Fate of Seafood Shack / Rita's Cantina on Oasis Class

jcg4550

Does anyone know if the Seafood Shack or Rita's Cantina are ever going to be replaced with another type of eatery on the Oasis / Allure. We have been on both ships several times and they never seem to be that busy throughout the cruise. They should consider making them into a Wings Cafe with lots of domestic & imported beers. Those chicken wing places draw crowds.

The Boardwalk seems so dead in the evenings. RCL should spend a day on Atlantic City's boardwalk - steak fries in a cup, Salt Water Taffy stores, etc.

Lets hear you thoughts!!

Edited by jcg4550

Seafood shack was very good food, but always empty. I agree they should try something else. I also thought they didn't play up the whole boardwalk thing quite enough. The ice cream place was not near as good as the usual Ben and Jerry's. On our cruise better utilizing the entrance, where the carved horses are, would have been a great improvement. That area was always empty and they tried pack all the activities into the area in front of Rockets, tooo packed for me.

Seafood shack was very good food, but always empty. I agree they should try something else. I also thought they didn't play up the whole boardwalk thing quite enough. The ice cream place was not near as good as the usual Ben and Jerry's. On our cruise better utilizing the entrance, where the carved horses are, would have been a great improvement. That area was always empty and they tried pack all the activities into the area in front of Rockets, tooo packed for me.

On our recent Oasis (October) the Boardwalk was dead most nights..one night we ate at JR's and were the only ones there and no one was at the Seafood Shack...Agree RCI needs to rethink their choices ... Maybe a place that does Crepes & Omeletts...would love this option especially late at night.

We were told by two staff members on our last Oasis cruise that there were plans to replace them with Margaritavilles. That was also more than a year an a half ago. Guess we will see with the upcoming Oasis 5-yr. drydock whether or not that was just the typical shipboard rumor mill.

I am only the messenger.....

Edited by leaveitallbehind

On our Oasis cruise, last month, we went to the seafood shack on the last night of the cruise. We ate at 6:30 PM and were 2 of 6 people in the Seafood Shack. Food was good, cost $16 for the 2 of us.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It may be RCI has over estimated the number of passengers willing to pay extra for dining.

You may be right. I kept thinking Rita's Rita's Rita's before I went on Allure, but I couldn't see paying and passing up MDR dinner for it.

I think RCI is learning that come dinner time PAX will pay for something specialized and slightly upscale, but not for the casual chain-like places.

I don't think RCI overestimated the number of people willing to pay extra to dine. I think they underestimated their standards! Both Ritas and Seafood Shack or really poor to fair interpretations of the food they are presenting. Seafood shack is nothing but a glorified Long John Silvers- frozen breaded seafood coming out of the deep fryer. Rita's is cafeteria mexican- baked meats and peppers for the fajitas, etc...

I think if they could ever find a way to have decent seafood anywhere on board (even the seafood in 150 Central Park is frozen), they would make a huge step forward. And if they re-did Rita's into a real taqueria, it could be hopping. I mean this is food that is most brilliantly prepared in food trucks and road side stands. They certainly have the space!

I don't think RCI overestimated the number of people willing to pay extra to dine. I think they underestimated their standards! Both Ritas and Seafood Shack or really poor to fair interpretations of the food they are presenting. Seafood shack is nothing but a glorified Long John Silvers- frozen breaded seafood coming out of the deep fryer. Rita's is cafeteria mexican- baked meats and peppers for the fajitas, etc...
I ate in Rita's one night was very disappointed. The food was subpar, and not really good at all.

I think if they could ever find a way to have decent seafood anywhere on board (even the seafood in 150 Central Park is frozen), they would make a huge step forward. And if they re-did Rita's into a real taqueria, it could be hopping. I mean this is food that is most brilliantly prepared in food trucks and road side stands. They certainly have the space!

Everything meat related on RCCL is frozen. Even the steaks in Chops are not fresh. I always am amazed when people are excited to get lobster tail that pales in comparison to the incredible lobster we get here in New England fresh off the boat.

