Nerves getting to you?

karri_jbear

This is my first cruise, my first time leaving the U.S.A and I am super excited abut it but I am starting to have a little nerves about it. Did anyone else feel the same and how did you over come them before you left? :o

It's only natural to be a little nervous or apprehensive about a new experience. But trust me, once you step on that ship you will not give it another thought!

You're only problem will then be........how soon can I book the next one.....:D

Hope you have a wonderful trip. There is NOTHING like your first cruise!!!

To quote one of my favourite lines

"It's an adventure Harry" You probably have to have seen the movie to fully understand it.

You are giving yourself a wonderful gift. A chance to experience a different culture which ever it may be, outside the bounds of your own nation.

Look at this as an opportunity to absorb and experience as much as you can.

Have a wonderful trip.

I got nervous last November for the Panama Canal cruise we took in December. NOT our first cruise, but the first I approached hoping to enjoy the cruising and not just get from here to there.

I coped with it by reading lots on here, joining my Roll Call, -- and making very specific packing lists and spreadsheets... but that is me -- I have the analytical brain!

To quote one of my favourite lines

"It's an adventure Harry" You probably have to have seen the movie to fully understand it.

You are giving yourself a wonderful gift. A chance to experience a different culture which ever it may be, outside the bounds of your own nation.

Look at this as an opportunity to absorb and experience as much as you can.

Have a wonderful trip.

Poseidon Adventure?

This is my first cruise, my first time leaving the U.S.A and I am super excited abut it but I am starting to have a little nerves about it. Did anyone else feel the same and how did you over come them before you left? :o

Well, you certainly have a terrific itinerary with port stops in Greece, Italy and Turkey. Pick up a guide book and research your ports. Read up on them on the Cruise Critic boards, plan some excursions with the ship.

Cruising the Europe is truly thrilling, every day waking up to another thrilling land, a new culture. You will have a spectacular time. Don't think twice about it, just enjoy yourself and have a terrific time.

Jonathan

There will be other Americans on board, but you'll be able to meet many people from different countries, and discover that people are pretty much the same the world over; some will also be nervous at being in strange lands, and feel out of their depth at first. You'll soon feel at home in this lovely ship, and will find that both the crew and other passengers are easy to talk to- that's the way it is on cruise ships.;)

The Med won't have warmed up yet in April, so be sure that you have a warm jacket especially for evenings out on deck, and some rain wear. Good shoes are a must, because some of the ports will have rough pavements or cobbled street.

We enjoyed Jade so much on our first cruise with her that we booked her again the next year.

Enjoy planning! :D

It is a bit hard for me to fully remember the way we felt before our first cruise (about forty years ago) but I think you will find that once you first spot your ship all that nervousness will turn into total excitement. DW and I have literally spend years as cruise ship passengers....but every time we start up the gangway at an embarkation port, the familiar wonderful feelings and excitement quickly appear as all the troubles of the real world seem to float away.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

We are only 55 days away from our first cruise and are very excited. Whilst we are very well travelled across Europe, USA and Asia it is a very different holiday for us. We are cruising the Caribbean so hope for better weather than we are currently enjoying although if this rain continues we may need to build a boat to get to work!! The med will just be warming up in April so pack a fleece for evening and you may get some rain but you will love it, so packed with history and beautiful places. Hope you have a lovely time

Yes, I was nervous before my first cruise, but my excitement was greater. Although it was not my first time outside the USA, just the thought about being on a big ship in the middle of the ocean was a little unnerving.

As a teenager I visited Paris and Madrid with my sister on a senior high school trip. I wasn't nervous at all (at least I don't remember being nervous), but I was just a dumb kid. What did I know? We flew to Paris and didn't even "realize or comprehend" the places we visited. Looking back on it we took it all for granted being in two great cities (to be honest I disliked everything in Paris except for the Eiffel Tower, Notre Dame, the Louvre and Marie Antoinette's house.) The bull fighting in Madrid made me feel really really bad for those little bulls!

Sorry, I am going on and on.

Relax and plan some excursions!! You will be going on a wonderful adventure!! Memories for a lifetime!!

