Duct tape...

pbnjrockette

We have used small pieces to tape drawers shut when seas were rough and they kept opening and banging closed. We have taped closet doors closed for the same reason. I used tiny pieces once to secure a few inches of hem on my skirt that I found hanging when I dressed. :o I didn't have time to dig out my needle and thread right then.

If I have a drawer that won't stay shut, I'm going to call for someone to come fix it, not try to cob job a solution myself.

At least on our last two ships there were catches that kept the drawers from sliding around and doors from opening. I would assume they would be on all ships, but I guess not.

Instead of duct tape, why not bring along those felt dots so that the drawers don't bang? Duct tape leaves as sticky residue but the dots could just be left in place.

Autocorrect responsible for most typos...

Edited by ducklite

I have never taken it and never needed it. I sleep though the noise and I take a small mending kit. We've never had a broken suitcase, but we do use locking luggage belts as an identifier, so I guess that would keep a case closed. If my case were so trashed I had to duct tape it, I would probably trash it and buy a new one. Cheap suitcases are available on most cruise ships.

I've only used it once at home in 24 years of living in this house. When we replaced our clothes dryer duct work.

We use Duct tape's superior cousin, Gaffer's tape.

You can get it at most big music stores that sell stage lights and studio gear.

The stuff goes on and sticks better than duct tape but can be removed with no residue left behind. It is also cloth based and a matte black color that does not reflect any light.

We carry about 15 feet of it macgyver style anywhere we go.

That being said I think we've never had to use it on a cruise, but it weighs nothing and is flat so it takes up no space.

First of all for banging drawers, etc. yes I ask for them to be fixed, but not at 2am. But I don't use duct tape, I use a little masking tape which I also bring. It holds well enough and then can be removed easily.

Duct tape can be bought in small flat packages so it's cheap, easy to pack and fixing a broken suit case is reason enough to carry it for me.

But I used it to stop the strap on my day pack from unraveling. I don't know if it would have totally failed but the duct tape avoid the problem.

We re-bound a book my husband and brought which started to fall apart.

We've used it to hold hotel curtains together when I forgot any type of clip.

I always carry a small portion of duct tape AND a bandana. Started way back when I was still a camper/backpacker. It has been in my travel luggage ever since. The duct tape has been used to re-hem a pair of pants, fix a rip in a daypack, fix a tear in my rain jacket, cover a blister, fix a broken tent pole, make padding (with tissues) for a headphone, cover a flash on a camera when I couldn't figure out how to turn it off… The bandana can serve as a quick head covering, a temporary tote, a cooler for my neck, a washcloth, a quick wrap to help keep a cut clean...

Edited by slidergirl

Painter's tape might be more suited to some of the uses listed here; it doesn't leave a sticky residue behind, which might be considered "damage" and be charged to your account. Just saying. :)

So true about the sticky residue. Excellent idea about the painters tape (I use it all the time at home).

I've always taken a small roll of duct tape and have only needed it once. After losing a contact lens :mad:, the next day my glasses broke :mad::mad:. Having to wear thick glasses with duct tape almost ruined my cruise but I chose not to let it. Very memoriable though :p.

You can turn any box into a suitcase with enough duct tape. Not sure if the flat-packs would have enough...

That is to say, make any box easy/easier to carry. Not that you would pack your clothes in a cardboard box! But maybe you buy a case of wine, or some heavy/bulky souvenir (in a box)... you wrap several times around each direction, then several times ABOVE the top and then wrap the "slack" area crosswise to cover the sticky for a handle.

Edited by crystalspin

I have often made the duct tape recommendation, just to poke fun at all the people who are bringing shoe organizers, their own hangers, etc. to cruises, or so they say on this site.

We have more than 30 cruises under our belt and we have never needed duct tape.

Of course there may be a first time . . .

I see it listed on so many packing "must have" lists but besides repairing a torn suitcase…what else do you use it for??

I have used it to keep cupboard doors from opening at night during choppy seas as well as keep drawers from opening and empty hangers from rattling.

But what I've used it the most for is the 'all that will' fit laundry special on NCL

since when stuffed full the bag sometimes tears, especially at the top. The tape solves that problem.

I always laughed at the duct tape thing, but for the first time we ARE bringing duct tape. A bright print color to wrap around our snorkels. It occurred to all of us that we spend as much time looking for each other in the water as we do snorkeling. I start to get nervous if I can't see where my family is in the open water. We will wrap a bright-colored duct tape near the top so that we can identify each other from afar :-)

I always laughed at the duct tape thing, but for the first time we ARE bringing duct tape. A bright print color to wrap around our snorkels. It occurred to all of us that we spend as much time looking for each other in the water as we do snorkeling. I start to get nervous if I can't see where my family is in the open water. We will wrap a bright-colored duct tape near the top so that we can identify each other from afar :-)

Great idea, but... Duct tape quickly loses it's stickiness when it gets wet.

Autocorrect responsible for most typos...