Is it time for 70's Party to be replaced?

LMaxwell

Never go. Grew up in the 70's and couldn't handle disco then. Why would I start now? A "discussion" my wife and I have on cruises :)...

Given that the 70's produced, among others:

Dark Side of the Moon

Darkness on the Edge of Town

Sticky Fingers

Exile on Main Street

Rumors

London Calling

The Wall

Houses of the Holy

Greetings from Asbury Park

The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust

Wish You Were Here

Quadraphenia

Born to Run

among others.

Last year on our 12 day on Jewell to Saint Petersburg, they did a British Invasion party, and it was a blast! But PLEASE, no more Village People!

I would love to hear some of that music on a cruise. The village people thing is so old, they don't even do it at weddings anymore.

It amazes me how rock groups from the late 60's and 70's still sell out live concerts and for outrageous prices in hours, and it's not just baby boomers there. Most of the audience is much younger.

Edited by gaylemh

The 70's party is fun, but it seems like the staff is going through motions. We had Richard Spacey on our last cruise - who I adore, BTW - and he tried to keep it fresh but it was essentially the same shtick I saw him do 6 years ago at the 70's party. I'll bet the staff would be re-energized at an 80's party, too.

If you ask me, I think an 80's party would be, like, OMG totally awesome ;)

Nah, let's go with the real heroes of 20th century music...

A Beatles Party. Now that would be fun!

They do a British Invasion party on at least some UK sailings, probably the longer ones. Beatles, The Who, Queen (Bohemian Rhapsody, of course), Stones, etc. It was pretty cool on the Jewell last summer in the Centrum.

My theory about line dancing is to get more participation -- most people don't participate as in the sailaway party etc. I haven't seen it in clubs, I have seen canga lines though. I get tired of it too.

I also have to tell you that my mother who is 81 years old who loves to dance after retiring decided on a second career as a line dance instructor. I say a career...because it is one -- I didn't realize they have special workshops, competitions worldwide. She has traveled to China to an international workshop. She choreographs her own dances and has learned how to use computers/ipad and downloads her music. She finds the dances on cruises to be very basic but still participates because she is very active and loves to dance. BTW, she doesn't charge for the classes, she holds beg, intermediate and advanced classes for any senior citizen over the age of 55. You should see those ladies putting on a show at different events. SO line dancing may be more popular than you realize.;)

I would have to disagree with you regarding the line dances. Line dancing is a great way to pack the dance floor. It allows shy people and solos to join in on the fun when they otherwise wouldn't. There are at most about 4 line dance songs they play. That doesn't seem like very many for an entire evening. I, for one would be very disappointed if they no longer played the line dances. I'm out there for every single one. If you try it you might like it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Yeah,I get why they have them, so many people like them, and it gets a lot of people out on the floor. But not for me!:D

We're doing a Med cruise in Sept out of Southampton on Adventure, we were on her last Jan in the Caribbean. It'll be interesting to see if the music is different with a larger British contingent.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Sure, it is a lot of fun, but more and more cruisers are people in their mid 20's-40's and young families who may connect more with an 80's themed party than a 70's themed party? I think times are passing by those interested in the 70's party and it may be due for an update at the very least to mix it up a bit. The 70's party is well done, but I just think an 80's party would get more people in their 40's and under more energized. Opinions?

Totally agree!

It is not really seventies music. It is disco music. The music of seventies included some of the best and worse of popular music. But what RCL does is a disco night. I like the tradition but I am not married to it. If they changed it, I would not feel a loss. I prefer the Schooner piano bar to seventies night anyway. :)

I especially liked out of Galveston the Adult Day Care Kamikaze Karaoke that was on board on certain sailings. Derek Lewis knew how to make it fun. At some point, I hope he can return to RCL out of Galveston.

I loved Derek. I still have my ring, tshirt and CD. :D

We're doing a Med cruise in Sept out of Southampton on Adventure, we were on her last Jan in the Caribbean. It'll be interesting to see if the music is different with a larger British contingent.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

If you are lucky it will be disco music from the 70's. :D

We went to our very first 70's party on our last cruise by accident! Sitting in the Schooner Bar at a table next to the bar and had a fantastic view. I thought it was great; high energy, loud music, and people rocking out everywhere!

I wouldn't retire the show...but it would be fun to see them put together another upbeat show featuring music from another decade.

IMO

The eighties is probably the worst"decade" of music. 60s and 70s the best(for a Classic Rock Fan)-Keep it 70s and bring in Led Zeppelin-Lynard Skynard and Bruuuuuccce-FREEBIRD!

