What to pack for May

beasooner

We are on NCL the last week of May, and was wondering what we should pack to wear, We know the dinner attire but were wondering what else would be needed

This is always what I suggest to people:

Note: The link is to my blog post about packing for an Alaska cruise.

http://www.embarkandaway.com/1/post/2013/07/packing-for-an-alaska-cruise.html

Hi-

That's just when we went--around Memorial Day. It was in the 50s, so be sure to pack warm stuff. Hopefully, you'll have better weather than we did (it was overcast or rained the whole week). (We heard the following week was much better.) This is what I wore:

* Jeans every day

* Sweatshirt w/ light jacket for the ports

* Raincoat and umbrella in Ketchikan (it always rains there)

* If you're taking a camera, you might want covering to protect it from the rain. (My husband used a disposable shower cap!)

* Down jacket, hat and gloves the day we were in Glacier Bay (it was in the 40s and raining)

I just did a posting on Alaska on my blog, if you're interested. It's at http://musingaboutcruising.blogspot.com.

Let me know if you have any questions. - Diana

I don't like jeans for Alaska, too bulky, take forever to dry, tend to get and stay damp. I do spend all my time out doors. Works fine depending on your style of travel.

Packing is the same the entire cruise season. a lightweight lined jacket, hat gloves, rain gear, water resistant/proof attire is a priority. two pair of walking shoes. Cruise ship meals on my Alaska visits is of the lowest priority for me. Depends on you what you bring.

I always do laundry, greatly cuts down on bulk. Zote soap is my utmost "friend". :) (for some rinsing in the sink)

In past years some folks have posted their packing lists for Alaska, and then after the cruise, posted what they DIDN'T use. Very interesting. Perhaps the Cruise Critic search function could help find these posts.

Layers are the key. But I believe that folks need a waterproof (not water resistant) outer layer. If shopping for jewelry is the most activity a person plans, then using a water resistant spray on sneakers may work for footwear, but if you plan to be active at all then you will need waterproof footwear. And since some of the Alaska cruise ports are quite windy (I don't think I have ever been in Skagway when it wasn't windy), I've found umbrellas to be useless (plus, the cruise ships which I have been on have them in the staterooms anyway).

My experience in Alaska in May requires wearing layers. I recommend a lightweight, UnderArmour 1.0 base, warm shirt, wind-resistant jacket with available hood, and a poncho for serious rain. The Under Armour can be washed by hand and dried in an hour or so each evening.

Warm socks are a must for May. Merrell makes some nice waterproof hiking shoes/boots if you are going off of the beaten path. Kightweight water-resistant gloves come in handy if you are going whale watching in the elements.

All of the above should be hitting the sales racks in the next 60 days.

I always take clothes for layering: several long sleeve T's, 3 sweatshirts/pullovers/sweaters, a fleece pullover, jeans, khakis,1 pr sneakers, 1 pr walking shoes, gloves, and most important is a waterproof hooded jacket. I carry a day pack so I have someplace to store the layers during the day as the weather changes. The pack also provides a place to store my wallet, camera, binoculars, water bottle, snacks, poncho.

For a boat tour or glacier viewing, I wear lined nylon jogging pants ... they help protect against the cold and wind.

If you're someone who feels the cold easily, pack long underwear, top and bottom.

My experience in Alaska in May requires wearing layers. I recommend a lightweight, UnderArmour 1.0 base, warm shirt, wind-resistant jacket with available hood, and a poncho for serious rain. The Under Armour can be washed by hand and dried in an hour or so each evening.

Warm socks are a must for May. Merrell makes some nice waterproof hiking shoes/boots if you are going off of the beaten path. Kightweight water-resistant gloves come in handy if you are going whale watching in the elements.

All of the above should be hitting the sales racks in the next 60 days.

Yes, layering is a good idea.

