Are your flights to Fort Lauderdale Impacted by Today/Tomorrow Storm?

Chelly

Logan Airport, Boston is closing from 8 p.m. tonight until noon tomorrow (Friday). Flights all over the Northeast are being cancelled. I know several folks on my Saturday sailing are coming from the Northeast. How are you all doing? Anyone's travel affected?

Even though we are not to get as much snow here in Pittsburgh as other areas, already 12 flights have been cancelled.

This storm is going to cause many people to face cancelled flights and trying to scramble to get to their destinations.

I feel sorry for people who may miss their ships.

This is one of the reasons we don't cruise at this time of year - although I would love to. There is just too much uncertainty with flights and there's a trickle-down effect, even if you are flying out of an area with no snowstorm. I get uptight enough at the thought of flying, so don't need any more complications:(. I just hope everyone makes it to their ship on time.

This is one of the reasons we don't cruise at this time of year - although I would love to. There is just too much uncertainty with flights and there's a trickle-down effect, even if you are flying out of an area with no snowstorm. I get uptight enough at the thought of flying, so don't need any more complications:(. I just hope everyone makes it to their ship on time.

I HOPE SO TOO :eek:

It's a bit easier for us because we are retired, but we always plan for a few days in Florida before our cruise. Next month, we fly out on Tuesday for a Saturday embarkation. We just view it as part of our overall vacation package.

Yea where you are that makes sense. In Raleigh it is very unusual for significant snow.

I always fly to the cruise departure port two days ahead of the cruise departure date and am going on the Holland American this year Jan. 17th leaving from Boston to Tampa. This storm has me wondering now if even two days ahead is enough. What happens to people who miss the departure, do they just lose all the money they paid for the cruise or is there some consideration for weather delays?

It's a bit easier for us because we are retired, but we always plan for a few days in Florida before our cruise. Next month, we fly out on Tuesday for a Saturday embarkation. We just view it as part of our overall vacation package.

We do the same, It takes a few days to warm up in Florida after leaving the Midwest.

I believe that you would lose your money if you missed your flight due to weather delays. I think this is why many people choose to book airfare through HAL and buy insurance!

I always fly to the cruise departure port two days ahead of the cruise departure date and am going on the Holland American this year Jan. 17th leaving from Boston to Tampa. This storm has me wondering now if even two days ahead is enough. What happens to people who miss the departure, do they just lose all the money they paid for the cruise or is there some consideration for weather delays?

I hope so, too. This time of year is dicey.

We leave Boston three days in advance of our cruise for this very reason. So far, we've been OK. But, if a storm was predicted when we fly out, we have allowed enough time to drive to Florida...I'd hate to be in that position, but it could happen.

This year, we cruise on 1/27. We're flying out on 1/23.

Edited by innlady1

I am really starting to feel it. I am leaving tomorrow from Brussels via Amsterdam to New York. I'll stay 1 day and Jan. 4, I'll take a flight from LGA to FLL. I really hope it'll all be ok. I'm checking weather updates by the minute now.

I hope everyone makes their cruise.

This is a time window we often could be cruising. For various reasons, we have no cruises this winter (yet) but I would be very nervous with the almost 2' of snow we expect to get in our immediate area. We already have about 9" on the ground and the worst of the storm still has not arrived.

I am very happy we are not stressing about air travel tonight. :eek:

The few times in the past when we had warning storms were approaching, we changed our air flights early on (while still possible) and got out of Boston before the storm hit. Been lucky ...... so far.

We always do two or three days pre-cruise in embarkation port.

Edited by sail7seas

Logan Airport, Boston is closing from 8 p.m. tonight until noon tomorrow (Friday). Flights all over the Northeast are being cancelled...

This is one of the reasons we don't cruise at this time of year - although I would love to. There is just too much uncertainty with flights and there's a trickle-down effect, even if you are flying out of an area with no snowstorm...

I can’t say I quite understand the logic here.

You choose to stay at home and experience the worst of the weather rather than cruise and get away from it? And then you cruise when the weather is just great at home?

IMHO, it doesn’t seem to make an awful lot of sense. But then I guess it’s to each her own.

Scott & Karen

Call your airline and ask the question can you fly out on an earlier flight if there is a storm coming, like the day before. A lot of airlines will allow you to do this, but you need to know their rules.

You choose to stay at home and experience the worst of the weather rather than cruise and get away from it? And then you cruise when the weather is just great at home?

IMHO, it doesn’t seem to make an awful lot of sense. But then I guess it’s to each her own.

Scott & Karen

As you quoted my post - and find it difficult to understand - let me explain that where I live, we don't have the "worst of weather" that others experience but I choose to stay home during the winter partly due to the impact of bad weather in other areas on flights. (The "trickle-down" effect that I mentioned). I thought I was clear, but obviously not. My choice, sorry that doesn't make sense to you.

I hope so, too. This time of year is dicey.

We leave Boston three days in advance of our cruise for this very reason. So far, we've been OK. But, if a storm was predicted when we fly out, we have allowed enough time to drive to Florida...I'd hate to be in that position, but it could happen.

This year, we cruise on 1/27. We're flying out on 1/23.

Sounds like a sensible plan, Sheila. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.:)

Sounds like a sensible plan, Sheila. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.:)

Thanks...Looking out the windows now, I'm glad we're not travelling anytime soon. Dark...but against the street lights...the snow is blowing madly. I guess this coastal storm has been named Hercules. Enough said.

I've been taking a look at the flight info for NY airports and it sees only domestic flights are seriously affected. Long haul flights seem te be ok.

Does anyone have some more info about the coming days? I'm really getting nervous as I've seen some flights from the Tri-State area to FLL being cancelled...

Trip Insurance!!:rolleyes:

I am really starting to feel it. I am leaving tomorrow from Brussels via Amsterdam to New York. I'll stay 1 day and Jan. 4, I'll take a flight from LGA to FLL. I really hope it'll all be ok. I'm checking weather updates by the minute now.

I hope everyone makes their cruise.

The storm is expected to be out of here by tomorrow afternoon...you may encounter delays upon arriving but should be ok for your Jan 4th flight (assuming the storm doesn't stall :eek:).

I agree - I hope everyone makes it.

Scott & Karen

Yes, we choose to stay at home when we know that the odds are slim we will get there. We cruise more for itinerary than the Caribbean so we only do the odd warm escape. Honestly, who wants to get away from it and come back and face it (that's assuming you can get out and get back).

If we do the Caribbean, then we prefer to go at the end of winter - (it's still cold enough thank you very much) when the risk of snow storms is less and know when we are coming back it will soon be spring.

No one around here was getting out anywhere for the last week. That's not my idea of fun. I am so grateful we had no travel plans last week or the upcoming few days. We've had horrendous storms, loss of power, the list goes on. We couldn't have gotten out if we wanted to. Sometimes it makes sense not to tangle with Mother Nature and to time your trips so that it is feasible you can get there. And yes, we always leave at least 2 days in advance - but that wouldn't have helped you in the last week and 1/2 here;):eek: