20+ Cruises and Now My 1st Inside!

helen haywood

I've always had balcony cabins but I realized on my last cruise (and it was a trans-atlantic!) that we rarely used our balcony. Instead, on Silhouette there were so many gorgeous outdoor spots we were really only in the cabin to sleep and shower. I had no plans to stop booking balconies....but an itinerary that I really wanted to do just never dropped the balcony prices to what I wanted to pay. Phooey. So I bit the bullet and we're going to do our first inside!

I'm actually looking forward to the new experience and of course I'm thrilled I'll be able to sail the Reflection's 16 night east bound TA!

Please refrain from telling me how miserable I'm going to be. I'm sure I'll be happy as a clam....and in the event I'm not I have a great hotel booked at the end of the cruise in Roma!

I have done insides five times now and it was fine. I never felt claustrophobic which was my initial fear. One thing that I will say on a transatlantic, it's best to be on decks 2 and 3 midship because that's where you feel the least amount on motion. On the Reflection I would try to be on deck three near the atrium because it is so wonderful to step a few feet down the hall into this space and walk up two flights to Bistro on Five!

On our next Celebrity cruise we are on deck 3 and I'm really looking forward to it. It is now my favorite deck on Celebrity. In our case we are doing an outside because on the Millenium they have added new outside cabins in the aft section that used to be part of the hallway. So these rooms have really huge windows.

The one piece of advise I would give anyone- especially those in an inside cabin is bring a travel alarm clock that lights up in the dark. This way if you wake and wonder if it's morning- there's your clock. That is a must in an inside.

Edited by rebeccalouiseagain

I have wanted to do this since we started cruising in 2005. I would really really like to hear back how this works for you.

for those of you who are in the traveling category that you have gained status and get priority; whether it be boarding, tendering, or whatever, this is also of interest to me. I have a hard time abiding long lines for anything, thus booking an inside cabin would not be the preferred room due to effect of being at the bottom of the barrel.

Thanks for posting, OP, this could turn out to be a lively discussion.

Scanditaly.

I've always had balcony cabins but I realized on my last cruise (and it was a trans-atlantic!) that we rarely used our balcony. Instead, on Silhouette there were so many gorgeous outdoor spots we were really only in the cabin to sleep and shower. I had no plans to stop booking balconies....but an itinerary that I really wanted to do just never dropped the balcony prices to what I wanted to pay. Phooey. So I bit the bullet and we're going to do our first inside!

I'm actually looking forward to the new experience and of course I'm thrilled I'll be able to sail the Reflection's 16 night east bound TA!

Please refrain from telling me how miserable I'm going to be. I'm sure I'll be happy as a clam....and in the event I'm not I have a great hotel booked at the end of the cruise in Roma!

You will be very happy. Have done several TA's and rarely if ever used balcony on them. We will be on the same Relection crossing, if it is the 4/26 from Miami,as you and only have a balcony because at the time we booked it was essentially the same as the inside cabin.

On previous TA met several folks who had inside and they were completely pleased with cabin and price.

BTW be sure to go to the roll call for this sailing. See you on board

Please come back afterwards and let us know how you did. I've never done an inside - I love a balcony and the fresh air, seeing the sun come up in the morning and the stars at night. Even without all of that - I worry about it being a safety issue - stupid I'm sure as who could survive a jump off the balcony so I realize it is all in my head. I'm not going to say you'll be miserable - I'm hoping you come back and say it was fine - as I might get the courage to give it a try myself.

LOL -- I get claustrophobic just going into an inside cabin, when we do cabin-crawls! :eek: And, I know that it's all in my head -- I'd be fine in exactly the same size cabin with a port-hole. I just have to be able to see outside. ;)

I have heard people say that you sleep very soundly in an inside cabin, since there is no daylight to wake you up. :cool:

I have booked quite a few insides over the years. Not any recently but

I am not claustrophbic so it never bothered me. I did sleep well. I usually

fall asleep with the tv on (that is just me) and that stays the same

whether I am in a balcony or an inside cabin.

I am not going to say you will be miserable...it is not something I would

tell anyone. We all have choices and hopefully we are all have our

own way of making the right decision for ourselves. I will say if you

go into it thinking you will be miserable? Then maybe you will be but

I have never been miserable on a cruise, whatever cabin I choose.:)

Thinking back over 11 years (that is when I started cruising) I had

many inside cabins at the start. Mostly because of the price and it was

all I could afford. I have saved enough that now I can do windows

and or/balconies and afford them too.

I also don't think courage has anything to do with it;).....for me

anyway. I live on my own and price is the biggest factor. If a window

and/or balcony is now in my budget? Then I book it.:)

Sorry to have given what looks like an essay on the subject:eek:

No, you will not be miserable, and yes, you will be happy as a clam. Many of our 30+ cruises have been in inside cabins, and we loved them all.

We frequently set the cabin tv on the bowcam station, and turn the sound off. We can see what's going on during the day, and if we wake during the night, we can tell right away if there is dark or daylight, whether we are approaching port, etc.

