Aching feet...what do you do?

t60

You know those days when you´ve been out and about in a new port, walking here, there and everywhere on hard pavements or even worse cobbbled pavements and you get back to the comfort of the ship, but your feet and ankles feel totally worn out. At home I´d soak my feet in lovely scented hot water and let the aches and pains go away, but what do you do onboard? Buy a cheapie plastic bowl to take on board or am I missing something seeing as our cabins have only ever had showers?

Sandy in Spain

I'm the opposite I go for the cold water. Since keeping frozen water bottles is impossible on a ship, I take the water from the ice bucket - usually melted by that time of day, but still icy cold & pour it into water bottles. Then you roll those with your feet - feels great. Sometimes you do have to get more ice from the bar, but they're usually good with giving it out.

You know those days when you´ve been out and about in a new port, walking here, there and everywhere on hard pavements or even worse cobbbled pavements and you get back to the comfort of the ship, but your feet and ankles feel totally worn out. At home I´d soak my feet in lovely scented hot water and let the aches and pains go away, but what do you do onboard? Buy a cheapie plastic bowl to take on board or am I missing something seeing as our cabins have only ever had showers?

Sandy in Spain

I like your idea of bringing along a plastic bowl................makes sense!

I use an over the counter gel called Arnica gel, available at many pharmacies. It's cool to the touch when you put it on, and you are massaging your feet to get it to absorb.

I'm on my feet a lot with 2 jobs, so I use it a lot. Never have taken it on a cruise, though, I don't walk and stand nearly as much on a cruise, even going on excursions and walking around the ship all day. OK, I confess to sitting and reading a lot on a cruise ;)

I use an over the counter gel called Arnica gel, available at many pharmacies. It's cool to the touch when you put it on, and you are massaging your feet to get it to absorb.

I'm on my feet a lot with 2 jobs, so I use it a lot. Never have taken it on a cruise, though, I don't walk and stand nearly as much on a cruise, even going on excursions and walking around the ship all day. OK, I confess to sitting and reading a lot on a cruise ;)

I forgot all about Arnica. We used to take Arnica pills before a long hike to help with sore muscles. Thanks for the reminder and letting me know about the gel.

Whether it's a port excursion, a land vacation tramping through cathedrals and castles, or a day in a WDW park, sore achy feet at the end of the day seems to be the norm for me. :( Here are a few things that have really helped me:

1. Orthotics. When I bought my last pair of walking shoes, the shoe store clerk recommended that I try various types of orthotics to slip into my shoes. After a few tries I found the BarefoodScience inserts to be perfect for me (I've got quite high arches). Even walking miles every day in Japan, my feet felt SO much better. My knees were another story.

2. Ice. Helps me much better than heat to reduce any swelling. I'll lie down and elevate my feet on a few pillows while the ice does its thing.

3. Body Shop Peppermint foot lotion. I'm not sure if the peppermint has all that much to do with it, but it feels wonderfully cool and tingly. Or maybe it's just the massaging of the foot that is the effective part. But it sure feels good. Feels even better if you can have your spouse do the foot massage. :p

For me, a good and thorough foot massage seems to do the trick. I generally do it myself, with whatever lotion or cream I have on hand (doesn't have to be medicated). I'm like a new person afterwards!

Edited by DonnaK

I'm sorry but the hot tub just doesn't appeal, I think it might be quite tricky just sitting on the edge when other people were using it.

On the other hand a scented foot massage.....

Sandy in Spain

A foot massage or a pedicure would be the luxury way to go.Always available onboard.

I didn't know that foot massages were available onboard? How much does it typically cost, and for how many minutes? And can you get one without a pedicure? (I'm sure it's more expensive than the one I get at the foot spa locally for $25 an hour)

Have you tried wearing compression socks? When I'm my feet all day at work, I always wear them. They improve circulation which helps with soreness. They also provide a lot of support when you're walking on uneven pavements. You can usually get them at a local pharmacy or I've ordered them online before at sites like brightlifedirect.com. There are definitely more choices online in style - they look like normal socks, just have some hidden benefits! Hope that helps

You may want to use it someplace else ! :D

Cato :)

Proper footwear for your activity is a necessity. If you are doing a lot of walking, flip flops, cute sandals, wedges, are NOT the way to go. You need something that supports your arch and has enough cushioning in the sole to absorb the shocks/abuse the pavement/trails/cobbles hand out. I'm always amazed at some of the footwear I see on women on vacation out and about. Kind of like Gloria of Modern Family, wanting to wear those high wedges to Disneyland, ending up in such pain that she goes in for a pair of BigFoot slippers...

3. Body Shop Peppermint foot lotion. I'm not sure if the peppermint has all that much to do with it, but it feels wonderfully cool and tingly. Or maybe it's just the massaging of the foot that is the effective part. But it sure feels good. Feels even better if you can have your spouse do the foot massage. :p

Yes, the peppermint does help. It cools the tissue and helps with inflamation. Plus it feels great. You can just buy a small jar of essential peppermint oil and add a drop or two to your regular lotion and massage in. Its very inexpensive but still effective. Helps with sore calves too.

Have you tried wearing compression socks? When I'm my feet all day at work, I always wear them. They improve circulation which helps with soreness. They also provide a lot of support when you're walking on uneven pavements. You can usually get them at a local pharmacy or I've ordered them online before at sites like brightlifedirect.com. There are definitely more choices online in style - they look like normal socks, just have some hidden benefits! Hope that helps

I have suggested compression socks to my wife for 20 years, not only for flying but also when doing a lot of walking on excursions. On our last trip ( the first time she used them ) which included a 15 hour flight and three days walking Rome all she could say was WOW. happy cruising

Sandy in Spain

Bring a tube of biofreeze with you....after a tough day on an excursion it is a nice way for a simple foot massage.

Or dip those feet in the hot tub for a few minutes.

I do both, first the bio freeze when I return to my cabin....then off to pool and hot tub.

Compression socks!

I wear them on the flight and in the evenings after a long day of walking. Be sure to get the right size, so that they don't cut off your circulation. Your local pharmacy or medical supply shop should have them -- maybe $4-5 a pair.

And wear shoes with arch support and laces, so that you can adjust the fit throughout the day, and that you aren't using your toes to keep them on.