Shareholder credit DENIED! Hopping mad!

I booked the Liberty of the Seas Jan 27th sailing for 5 nights for 2 people inside cabin, total paid $652.66 with a Florida resident discount. I book cruises all the time, cruise about once a month, and have never been denied my shareholder credit. Here is the e-mail I received from the "coupon redemption team:

Thank you for your email.

The requested shareholders onboard credit cannot be applied to reservation 2722810 as it is confirmed with pricing code Go Cruise (interline rates, chartered sailing, complimentary cruises, etc.) that is not combinable with the shareholders onboard credit offer

Kind Regards,

Coupon Redemption Team

WHAT????? I just sailed on the Liberty of the Seas last month and paid $200 LESS than what we are paying this time, and received the credit!! Have they changed the rules? Does anyone have any advice on what to do next? I did not use any of my diamond plus discounts, or a future cruise certificate, or any other obc. This was denied strictly because I got a good price on the cruise???? Please help!!!

Maybe you were lucky to be getting away with it before, but it's been a rule for a long time that you can't have more than one discount and they consider the shareholder benefit a kind of discount. I think it's been that way for several years at least (long as I can remember). Are you sure that wasn't some discount that got applied for the good price?

Tom

I booked the Liberty of the Seas Jan 27th sailing for 5 nights for 2 people inside cabin, total paid $652.66 with a Florida resident discount. I book cruises all the time, cruise about once a month, and have never been denied my shareholder credit. Here is the e-mail I received from the "coupon redemption team:

The requested shareholders onboard credit cannot be applied to reservation 2722810 as it is confirmed with pricing code Go Cruise (interline rates, chartered sailing, complimentary cruises, etc.) that is not combinable with the shareholders onboard credit offer

Kind Regards,

Coupon Redemption Team

WHAT????? I just sailed on the Liberty of the Seas last month and paid $200 LESS than what we are paying this time, and received the credit!! Have they changed the rules? Does anyone have any advice on what to do next? I did not use any of my diamond plus discounts, or a future cruise certificate, or any other obc. This was denied strictly because I got a good price on the cruise???? Please help!!!

Edited by tserface

I'm not aware of any recent changes in rules regarding the shareholder benefit OBC. It sounds like you were booked with a special rate that is specifically excluded from getting the benefit. Did you use something like a travel agent rate?

Edited by clarea

The rules have changed recently... or maybe they haven't changed recently.....can't really help....used my Visa points and denied all other credits/OBCs/discounts....arg...!!!!! Last time we used visa points it was combinable. It does sound like you got one of those booking "specials" and there is probably fine print that explains no other discounts. So I guess I am just being empathetic. Let's see if someone else can come up with an idea.

Edited by CRUIS4ME

Kind Regards,

Coupon Redemption Team

Advice on what to do next? Call RCI and discuss it with them. Perhaps start with the C & A Diamond Plus rep and let them direct you from there if they can't help. That would be the only way to get to the bottom of it and maybe get it favorably resolved.

That #: 800-526-9723

Edited by leaveitallbehind

"Go Cruise"? It sounds as if they think you already have a special discount code. Did you book via a travel agent? If so, maybe call the TA and ask about the booking code. If you booked direct, make the call the D+ desk and see if they can help you understand the special code. If prices are the same, maybe they can change the booking code.

I don't think this has anything to do with the total price you paid. And I really don't think RCI is going to nickel and dime people in this fashion. Honestly, it's not worth the hassle for them to look at an individual reservation and say "this person is already getting a good deal, we're not going to allow them to sweeten it!".

It sounds like you booked a rate that isn't compatible with certain other offers, including the shareholder discount.

I don't think this has anything to do with the total price you paid. And I really don't think RCI is going to nickel and dime people in this fashion. Honestly, it's not worth the hassle for them to look at an individual reservation and say "this person is already getting a good deal, we're not going to allow them to sweeten it!".

It sounds like you booked a rate that isn't compatible with certain other offers, including the shareholder discount.

That's exactly what they're doing.

That's exactly what they're doing.

I'm sure you're frustrated, but as a more impartial observer, I find it extremely unlikely that they would do that. I'm sorry you didn't get the deal you hoped for. Hopefully, if this is so unpalatable to you, it's not too late to cancel and look for an option that will better fit your financial needs.

Edited by macruisefan

No I did not get a travel agent rate. I got a florida resident discount, that is all. I almost always get that and have never been denied before.

Then I'd call C&A and ask them what is it about your rate that is making it incompatible with the shareholder benefit. Might just be a mistake, or some new rate code that the shareholder people didn't recognize.

