Ryndam Review December 22 to 29. 2013

superoma

Western Caribbean, from Tampa, FL

I have done a review on the Cruise Critic review page but thought I would post here as well since not everyone that comes to this page goes to the reviews.

This was our first Christmas cruise ever. We enjoyed ourselves and may do this again. The Ryndam is one of the smaller ships in the HAL fleet and we find her size to be just right. It was easy to see the same people again and again, not like on a big ship. The ship was decorated for Christmas and everyone was in a festive mood. Mama Lou was on our sailing and will be on the sailing for New Year’s as well. She is a very interesting lady and extremely sharp. She is 90 years old now and has been cruising HAL for 18.5 years. The crew love her and dote on her.

We had a small Cruise Critic Meet and Greet. 14 people attended. Seattle had scheduled us for The Mix. The area was not ideal but it served our purpose. The only problem was Seattle neglected to let the ship know about our meeting so no crew came by and no coffee and cookies were served. The Beverage Manager called to apologize when I made the Front Desk aware of the oversight and was ready to schedule another meeting for us. I declined but thanked him for the offer. I really just wanted them to let Seattle know that they had messed up. Our meeting went well without the cookies but a visit from a Staff member would have been nice.

Cabin 628 – I had bought an HH guarantee, fully obstructed outside and we were placed in an unobstructed outside. That was nice. The cabin was in good shape. Everything worked. The toilet was a little slow occasionally but it always flushed. I set the air conditioner when we entered and never touched it again. It remained at a constant comfortable temperature until the last two days. Then the cabin would warm up until the air kicked in. Others had issues with their air, some never getting it to work. They were provided with fans. I cannot quote room numbers, I wish I could, but these comments were all heard in passing or while waiting at the front desk for other information.

One member of the Cruise Critic group did have to get moved from their cabin. On returning from Key West, the toilet in their cabin was spewing water, flooding right out the door. Maintenance had a hard time shutting off the water. On two occasions, the water in our cabin ran a tan colour before it became clear. Not sure what that was but I noted it on my survey.

Several areas of the ship were quite cold. The Showroom at Sea was always like an icebox. The library and Explorations café were also quite cold. The balance is certainly off in how the air conditioning works. I was told by one of the front office staff that the Ryndam is going into dry dock in March of 2014 but he couldn’t tell me what was being done – only soft goods or more extensive repairs. The furnishings in our cabin looked fine as did much of the public space. There are chairs that have seen better days but generally everything looked pretty good.

Food – We ate in the Lido most nights and only made the dining room on the formal nights. There was prime rib on the first formal night and 3 people at our table ordered it. Not one was able to finish it since it was very sinewy. The second formal night had surf and turf. The lobster was a good size but the turf was small, but it was very tender. The first 48 hours in the lido under code orange went much better than I expected with no long lines and the code was lifted after 48 hours. We seem to have a healthy ship. Because food is so subjective, no further comments are necessary. We enjoyed our food and had lots of choices.

There were many multi generational family groups on board. We were told that there were 150 children. For the most part, they were well behaved. I didn’t run into any elevator issues or running children or really loud children either.

The Ryndam had three shows most nights – 6:30. 8:00 and 10:00. This worked well since the Showroom is not very large.

Listen to the Music – cast introduction (Only one show) - enjoyed

Rock Legends – Ryndam cast – did not see

Rich Purpura – comedian, mind reader – did not enjoy

Classique – Ryndam cast - enjoyed

Dave Hempstad – Comedian - enjoyed

Droom – Ryandam Cast - enjoyed

Dancing with the Stars finale (only one show) – did not see

Happy hours were in the Ocean bar from 4 to 5 pm and the 9 to 10pm or 10 to 11pm in the Crow’s Nest. This varied from one day to the next. It is buy one get one for $1 more.

Lounges

Explorer’s Lounge – Adagio – Piano and violin - enjoyed

Ocean Bar – The Neptunes

Mix – Solo Guitarist – Terry - enjoyed

Piano Bar – Jamm

The Halcats – on deck and the Crow’s Nest – actually quite good

Cruise Director – Rick

We had booked no excursions, preferring to get off at each port and wander. However, if you do this cruise, do yourself a favour and book an excursion in Santo Tomas, Guatemala. There is a port building with some souvenir shopping and some entertainment and food but there isn’t much else. We booked a trolley excursion at the last minute. It was one hour and took us to Porto Bario where we saw some of the city and how the local people live. We had a very good guide, a local teacher, who does these tours while the winter vacation is on. School is out from November to the middle of January.

Santo Tomas gave us the best send off of all the ports. The locals congregated on the pier, danced for us, played music and as we pulled away from the dock honked the horns of the cars and busses parked at the pier. They love the cruise ships and are really a very friendly people.

Sadly the pillow chocolates are just little golden squares of milk chocolate, not as good as before but as RuthC would say, still chocolate!! We received a blue HAL bag on our second night and I won a bottle of champagne at the Future Cruise presentation. The Champagne this cruise has been better than on the last couple of cruises. They seem to have changed their brand.

Being Canadian we were invited to a Commonwealth Party in the Crow’s Nest. We were provided with appetizers and buy one get one for $1 drinks. This is the first time we have seen a Commonwealth Party although others told us they have been to them before. Different happenings on different ships, I guess.

There were two Mariner Brunches. Ours was early in the week on the first sea day (two star) and people we met who were 4 star had theirs on the last sea day. I can only imagine we have lots of Mariners aboard.

For the Non US citizens reading this, I should tell you we had a strange disembarkation routine. First, we were not eligible to do self disembarkation. The walk off option was limited to US citizens only. Then on Saturday, after we had already completed our requests for a disembarkation time, we were left a letter that we would have to appear in the Wajang Theater at 6:45 am on Sunday to meet with Immigration officials. The ship could not be cleared until all non US citizens had been interviewed.

