Are your flights to Fort Lauderdale Impacted by Today/Tomorrow Storm?

Chelly

Adding to what Jacqui said to Cavediving, would you leave your home during a time when storms are causing major power outages that last for days? When the power goes out unless you are here to manage auxiliary heat from fireplaces or propane stoves you will have frozen water pipes, which will burst.

If you don't have auxiliary heat you have to drain your system so pipes won't burst.

Even with the heat on, when the temps are running at minus twenty-five degrees you can have frozen pipes so you have to be here.

It's easy to be smug when you live in the south and have no concept of what we have to put up with here.

Edited by sapper1

The storm is expected to be out of here by tomorrow afternoon...you may encounter delays upon arriving but should be ok for your Jan 4th flight (assuming the storm doesn't stall :eek:).

Thank you very much for your answer. This makes me a little more at ease.

But hey, it's weather and of course, as you say, it might stall. We'll see. After all, there's nothing we can do about it either.

Stay safe everyone who's affected.

If I didn't leave Calgary when the weather is bad I'd only get to leave about 3 months of the year. We've had one storm after the other here since mid October. I hesitate to say this but generally we don't lose power for days. After having the most expensive natural disaster in Canadian history (flooding) I'm afraid to say anything. All the best for those dealing with this storm.

Thanks...Looking out the windows now, I'm glad we're not travelling anytime soon. Dark...but against the street lights...the snow is blowing madly. I guess this coastal storm has been named Hercules. Enough said.

I am so grateful we don't have any air travel scheduled in the near future. Looking out our windows right now, if this is not officially a blizzard, it is close enough to make me happy to be safe and warm in our home. We have at least 12" of snow on the ground now and the worst of the storm has not yet hit.

Logan Airport closed at 8 P.M. and I hope no cruisers have missed their ship but likely at least some have. Who knows when they will open the airport and then when airlines will actually get back to anything of a regular schedule.

Anyone traveling through these bad weather states........ be careful and good luck.

I can’t say I quite understand the logic here.

You choose to stay at home and experience the worst of the weather rather than cruise and get away from it? And then you cruise when the weather is just great at home?

IMHO, it doesn’t seem to make an awful lot of sense. But then I guess it’s to each her own.

Scott & Karen

Cave Diving if you ever lived up North, you would find those who choose not to travel during the winter very logical.. We've lived through tremendous snowstorms up north & would rather be home to protect our house than travelling.. Several times our heat went out & we had to light a fire in the fireplace to keep the pipes from freezing & bursting..

Sometimes our neighbors had to shovel show off their roofs so it would not cave in..We were lucky, our roof had enough of a pitch that snow just fell off.. Also it's easier to clear the snow away from driveways & walks either during a storm or just after a snowstorm..

Otherwise, we could find a big pile of ice in our driveway put there by the snowplow or our car could be blocked in a snowdrift or the garage for days..:eek::eek:

DH just asked me if I missed the snow.. Sometimes I do especially during the Holidays but don't miss the work of shoveling my car out & driving to work in it..

Stay safe everyone & hope that you all will weather the storm without too many problems.. Please take extrasprecautions, when shoveling out & try to stay warm!

Hope those of you who have cruises will make them..

Betty

Edited by serendipity1499

P.S. I forgot about the snow & ice laden trees which have been known to blow over onto a nearby roof..:eek::eek:

Fortunately we never had that happen, but neighbors did & all our DH's & Son's were out cutting branches to get it off their roof..

They gave us free firewood..

Edited by serendipity1499

I am on the world cruise sailing out this Saturday. I kept an eye on my flight and when they issued a weather advisory starting at 1 a.m. About 8 hours before my flight, I flew out the day before (yesterday) on US Air and there was empty seats. I have learned that if you try to fly out after your flight is cancelled it can take days to get a new flight. The airlines usually will let you change your ticket without a fee if you do it online, if the airline issue a weather advisory. You have to fly in the dates they approve and fly to and from your original airport pairing

ImageUploadedByForums1388729414.401731.jpg.36ac8307e8b5329667aee5830cfe4616.jpg I'll chime in with the hope that people make their flights and get to their long awaited cruises on time. We had beginner's luck our first two cruises, which were both in February. Both times we left the afternoon before (due to my job couldn't get off earlier).

We didn't have any storms but "engine trouble" forced our supposed-to-be direct flight to land in North Carolina. Airline paid for a dumpy hotel room (and we were refused a refund for our money on our nice reservation in Ft. Lauderdale...because we couldn't cancel 24 hours in advance... grrrr).

But we did make the cruise so our story had a very lovely ending :)

I hope you're putting on sunscreen soon. Makes me happy just to know someone is enjoying a cruise!

Celebrity Millennium~Alaska~July 2014

Celebrity Reflection~Eastern Caribbean~February 2013

Crown Princess~Western Caribbean~February 2011

Airlines have learned their lesson..they now are very proactive about cancelling flights prior to a major storm, so their equiptment and crews don't get trapped and are in a better position to recover quicker after the storm has ceased

Most experienced cruisers in cold weather Cities plan for this and adjust their flight reservation to give them a buffer (going in 1-2 days early and an extra day upon their return)

For those leaving for their cruise this weekend from the impacted areas, travel safely, have extra patience at the airport, bring a snack for the overwhelmed airline gate agent and give them a smile.....

I've been taking a look at the flight info for NY airports and it sees only domestic flights are seriously affected. Long haul flights seem te be ok.