Edited by clarea

Then I'd call C&A and ask them what is it about your rate that is making it incompatible with the shareholder benefit. Might just be a mistake, or some new rate code that the shareholder people didn't recognize.

This is some sage advice. Perhaps you can still get the discount. This certainly seems like a more plausible explanation than some sort of chicanery on the part of RCI...

Kind Regards,

Coupon Redemption Team

I think there is a good chance that the Coupon Redemption Team made a mistake. I would write them a polite email saying that you don't think you got a Go Cruise rate, and could they explain specifically what rate you got that makes you not eligible for the Shareholder OBC. As I understand it, the only discounts and/or OBCs that may be combined are On-Board-Booking OBC with C&A Balcony Discount. It wouldn't hurt your case if you stopped referring to the FL Residency Special Rate as a discount (Shareholder OBC may NOT be combined with a discount, but it may be combined with a Special Rate).

good luck

Thom

I think there is a good chance that the Coupon Redemption Team made a mistake. I would write them a polite email saying that you don't think you got a Go Cruise rate, and could they explain specifically what rate you got that makes you not eligible for the Shareholder OBC. As I understand it, the only discounts and/or OBCs that may be combined are On-Board-Booking OBC with C&A Balcony Discount. It wouldn't hurt your case if you stopped referring to the FL Residency Special Rate as a discount (Shareholder OBC may NOT be combined with a discount, but it may be combined with a Special Rate).

good luck

Thom

Thank you Thom, I am holding now to speak with someone, and I will explain that to them. Sounds like good advice.

Just so you have this while talking to them

9. Combinability?

Please note that as of December 31, 2008, the shareholder benefit offer is not combinable with other onboard credit offers, general loyalty offers, upgrade offers, chartered sailings, certain group sailings, "dollars off/wave" promotional offers, certain price programs, reservations made on a reduced rate/travel agent rate/inter-line rate and savings certificates. For bookings made prior to December 31, 2008, the Shareholder Onboard Credit is combinable under certain conditions. Please direct queries to investorrelations@rccl.comand a prompt response will be forthcoming.

A lot of codes have been tacked on to reservations since RCI changed their booking system (I'm not saying "upgraded," because it's been a complete PITA for me). I'm on hold trying to take advantage of a resident discount for a client, before final payment, nothing to disqualify it. But there's some kind of fare code on it that the agent can't figure out and she has to get somebody else to remove it. So now a simply 2-minute transaction takes 20.

OP, I hope it's resolved to your satisfaction!

A lot of codes have been tacked on to reservations since RCI changed their booking system (I'm not saying "upgraded," because it's been a complete PITA for me). I'm on hold trying to take advantage of a resident discount for a client, before final payment, nothing to disqualify it. But there's some kind of fare code on it that the agent can't figure out and she has to get somebody else to remove it. So now a simply 2-minute transaction takes 20.

Same thing when you try to get a military rate since they changed their system.

Thank you Thom, I am holding now to speak with someone, and I will explain that to them. Sounds like good advice.

how are you guys. hoping to cross paths on a future cruise. we are going march 29 on Indy.

Barb and Larry Bumb

No I did not get a travel agent rate. I got a florida resident discount, that is all. I almost always get that and have never been denied before.

I'd just email it back and explain that you are only getting the resident discount which does not disqualify the shareholder OBC

Yep! I've already been burned on their new computer changes. We must be very careful when trying for price changes, because if it's w/in 6 months, we lose $25 of our balcony discount. But probably the stupidest change lately was removing our pen and notepads from our staterooms. Because they're losing all the free publicity from those of us that used the Royal logo pens after we returned home.

Not good to upset the stockholders. It I don't like the changes, the next time they ask for my vote, it won't go well for them.

Still, very short sighted to refuse to combine OBC. We had $500 OBC on a recent Celebrity cruise, and since we had OBC, we booked several shore excursions on board. Usually we pre-book, and spend very little extra onboard. Since we had OBC we waited until we got onboard, and I spotted a shore excursion in the booklet that wasn't advertised online. So, we ended up booking that excursion in addition to the ones we'd picked on our list. With that OBC, we would have spent more than we usually do, because we usually don't bother studying the shore excursion booklets at all.

Edited by knittinggirl

Kind Regards,

Coupon Redemption Team

It is saying you booked under an interline rate, are you an airline or cruise employee? Interline rates can be deeply discounted especially after final payment. If you mistakenly booked an interline rate and get to the pier they will charge you the full fare. I would guess most other specials or obc aren't available with interline rates either.

Just saying....

Did they email you an invoice? If so I would check it to see what rate it was booked under. Maybe you thought you were getting the resident rate but got something else instead with other restrictions...

Sounds like you just need to call and discuss it with them. I'd start with C&A.