The issue though is that much of the excellent food prepared locally is cooked over an open flame. That would never happen on a cruise ship.

The issue though is that much of the excellent food prepared locally is cooked over an open flame. That would never happen on a cruise ship.

I respectfully disagree. Ships use induction cooktops, and very good ovens. Quality food can be prepared exceptionally with those techniques. Sure, it's easier to broil a steak in a gas flame broiler, but that doesn't mean you can't put out an exceptional product.

The real problem is that it is mass market production. And then the places that aren't (Chops, 150) are still at the mercy of mass market type supply.

I've been to a Margaritaville (Universal) and it's nothing that I would pay for on a cruise ship when I can get the dinner that is already included in my cruise fare. It's all casual dining, and everyone has a different favorite. I like Chilli's, but I will never set foot in a Mexican anything. Starbucks? as a New Englander give me my Dunkin' Donuts coffee and I'll probably be there every morning. Seafood Shack? Nothing on a cruise ship can deliver like a local New England clam shack. Izumi? Never! We have tried Johnny Rockets, but it was never busy.

Last cruise we tried Chops. It was OK, but I'll never do it again unless someone else pays. None of the other restaurants interest me.

It's all personal taste, and I stand by my comments. RCI will continue to have difficulty filling these pay for play restaurants.

I like Chilli's, but I will never set foot in a Mexican anything....Izumi? Never!

These are two rather odd statements. I assume you just don't care from Mexican or Japanese fare. But it reads like it's a foregone conclusion that no right thinking person would ever choose such dining options...

I agree that both restaurants are just "so-so." Am so hoping that OASIS III will have a more stimulating boardwalk experience (maybe some games??) and a more appealing restaurant. It seems such a shame that it is underused in the evenings. (the Aqua Theatre rocks!!)

Of course, sometimes when RCI gets things right, they actually become a victim of their own success. Take a look at the lines on embarkation day for a roast beef sandwich at Park Cafe! Maybe if they really nailed a casual venue with great food on The Boardwalk, it would become a madhouse...

But would Park Cafe be packed if everyone had to pay for the sandwiches? I like them, and have them almost everyday on board, but if I had to pay...I might have them once. Might.

I agree with the comment that people will pay for upscale food/experience but are more hesitant to pay for casual fair. There has to be a reason to justify the cost, and the quality is just not there with a lot of the casual food.

I think to perk the Boardwalk up, you need a non-pay food venue in the Rita's/Seafood Shack location. Draw people farther in and give them a reason to stay when the shows aren't on.

These are two rather odd statements. I assume you just don't care from Mexican or Japanese fare. But it reads like it's a foregone conclusion that no right thinking person would ever choose such dining options...

I agree, that's how it sounds.:) It really was meant to be perceived that way. I was just trying to focus on the point of dining preference. Not only does RCI have to get the choice correct, they have to fight the FREE dining room and WindJammer.

But would Park Cafe be packed if everyone had to pay for the sandwiches? I like them, and have them almost everyday on board, but if I had to pay...I might have them once. Might.

I agree with the comment that people will pay for upscale food/experience but are more hesitant to pay for casual fair. There has to be a reason to justify the cost, and the quality is just not there with a lot of the casual food.

I think to perk the Boardwalk up, you need a non-pay food venue in the Rita's/Seafood Shack location. Draw people farther in and give them a reason to stay when the shows aren't on.[/QUOTE]

Agree. We've had Boardwalk balconies and have observed Johnny Rockets packed out at breakfast time when it's a free venue.

Seems cruisers want an "experience in dining" if they have to pay extra, casual food fare can be had as inclusive in the fare at the various options on the Oasis class.

Edited by denamo

Possibly keep the donut shop and add a hotdog vendor on the seafood side and maybe a taffy /cotton candy shop. Give it a real boardwalk feel, oh and dump the ice cream shop for free soft serve or a real Ben and Jerrys

Sorry..but I for one hate those so called "donuts"...and on our Oasis cruise you could get cotton candy ($) one night we noticed in the Promenade.