To TruckerDave, you made me smile with your post. Thank you for your service!

Happy Cruising to all!

~Robin

Norwegian Breakaway 2014

Carnival Miracle 2010

Carnival Legend 2006

Every Day at Sea is a Great Day

On my first cruise, I was either 11 or 12, but I remember being a bundle of nerves. Not in a bad way, I was a bundle of excitement and because I was sooooo excited I was so nervous. We had a blast, I went with my dance studio & we actually performed on the ship. It was also kind of a family vacation because I danced with 3 of my cousins so it was myself, my mom, my grandma, my aunt, and my 3 cousins. It was definitely a vacation I will never forget, we were actually talking about it yesterday.

As far as going out of the country, our cruise was from Miami to Nassau and back, being that I was so young I didn't realize that technically we were in a different country, I realized it, but I guess at the time it just didn't seem like it because I don't remember dealing with passports or anything like that. I "officially" left the country back in October for work and was in Europe and the Persian Gulf area for 3 weeks. I was extremely nervous and not in a good way this time. I worked myself up and it was not good. I ended up having to take some medicine to get myself calmed down. Once we were on the plane I was fine.

Just remember, it's an adventure. I had to keep telling myself that it was a new adventure and I needed to relax. For me it was a psychological thing, I had myself so worked up about this trip that I made myself nervous, once I got myself calmed down and realized how awesome this trip was going to be (even though it was for work) I had an amazing time.

I'm an experienced cruiser with 19 cruises under my belt and finally booked my dream cruise to the Med last Sept on Celebrity Equinox. The thought of flying 9 hours had me so stressed I liost 6 lbs, and had insomnia and major anxiety.

It was the trip of a lifetime! Seeing sights I had dreamed of was worth every second of anguish. I am already planning to go back after my next 2 cruises. I think about that cruise every day. Have a wonderful time!

I am getting towards 30 cruises and I always have trouble sleeping the night before..! I do start my packing 2-3 weeks out to take some of the worrying out of possibly forgetting something...we are usually completely packed a few days before, so once 6pm rolls around my last day of work, I am officially on VACAY!!

Nerves or just super excited about your first cruise :)

My husband and I have traveled out of country every year for the past fifteen or twenty years, sometimes with our children, sometimes without.

Our next cruise departs Long Beach on Saturday this week. We're heading to the airport day after tomorrow.

I am so excited/nervous, I might throw up! Happens every time. I usually calm down after the flight day.

I was very nervous before my first cruise back in 2012. Enough to have bizarre, nightmare-like dreams multiple times a week, all of which were set on a cruise ship. And not the usual "oh no, I forgot my passport" kind, either. But once I saw my ship for the first time, all my worries vanished like a puddle on a hot day.

Yep, I was nervous before my first cruise and I am normally a calm person. Its just the fear of the unknown. I figured that most people cruise repeatedly so it must be good. I dealt with my nerves but researching the things I was concerned about on CC and talking to friends who had cruised before.

My first cruise exceeded expectations and I cant wait to go on another.

We are leaving on Cruise #13 (hopefully lucky 13) in 4 Days 9Hours 12 Minutes 39 Seconds

The "Butterfly's" have begun!

My main concern is always...the 6 hour flight the night before - and boarding on time

Our first cruise was a 10 Day Cruise out of PR - I was a total wreck! It was good that I did't get crazy until after the refund time had expired :D

The Cruise was so amazing, we came home and booked another

You are lucky, you found Cruise Critic in time, I had not - talk about nightmares and all of the useless stuff I packed etc.

As posted, the second you set foot on your ship, everything will be amazing. Waking up at our very first port (St. Croix) is never forgotten.

Again, just listen to the Veterans here on CC and all will be good. I feel the excitement and apprehension is normal.

I got nervous last November for the Panama Canal cruise we took in December. NOT our first cruise, but the first I approached hoping to enjoy the cruising and not just get from here to there.

I coped with it by reading lots on here, joining my Roll Call, -- and making very specific packing lists and spreadsheets... but that is me -- I have the analytical brain!

Could you share your packing list and spreadsheets please?