and that is-- that the people who get it are those who do not wash their hands after toileting.

Think about it -- when do they wash their hands???? (if they don't wash after toileting)

Barry

I have another theory!!! :)

and that is-- that the people who get it are those who do not wash their hands after toileting.

Think about it -- when do they wash their hands???? (if they don't wash after toileting)

Barry

More than likely the case.:D

The most important time to wash your hands is before eating to protect yourself from germs other people have left on handrails/lift buttons/buffet utensils.:)

Definitely agree, although after toileting is also a great time to be hygienic.:D