Disco's dead-if you want to boogie pick your nose.

Edited by harry0

Sure, it is a lot of fun, but more and more cruisers are people in their mid 20's-40's and young families who may connect more with an 80's themed party than a 70's themed party? I think times are passing by those interested in the 70's party and it may be due for an update at the very least to mix it up a bit. The 70's party is well done, but I just think an 80's party would get more people in their 40's and under more energized. Opinions?

I've suggested this on our last few cruise comment cards!! 80's or 90's! We're in our early 30's and can't connect with disco at all. We are ready for something new!!

I have been on 29 cruises, 12 on Royal, so we've done enough of the Disco stuff..I say disco because that is what they play 90% of..it's a shame because when I think of the 70's, I think:Chicago, Styx, Zeppelin, Linda Ronstadt, McCartney, Rod Stewart, Three Dog Night, Bowie, Pink Floyd, and more. What RCI plays is just the disco part of the 70's, which was big from only '75-79, with the BeeGees, K.C., and Donna Summer being the biggies...FYI- in 2005, over 7500 DJ's around the world participated in a music poll to determine what eras were the best..the results were exactly as I predicted:

# 1 - 70's because of the variety of music ( rock,disco, heavy metal,punk,classic rock,etc..)

# 2 - 60's because of the Beatles & British Invasion ( my fav)

# 3 - 50's because of Elvis, doo-wop music

# 4 - 80's music ..mostly '80-'86

# 5 - 90's music

# 6 - 00-05 current music ( what a surprise it's last, huh??)

I would LOVE to hear a mix of music from 50's to 80's...I don't mind a little disco because it WAS a part of the 70's like Sat Night Fever stuff, but so was GREASE, a more 60's style music ( along with Oasis's Hairspray- great show!!)... I was a DJ for 10 years doing parties & events and I always played a variety of 50's-80's with a TINY bit of early 90's in there ( though it cleared the dance floor quickly sometimes, LOL..)....that way I would please just about everybody except those who wanted to hear hip- hop or Rap...those people would NEVER hear that from this DJ...TG!!!!

Big Al

I would imagine that a party would be a easy fix. Unlike a show where a huge expense and planning is required, parties seem like something that can be changed quickly.

There does need to be quality control and a streamlined experience, that's recognized.

So the question is why not change it every couple years?

Howbout combining 60s thru 90s. Make everyone happy.

I have been on 29 cruises, 12 on Royal, so we've done enough of the Disco stuff..I say disco because that is what they play 90% of..it's a shame because when I think of the 70's, I think:Chicago, Styx, Zeppelin, Linda Ronstadt, McCartney, Rod Stewart, Three Dog Night, Bowie, Pink Floyd, and more. What RCI plays is just the disco part of the 70's, which was big from only '75-79, with the BeeGees, K.C., and Donna Summer being the biggies...FYI- in 2005, over 7500 DJ's around the world participated in a music poll to determine what eras were the best..the results were exactly as I predicted:

# 1 - 70's because of the variety of music ( rock,disco, heavy metal,punk,classic rock,etc..)

# 2 - 60's because of the Beatles & British Invasion ( my fav)

# 3 - 50's because of Elvis, doo-wop music

# 4 - 80's music ..mostly '80-'86

# 5 - 90's music

# 6 - 00-05 current music ( what a surprise it's last, huh??)

I would LOVE to hear a mix of music from 50's to 80's...I don't mind a little disco because it WAS a part of the 70's like Sat Night Fever stuff, but so was GREASE, a more 60's style music ( along with Oasis's Hairspray- great show!!)... I was a DJ for 10 years doing parties & events and I always played a variety of 50's-80's with a TINY bit of early 90's in there ( though it cleared the dance floor quickly sometimes, LOL..)....that way I would please just about everybody except those who wanted to hear hip- hop or Rap...those people would NEVER hear that from this DJ...TG!!!!

Big Al

Turn out the lights (to the safest extent possible) the promenade and everybody wears white. Put on the music and beam the black lights.

IMO

The eighties is probably the worst"decade" of music. 60s and 70s the best(for a Classic Rock Fan)-Keep it 70s and bring in Led Zeppelin-Lynard Skynard and Bruuuuuccce-FREEBIRD!

Disco's dead-if you want to boogie pick your nose.

Stairway to Heaven, Thunder Road, and Free Bird aren't exactly fill-the-floor dance music though, and Sweet Home Alabama is about as overplayed as the disco stuff.

Disco may not be the best music, but it does fill up the dance floor pretty well.