Does anyone have some more info about the coming days? I'm really getting nervous as I've seen some flights from the Tri-State area to FLL being cancelled...

Maybe see if you can change your flight from Belgium to Miami or Orlando, then you can easily rent a car and drive to Fort Lauderdale - just to be on the safe side. FL will not be affected by the snow storm system.

As you quoted my post - and find it difficult to understand - let me explain that where I live, we don't have the "worst of weather" that others experience but I choose to stay home during the winter partly due to the impact of bad weather in other areas on flights. (The "trickle-down" effect that I mentioned). I thought I was clear, but obviously not. My choice, sorry that doesn't make sense to you.

I think a lot of people don't realize that pilots run out of hours or get grounded in other locations due to bad weather, so it can affect even states with good conditions. I learned this after getting trapped on the east coast in August one year due to severe thunderstorms. By the time the storm cleared up the pilots were simply out of hours allowed to be awake and flying.

We've been delayed by weather in the past, and it's definitely not fun! However, b/c we are both still working stiffs, we don't have the option of leaving 2 or 3 days earlier. I'm lucky to be able to fly out the night before the cruise!

We are lucky though, our kids live nearby, and will take care of the house for us when we're gone!

My parents head south for the entire winter, and they prepare the house for shutdown - drain the water pipes, cancel mail, phone, newspaper, etc... and they have house insurance! I hope to be able to do the same thing when I retire. Maybe it's b/c I do a lot of driving for my job, and I get very tired of the cold and snow and treacherous driving conditions - but I have no desire to stick around for the harsh winter once I've retired! :)

Thank you very much for your answer. This makes me a little more at ease.

But hey, it's weather and of course, as you say, it might stall. We'll see. After all, there's nothing we can do about it either.

Stay safe everyone who's affected.

Good news for you...JFK airport has reopened....the sun is out but it is bitter cold....12 degrees! You are probably already enroute. Have a great cruise!

Trip Insurance!!:rolleyes:

Agree...Trip Insurance is so important.

We are scheduled to fly out from Seattle two days before our B2B cruise to the Caribbean (Ft. Lauderdale). Usually we have a connecting flight, but since we just opened up an Alaska Air credit card...we were able to use flier miles for a direct flight from Seattle to Ft. Lauderdale. I wasn't even aware that direct flights were available.

The weather this winter has been extreme...even in Texas! I do hope most people booked for their cruises make it to the ship on time. Yes, it is good, if you have the time and money to arrive at least two days early.

It is wholly possible that Seattle could get a dump of snow at the end of the month...our temps fluctuate like crazy...in the low 30's for a few days and then up to 50 degrees later! Never know what to expect here! And this city literally 'shuts down' if we get more than 6 or 7 inches of snow!

Hi

Everyone should check and see where the flight is coming from. Most flights today have numerous city. It may be sunny in Boston but that flight from chicago has a big snow storm. So your flight is stuck in Chicage and your flight to Florida is stuck in Boston.

Ok so you in Boston there a big storm coming to Boston Its Tuesday so you get a early flight out because Boston will be closed. You get to Florida ok but every hotel is taken because the whole east coast airports are closed because Florida fax are stuck in Florida. where do you stay?

this is why I always go atleast 4 days usually a Tuesday for a friday cruise

Mary

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]I never thought of staying home to protect my home. I'm not saying that's wrong, just that it never occurred to me. One of the things I love about our new community is that someone else does the plowing. We always had someone to do it, but we had to wait for him to come. We wait here too, but we know it will get done.[/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='bob c'] What happens to people who miss the departure, do they just lose all the money they paid for the cruise or is there some consideration for weather delays?[/QUOTE]

If it's feasible for them, they can meet the ship in the first port of call.

[quote name='Arwen']
We are scheduled to fly out from Seattle two days before our B2B cruise to the Caribbean (Ft. Lauderdale). Usually we have a connecting flight, but since we just opened up an Alaska Air credit card...we were able to use flier miles for a direct flight from Seattle to Ft. Lauderdale. I wasn't even aware that direct flights were available.
[/QUOTE]

Do you mean a non-stop flight ? That's different than a direct flight.

Our son is an airline pilot and he said it is a real mess with flights right now. His aircraft wouldn't start this morning in ND. He's been trying to get home all day as his children are disapointed when he can't get home. He has been up since 3:00 am Monday and is finally on a flight home scheduled to be in at 1:30 am. I sure hope the weather will be okay when we travel in a little less than 3 weeks. I feel badly for anyone who can't get to their cruise ship on time. Especially if it will be us!

Diane Edited by legalslave

[SIZE=3][FONT=Verdana]We're in a blizzard warning here. High winds, cold temperatures, lots and lots of snow. The roads are closed and the county has pulled the plows off the roads. We ran the snowblower twice yesterday to clear the driveway - both times there was almost a foot of snow to clear.
I wish I was going on a cruise, but we couldn't get to the airport anyway. We'll just stay in by the fire. I feel sorry for the dog because he has to go out to do his 'business'.
[/FONT][/SIZE]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]I heard last night that jet Blue was closing down all operations until 3pm today in order to let the pilots rest and to catch up on the missed schedules. In other words, to get the planes where they need to be.[/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=5]Pittsburgh right now -- all flights will be delayed for several hours due to extreme cold and high winds (-7 with a wind chill of -35).[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=5][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=5]To get to Ft Lauderdale or most anywhere -- you have to use connecting flights.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=5]Thus people who had early flights will not make their connections.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=5]So it is a bad situation here as well.[/SIZE][/FONT]