I would also suggest packing layers. From t-shirts to hoodies to sweaters to raincoats to hats and gloves. I went on my cruise to Alaska in May 2013 and I made sure to pack layers. Most of the time I was ok with a just a t-shirt and hoodie. However, we were very lucky and had excellent weather most of the time we were there (it only rained 1 day for about 2 hours). We did need a coat and hats and gloves when we were in Glacier Bay and at Hubbard Glacier.

You just never know what the weather is going to be like. I was walking to the ship in Juneau from town and I had to take my hoodie off because I was so warm! I was speaking with family on the phone during my walk and it was warmer in Alaska then it was at home in Michigan :)

You can't go wrong with packing layers :)

Do you think waterproof pants are a necessity? I am trying to decide whether to buy them or not.

I don't. I have probably cruised 10x in May and have no desire to buy them.

I wear jeans every day (love jeans), regular New Balance athletic shoes, I layer during the day - usually tshirt under a sweat shirt and then either a fleece jacket or my lands end rain jacket which is a rubbery warm jacket and bring a backpack with me that contains gloves and ear protection. When I have to remove the layers, they go in my backpack. I also wear the same socks I wear back home (socks from Sam's Club). Nothing special.

This has worked very well for me.

One thing I love about Alaska is the casual clothes that can be worn. One rule I have learned the last few years is to not over think clothing articles.:) There are clothes that you will want to change every day, then there are clothes that can be worn for several days such as sweat shirts over t-shirts and jackets. You must think about what is important to you at home on a daily basis.

I take two black slacks for dinners. Then take shirts that can be rotated. Believe me no one cares if you are wearing the same clothes and you are only wearing them for a short time in the evening.

Also remember that every port has many different types of Alaska clothing that will need a spot in your suit case! :)

If you're just typical pseudo-active Americans then just bring your sweatshirt, jeans and rain poncho. If you're really an active person then you know what to bring. I like to hike in the rain since 99% of the crowd runs for cover.

Tom

Do you think waterproof pants are a necessity? I am trying to decide whether to buy them or not.

After several Alaska cruises and my jeans getting soaked below my long waterproof windbreaker (usually in Ketchikan), I purchased a very reasonable pair of waterproof pants from Cabella's to pull up over my jeans. Kept dry ever since.

One thing I love about Alaska is the casual clothes that can be worn. One rule I have learned the last few years is to not over think clothing articles.:) There are clothes that you will want to change every day, then there are clothes that can be worn for several days such as sweat shirts over t-shirts and jackets. You must think about what is important to you at home on a daily basis.

I take two black slacks for dinners. Then take shirts that can be rotated. Believe me no one cares if you are wearing the same clothes and you are only wearing them for a short time in the evening.

Also remember that every port has many different types of Alaska clothing that will need a spot in your suit case! :)

I just watched your Alaska video...some of the most beautiful photographs ever!

Edited by AryMay

I just watched your Alaska video...some of the most beautiful photographs ever!

Thank you! That was a dream vacation for us. It was a B2B with 19 people the first week and 6 people the second week. I would go every year if the finances could handle it!!:)

I've been there twice in May. In 2003, we had sunny weather (cruise only) and temps 50-70's. In 2013 we had snow in Denali but 70's in Skagway. Another person I know arrived in Anchorage the day we came home (May 29) and it was 89 degrees.

So there is lots of variance in temp and weather. Only good thing is Alaska is all casual, all the time. My friend brought her down parka and boots which she used. I made do with a heavier rain coat and a heavy hoodie underneath. I stayed dry and warm too.

Sue

Instead of jeans, I wore ski pants for our May Alaska cruise. They are warm and waterproof. Seems like there is water on every seat in Alaska. :)

Now is a great time to hit up your local big box sports store (Academy Sports) as they are starting to clearance out ski wear.

Look at where people are from in judging their reply relative to your experience.

Coming from Minnesota I can tell you the "feel" of the weather is really relative to what you are used to. In the fall 50° feels cold - people are wearing long sleeves here - in the spring after we have had -50° windchills - 50° feels warm - people are wearing shorts!

So if you are coming from a warm climate and warm spring the same temperature will feel colder to you than to someone who just got through a cold winter.