This has never happened at Miami, Fort Lauderdale or Boston. There, we were allowed to walk off and both Customs and Immigration were done in the terminal. I wish we had known about the early timing before we requested a disembarkation time since I would then have picked an earlier time. So, non citizens, be prepared for this type of disembarkation in Tampa. A native Floridian suggested it might have to do with the fact that McDill Air Force base is right by the port but I can't confirm that.

I have tried to post about things that would interest everyone. If anyone has any specific questions, please post and I will try to answer them.

Edited by superoma
line spacing

Great review. Thanks for all the details.

What a shame about your meet and greet. That happened to me once. It's a Seattle thing supposedly, but the strange thing is I had the confirmation letter in my cabin. I'm sure you had fun just the same.

Disembarkation sounds very intriguing (but YUCK). It's good that you gave the heads up for others.

You pointed out some good things for all of us.

So, my big question is - DID YOU HAVE FUN??? Did you like Christmas on the ship - anything special or memorable?

And of course - Welcome Home:)

Great review. Thanks for all the details.

What a shame about your meet and greet. That happened to me once. It's a Seattle thing supposedly, but the strange thing is I had the confirmation letter in my cabin. I'm sure you had fun just the same.

Disembarkation sounds very intriguing (but YUCK). It's good that you gave the heads up for others.

You pointed out some good things for all of us.

So, my big question is - DID YOU HAVE FUN??? Did you like Christmas on the ship - anything special or memorable?

And of course - Welcome Home:)

Ah, Kazu, I guess I left out the most important part. Yes we did have fun, met some really nice people who we will stay in touch with and best of all, I spent lots of time with Mama Lou. She is fascinating.

this cruise was the perfect filler for the week before we got access to our Florida rental and may become a tradition each year.

this cruise was the perfect filler for the week before we got access to our Florida rental and may become a tradition each year.

Sounds like a good plan! Great way to start your Florida stay. We were on the Ryndam on the cruise right before yours. There was a rumor going around that the Christmas week cruise would have 450 kids. Glad there were only 150. I think the rumor was started by one of the comedians!:)

Glad you had a good cruise.

Did you have the explore4 promo? Do you know if it has even started yet?

We did not have explore4 and I really don't know if it has started. The Pinnacle was never busy when we went by so if that is an indication, maybe it hasn't started yet.

The Ryndam had three shows most nights – 6:30. 8:00 and 10:00. This worked well since the Showroom is not very large.

Listen to the Music – cast introduction (Only one show) - enjoyed

Rock Legends – Ryndam cast – did not see

Rich Purpura – comedian, mind reader – did not enjoy

Classique – Ryndam cast - enjoyed

Dave Hempstad – Comedian - enjoyed

Droom – Ryandam Cast - enjoyed

Dancing with the Stars finale (only one show) – did not see

Lounges

Explorer’s Lounge – Adagio – Piano and violin - enjoyed

Ocean Bar – The Neptunes

Mix – Solo Guitarist – Terry - enjoyed

Piano Bar – Jamm

The Halcats – on deck and the Crow’s Nest – actually quite good

Cruise Director – Rick

Thank you so much for including the entertainment info from your cruise. It's much appreciated.

I love knowing who the performers are in the show lounge, and who is in the various lounges on board.

Welcome back, and glad you had a good time.

Thank you for the review. We have been thinking of going on a cruise on Ryndam, sounds like it would be fun.

She is a great little ship who still has her seaview pool and no cabanas at the lido pool so she seems very uncrowded. Our sailing was fully booked and we never felt crowded.

She is a great little ship who still has her seaview pool and no cabanas at the lido pool so she seems very uncrowded. Our sailing was fully booked and we never felt crowded.

So valauble to have a measured, intelligent, and well-written, review instead of the too-common inane boosterism and excuse-making. Hope your fine example encourages others.

Many thanks

The first 48 hours in the lido under code orange went much better than I expected with no long lines and the code was lifted after 48 hours.

We are booked on this ship for 1/26 and wondered what a code orange was. Thanks for a great review!

We are booked on this ship for 1/26 and wondered what a code orange was. Thanks for a great review!

The first 48 hours on every HAL ship is run as Code Orange to see if the ship is healthy. That means everything in the lido is served to you, no self serve, no salt and pepper on the table, no baskets of rolls in the MDR on the table, etc. Even coffee, tea, water, lemonade is served to you. If, after 48 hours, there are no issues with norovirus, the lido becomes a help yourself buffet. It is just a precaution and seems to work mostly.

"Code Red" is when there is norovirus on board and in addition to not serving yourself, the ship goes into ultra clean mode with handrails, elevator buttons, etc, being cleaned with a special solution almost continuously.

Hope this helps

The first 48 hours on every HAL ship is run as Code Orange to see if the ship is healthy. That means everything in the lido is served to you, no self serve, no salt and pepper on the table, no baskets of rolls in the MDR on the table, etc. Even coffee, tea, water, lemonade is served to you. If, after 48 hours, there are no issues with norovirus, the lido becomes a help yourself buffet. It is just a precaution and seems to work mostly.

"Code Red" is when there is norovirus on board and in addition to not serving yourself, the ship goes into ultra clean mode with handrails, elevator buttons, etc, being cleaned with a special solution almost continuously.

Hope this helps

For example, if one boards on Sunday, the 'Code Orange' will be lifted for meals, in the Lido, commencing at lunch on Wednesday! ;)

For example, if one boards on Sunday, the 'Code Orange' will be lifted for meals, in the Lido, commencing at lunch on Wednesday! ;)

No. If one boards on Sunday, Code Orange would normally be lifted at lunch on Tuesday.