Enjoy your wonderful cruise.

We done only a couple inside rooms in the Seattle/Alaska area. As we are in the Seattle area and can get great last minute deals. I will say I did get some good sleep on the inside room for it is so dark. Yes a bright clock will be helpful. I do think a TA would be a nice place for a inside room. Richard

When I first started cruising in 1982, insides were all we could afford and balconies were a rarity. We paid the same price then as now, for oh so much less!!

The S class insides that I have peeked into look lovely and seem more spacious because the sliding door wall can be used for furniture.

One tip I have read is to leave the tv on the navigation channel with the camera on all night. Then when it starts to get light, you will know it!

We did our first inside cabin cruise last year - with Princess - so can't comment on Celebrity. Wasn't a problem though I prefer to have a balcony. We were no way claustrophobic - it just looked like an outside cabin with the curtains closed. One tip, we left our TV on ship-cam. At night it was dark and in the morning, obviously, we could then tell it was daylight. Otherwise, you don't have a clue whether it's dark or light.

We have been very happy when we cruised inside cabins. As you said, we were only there to change and to sleep. If it is a choice between cruising or not, I will definitely choose an inside cabin.

I tried an inside cabin last year on the Connie - first time ever! Had always had balcony cabins previously, but I was traveling as a solo and needed to cut the cost. It was on deck 9 and had great access to the buffet, stairs, and elevator.

Since I spend so little time in a cabin - sleep, shower, change clothes - it was no problem whatsoever. I just kept the bedside lamps on all the time. Also, the night light in the bathroom is enough to let you see where you are going in the middle of the night. Same as a balcony cabin......they get pitch dark at night also! :)

Enjoy the new experience! I don't think you will be disappointed.

Travel inside all the time. Money not the total issue, can't sleep when we get a balcony... always getting up and going outside at night. Never get more than a 4 hours sleep a night when we have a balcony. 50+ some cruises with 35+inside. Love sleep more than, fresh air?? Spend your "savings" on other extravagances.

We've done close to 30 cruises (two each year)...only one inside...never again...I'm on vacation/holiday and want to see the sun, ocean, stars, smell the fresh air, etc. Both DH and I will never ever do anything other than a veranda...seldom use it...but we know it's there whenever we choose to use it. We also spend 5 -6 hours daily (on sea days)out at the pool and the same time ...ship pool and/or beach on port days.

Very interested in hearing how you end up feeling about your inside choice.

Leave in morning for a Constellation 5 day inside. First ever. Not sure about this. I am claustrophobic in very small spaces, but wouldn't think a room would cause a problem. Couldn't pass up the price. We are balcony people, so we'll see how this goes!

It wasn't horrible...tried it once and now know we will not do it again.

We are the type that finds it difficult to go backwards...one reason we haven't gone the next step above Celebrity...looking at doing Regent this September....Azmara veranda is sold out.

Wishing you the best, please take good care of the Reflection, we are cruising on her this July. I'm too claustrophobic to book an inside and I also love my balcony too much. I'm an early riser and I really like to take my book and read on the balcony early in the morning while my family sleeps. To me that's priceless. Have a great cruise!!:):)

Edited by drarill

I am a terrible claustrophobic. Major anxiety for me. But bit the bullet and was in an inside on my last cruise (not Celebrity mind you) because my travel buddy was on a budget. Honestly, it felt like an ocean view with the curtains closed (faux window made all the difference for me). I actually slept like a baby because it was so dark and being on a lower deck had far less motion than I was used to.

It is not something I'd want to do on every trip but if it was between an inside cabin and not going at all, I'd take the inside.

I would think about getting one of those light alarm clocks that slowly gets brighter as your wake up time approaches. I found I could sleep the day away with no sunlight to gauge time.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

Well - there's the big PLUS that you'll have the ship and the itinerary you wanted.

Additionally you may be lucky and grab an upgrade to a higher category as transatlantics tend to have quite significant price drops when departure time gets nearer!

I am a balcony lover, as well. When I had the chance to take a last minute cruise(my dream itinerary), I booked a solo inside cabin. This was a port intensive cruise, so I was in the cabin only to sleep. That was the best sleeping 10 nights that I've spent at sea. Be positive and enjoy! I am still not convinced that I could sail with Hubby in an inside cabin.

One tip I have read is to leave the tv on the navigation channel with the camera on all night. Then when it starts to get light, you will know it!

Just off the Eclipse and I hate to tell you that the ship cam channel did not take up the full screen like it used to. The "view" was in a smaller box and there was a stupid scroll along on the bottom, like on a news channel. So if you leave it on all night now, it's bright like any other channel. :mad:

Having said that, I still woke up at my usual early time. This was my biggest worry with an inside cabin, that I'd lose all sense of time and sleep the morning away. For me the only thing I missed was not being able to see/feel the weather for myself in the morning, and not being able to see if there was going to be a decent sunset. I can live without those things.